PDA

View Full Version : Mary Wilson Anthology: SPOILERS!

test

marybrewster
01-20-2022, 08:13 PM
I thought it might be fun to start a thread for those that have already received Mary's MOTOWN ANTHOLOGY, so we can discuss freely without spoiling it for those that haven't received it. Mine is scheduled to arrive Monday the 24th of January, so I won't be checking this thread until then, but for those of you that have, post and discuss away!

thanxal
01-21-2022, 07:13 PM
TOUCH!!!! OMG!
EARLY MORNING LOVE!!! WOW!

These are outrageously well done.

thanxal
01-21-2022, 07:15 PM
When Mary died, I couldn't stop listening to "Don't Let My Teardrops Bother You". This version is so well done. Just beautiful. So bittersweet.

Edit: The mix on this is so good!

thanxal
01-21-2022, 07:22 PM
I don't ever recall hearing such a clear, brilliant mix of Automatically Sunshine. What did you guys do? It's like I'm hearing this song for the first time in stereo after listening to it all these years on a 78rpm. ALTERNATE LYRICS!!!!! Whoa. Blown away....

kenneth
01-21-2022, 08:58 PM
This is great to read because mines not coming till Monday. I can’t believe it’s more than another month before it gets to the UK. Maybe that will happen faster.

Please tell us more!

lakeside
01-21-2022, 09:07 PM
Wow....just wow. So much love was put into this. The pictures are stunning.
A real treasure for us fans. Thank you. This was a gift, indeed.

kenneth
01-21-2022, 09:47 PM
Are there many photos we haven’t seen before?

luckyluckyme
01-21-2022, 10:48 PM
In addition to what's already been said:

I can see why the January 13, 1970 performances were chosen
"Ol sexpot over here"
"The devil made you do that. The devil said 'Get on over there and mess with that man" Who was that man; likey a random gentleman?

The alternate vocals/mixes were fantastic. Kevin Reeves is to be commended for removing the sharpness from Jean Terrell entrances and achieving a perfect balance between Mary & Jean. And the integration of instrumental tracks was breathtaking and etheral.
With 'I Keep It Hid' the Webbinacle Blossom Choir was sparingly used in such a way that even Lynda Laurence's backgrounds could at times be prominently heard.

A few questions for Andy/George...
On 'If You Let Me Baby, there is a voice that at :16-20 and 1:18-1:20 hauntingly rings through. At first it sounded like Flo Ballard which I assume would not have been possible. So please refresh my memory.. Which Andante emulated/approximated Flo's vocal tones?

And on 'Automatically Sunshine' [a la 'Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love] I believe I am hearing Smokey Robinson joining in on the background at 3:48-3:56. Is that correct?

bradsupremes
01-21-2022, 11:28 PM
Give a good listen to "Floy Joy" - They're singing FLOYD JOY

luckyluckyme
01-21-2022, 11:34 PM
Give a good listen to "Floy Joy" - They're singing FLOYD JOY

Pg. 38 points out that fact as well as the word 'stone' in Stoned Loved'. And pg. 7 gives a similar twist to 'Witchi Tai To' and 'Stone[d] Love'.

luckyluckyme
01-22-2022, 06:47 AM
Have you ever felt vindicated and then humbled in a few split seconds? Growing up, we had a stereo console unit [bought at a privately owned thrift store] in the living room. Once my next oldest brother graduated high school, he began to save money and bought a more recent used model for the bedroom we shared. It was there that I listened to Floy Joy. When I first heard it, I wondered why I repeatedly heard 'Floyd' while the song title was clearly printed as 'Floy Joy'
But I also must confess that I also had trouble deciphering the line 'Your real name may be Smith or Jones'. To me it sounded as if Mary were singing 'Your real name may be Spitball Jones'. Oh well, such is life.

luckyluckyme
01-22-2022, 07:40 AM
In the booklet [pg. 7] Deke Richards in a past interview recollected that he wrote 'If You Let Me Baby' especially for Mary. Annotations on pg. 36 show recording dates as unknown. Chris Clark's version of the song was part of her U.K. Motown Collection. There it states 'Track cut 1 January, 1969; strings and Horns added 15 January 1969; lead recorded 31 January 1969". That and Mary's rendition are definitely distinct recordings. It should be likely that Mary's instrumental track would have been recorded earlier than Chris'. But perhaps we shall never know.

thanxal
01-22-2022, 10:26 AM
Shouldn't Automatically Sunshine be labeled "Alternate Vocal and Mix"? There is a completely different lyric on the second verse.

thanxal
01-22-2022, 10:44 AM
Have you ever felt vindicated and then humbled in a few split seconds? Growing up, we had a stereo console unit [bought at a privately owned thrift store] in the living room. Once my next oldest brother graduated high school, he began to save money and bought a more recent used model for the bedroom we shared. It was there that I listened to Floy Joy. When I first heard it, I wondered why I repeatedly heard 'Floyd' while the song title was clearly printed as 'Floy Joy'
But I also must confess that I also had trouble deciphering the line 'Your real name may be Smith or Jones'. To me it sounded as if Mary were singing 'Your real name may be Spitball Jones'. Oh well, such is life.
This is what an EXCELLENT mix will do. For years I heard people say just what you did and could never hear that elusive "d" at the end of Floy. But on this mix it is unmistakable. Maybe it's the vocal isolation at the beginning. You can hear it clear as day when Mary sings it.

daviddh
01-22-2022, 11:01 AM
i am assuming Touch is still a duet with Jean?
thanks for all the posts.enjoy reading the info as mine has not arrived. mine states Sold Out still

thanxal
01-22-2022, 11:30 AM
i am assuming Touch is still a duet with Jean?
thanks for all the posts.enjoy reading the info as mine has not arrived. mine states Sold Out still
Yes, but it is a mix I've never heard [[or maybe did and forgot? Does anyone know if this mix has appeared anywhere else? I don't think it has). As someone wrote on one of these threads, Kevin did such a good job taking the sharp edge off Jean's entry that if it isn't a completely new mix it is a very good remix. But I can hear chimes [[?, or a keyboard set to glockenspiel?... I almost want to say electric vibraphone) mixed very softly in the intro I've never heard anywhere else.

George Solomon
01-22-2022, 12:21 PM
A few answers. First, I'm loving the response! Thank you.
The extra voice you hear on "If You Let Me Baby" is Mary's. It's a second vocal take and I thought it would sound good to double her in spots [[as with Diana's double lead on You Keep Me Hangin' On). Listening now, I wish it had been louder because it sounds a little more like a bleed through than a choice.
"Automatically Sunshine" also Mary's voice you are hearing. Smokey doesn't sing on this one.
Times were changing by 1970. Mary grew from "the sexy one" to "sexpot." That was Diana's standard intro to "Falling In Love With Love." It's only on the very last performance that she cuts herself off before she got to that line because she was running out of intro and it sounds like she wanted to stop talking because Mary was about to sing the first line. However Gil vamped the intro again [[as you hear on Farewell) giving Mary a longer introduction.
Obviously, "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" and "Falling In Love With Love" weren't back to back in the actual concert. During the applause of Can't Take My Eyes we cut to the patter that was after "Big Spender." Clearly Mary was having some fun with a lucky man in the audience! I love the playful patter between Diana and Mary.
Since this is a spoiler alert thread, yes "Touch" is still a duet with Jean. But we found there was more Mary that wasn't used in the 1971 mix so we restored it. More Cindy too!

kenneth
01-22-2022, 12:53 PM
Awesome insights! Thanks George Solomon!

danman869
01-22-2022, 01:08 PM
George, to add to/question about "If You Let Me Baby," isn't that Jean and Cindy doing background [and maybe with Mary]? To me, what LuckyLuckyMe was thinking was one of the Andantes sounds more like Jean's distinct sound.

You and Andy [and Kevin] have done a marvelous job on this set. BRAVO!

Boogiedown
01-22-2022, 01:10 PM
A few answers. First, I'm loving the response! Thank you.
The extra voice you hear on "If You Let Me Baby" is Mary's. It's a second vocal take and I thought it would sound good to double her in spots [[as with Diana's double lead on You Keep Me Hangin' On). Listening now, I wish it had been louder because it sounds a little more like a bleed through than a choice.
"Automatically Sunshine" also Mary's voice you are hearing. Smokey doesn't sing on this one.
Times were changing by 1970. Mary grew from "the sexy one" to "sexpot." That was Diana's standard intro to "Falling In Love With Love." It's only on the very last performance that she cuts herself off before she got to that line because she was running out of intro and it sounds like she wanted to stop talking because Mary was about to sing the first line. However Gil vamped the intro again [[as you hear on Farewell) giving Mary a longer introduction.
Obviously, "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" and "Falling In Love With Love" weren't back to back in the actual concert. During the applause of Can't Take My Eyes we cut to the patter that was after "Big Spender." Clearly Mary was having some fun with a lucky man in the audience! I love the playful patter between Diana and Mary.
Since this is a spoiler alert thread, yes "Touch" is still a duet with Jean. But we found there was more Mary that wasn't used in the 1971 mix so we restored it. More Cindy too!

^^great stuff!^^
"Mary grew from "the sexy one" to "sexpot.""
hee haw!

sorry danman for stepping on your post/question.
I hope George sees it above!

George Solomon
01-22-2022, 04:03 PM
Mary and Cindy are definitely in the background on "If You Let Me Baby." But there are one or two other voices. Sometimes I think it's Jean but honestly I'm not 100 percent sure.

jim aka jtigre99
01-22-2022, 05:27 PM
I am bout halfway through side 1 and I am so impressed how clear and crisp everything sounds. The booklet and CD is produced so very well. Mary's voice is so beautiful and warm.

thanxal
01-22-2022, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the 411 George. Can you tell we love it, love it, love it???????
Please tell the powers that be!

ejluther
01-22-2022, 07:33 PM
What a beautiful package - I can’t wait to dig into it [[mine just arrived)! Did Mary get to see/hear it before she died? I certainly hope so…

johnjeb
01-22-2022, 08:24 PM
A beautiful release. I just spent 3 hours listening and reading. This upcoming week I will just listen without reading and read without listening so that I can get the full effect of the music and absorb the information in the booklet.

I wasn’t sure I would like the alternates but they are lovely. The booklet is stunning and packed with interesting commentary. I appreciate the listing of other vocals that feature Mary, whether as a solo or a co-lead, that were not included in this anthology. I hope to compile a Playlist that features Mary and Florence.

Great job to all concerned. Well worth the wait but sad Mary isn’t here to enjoy it with us.

Spreadinglove21
01-22-2022, 10:26 PM
My copy arrived this afternoon. I've just given the discs a play and read through the booklet. I'm impressed. So much to gleam in the many alternate cuts used on this collection which only repeated listens will provide and this is well worth listening to many times.

I'll contribute two "spoilers": One, I really enjoyed Louvain Demps contributions of her memories of Mary in the booklet.

And, I really liked the album version of Why Can't We All Get Along with the extended intro of Mary "conversing" with a friend. Maybe a future release will the Clarity album in full? Here's hoping.

sup_fan
01-22-2022, 10:37 PM
i'm just blown away by Automatically Sunshine. i've always liked the song a lot but this new mix is just sensational. while AS has always been a favorite, i had to admit the released version was maybe a bit too sugary and sweet. this version has much more life! the expanded instrumentation fills the track so wonderfully. I like the missing verse although i think the lyric of it is the weakest of the 3 verses. but just great

now i'm more convinced than ever that 1) had Cindy stayed and 2) they released this version of AS, they would have had a major hit. probably not #1 but it would have probably charted in lower top 10.

im not criticizing Cindy or trying to bash Lynda. i just think that with FJ they had started to regain some of the lost momentum from the flop of Touch and the duets. this version of AS could have really exploded

sup_fan
01-22-2022, 10:52 PM
i think many of these alt vocals are better than the released! I Keep It Hid always struck me as bland. i just didn't think mary's lead had much life. but this version is much more passionate. really excellent

thanxal
01-23-2022, 09:21 AM
i'm just blown away by Automatically Sunshine. i've always liked the song a lot but this new mix is just sensational. while AS has always been a favorite, i had to admit the released version was maybe a bit too sugary and sweet. this version has much more life! the expanded instrumentation fills the track so wonderfully. I like the missing verse although i think the lyric of it is the weakest of the 3 verses. but just great

now i'm more convinced than ever that 1) had Cindy stayed and 2) they released this version of AS, they would have had a major hit. probably not #1 but it would have probably charted in lower top 10.

im not criticizing Cindy or trying to bash Lynda. i just think that with FJ they had started to regain some of the lost momentum from the flop of Touch and the duets. this version of AS could have really exploded
I know, right?

I was stunned when I first heard it. It's always been a "meh" song for me. Not any more. Mary's intonation on the second verse is enchanting, as is Jean's.

JohnnyB
01-23-2022, 09:50 AM
[QUOTE=luckyluckyme;683940] But I also must confess that I also had trouble deciphering the line 'Your real name may be Smith or Jones'. To me it sounded as if Mary were singing 'Your real name may be Spitball Jones'.

As a child, I thought Floy Joy’s real name was Spiffer Jones!

mysterysinger
01-23-2022, 01:43 PM
All the tracks appear to be available on YouTube Music to hear for free. I'm still buying the CD though.

Circa 1824
01-23-2022, 04:35 PM
I wonder why Mary’s cd can be released, but not Reflections or Love Child?

lakeside
01-23-2022, 06:38 PM

OMG! I thought that's what Mary was singing ever since I first heard it [[when it was released). I just now figured it out. Glad I'm not the only one who heard 'spitball'. Yikes!

daviddh
01-23-2022, 09:28 PM
thank you to everyone for postings your thoughts on this cd. mine seems to be lost between Sold Out and Out Of Stock.strange.but maybe on its way ,i like reading your insights and cant wait to hear disc 1
keep em coming

sophisticated_soul
01-24-2022, 01:10 AM

Massive Thank You's to everyone involved in this magnificent project. Like Mary herself it looks and sounds great! Obviously put together with great love and respect for Mary. Well worth the wait. The sound is just excellent!

Early observations: The alternate version of "Our Day Will Come" is way better than the [very good] released version.

I really like "Anytime At All" which later became "Red Hot". "Anytime At All" has much more depth and personality.

franjoy56
01-24-2022, 02:26 AM

Massive Thank You's to everyone involved in this magnificent project. Like Mary herself it looks and sounds great! Obviously put together with great love and respect for Mary. Well worth the wait. The sound is just excellent!

Early observations: The alternate version of "Our Day Will Come" is way better than the [very good] released version.

I really like "Anytime At All" which later became "Red Hot". "Anytime At All" has much more depth and personality.
I loved it all the new mixes are sensational.. wait to you hear witchi tail to,, save me. Danced my heart around the stars. Son of a preacher man and esp floy joy touch and as. This is Mary's crowning glory.

reese
01-24-2022, 09:37 AM
Another first rate collection! Kudos to George, Andy, Joe, Turkessa, and Jay.

In listening to the whole set, it was fascinating to see just how accomplished a vocalist Mary became over the years. At the moment, I'm not quite as enamored of the unreleased material. I'll have to give those another listen. But I am surprised at how much I ended up liking songs that I previously dismissed like DON'T LET MY TEARDROPS BOTHER YOU, I DON'T WANT TO LOSE YOU, and WE SHOULD BE CLOSER TOGETHER.

Not to mention her 1979 solo debut. I turned that one all the way up last night. Again, I must have liked it more than I thought I did because I hadn't listened to it in years but I was singing along to many of the tracks, lick for lick. I ended up liking some of the Gus Dudgeon tracks more than I had previously as well.

Again, congrats to all involved. From the great booklet with the touching testimonials to the great music, a first rate effort.

kenneth
01-24-2022, 10:23 AM
OMG! I thought that's what Mary was singing ever since I first heard it [[when it was released). I just now figured it out. Glad I'm not the only one who heard 'spitball'. Yikes!

In the past, we’ve had members named [[or as they say inspired by) “Buttered Popcorn and So Forth”, “Waiting Watching for a Chance” and “Johnny Raven.” I think it only a matter of time before “Spitball Jones” joins SDF!

fightingirish46
01-24-2022, 10:25 AM
Such a great release, guys! Here's to hoping 2022 brings us more releases and more joy to us fans!
Just listening to this release makes me wonder if all the 1970 Frontier engagement was recorded and that we could hear the other shows. Seems the 13th show was more relaxed than the released version. Heck, Elvis Presley's group released every single show during his 1970 Internation Hotel [[later Hilton) shows.

reese
01-24-2022, 12:12 PM
Such a great release, guys! Here's to hoping 2022 brings us more releases and more joy to us fans!
Just listening to this release makes me wonder if all the 1970 Frontier engagement was recorded and that we could hear the other shows. Seems the 13th show was more relaxed than the released version. Heck, Elvis Presley's group released every single show during his 1970 Internation Hotel [[later Hilton) shows.

In one of J. Randy's books, he says that three nights of performances [six shows] were taped. I have no idea if this is true or not. There was also a quote from Cindy where she refers to "the nights we were recording the Farewell album..."

floyjoy678
01-24-2022, 02:24 PM
Loooooove the set!!! Was so worth the wait! Love to finally hear the unedited Floy Joy in a stereo mix. Have been wanting that since I first heard it on the 2000 box set. Was able to listen to Don't Let My Teardrops Bother You without getting teary eyed as I was too busy appreciating Mary's vocal. Also love the Farewell performances, I really think that version of Falling In Love With Love was better than the one on the released album. I also notice that Cindy and Diana are singing backup on this version of Can't Take My Eyes Off You where I believe on the released version of Farewell they're not singing back up at all. Love the booklet and the tributes [[will keep my mouth shut about something related to that because why spoil it).

kenneth
01-24-2022, 05:06 PM
All I can say is...WOW!!!

I was disappointed I didn't have mine for the weekend, but considering there were some pretty good [[!) playoff games to watch, I was transfixed elsewhere anyway. But being stuck at home today it was a great lift to have the set at last.

Like I said, wow... The lavishness and care which has been given to this set is obvious. The mastering brings out the richness in Mary's voice which somehow always seemed to get buried under the breathy alto in the Motown mixes. These transfers give her voice a timbre I never really heard before.

It also helps, I think, that you get to hear her on entire albums of material. Not counting the pedestrian solo LP, except for Side 2 of "High Energy" I never heard Mary on more than one cut at a time. This also adds to the enjoyment because you kind of get to know her voice for the first time.

Of the ballads, I especially love "Don't Let My Teardrops Bother You" and "Til the Boat Sails Away," as I knew I would, as I always loved the "slow jam" side of that album. "We Should Be Closer Together" from the last Supremes LP is achingly lovely. My friend Philles/Motown_Gary can now finally agree on something Motown related because I was bowled over by "You Dance My Heart Around the Stars" which I've heard before but never like this. And I especially love the raucous extended mix of "Early Morning Love." It reminds me a lot of the Marvelettes version of "Someday We'll Be Together" which I thought was their best ever cover [[of someone else's song). And even "Red Hot" which I never much cared for, sounds like a new song in its new mix.

This is such a great experience to hear. Such a great job, guys. Kudos! This is going to take many listens to really hear the whole thing.

bradsupremes
01-24-2022, 05:15 PM
"Witchi Tai To" is without a doubt the most unusual and most experimental song the group ever recorded. I've always loved it when it was originally done by Jim Pepper. It's been a heavily covered song especially on the FM radio stations. This version by the ladies, just Mary & Cindy, certainly captures the mystique and essence the song requires. It's fun to listen to and the Funk Brothers soar on that arrangement.

If anyone is wondering what the lyrics are, these are them:

"Witchi-tai-tai, gimee rah
Whoa rah neeko, whoa rah neeko
Hey ney, hey ney, no wah

Water spirit feelin'
Springin' round my head
Makes me feel glad
That I'm not dead"

sup_fan
01-24-2022, 05:45 PM
"Witchi Tai To" is without a doubt the most unusual and most experimental song the group ever recorded. I've always loved it when it was originally done by Jim Pepper. It's been a heavily covered song especially on the FM radio stations. This version by the ladies, just Mary & Cindy, certainly captures the mystique and essence the song requires. It's fun to listen to and the Funk Brothers soar on that arrangement.

If anyone is wondering what the lyrics are, these are them:

"Witchi-tai-tai, gimee rah
Whoa rah neeko, whoa rah neeko
Hey ney, hey ney, no wah

Water spirit feelin'
Springin' round my head
Makes me feel glad
That I'm not dead"

interesting that it's just M and C! i was assuming it was mary overdubbed

daviddh
01-24-2022, 06:06 PM
suprise suprise suprise, guess what i got when i home from work. LOVE IT
bueatiful packaging ,photos
LOVE Touch , this IS the version that should have been released. love that Mary has more vocals in this and Floy Joy is so cool.
currently playing Automatically Sunshine, always been a favorite. what !!!!an xtra verse!
loving this collection. to much to take in all at one time but to Andy,George and Kevin Reeves....what a blast i am having ..really really loving Automatically Sunshine. this version would be a top ten hit no doubt.
Mary is crying tears of Joy right now.
I keep It Hid is lovely.

bradsupremes
01-24-2022, 11:28 PM
interesting that it's just M and C! i was assuming it was mary overdubbed

It appears like layered vocals by Mary, but there is definitely backing by Cindy. You can hear her when they split into harmony on "Water spirit feelin' springing around my head / Makes me feel glad that I'm not dead"

sup_fan
01-25-2022, 11:32 AM
question to George and Andy

are the backing tracks to Floy Joy and Automatically Sunshine the full, unedited tracks? for instance, all of the instrumental breaks and all? or for these mixes, were things repeated and added?

both tracks are just great. i always thought the FJ album was a bit on the short side so there was definitely room to extend a few of the songs. Also the released FJ album is wonderful in my opinion but i do understand how some people thought it too thin and light. the added instruments on FJ and AS and the lengthier versions could have helped to add more substance to the album

now i want to get a Floy Joy EE! lol

George Solomon
01-25-2022, 11:47 AM
The tracks from Floy Joy on Mary's Anthology are unedited and we added no additional breaks. That's how they were recorded. An expanded Floy Joy album would be great.

thanxal
01-25-2022, 02:20 PM
The tracks from Floy Joy on Mary's Anthology are unedited and we added no additional breaks. That's how they were recorded. An expanded Floy Joy album would be great.
You do know you've just unleashed a torrent of threads here complaining we don't have "Floy Joy Expanded Edition" yet. "Why don't we have Floy Joy EE?", "Why can Universal give us Floy Joy that George said...". LOL!!!

George Solomon
01-25-2022, 04:47 PM
I think there's a good chance we'll get it. Check back in 2042. :-)

Ollie9
01-25-2022, 04:54 PM

Thats cruel. :rolleyes:

sup_fan
01-25-2022, 06:42 PM

thanks! wow! now i'm even more convinced that had these been done back in 72, they could have done even better. You guys really did an incredible job with these

the FJ album sold strongly and charted relatively well. if we could go back and change time, just a few things could have possible made all the difference in the world
1. Cindy not having to leave group - this is when the Sups sort of became known as the "employment agency" or a "revolving door of singers"
2. amping up the tracks on album with this broader mix of instruments and more compelling, longer-track album cuts
3. ditching the MOR stuff and focusing on their material

the association with Smokey should have been something they played to the hilt. they should have coordinated their tv appearances to push the album and hype the Smokey connection. revamped the show to include less MOR and more of their album content. maybe add in a Smokey medley to further tie the two together

also the cover art for FJ is superb. Supreme in every way but it doesn't rehash the old tired sequin image. the girls are beautiful and fully coordinated but unique and modern outfits. fresh and reinvogorated

franjoy56
01-26-2022, 12:26 AM
I'll have to enjoy what you unleashed on us w this unedited floy joy track I'm enjoying it better than I did 50 yrs after its release in Jan 72. Great work on this entire package. Isn't flo on the first 4 or 5 tracks singing backup. Her name is omitted on t wikipedia page of backing singers on this wonderful project

floyjoy678
01-26-2022, 08:56 AM
Who's doing backgrounds on Our Day Will Come? Sounds mostly like the Andantes but there's parts of the song where I hear Flo and other parts where I hear Diana.

Spreadinglove21
01-26-2022, 03:59 PM
The alternate tracks are one of the main reasons why I'm enjoying this anthology so much. One gets a sense of the artistry involved in laying down a vocal as well as varying the instrumentation and the mix. Good stuff.

Here's an ideal for George, Andy and Harry: A Diana Ross Motown hits anthology of all alternate takes of her biggest hits and more interesting album cuts and b sides? Or for that matter, a box set of all alternate cuts of Motown's most iconic recordings?

daviddh
01-26-2022, 04:53 PM
i never cared for Come and Get These Memories but i like this version. was this a new mix

daviddh
01-26-2022, 05:02 PM
dude , ill be dead in that year.lol
these EE are getting me thru this pandemic.a well needed fix. im better now but George if i have to wait until 2042,....well i'll be 80. damn , hope not

thommg
01-27-2022, 11:35 AM
Come and Get These memories is listed as an Alternate Mix.

JimEMack
01-27-2022, 11:37 AM

Now someone needs to go back to the vaults and find the Supremes Floy Joy outtakes like the cover of "Don't Mess with Bill" wiht Cindy Birdsong on lead, "Here I Am Baby" with MW on lead [[with the Barbara McNair arrangement), and the cover of "The Hunter Gets Captured by the Game" with CB, MW and JT trading off leads. Consider a new rumor started.

daviddh
01-27-2022, 05:12 PM
i say an expanded RO ,cd 1 and expanded Floy disc 2 combo

kenneth
01-28-2022, 10:13 AM
I find it very irritating that on Amazon, simply because it’s not available to Amazon customers yet, that you can’t even post a review of the album although it’s available elsewhere. As you all know, I always encourage us to leave reviews on Amazon because here we’re more or less preaching to the choir. We could be helping sell copies right now when interest in the album is at its peak.

Roberta75
01-28-2022, 11:36 AM
I find it very irritating that on Amazon, simply because it’s not available to Amazon customers yet, that you can’t even post a review of the album although it’s available elsewhere. As you all know, I always encourage us to leave reviews on Amazon because here we’re more or less preaching to the choir. We could be helping sell copies right now when interest in the album is at its peak.

Amazon is saying mine is gonna ship on 2/24 Kenneth. I cant wait.

Happy New year to you my dear.

Fondly,

Roberta

kenneth
01-28-2022, 02:20 PM
Amazon is saying mine is gonna ship on 2/24 Kenneth. I cant wait.

Happy New year to you my dear.

Fondly,

Roberta

Hello Roberta!

I think that Amazon lowered the price since it was first offered, but mine was only $21.99 from Real Gone if you want to get it sooner than that.

Great to hear from you! You’ll love the set.

K

daviddh
01-28-2022, 02:42 PM
love side 1, my favorite tracks being , this far Automatically Sunshine, then Touch,
i thought Jean and Mary both recorded entire leads for Touch and then the vocals were spliced together, so maybe there is a solo version of Touch.?
but this version is probably the best version i've heard.great job Kevin Reeves.
i personally would have preferred Sunset and or A Heart Like Mine over the early songs like The Tears , but i assume they wanted an over view of her career with motown.
now back to listening .
great job

caliluv
01-29-2022, 09:38 AM
It sends chills through me when she sings “I can’t say what’s on my mind” on I Keep It Hid!

zani57
01-31-2022, 05:24 AM
Hello Roberta!

I think that Amazon lowered the price since it was first offered, but mine was only $21.99 from Real Gone if you want to get it sooner than that.

Great to hear from you! You’ll love the set.
K

Kenneth --- Real Gone's allotment is sold out. Universal only gave Real Gone so many copies to sell. Amazon is saying March 4 on my order.

kenneth
01-31-2022, 10:11 AM
Kenneth --- Real Gone's allotment is sold out. Universal only gave Real Gone so many copies to sell. Amazon is saying March 4 on my order.

I can’t believe it. How could they have miscalculated the demand for the product when it was in pre-release status for so long? Even if they are out of stock at the moment, their website should indicate when it will be available again. This would seem to be simple marketing based on their supplier.

bradsupremes
01-31-2022, 11:16 AM
I can’t believe it. How could they have miscalculated the demand for the product when it was in pre-release status for so long? Even if they are out of stock at the moment, their website should indicate when it will be available again. This would seem to be simple marketing based on their supplier.

I don't believe it was a miscalculation on their part, but rather Universal is going to be the main distributor for this release. Previous releases like Funny Girl, Blinky, Ultimate Merry Christmas, Real Gone handled it all - those were Real Gone releases. This appears to be different. This now looks like a Universal release. Maybe they allowed Real Gone to sell it first dibs and those pre-orders were fulfilled. It doesn't look like they're restocking for future sales at the moment - at least not until March 4th. I think there's more to what's going on than Real Gone miscalculating demand.

Boogiedown
01-31-2022, 12:16 PM
It would be interesting just how many copies Real Gone arranged to distribute.
Maybe they should’ve said “this is an extremely limited pressing based on preorders , don’t miss out, get yours by ordering now.”
are they now taking preorders for the next round ?

bradsupremes
01-31-2022, 01:02 PM
It would be interesting just how many copies Real Gone arranged to distribute.
Maybe they should’ve said “this is an extremely limited pressing based on preorders , don’t miss out, get yours by ordering now.”
are they now taking preorders for the next round ?

At the moment, no, but you can pre-order it through Amazon and other retail outlets. You just won't get it until March 4th.

Boogiedown
01-31-2022, 01:09 PM
Thanks
Any idea why real gone has stopped taking preorders ?Aren’t they now losing sales when you have to pre-order from other places and are able to ?

daviddh
01-31-2022, 07:33 PM
I think Mary's best version of Can't Take My Eyes is from the live in Japan

zani57
02-01-2022, 07:09 AM
Thanks
Any idea why real gone has stopped taking preorders ?Aren’t they now losing sales when you have to pre-order from other places and are able to ?

This is what was told to me:

" Unfortunately, Real Gone was only allotted enough copies by Universal to fulfill its direct orders, as Universal has taken over release of the set.

Orders should be fulfilled at Amazon by Universal for a March 4 release there."

My Amazon order says it will be shipped March 4. From what I can see on the Real Gone site, it says "Sold Out." From the way this communication was worded, I do not think Real Gone will be getting more copies, but who knows?

Boogiedown
02-01-2022, 11:26 AM

" Unfortunately, Real Gone was only allotted enough copies by Universal to fulfill its direct orders, as Universal has taken over release of the set.

My Amazon order says it will be shipped March 4. From what I can see on the Real Gone site, it says "Sold Out." From the way this communication was worded, I do not think Real Gone will be getting more copies, but who knows?
Thank you for this zani. The word “unfortunately” is telling and it’s apparent it’s out of Real Gones power to properly stock itself. It’s really sickening that the big boys won’t fully support all aspects of this business to the fullest, particularly the little guys who need it, why wouldn’t universal want Real Gone to sell every copy possible?
that real gone got any type of exclusive distribution is a bright spot. Wonder how they pulled that off.
Finally, where is Mary’s release during the entire month of February? Why the wait , we know the product is completely possible. no apologists please.

mwmr
02-01-2022, 02:00 PM
Thank you for this zani. The word “unfortunately” is telling and it’s apparent it’s out of Real Gones power to properly stock itself. It’s really sickening that the big boys won’t fully support all aspects of this business to the fullest, particularly the little guys who need it, why wouldn’t universal want Real Gone to sell every copy possible?
that real gone got any type of exclusive distribution is a bright spot. Wonder how they pulled that off.
Finally, where is Mary’s release during the entire month of February? Why the wait , we know the product is completely possible. no apologists please.

careful.. the haters called me out when I started the thread :cool:

Spreadinglove21
02-01-2022, 09:10 PM
Let's not let the miserable mwmr derail this thread.

So back on topic: what are people's thoughts on the alternate version of You Are the Heart of Me on the Anthology? Better than the MSS version? Or does Mary's more restrained moans on the alternate version take something away from this version?

bradsupremes
02-01-2022, 11:28 PM

So back on topic: what are people's thoughts on the alternate version of You Are the Heart of Me on the Anthology? Better than the MSS version? Or does Mary's more restrained moans on the alternate version take something away from this version?

I actually love this version of "You Are The Heart Of Me" better than the MSS version. It's so beautifully done and mixed. I hear instrumentation in this new mix that was buried in the original 1976 mix. And I actually prefer no moans. I always found them to be distracting, unnecessary, and took away from the beauty of the song. She's more restrained on them in this alternate vocal, but even so I would have completely muted all of it. As a kid, it was always embarrassing when it got to that part in the song and I had to turn it down.

Boogiedown
02-02-2022, 11:00 AM
Oh no, a spoiler of the spoilers thread ;)!

sup_fan
02-02-2022, 01:46 PM

almost across the board, i like these new releases to the original

with YATHOM, i think this is a better vocal take from mary. Paul on the DR Project website made a very interesting review of this song on the original lp - he felt that the lead and track was fine enough but compared to We Should Be Closer, it lacked the passion. I found that very interesting. If you simply read the lyrics, this is a VERY passionate song and I don't know that Mary conveyed that as stronger on the original YATHOM as she did capture the anguish of WSBCT. her lead on We Should is probably one of her very best - right up with Teardrops from HE. it's interesting that both are heartbreak songs as opposed to passion songs. she really does a wonderful job with both of conveying a broken heart.

I agree that the moans are annoying and a cheap ploy to mimic Donna Summer. completely unnecessary.

This new version of YATHOM does seem to capture the passion and ecstasy of the tune more than the original. and I agree, it's wonderful to hear more of the instrumentation pop out

mwmr
02-02-2022, 03:03 PM

priceless.. you don’t know me [[and for that blessing I’m grateful ).., I’m far from miserable … you know what you can do…

kenneth
02-03-2022, 10:38 AM
@Carlo,

I can’t wait to hear your impressions of the set once you finally get it.

Fondly [[as our dear Roberta always says),

Kenneth

sup_fan
02-03-2022, 03:00 PM
priceless.. you don’t know me [[and for that blessing I’m grateful ).., I’m far from miserable … you know what you can do…

i have no idea who you are in person so i can't confirm or deny if you're miserable ;) jk lol but i do want to say i appreciate your thoughts and posts on here. even if they don't necessarily reflect mine.

mwmr
02-03-2022, 04:15 PM
i have no idea who you are in person so i can't confirm or deny if you're miserable ;) jk lol but i do want to say i appreciate your thoughts and posts on here. even if they don't necessarily reflect mine.

thank you for this

sup_fan
02-03-2022, 04:48 PM
thank you for this

more than welcome. and i welcome Spreading's overall posts too. for the most part, it's been pleasant here on the boards. it's fine that we have different opinions and points of view

kenneth
02-03-2022, 05:47 PM

Seems like such an odd arrangement, especially considering the "donut hole" between the set's initial release by RG and then it being another month for Amazon to release their copies. But I know very little about the music business, so maybe it's not so unusual. It just seems this way that the release gets "watered down" in a way because of these hiccups in the release rollout.

thanxal
02-03-2022, 06:04 PM
Seems like such an odd arrangement, especially considering the "donut hole" between the set's initial release by RG and then it being another month for Amazon to release their copies. But I know very little about the music business, so maybe it's not so unusual. It just seems this way that the release gets "watered down" in a way because of these hiccups in the release rollout.
I wonder why Universal would take distribution back over at this point? It would have to be either selling better than expected or Real Gone didn't do something it was supposed to. Or maybe they planned it this way and production delays upended the schedule?... everything is so convoluted these days.

zani57
02-03-2022, 06:52 PM
I wonder why Universal would take distribution back over at this point? It would have to be either selling better than expected or Real Gone didn't do something it was supposed to. Or maybe they planned it this way and production delays upended the schedule?... everything is so convoluted these days.

I don't think it's anything to do with one entity not doing something they were supposed to. I have a feeling that this was part of the arrangement / distribution deal they came up with to make this set.

marybrewster
02-03-2022, 06:53 PM
So now the question is: will the Universal release be the same as the Real Gone release?

Danno
02-04-2022, 05:50 AM
So now the question is: will the Universal release be the same as the Real Gone release?

Amazon UK show 38 tracks on the CD and Mp3 versions. I guess Universal might remove references to Real Gone from the artwork but it seems an unnecessary expense?

thanxal
02-04-2022, 08:06 AM
Amazon UK show 38 tracks on the CD and Mp3 versions. I guess Universal might remove references to Real Gone from the artwork but it seems an unnecessary expense?
I got mine from Real Gone and don’t see their branding anywhere. Am I missing it?

Danno
02-04-2022, 08:57 AM
I got mine from Real Gone and don’t see their branding anywhere. Am I missing it?

That's interesting? I'm in UK so I've not seen it obviously. The Blinky release had Real Gone's logo on the back alongside Motown and Universal. If you check the link attached, it's on image two.
So if there's no reference to Real Gone, maybe Universal offered them an initial batch with a view to distributing later pressings themselves?

Blinky – Heart Full Of Soul: The Motown Anthology [[2019, CD) - Discogs [[https://www.discogs.com/release/14495558-Blinky-Heart-Full-Of-Soul-The-Motown-Anthology)

thanxal
02-04-2022, 09:04 AM
That's interesting? I'm in UK so I've not seen it obviously. The Blinky release had Real Gone's logo on the back alongside Motown and Universal. If you check the link attached, it's on image two.
So if there's no reference to Real Gone, maybe Universal offered them an initial batch with a view to distributing later pressings themselves?

Blinky – Heart Full Of Soul: The Motown Anthology [[2019, CD) - Discogs [[https://www.discogs.com/release/14495558-Blinky-Heart-Full-Of-Soul-The-Motown-Anthology)

Found it. It's on the back with the Motown "M" and on the spine. How the hells we old people suppose to see that???:p

Danno
02-04-2022, 09:09 AM
Found it. It's on the back with the Motown "M" and on the spine. How the hells we old people suppose to see that???:p

I share your affliction mate :cool:

So how much bother would it be to remove it for later sales? Personally, I think the same product will start delivering in March.

thanxal
02-04-2022, 09:38 AM
I share your affliction mate :cool:

So how much bother would it be to remove it for later sales? Personally, I think the same product will start delivering in March.
If the switch in distro was by prior arrangement, the ones without the logo are probably already printed! I have to guess this weirdness is also caused by expected low number of sales [[in addition to pandemic issues). I can’t imagine they projected much for this set. As much as I love Mary, there just aren’t enough of us diehard fans to scoop up enough copies. I’d love to be proven wrong, of course.

carlo
02-07-2022, 11:08 PM
I actually love this version of "You Are The Heart Of Me" better than the MSS version. It's so beautifully done and mixed. I hear instrumentation in this new mix that was buried in the original 1976 mix. And I actually prefer no moans. I always found them to be distracting, unnecessary, and took away from the beauty of the song. She's more restrained on them in this alternate vocal, but even so I would have completely muted all of it. As a kid, it was always embarrassing when it got to that part in the song and I had to turn it down.

Funny Brad, as I used to do the same when I was a kid! I would embarrassingly turn down the break in the song with Mary's moaning. lol.

@Carlo,

I canÂ’t wait to hear your impressions of the set once you finally get it.

Fondly [[as our dear Roberta always says),

Kenneth

This is very sweet, Kenneth! Thank you for thinking of me :) I got my copies today, so I was busy working and listening to the set, simultaneously this afternoon, while writing down my thoughts on four post-it notes [[lol). I didn't want to forget mentioning anything in my initial post. I took a second listen tonight and spent some time catching up on this thread. I enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts thus far!

First off, this set is exceptionally beautiful. Lovely rare photos and heartfelt tributes. I especially love the photo of Mary in her yellow knitted hoodie. I don't think I've previously seen such a clear version of this photo. You can see her Supremes ring in full detail and clarity! I also love that b&w film strip series of photos, as well as that b&w shot from her solo album photo shoot, which Sophisticated_Soul kindly shared in this thread. I wish a colourized version of that photo could have been on the original album cover of her solo LP. Also, that glamour photo of Mary on the steps, featured on the back of the booklet, has been one of my favourite photos of her, ever since I first saw it. I seem to recall that Tony Vaughan took that picture himself on his phone? I'm so glad they decided to include it!

Now, onto the the amazing music. Every track is a gem. I felt like a little kid in Disneyland, hearing the unreleased tracks and new mixes. I felt overwhelmed, in a good way, by so many of the new vocals and instrumental bits. First off, Son of a Preacher Man sounds incredible. I was reading some comments in another thread about some saying that Mary's version is lacking...I did not feel that way at all. This new version is light years better than the version that surfaced on Youtube some time ago. When I first heard that Youtube version, I had originally thought that perhaps Mary only did one lead for this track, since it was said at the time that it was an incomplete demo. I remember that vocal being a bit pitchy in a few places, so I thought for this new set that they would need to auto-tune the vocal or something, but this vocal on the anthology must be a different take? I also don't remember that version having Mary's background vocals, like this one does? I'll have to go back and re-listen to that version. Either way, this released version is great!

I thought of Brad when I was listening to Witchi Tai To, as I know he was very excited about this one being released. It is SO different from everything The Supremes had done up to that point in 1969. I really wish it could have been released at that time, but obviously due to the meaning of the song, I understand why it wasn't. It is spiritual. Mary's vocal and the production did a great job of conveying that feeling.

The live tracks from the January 13th Farewell show are great. They feel much more like group performances, with those background harmonies on these versions, versus the originally released versions. The included banter from Mary and Diana is also a lot of fun. Diana sounds like she was a little tipsy, but I'm sure they all were! :)

The alternate verse of Automatically Sunshine was an amazing surprise! I agree that this version, along with many on this set, are superior to the originally released versions.

I love that we got an alternate version of "I Keep It Hid". I think Mary's lead vocal is better on this new mix and I like that the background vocals were turned down a bit, to spotlight Mary. However, I have always liked the 'Webbernacle Choir' [[I smiled at that reference made in the thread)!

The new mix of "Can We Love Again" is amazing. It improved the song so much! I noticed some lovely new "mmmhmmm" harmonies on "Early Morning Love" and a new instrumental bit...wow! "You Turn Me Around" has always been one of my top favourites and this new mix is also the definitive version. The new vocal on "You're What Is Missing In My Life" is so much more soulful...love it! "Till the Boat Sails Away" also has new background vocal parts and is extended...perfect way to end disc one! I got teary eyed. The new mix of "Don't Let My Tear Drops Bother You" made me feel like I was listening to it for the first time, which was a nice feeling. I think there was an unearthed drum track added to the choruses? That drum initially felt a tinge too loud for me [[I think it was just the 'newness' of it), but then as I listened more, I felt that it did give the song extra power, emotion and oomph in this new mix. I like it.

"You Are The Heart Of Me"...I love hearing a new different vocal. Although, is it just me, or is the pacing of Mary's delivery just a tiny bit too fast at times, compared to the instrumental and background vocals? I seem to remember noticing this mostly during the choruses. However, I do love being able to hear a new version of this song after many years. The mix is amazing, as she sounds very up-front. This mix made it feel like Mary was singing it in the room. :)

Finally, "Why Can't We All Get Along"...I started to get emotional hearing Mary's spoken introduction and I had to pull myself together. It makes me continue to hope that we will get another album or compilation in the future, with these Richard Davis tracks. I know those songs were special and personal to Mary.

I could really go on and write so much more, but will leave it at this for now. I've written an encyclopedic review! Oops. :rolleyes:

Also, I don't know where all of this talk is coming from about Real Gone's logo possibly being removed from the March 4th release? I am willing to bet that the version of the anthology that has been shipped out early by Real Gone will be identical to the version that others will receive via the general March 4th retail release.

This release is a beautiful labour of love by Andy, George, Joe and Kevin. I think this anthology now tops my list of favourite releases :) I am so thankful that we can remember Mary with this wonderful release.

carlo
02-08-2022, 12:22 AM
One last comment from me for the night...there is a photo of Mary in the booklet, which is an unseen shot from the photo shoot that was featured on the cover of the EU/UK releases of "The Supremes Sing Motown"...it's an adorable photo! The glimmer in her eyes and the smile is everything. It captures her inner joy and child-like spirit :) It's a new fave!

carlo
02-08-2022, 12:56 PM
Lovely to have "Send Him To Me" and "If You Let Me Baby" in clear quality!

I tend to wonder if one of the reasons for "If You Let Me Baby" remaining in the vault for so long is due to the fact that it sounds so similar to Sly & the Family Stone's "Everyday People"? The extended outro with the background vocals is great.

carlo
02-08-2022, 01:18 PM
Yes, this new mix of Automatically Sunshine is fantastic too! It comes across as still soulful, but softer than the original mixes, which are good, but those mixes are more loud and thumping. I think this new mix works well for Jean and Mary's soft vocals.

Same goes for "I Keep It Hid", which I had commented on earlier. The turned down background vocals allow us to focus more on Mary's vocal and the lush instrumentation, especially the strings.

It just goes to prove how important mixing is. Not trying to put down the originally released versions, as I love those too, but changing even just a few things really does give a totally different effect and brings out other elements in these recordings that have always been there. Love that!

DJMoch
02-08-2022, 02:44 PM
While I'm waiting for my own set to arrive, I just wanted to ask about the 4 unreleased songs. Which eras were they recorded for -- Diana or Jean? I was planning to add them to their respective albums in my iTunes, and I'm hoping someone can shed light on that for me.

I can't wait, I'm beside myself. I did listen to Son Of A Preacher Man. I thought it was great, the negativity I've been reading has been a bit depressing to be honest. I'm not letting it spoil my excitement of this set. I've waited a dang long time for this.

blackguy69
02-08-2022, 02:51 PM
2 are Diana era and 2 are Jean era
While I'm waiting for my own set to arrive, I just wanted to ask about the 4 unreleased songs. Which eras were they recorded for -- Diana or Jean? I was planning to add them to their respective albums in my iTunes, and I'm hoping someone can shed light on that for me.

I can't wait, I'm beside myself. I did listen to Son Of A Preacher Man. I thought it was great, the negativity I've been reading has been a bit depressing to be honest. I'm not letting it spoil my excitement of this set. I've waited a dang long time for this.

carlo
02-08-2022, 04:13 PM

I can certainly identify with your excitement, DJMoch. I was checking the tracking updates for my package multiple times a day!

Yes, you just have to do your best to ignore and brush off the negative comments on this forum. Some of those negative comments come from people who were never true Mary fans to begin with and were always critical of her on this forum. Some of the others are fans who have become very cranky and jaded in their old age and have a hard time finding anything to be positive about. You will notice that their posts almost always tend to gravitate toward negativity and criticism, and they sadly do not try to contribute anything else of value to this forum. However, there are a number of us who are still here that discuss the music and the things that we enjoy. I know you will love this set. :)

kenneth
02-08-2022, 04:32 PM
Great hearing and reading your comments, Carlo. I so appreciate you sharing them this way.

Did you find as I have that you heard facets of her voice you never really heard before? I don’t know if I’m just listening harder, but hearing her do so much material and hearing it all at one sitting, as opposed to just one track on an entire album, made me appreciate her voice that much more. I found her voice richer and more present than I have in the past where I just kind of thought of her as having a breathy alto. I think these mixes brought out the power of her voice instead of trying to sweeten it or soften it somehow. What is your opinion? And of course anyone else is welcome to share their thoughts as well.

DJMoch
02-08-2022, 04:48 PM
2 are Diana era and 2 are Jean era

Many thanks for the info. Greatly appreciated.

carlo
02-08-2022, 05:03 PM
Great hearing and reading your comments, Carlo. I so appreciate you sharing them this way.

Did you find as I have that you heard facets of her voice you never really heard before?

Thanks Kenneth :)

Funny you said that, because similar to your experience, I have also been noticing different facets/elements of her voice that I had not noticed before either. For instance, I remember listening to Send Him To Me this morning and noticed her lower vocals, just before the fade. She is singing lower than usual on some lines and hearing her sing in that lower register gave her voice a different soulful tone that I had never noticed before. As you said, I think that also has a lot to do with these new mixes. I'm glad you mentioned this!

kenneth
02-08-2022, 06:46 PM
I can't stop dwelling on the fact that she should have been here to enjoy this. How she would have basked - finally - in some well deserved glory.

bradsupremes
02-08-2022, 07:26 PM

The 4 unreleased songs are all Diana era. The two live tracks were from the January 13, 1970 show. "Son Of A Preacher Man" could be considered Jean era as the annotations say some work was done in 1970, but the track and vocals were done in 1969 and it could have been included on Cream of the Crop. "Witchi Tai To" doesn't have all the complete track annotations but it was cut in early 1969 and Deke Richards did state on this board years ago he recorded it when they were still Diana Ross & the Supremes so it should be considered a DRATS era song.

sup_fan
02-09-2022, 12:06 AM
Yes, this new mix of Automatically Sunshine is fantastic too! It comes across as still soulful, but softer than the original mixes, which are good, but those mixes are more loud and thumping. I think this new mix works well for Jean and Mary's soft vocals.

Same goes for "I Keep It Hid", which I had commented on earlier. The turned down background vocals allow us to focus more on Mary's vocal and the lush instrumentation, especially the strings.

It just goes to prove how important mixing is. Not trying to put down the originally released versions, as I love those too, but changing even just a few things really does give a totally different effect and brings out other elements in these recordings that have always been there. Love that!

i'm still having a great time with this new AS. it's always been a favorite song of mine and i've really enjoyed the alt versions that have popped up over the years. One of the sets prior [[either 70s Anthol or Pink Box) had the version of AS with the little extra instrumental break. was thrilled to get it at the time and have often included that one in play lists. but the instrumental break did seem a bit superfluous and while i liked, i could agree with the decision to cut it

according to George's comment on here, this AS version is the full, completely unedited version. the instrumental break is much bigger and much more substantial. and it works great! it's not so much of a oddity now. love it!

If i could go back in time, i would have used this longer version on the lp. then using this mix, done the 45 version off of it. obviously trimming the instrumental breaks, maybe still cutting verse 2 from the single version. that way the album version and single version really are different and would have added more weight to the album. given people more reason to buy it

sup_fan
02-09-2022, 12:09 AM
The 4 unreleased songs are all Diana era. The two live tracks were from the January 13, 1970 show. "Son Of A Preacher Man" could be considered Jean era as the annotations say some work was done in 1970, but the track and vocals were done in 1969 and it could have been included on Cream of the Crop. "Witchi Tai To" doesn't have all the complete track annotations but it was cut in early 1969 and Deke Richards did state on this board years ago he recorded it when they were still Diana Ross & the Supremes so it should be considered a DRATS era song.

i've been trying to hear if i can pick up Jean in the backgrounds, like on If You Let Me. sometimes i think i can hear her, sometimes not lol. all 4 leads i think are strong enough to have been included. obviously WTT wasn't gonna make it. but it is a very interesting and fun track

all 3 could have easily fit onto Cream of the Crop. If You Let Me also fits pretty well IMO on Right On. Send Him To Me might have also worked on RO - not 100% sure. i don't think Preacher works especially well - too much of a slower groove. sort of breaks the rhythm of the album too much.

and i don't think any of these would really fit on NW or Touch.

sophisticated_soul
02-09-2022, 12:37 AM
as well as that b&w shot from her solo album photo shoot, which Sophisticated_Soul kindly shared in this thread. I wish a colourized version of that photo could have been on the original album cover of her solo LP.

Thanks Carlo, totally agree with you, I took one look at that beautiful photo, and I said to myself 'They had this photo and didn't choose it for the cover!' The cover photo is okay but this photo shows a confident and sultry Mary. Just beautiful.

TheMotownManiac
02-09-2022, 09:00 AM
I can't stop dwelling on the fact that she should have been here to enjoy this. How she would have basked - finally - in some well deserved glory.

I agree that Mary would have loved to have been here, but rest assured she experienced much glory. She understood it and felt it very much. I knew Mary over 40 years and she had a high, though not egotistical, opinion of herself and acknowledgment of who and what she was. Marry knew she was fabulous and knew that she was beautiful. The glory of experiencing this release would of course been the icing on the cake, but I believe one of the reasons why Mary was so well loved by her friends it’s because She knew how to be humble and fabulous at the same time and, I believe, I was completely realistic ofher place in the world. Somewhere right now she has a freshly opened bottle of Dom Perignon and is loving this release!

bradsupremes
02-09-2022, 11:23 AM
i've been trying to hear if i can pick up Jean in the backgrounds, like on If You Let Me. sometimes i think i can hear her, sometimes not lol. all 4 leads i think are strong enough to have been included. obviously WTT wasn't gonna make it. but it is a very interesting and fun track

all 3 could have easily fit onto Cream of the Crop. If You Let Me also fits pretty well IMO on Right On. Send Him To Me might have also worked on RO - not 100% sure. i don't think Preacher works especially well - too much of a slower groove. sort of breaks the rhythm of the album too much.

and i don't think any of these would really fit on NW or Touch.

My mistake. I wasn't including "If You Let Me Baby" and "Send Him To Me" into the four unreleased songs. Blackguy69 was right.

Witchi Tai To - DRATS era
Son Of A Preacher Man - DRATS / Jean era
If You Let Me Baby - Jean era
Send Him To Me - Jean era

kenneth
02-09-2022, 12:18 PM
I agree that Mary would have loved to have been here, but rest assured she experienced much glory. She understood it and felt it very much. I knew Mary over 40 years and she had a high, though not egotistical, opinion of herself and acknowledgment of who and what she was. Marry knew she was fabulous and knew that she was beautiful. The glory of experiencing this release would of course been the icing on the cake, but I believe one of the reasons why Mary was so well loved by her friends it’s because She knew how to be humble and fabulous at the same time and, I believe, I was completely realistic ofher place in the world. Somewhere right now she has a freshly opened bottle of Dom Perignon and is loving this release!

I'd love to think so...thanks. I'm sure you know that I try not to dwell on the downside of things but it's hard not to imagine how she would have celebrated this release. I'm glad to know she understood how much she meant to us fans.

DJMoch
02-09-2022, 09:30 PM
After a long long wait, I finally received my set today - I completely forgot that I did indeed order from Real Gone's website when it first became available. And oh my god, was it ever worth the wait. Absolutely amazing. Exceeded my expectations by a long shot. What a glorious musical tribute to a wonderful lady.

The new mixes are breathtaking! I got stuck in a loop listening to Touch, Floy Joy, and Automatically Sunshine over and over and over again - they are probably my top 70's Supremes songs, and these new mixes are simply incredible and I simply couldn't get enough. Especially Automatically Sunshine. I had no idea it contained an additional verse. It brings a feeling of completeness to me. Same with Floy Joy. I always found it irritating how there were so many small edits i.e., those repeating instrumental bits between the verses and choruses. I mean, they literally cut off Jean's vocal mid-word in both the single and LP versions. Having the song uncut is a revelation to me. My only qualm is I was never a fan of that saxophone in Floy Joy, I always found it very reedy and grating. Despite that, it's a wonderful musical treat.

I only wish Mary would have been alive to see everyone's reactions to this amazing set. Thank you so much to everyone who made this set possible. And of course, thank you Mary for your immense talent. May your star shine brightly for the rest of time. God bless you.

Boogiedown
02-10-2022, 12:40 AM
After a long long wait, I finally received my set today - I completely forgot that I did indeed order from Real Gone's website when it first became available. And oh my god, was it ever worth the wait. Absolutely amazing. Exceeded my expectations by a long shot. What a glorious musical tribute to a wonderful lady.

The new mixes are breathtaking! I got stuck in a loop listening to Touch, Floy Joy, and Automatically Sunshine over and over and over again - they are probably my top 70's Supremes songs, and these new mixes are simply incredible and I simply couldn't get enough. Especially Automatically Sunshine. I had no idea it contained an additional verse. It brings a feeling of completeness to me. Same with Floy Joy. I always found it irritating how there were so many small edits i.e., those repeating instrumental bits between the verses and choruses. I mean, they literally cut off Jean's vocal mid-word in both the single and LP versions. Having the song uncut is a revelation to me. My only qualm is I was never a fan of that saxophone in Floy Joy, I always found it very reedy and grating. Despite that, it's a wonderful musical treat.

I only wish Mary would have been alive to see everyone's reactions to this amazing set. Thank you so much to everyone who made this set possible. And of course, thank you Mary for your immense talent. May your star shine brightly for the rest of time. God bless you.

Your sincere exuberance emanates! Experiences like this come way too un-often. [Can you even put a price on this rare experience you're having, fifty years in the waiting?] Savor and treasure your good fortune, as well you are!

carlo
03-04-2022, 08:24 AM
*bumping up this thread for today's retail release*

thanxal
03-04-2022, 09:49 AM
*bumping up this thread for today's retail release*
Good idea, Carlo. I can't wait to hear people's reactions to it. I was stunned at how wonderful it was.

lakeside
03-04-2022, 01:50 PM
Immediately SOLD OUT at Dusty Groove. Not sure how many copies they get, but they usually restock. Does anyone know how it's doing over at Amazon?

carlo
03-04-2022, 02:08 PM
Immediately SOLD OUT at Dusty Groove. Not sure how many copies they get, but they usually restock. Does anyone know how it's doing over at Amazon?

Nice! Here are the current chart stats over at Amazon US...

thanxal
03-04-2022, 04:59 PM
Nice! Here are the current chart stats over at Amazon US...

Wow! #49 in CDs and Vinyl and #4 in R&B? That's far more than just a bunch of forum fanatics.

carlo
03-04-2022, 06:26 PM
Wow! #49 in CDs and Vinyl and #4 in R&B? That's far more than just a bunch of forum fanatics.

It's climbing up the ladder to the roof! :) See the latest Amazon US chart positions below. It's also currently at #78 in the Top 100 CDs and Vinyl on the Amazon UK charts.

thanxal
03-04-2022, 07:19 PM
It's climbing up the ladder to the roof! :) See the latest Amazon US chart positions below. It's also currently at #78 in the Top 100 CDs and Vinyl on the Amazon UK charts.

This is so wonderful. Can you imagine how tickled Mary would be?

vgalindo
03-04-2022, 08:33 PM
I got my copy today. Can’t wait to play it tonight.

JimEMack
03-04-2022, 08:41 PM
Somewhere right now she has a freshly opened bottle of Dom Perignon and is loving this release!

No, she preferred Cristal. That was her beverage of choice.

carlo
03-05-2022, 01:24 AM
This is so wonderful. Can you imagine how tickled Mary would be?

Yes, it is great to see. She would be loving this news. It's moved up from #26 to #24. Still at #2 for R&B albums [[CD and vinyl).

RanRan79
03-05-2022, 03:22 AM
My copy arrived this afternoon. Just finished listening to it. Congrats to the team for another job well done. This set was truly befitting Mary. It showcases her evolution as a vocalist and puts her natural gift on front and center display. The rememberances of Mary in the booklet were absolutely beautiful and further testimony of her impact as a human being. The photo of her in the yellow mesh and hood is officially one of my favorite photos of Mary. Stunningly beautiful woman. I'm super tired right now, so I'll try to make this quick and just touch on a few thoughts regarding the tracks:

-So glad to have "Send Him To Me" and "If You Let Me Baby", but super pissed that they remained vaulted so long. "Send" would've made a great album track, either as a solo or with backing vocals, possibly for New Ways. Would've much rather had it than "Come Together". "If You Let Me Baby" was worthy of single release IMO. It was definitely a new direction for the group and I think it could have made some noise.

-While I love the musical track to "Wichi-Tai-Toe", the song itself is a little out there for my taste.

-Both outtakes of "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" and "Falling In Love", IMO, are far superior to what made the Farewell album. For the life of me I can't figure out what Deke heard that made him scrap either of these for the versions that actually made the album.

-"Touch", "Floy Joy", "Automatically Sunshine"...they have been given new life. While "Automatically" has never fallen out of favor with me, the other two have, to various degrees. I'll be playing both "Touch" and "Floy" quite a bit again. Especially "Touch". Wow.

-This version of "Teardrops" just solidifies my opinion that it should have been a single. I really believe it had the potential to put the Supremes back into the top 10 across the board.

I'm so glad to have this set. And so glad to see that it's selling well. Hopefully it'll cause Universal to get behind further projects regarding the Supremes. The guys really did Mary proud with this one. It's so bittersweet knowing that she isn't around to bask in what would have surely danced her heart around the stars.:cool:

RanRan79
03-05-2022, 03:29 AM
As usual I do have a bit of criticism. [[I know, I know, but it wouldn't be me if I didn't hit the positives and the negs too.) Reading through the words of love from Mary's friends and peers in the business, it sucked that there was that glaringly obvious missing testimonial from a certain someone who was once so close to Mary.

Yes, I'm referring to Tony "Tall Tales" Turner, in case you were wondering.:p

Ollie9
03-05-2022, 08:28 AM
I just spent a notable amount of time writing a considered and thoughtful review of the songs on this Anthology. Pressed post, and the whole thing ended up in oblivion..
What a f——-g waste of time, not to mention heartbreaking lol. :mad:

floyjoy678
03-05-2022, 09:59 AM
As usual I do have a bit of criticism. [[I know, I know, but it wouldn't be me if I didn't hit the positives and the negs too.) Reading through the words of love from Mary's friends and peers in the business, it sucked that there was that glaringly obvious missing testimonial from a certain someone who was once so close to Mary.

Yes, I'm referring to Tony "Tall Tales" Turner, in case you were wondering.:p

I've discreetly said the same thing when I posted my thoughts on the set but didn't want to take away from everything else. I will say that certain someone has been knocked down a couple notches for me.

floyjoy678
03-05-2022, 10:00 AM
I just spent a notable amount of time writing a considered and thoughtful review of the songs on this Anthology. Pressed post, and the whole thing ended up in oblivion..

Hahahaha aww Ollie what counts is you know what you wrote ;)

Ollie9
03-05-2022, 10:48 AM
Hahahaha aww Ollie what counts is you know what you wrote ;)

That really cheers me up floy lol. Is there anything more infuriating. I’m sure i can’t be the only one it’s happened to. Will probably try again another day.

RanRan79
03-05-2022, 12:16 PM

Been there, done that. And it never happens when I've just written a sentence or two. It's always when I've done one of my long dissertations about whatever Supreme subject we're discussing. Sometimes before I hit "post", I'll copy what I've written just in case. Trust me, I know your pain all too well.

RanRan79
03-05-2022, 12:17 PM
I've discreetly said the same thing when I posted my thoughts on the set but didn't want to take away from everything else. I will say that certain someone has been knocked down a couple notches for me.

I'm not sure Tall Tales Turner rates highly with anyone these days.:p

Btw, shouldn't you be changing your name to floydjoy678 now?:D

vgalindo
03-05-2022, 03:30 PM
I am not good at writing reviews. But all I got to say is I love this Anthology of Mary Wilson. I didn’t expect it to be so good. Thank you so much George and Andy. It’s so good. I love the alternate or remixed versions of the High Energy sessions. They sound so new and fresh. They truly should have been big hits. It’s so sad Mary couldn’t have shared and enjoyed this release with us. RIP beautiful Mary Wilson.

thanxal
03-05-2022, 05:43 PM
Good catch, Ran!
Its amazing to so clearly hear them singing "Floyd Joy" on this release.

rod_rick
03-06-2022, 12:58 AM
Good catch, Ran!
Its amazing to so clearly hear them singing "Floyd Joy" on this release.

I just went back and listen to the lyric and to my ears I hear Floyd, Floyd, Floyd, Floy Joy. So the 1st 3 Floyds and then it's Floy Joy. I could be wrong but that's what I'm hearing

floyjoy678
03-07-2022, 12:17 AM
I'm not sure Tall Tales Turner rates highly with anyone these days.:p

No way! It was, is, and always will be...floyjoy678! Who do you think I am? Diane Ross?

Ollie9
03-07-2022, 02:37 PM
Brief review...Great packaging and remaster. I never considered sweet and fluffy songs such as “Floy” and “ Automatically Sunshine” Marys vibe, but nice to hear extended versions. Great to here more of Mary on “Touch”, which really should have been a solo.
Love her letting rip on “I Keep It Hid” while the extended Closer Together” is beautiful.
“Your What’s missing” was good enough to be a Mary solo, but don’t like the additional backing vocals featured on “I Don’t Want To Loose You”. For me they weigh the song down as well as sounding a ‘tad old hat.
The only commercial song from the solo album is for me is [[ I Love A) Warm Summer Night. Much prefer the laidback arrangement of “Any Time At All” To The the rather dull “Red Hot” featured on the album.. Kupper certainly brings the song to life.
Overall a great package, hearing something new every time i play it.

RanRan79
03-07-2022, 07:37 PM
I just went back and listen to the lyric and to my ears I hear Floyd, Floyd, Floyd, Floy Joy. So the 1st 3 Floyds and then it's Floy Joy. I could be wrong but that's what I'm hearing

Listen really closely. It's all Floyds. So strange that I never heard the D before. To be honest, I really don't like it. Would've much rather the name be Floy than Floyd.

RanRan79
03-07-2022, 07:39 PM
No way! It was, is, and always will be...floyjoy678! Who do you think I am? Diane Ross?

Either that or Stevland Morris.;)

thanxal
03-07-2022, 07:59 PM
How would we know that you're NOT??????

144man
03-12-2022, 01:44 PM

I find that I don't lose long posts if I frequently refresh my screen.

Ollie9
03-12-2022, 02:22 PM
I find that I don't lose long posts if I frequently refresh my screen.

Many thanks for the tip. It was a rather soul destroying experience lol.

Boogiedown
03-14-2022, 11:27 AM
Oliie ,
do you know about the auto save feature?
also when you log in at the top of the page
check the box remember me . It’ll keep you active, mostly works .

Ollie9
03-14-2022, 02:41 PM
Oliie ,
do you know about the auto save feature?
also when you log in at the top of the page
check the box remember me . It’ll keep you active, mostly works .

Many thanks Boog. I will check this out.

mysterysinger
03-15-2022, 05:32 PM
I like Mary on the Clodagh Rodgers song "Save Me" - it's much nicer than the original. Love "Our Day Will Come".

Optimal Saint
03-21-2022, 09:00 AM
A couple of days before her death [[https://soulfuldetroit.com/x-gu://item/mobile.guardianapis.com/us/items/music/2021/feb/09/mary-wilson-obituary) in February 2021, Mary Wilson uploaded a video to her YouTube channel. Poignantly, it was full of forthcoming plans: the 60th anniversary of the Supremes’ debut single the following month; interviews she’d given for Black History Month, discussing the problems the group had faced touring the south of America in the 1960s; videos she was planning to upload, including a tribute to Florence Ballard, the former Supreme who had died 45 years previously, aged 32, after a struggle with alcoholism that had seen her fired from the group in 1967.
Her voice catches slightly when she mentions Ballard’s name: Wilson never gave up on her, even when Ballard appeared to have given up on herself. “She was always trying to help her,” says Wilson’s friend, actor Beverly Todd. “Mary loved Florence and she understood why Florence was in so much pain” – Wilson believed her alcoholism had less to do with the pressures of fame than the fact that Ballard had been raped at knifepoint in 1960 – “and she would invite her to become part of what she was doing. The last time, she was trying to get Florence back involved with the Supremes, but Florence told her, ‘Mary, why do you keep trying to help? Stop trying to help me.’”
That aside, the tone of the video is one of huge excitement. Wilson seems particularly thrilled that a collection of her solo work is about to be released, including her eponymous 1979 album, an extremely classy disco collection that had the misfortune to be released weeks after the Chicago Disco Demolition [[https://soulfuldetroit.com/x-gu://item/mobile.guardianapis.com/us/items/music/2019/jul/19/disco-demolition-the-night-they-tried-to-crush-black-music)riot turned America’s radio and record labels against the sound it embodied; tracks she recorded for a follow-up with celebrated producer Gus Dudgeon that went unreleased when Motown dropped her from her contract; and some new recordings, including a song called Why Can’t We All Get Along? [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgB5RbHigQg)that ruminated on the strained relationship between the Supremes’ members. According to her daughter, Turkessa Babich, Wilson had been planning the collection for “about 20 years”: it’s now been released posthumously, as The Motown Anthology, augmented with Supremes tracks featuring Wilson’s lead vocals……

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/mar/21/mary-wilson-the-supremes-remembered-motown?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

144man
03-23-2022, 02:02 PM
I couldn't work out why the unreleased track "Send Him To Me" sounded so familiar until I realised that the Debbie Dean version had already appeared on the "Motown Unreleased 1968" download and also on the "Good Good Feeling! More Motown Girls" CD.

144man
03-29-2022, 04:14 PM
I couldn't work out why the unreleased track "Send Him To Me" sounded so familiar until I realised that the Debbie Dean version had already appeared on the "Motown Unreleased 1968" download and also on the "Good Good Feeling! More Motown Girls" CD.

...but on reflection it is more likely that I subconsciously remembered the Four Tops' version that had appeared on Motown Unreleased under the title "Send Her To Me".

carlo
03-29-2022, 05:55 PM
Thanks for mentioning the Four Tops' version, 144man. I don't think I had heard it before today. I think I prefer Mary's version, but their version is solid too.

I'm kind of surprised at the lack of discussion in this thread, considering the number of fellow members who participated in lengthy discussions concerning the delays of this release and the best place to purchase this release from. I shared my thoughts in a number of posts that I had made earlier on, in this thread, but I know we have other Mary fans on this forum. Where y'all at? Hope you're enjoying the anthology? :)

Ollie9
03-30-2022, 06:33 AM
Thanks for mentioning the Four Tops' version, 144man. I don't think I had heard it before today. I think I prefer Mary's version, but their version is solid too.

I'm kind of surprised at the lack of discussion in this thread, considering the number of fellow members who participated in lengthy discussions concerning the delays of this release and the best place to purchase this release from. I shared my thoughts in a number of posts that I had made earlier on, in this thread, but I know we have other Mary fans on this forum. Where y'all at? Hope you're enjoying the anthology? :)

I really enjoyed reading your lengthy review of the album Carlo. My in-depth review somehow got lost when i tried to post it, so ended up writing a much shorter one.
Im still very much enjoying it.
I was a little disappointed with folks brief opinions on Diana’s new album. It had been a fifteen year wait after all. Perhaps if a bead had been missing off her frock on the cover it might have inspired more lengthy discussion. I’m really not sure. :confused:

thanxal
03-30-2022, 07:27 AM
The discussion has been spread across other threads as well. There are several of us who were obviously live posting as we were listening to it. I caught the different verse of Automatically Sunshine whilst typing. This thread was just for people who already had the set and didn't want to spoil it for others. As it has been released now for a while, people are posting reactions all over the place, so not to worry, it is loved!

144man
03-30-2022, 11:28 AM
I must say how much I enjoyed the Gus Dudgeon tracks.

carlo
03-30-2022, 10:27 PM
I really enjoyed reading your lengthy review of the album Carlo. My in-depth review somehow got lost when i tried to post it, so ended up writing a much shorter one.
Im still very much enjoying it.
I was a little disappointed with folks brief opinions on Diana’s new album. It had been a fifteen year wait after all. Perhaps if a bead had been missing off her frock on the cover it might have inspired more lengthy discussion. I’m really not sure. :confused:

Thanks Ollie! Glad to hear that you are enjoying the anthology. I understand the frustration about having lost the post containing the review that you had written. I've been in that unfortunate position many times.

I am still enjoying Mary's Anthology, alongside Diana's Thank You album. Perhaps I will look into resurrecting one of the threads that discussed Thank You, in the coming days. Lol, you are right about the potential for lengthy discussions to be sparked by a missing bead. I suppose that did happen, with the discussion regarding the old photo used for the cover art. :)

carlo
03-30-2022, 10:32 PM
The discussion has been spread across other threads as well. There are several of us who were obviously live posting as we were listening to it. I caught the different verse of Automatically Sunshine whilst typing. This thread was just for people who already had the set and didn't want to spoil it for others. As it has been released now for a while, people are posting reactions all over the place, so not to worry, it is loved!

Hey thanxal, glad to hear you're still enjoying it too. I saw a few of the individual threads with the YouTube links to songs from the anthology, but didn't see a whole lot else going on. Maybe I missed all of that, since I was busy genuflecting to Saint Diana Ross, as per our daily cult rituals. I hope you have not forgotten to complete your daily rituals, since after all, you are the leader of our group! In fact, we probably shouldn't even be talking about Mary's Anthology. Shhhh... :)

carlo
03-30-2022, 10:34 PM
I must say how much I enjoyed the Gus Dudgeon tracks.

It really is nice to be listening to those tracks in such clarity, after all of this time! :)

jim aka jtigre99
03-31-2022, 06:17 PM
I haven't posted too much about it. I listen to it and it is striking to hear such beautiful and clear tracks with Mary singing so beautifully. I am sure we all have our favorites. I wasn't too sure about Witchi Tai To, but honestly I don't think anyone but Mary in the Motown stable would be able to do it any justice. It seems the CD did well for awhile but after its initial Real Gone release and the "formal" release near her birthday, something must have happened. I know Andy, George and company did a superior job on it and the work they did should leave them justifiably proud. I was going to get a spare second copy but once Amazon cancelled it and then offered it, I became hesitant. I guess one copy will suffice.

thanxal
03-31-2022, 06:37 PM
Hey thanxal, glad to hear you're still enjoying it too. I saw a few of the individual threads with the YouTube links to songs from the anthology, but didn't see a whole lot else going on. Maybe I missed all of that, since I was busy genuflecting to Saint Diana Ross, as per our daily cult rituals. I hope you have not forgotten to complete your daily rituals, since after all, you are the leader of our group! In fact, we probably shouldn't even be talking about Mary's Anthology. Shhhh... :)
OMG!!! Am I now kicked out for mentioning She Who Shall Not Be Mentioned???? Oh noes!!! I promise to say 10 Hail Dianas and remain silent in humble prayers of penance. May she never read this thread lest she doubt my devotion.

carlo
03-31-2022, 09:04 PM
OMG!!! Am I now kicked out for mentioning She Who Shall Not Be Mentioned???? Oh noes!!! I promise to say 10 Hail Dianas and remain silent in humble prayers of penance. May she never read this thread lest she doubt my devotion.

Your sin has been pardoned by our brethren, due to your genuine repentance and penance. Do not allow yourself to be entrapped by such frivolities again, lest you lose your ranking in the Ross-hood. It would mean having to sacrifice all of your Diana Ross CD's to the great 'force behind the power' in a firey pit, and you would spend eternity solely listening to this insufferable compact disc...

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41PIbSkSX-L._QL70_ML2_.jpg

Learn from this.

rod_rick
04-01-2022, 12:30 AM
Your sin has been pardoned by our brethren, due to your genuine repentance and penance. Do not allow yourself to be entrapped by such frivolities again, lest you lose your ranking in the Ross-hood. It would mean having to sacrifice all of your Diana Ross CD's to the great 'force behind the power' in a firey pit, and you would spend eternity solely listening to this insufferable compact disc...

Learn from this.

Carlo, you are a sick person I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!

thanxal
04-01-2022, 07:23 AM

Learn from this.
Thank you Brother-In-Ross Carlo. Should I ever stray again, please subject me to endless threads detailing on which tracks the Andantes appeared. I will n'er stray again!

carlo
04-01-2022, 08:04 AM
Thank you Brother-In-Ross Carlo. Should I ever stray again, please subject me to endless threads detailing on which tracks the Andantes appeared. I will n'er stray again!

:D

https://monophy.com/media/SYA8tnc4WfTHuyCIio/monophy.gif

Ms Ross is pleased by your devotion.

luckyluckyme
06-17-2022, 04:19 PM
For those who wanted a second copy or for those who haven't yet purchased it, udiscovermusic.com is having a 25% off sale on everything onsite [with free shipping in the U.S.] The Mary Wilson Anthology is listed there at $19.98.
And VIP members receive an additional 5% discount.

BobbyC
06-18-2022, 10:09 AM
I'm just now hearing this stuff. My jaw hit the ground hearing this version of Touch. Fantastic song, fantastic vocals--Jean sounds better on this as well. This just knocks me out

BobbyC
06-18-2022, 10:21 AM
Automatically Sunshine is superior too!! This is great stuff. I like the looser arrangement---it's sprawling and way more interesting that the one previously released! I know Mary would be thrilled

jim aka jtigre99
06-18-2022, 12:24 PM
Andy, George and Company did a great job remixing and finding some beautiful alternative mixes. Mary was certainly underused in the Supremes at Motown. I don't think the estate will be releasing anything else save the "Pride" mix they are streaming. I read on Facebook that Sweet Feet has something that may eventually be released. Other than that, I don't think we will see anything more than this beautiful anthology. There are so many wonderful things on them. Mary was really starting to come into her own by the mid 70's but prior to that there are some beautiful vocals.