PDA

View Full Version : Nothing's too good for my baby - Springers/Ethics

test

snakepit
05-20-2011, 12:04 PM
I am familiar [[indeed love) this track by "the Springers" but I've heard it by "the Ethics" and it sounds the same to me....anybody know what gives here [[is it just "cover-up")?

chalky
05-20-2011, 02:49 PM
It came out on a CD of the Ethics output, and it was a mix up. The Springers and the Ethics are two different groups and the Ethics NTGFMB is not the Ethics but the Springers.

snakepit
05-21-2011, 03:11 AM
ah ha....I was right to be confused then..thanks Chalky

chalky
05-21-2011, 05:47 AM
Andy Rix asked Thedeus Whales about t he Ethics/Springers about 10 years ago & he was very clear that they were 2 different groups. Whilst he could recall the names of the Ethics group members he struggled to think of any of the Springers. He said he had a feeling that with the release of the Springers CD one of them came to light after seeing it in a record shop. He was sure Tom Moulton got their names as a result but was never asked for them.

robb_k
05-21-2011, 12:22 PM
Weren't The Ethics from New Jersey? They recorded for Carnival and a few of George Kerr's labels. The Springers were on the local Cleveland, Way Out label. I always thought they were a local Cleveland group.

roger
05-21-2011, 12:52 PM
Weren't The Ethics from New Jersey? They recorded for Carnival and a few of George Kerr's labels. The Springers were on the local Cleveland, Way Out label. I always thought they were a local Cleveland group.

The soulfulkindamusic discography doesn't have any mention of THE ETHICS ..

http://www.soulfulkindamusic.net/carnival.htm

There was a Philly Group called THE ETHICS who included RON TYSON in their line up and who had two minor R&B hits in 1969 on the Vent label. They later changed their name to THE LOVE COMMITEE and recorded for P.I.R. Ariola and Gold Mind/Salsoul.

This is them singing "Standing In The Darkness"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH13JpI5E8c

Roger

snakepit
05-21-2011, 01:39 PM
The track is on a Collectables CD on the Ethics. It sounds to me as it's the same track as Springers , so it seems that it should not be on this CD... featuring Ron Tyson's group as Roger says

chalky
05-21-2011, 02:25 PM
The Ethics also recorded on Wale same as the Springers, that is where the confusion arose. The track "Nothing's Too Good..." is the Springers and should not have been on the Ethics cd.

nosey
05-21-2011, 02:46 PM
The soulfulkindamusic discography doesn't have any mention of THE ETHICS ..

http://www.soulfulkindamusic.net/carnival.htm

There was a Philly Group called THE ETHICS who included RON TYSON in their line up and who had two minor R&B hits in 1969 on the Vent label. They later changed their name to THE LOVE COMMITEE and recorded for P.I.R. Ariola and Gold Mind/Salsoul.

This is them singing "Standing In The Darkness"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH13JpI5E8c

Roger

That's my ex-boo, Joe Freeman on lead on that song.

robb_k
05-21-2011, 05:01 PM
I got The Ethics confused with The Pretenders. I guess that The Philly Ethics were the same group that also recorded later for George Kerr. But were The Springers talked about on this thread the same Cleveland group that recorded for Way Out Records?

tom_moulton
05-21-2011, 05:54 PM
Part of the problem doing it right was when Collectables Licensed The Ethics for some reason the Springers track was mistakingly put down as The Ethics [[ before I started working with the company) Because Collectables still has a license for it we couldn't use on the Springers when I found all The multis.We will eventually put it out again.

chalky
05-22-2011, 05:33 AM
Hi Tom, do you know who the Springers are, names I mean?

nosey
05-22-2011, 12:56 PM
Part of the problem doing it right was when Collectables Licensed The Ethics for some reason the Springers track was mistakingly put down as The Ethics [[ before I started working with the company) Because Collectables still has a license for it we couldn't use on the Springers when I found all The multis.We will eventually put it out again.

That explains when we listened to that Collectibles cd together, he didn't know who the other group was and didn't recognize any of the other songs. He was adamant that some of the songs on that CD weren't the Ethics.