PDA

View Full Version : What a royal pain in the a$$ -- way to ruin a good forum

test

tsull1
08-04-2010, 01:17 PM
I loved the old black forum. What in the world is this? This stinks and it took me forever to get in. Classic: It says my e-mail was not registered previously -- it was. So then I put my old password in -- tsull - and it says it's already in use.

So let me get this straight: The old password works that is attached to my old e-mail, but the old e-mail isn't registered.

I loved the old black board, why in the world did they get rid of it? I can't believe this.

ralpht
08-04-2010, 01:42 PM
Hang in there T. you will grow to love it.

arrr&bee
08-04-2010, 03:14 PM
Hey tsull i'm with you,i wanna go home but they packed up and moved in the middle of the night,now i know how the[colts]fans felt...this ain't right!!!

juicefree20
08-04-2010, 04:15 PM
Hang in there guys. I know that it'll take a while to get used to, but when you weigh the positive additions, you'll grow to love it. It may even make the forum a more peaceful place & save Ralph & Lowell a lot of agita.

The folks who can't stand one another & argue...there's now an ignore button that can help one save themselves from responding back, or even reading posts from an offending individual. Someone hates long posts from someone such as myself? Hit the "ignore" button & POOF...BE GONE!!!

Plus, we can post bigger pictures now & that's gotta be great. Now I don't have to reduce the quality of my pictures in order to fit the 50 kb limitation of the old forum. I think that after an adjustment period & perhaps a few more choices of skins [[yes, I miss the old color scheme terribly), this place is going to be feeling & looking mighty great. The diferrence between the two forums is the difference between shooting with a Nikon D50 & a Nikon D300.

And while my Nikon D50 gets me by, there's nothing like shooting with the speed & power of my Nikon D300!

copley
08-04-2010, 04:19 PM
I love it, think it's a great improvement. We have to move with the times or get left behind.

ladyvanaye
08-04-2010, 04:22 PM
I said the same thing about this pastel coloring...dont like it, no sir, not at all...:[[

robb_k
08-04-2010, 04:23 PM
Lowell can put in black background skin choice. Based on so many people's complaints, I'm sure that he will. Right now he's got to help the old members transfer over. If we all let him know what we don't like about this new format, I'm sure he'll do what he can to address those problems.

Like Juice, I'm really happy about the old 50 kb limit on pictures being removed. Now I can post label scans again, and decent sized photos.

http://a.imageshack.us/img85/9633/av5e.jpg
By rob_k [[http://profile.imageshack.us/user/rob_k) at 2010-08-03

ladyvanaye
08-04-2010, 04:29 PM
Ok I agree with the scan thing Robb, because I could never get it right on the other forum. Ill get used to it - and pray for darker colors. LOL.

grapevine
08-04-2010, 07:16 PM
...I've opted for the 'Default Style' ...see bottom of screen ...gets rid of all those garrish colours

...where's that 'ignore button'...?

:)

GeeTee(HPK)
08-04-2010, 07:23 PM
I'm adapting to the new format. [[slowly,but adapting) :)

honest opinions
08-04-2010, 11:14 PM
I like the whole "being in the 21st century" thing. The change will scare some folks off- and if they are that afraid of change, some advice here....we only go forwards in life not back.

jillfoster
08-04-2010, 11:59 PM
It told me that my email was invalid, too.. all I did was follow the link, and included my current email and username, and Lowell sent me a new password, and I got right in. EASY AS PIE. The new features are GREAT... that way people who consider me a pain in the ass can ignore me!LOL My biggest thing is before I had to enter my username and password EVERY TIME I made a posting. i'm looking forward to this!

Lowell
08-05-2010, 12:03 AM
The old server, forum software for which some of you pine was obsolete, discontinued, no longer supported and shutting down. The old forum was crashing the server. We didn't have a choice. You can drive a 78 Cutlass just so far. One day it won't go over 30, there is no more Oldsmobile, no more parts and no one fixes them.

Want to talk about a pain in the a$$ ? Try this.

This transition has already cost me personally over $1000 in software, server and labor fees. I have close to 40 hours in on this project, a good chunk of that moving and preserving the interlinked quarter million web pages [[http://faac.us/adf/messages/board-topics.html) from the old forum so that our members and the world will have access to them. Today's launch has been a 14 hour day. We handled over 60 email support requests today, including two to the author of this thread, and made countless tweaks and adjustments to the forum. And we have many, many hours to go.

Just sayin...

solemannking
08-05-2010, 12:14 AM
I love the new changes, sure it will take some getting use to, but in time it will all work out for the best.

theboyfromxtown
08-05-2010, 05:08 AM
Lowell

When David started this forum, you will recall that the posters all chipped in with some money. We also got funds from selling a 45. I'm still happy to put my hand in my pocket because I want this venture to succeed.

You just need to say how....

paladin
08-05-2010, 10:51 AM
I agree with boyfrommxtown, when the smoke clears let us know !

soulster
08-05-2010, 01:02 PM
Tsull, the reason it showed that your name was already in use is because it is tied to your email, whatever it was.

I had no problem getting in here whatsoever. I love this place now!

daddyacey
08-05-2010, 01:52 PM
Heyyyy !!!!!!!!!!!! This is nice!!!!!!! I don't mind if we have to pass the hat around. Thanks a lot Lowell ,you did good work.
Wowww , it's even got that new web site smell :D

mr_june
08-05-2010, 02:06 PM
I like the brighter website much better than the dark one. The last time I was there I was thinking how much better it would be if the black was loss. Whole new feeling to the new SDF.

Lowell
08-05-2010, 03:45 PM
One we get by the startup rush we will make an 'old school' black background skin. If you try the quick style changer, in the bottom left of any page, we have a couple of test alternative skins. You will be able to choose the style of you liking.

theboyfromxtown
08-05-2010, 03:51 PM
Lowell

I think the default style is the easiest on my eyes.

pshark
08-05-2010, 03:58 PM
Thanks Lowell for your hard work & dedication. And yes if you setup a paypal
acct, we can ease you with some of the financial burden with donations

imnokid
08-05-2010, 05:08 PM
I don't like the look, either.

sunshineonacloudyday
08-05-2010, 05:18 PM
I lke the SDF Orange! [[select lower left/default style)

tamla617
08-05-2010, 07:46 PM
i've just tried the default button and redecorated the page and killed my eyes in the process.
i'll get used to it,but at the moment its like coming home and finding your front room where the kitchen used to be and the toilet half way up the stairs and i cant find my records! anyway the futures bright the future is sdf red 1!
what happens if i hit the go advanced button?do i have to wear special gear will i wake up and find out sdf red 1 was just a figment.
well done to everyone involved in the re organising of the site..i was only joking......i think!

luke
08-05-2010, 07:53 PM
Chill. I didnt like the last one at first. Change is tough but as Ralph says we will grow to love this one. Thanks Ralph for all the hard work.

jillfoster
08-05-2010, 08:39 PM
Heyyyy !!!!!!!!!!!! This is nice!!!!!!! I don't mind if we have to pass the hat around. Thanks a lot Lowell ,you did good work.
Wowww , it's even got that new web site smell :D

that's my new deodorant, Daddy!!

oldiesmusicfan
08-05-2010, 11:30 PM
i've just tried the default button and redecorated the page and killed my eyes in the process.
i'll get used to it,but at the moment its like coming home and finding your front room where the kitchen used to be and the toilet half way up the stairs and i cant find my records! anyway the futures bright the future is sdf red 1!
what happens if i hit the go advanced button?do i have to wear special gear will i wake up and find out sdf red 1 was just a figment.
well done to everyone involved in the re organising of the site..i was only joking......i think!

Tamla 617, that was really funny. Also Kamasu's "I can't control my mouse" made me laugh out loud for some reason.

We'll all get used to the new forum sooner or later. It has some great features that the old forum didn't provide. I do miss the black background though. Much more colorful.

Oldies

soulster
08-06-2010, 01:01 AM
The reddish default does tend to cause eyestrain. But my lady friend would love it. Red's her color! But, she doesn't do message boards.

uptight
08-06-2010, 01:57 AM
Yeah, the black background was easiest on the eyes. With the black background, you can visit this site longer without the eyestrain of a stark white background. With a stark white background, you run the risk of "losing your audience" quicker. On Windows computers, I don't think there is a way to invert the colors on your screen the way you can for a Mac. Thank goodness I'm on a Mac, but when the "old school" option becomes available, I won't have to invert my screen colors.

mistrivia1
08-06-2010, 03:15 AM
Lowell....thanks for the new password and having not been here in a few....I SO appreciate what you have done out of love for music and people, with this change...sounds like a lot of work...WOW!:)

dave_clegg
08-06-2010, 08:06 AM
thanks lowell for your hard work & dedication. And yes if you setup a paypal
acct, we can ease you with some of the financial burden with donations
* seconded *

dew002
08-06-2010, 10:28 AM
I went from no access on my cell phone to finally getting back on.
The old format didn't fit my new lifestyle [[w/o pc).
New tech is WELCOME!

Livingallalone
08-06-2010, 11:09 AM
I had to rename my self also as it claimed my email was not on file.....oh well.....Life will go on..lol

Bill

ladymystique
08-06-2010, 12:09 PM
I agree! It took me a while to get here, and I'm still getting used to this new forum! I agree with the photo feature! The current photo I uploaded is really huge but it was accepted! :D

Hang in there guys. I know that it'll take a while to get used to, but when you weigh the positive additions, you'll grow to love it. It may even make the forum a more peaceful place & save Ralph & Lowell a lot of agita.

The folks who can't stand one another & argue...there's now an ignore button that can help one save themselves from responding back, or even reading posts from an offending individual. Someone hates long posts from someone such as myself? Hit the "ignore" button & POOF...BE GONE!!!

Plus, we can post bigger pictures now & that's gotta be great. Now I don't have to reduce the quality of my pictures in order to fit the 50 kb limitation of the old forum. I think that after an adjustment period & perhaps a few more choices of skins [[yes, I miss the old color scheme terribly), this place is going to be feeling & looking mighty great. The diferrence between the two forums is the difference between shooting with a Nikon D50 & a Nikon D300.

And while my Nikon D50 gets me by, there's nothing like shooting with the speed & power of my Nikon D300!

kevgo
08-06-2010, 12:24 PM
Wow...finally made it out here...nice!
Kevin Goins - KevGo

tsull1
08-06-2010, 01:01 PM
I'm getting used to it, I still like the old one -- I'm a nostaligic. That's where I discovered all these great soul music fans.

I'll get used to this in due time.

weldon
08-06-2010, 06:31 PM
just a test to see how to put photos on the forum

ladymystique
08-06-2010, 06:44 PM
Nice pic! ;)

daddyacey
08-08-2010, 02:48 AM
LOL @ Jill , you got the joke:D

midnightman
08-08-2010, 03:34 AM
lol I can see why people will be tensed. But change is good once people get the hang of it. :D

I requested a password and they gave me an alternative password so that's how I was able to get in. After that I was cool with the site as long as I logged in. :)

midnightman
08-08-2010, 03:37 AM
...I've opted for the 'Default Style' ...see bottom of screen ...gets rid of all those garrish colours

...where's that 'ignore button'...?

:)

Click on the person's profile, it should be located at the left somewhere lol

voosh
08-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Interesting. Some of the folks who are crabbing did find their way here to complain.

I like Lowell's comparison - Old Oldsmobile just can't be fixed or upgraded. Ya move on.

Minor blip in life, compared to moving from Detroit to LA. Or [[political comment,) going to Iraq or Afghanistan.

Nice job on the transition. IMHO.

And yes, being the sentimental fool I am, I keep my original Ampeg B15 bass amp from the mid-60s in working shape.

:D

rich
08-08-2010, 01:13 PM
This forum is WAAAAYYY better than it used to be. Now its set up like every other forum in the world.
It just will take time for forum newbies to get used to it.
I love the new Soulful! Thanks for taking the time to update it!

No complaints here.

midnightman
08-08-2010, 01:27 PM
@voosh, yeah it's not that drastic of a move but some change is difficult for some people. They'll get the hang of it, I'm hopeful. :D

mark speck
08-08-2010, 02:04 PM
Mixed feelings...I'm happy to have gotten in, after I-don't-know-how-many attempts [[once again, thanks, Lowell), but I'm still not happy that my post count has not been fixed. I feel like a newbie here, and I've been on this Forum about eight years! So you can all go and laugh at me! :[[

Best,

Mark

destruction
08-08-2010, 03:19 PM
Mixed feelings...I'm happy to have gotten in, after I-don't-know-how-many attempts [[once again, thanks, Lowell), but I'm still not happy that my post count has not been fixed. I feel like a newbie here, and I've been on this Forum about eight years! So you can all go and laugh at me! :[[

Best,

Mark

Mark,

I will donate 399 of my posts until you get back on your feet.....and an additional 99...cause you're in Cleveland

imnokid
08-08-2010, 03:27 PM
Voosh
The B-15 is THE bass amp. What a sound. Put some flat wounds on your Tele Bass and go!

imnokid
08-08-2010, 03:28 PM
Hey Mark

Looks like I'm a junior member, too.
How does that shit work, anyway?

paladin
08-08-2010, 04:21 PM
Mark & Imnokid, I feel your pain....hopefully this can be fixed at a later date.....

@ Des........feeling Bmore charitable huh ?

I had google tool bar spell check until it started erasing all my posts when I activated it, I had to download the one thats recommended by the forum........but overall the format is solid, had to get rid of the red/orange color too, the default at least lets me stay here for a while.......there a quite a few positives about the new format........messaging, friends. contacts, profile page etc..........I am learning........

Oh yeah had to get used to being "Paladin" again after the entire membership finally caught on to "Kdubya" [[KW)......oh well.....

GeeTee(HPK)
08-08-2010, 05:08 PM
It took me a few days to accept the new format,and I happen to say,it's not that bad. I'm happy to see that most of the folks from the forum are back. [[and even happier that some will not be returning. I won't mention any names,but they were poison to the forum anyway) :)

As long we can continue to have interesting discussions and sharing knowledge & information,then it's all good to me. :)

ralpht
08-08-2010, 05:23 PM
That's okay, Kdub. Palladin has an air of mystery about it. It works.

paladin
08-09-2010, 08:21 AM
I hear you Ralph, its minor, the words will speak for themselves, in the long run this was the right thing to do.:cool:

soulster
08-09-2010, 01:17 PM
[[and even happier that some will not be returning. I won't mention any names,but they were poison to the forum anyway) :)

Nope! I've already spotted one.

GeeTee(HPK)
08-09-2010, 04:46 PM
I guess you'll have one or two,that will slip through the cracks.......

wonder_b
08-09-2010, 11:42 PM
PHEWWWWWWWWWWW it took me forever to get back here!!! LOL
It sure IS different, but like everybody else, we'll get used to it.
At least I'll be able to post pics not thumbnails like on the older one.
The only thing is : how do you manage to upload and display an avatar?

soulster
08-10-2010, 12:42 AM
The only thing is : how do you manage to upload and display an avatar?

That's probably the most popular question on this forum right now. :D

paladin
08-10-2010, 01:12 AM
As far as I can tell that function hasn't been activated yet although you can post it on your profile.

tomato tom
08-11-2010, 03:35 PM
Took me a while to get back on, but I figured it out. with help from the wonderful Lowell. GREAT JOB. I like the new site..Paulo

robbert
08-11-2010, 07:54 PM
Hi everybody, to my own surprise I got into the new forum in only a few minutes.
In the meantime I spotted interesting new offers from Amazon UK [[Smokey's first two solo albums in box set) and more...
I really hope that all the veterans [[the likes of Susaye Green, Dennis Coffey, Deke Richards)) will be able to find their way to this new format.
Good work, Ralph and Lowell! Maybe the background could become a shade of grey, better than the pure white that it is now... no need for me to reinstall the black background.