PDA

View Full Version : Atlantic Records Question

test

mark speck
01-08-2022, 07:55 PM
Hope everyone here is doing well and that the holidays were great for all...now for a question. I was looking at a label of a 45 [[Wales Wallace on Bashie) and it got me to thinking...why did the label read 'distributed by Cotillion Div. of Atlantic' instead of 'distributed by Atlantic'? Is there a special significance to this? Not knowing the vagaries of the music business, I wouldn't know if there was, but I'm just curious as to why it read that way...or am I reading too much into it? Thanks in advance for any insight.

Best,

Mark

Motown Eddie
02-06-2022, 01:06 PM
Maybe the designation 'distributed by Cotillion Div. of Atlantic' was a way for Atlantic Records to [partially] disguise how many different records they were distributing at that time. According to Discogs, Wikipedia & the Both Sides Now websites, Cotillion was a subsidiary label of Atlantic from 1968 to 1986. The artists who released music on that imprint were simply transferred to the parent Atlantic label when Cotillion folded.

Motown Eddie
02-07-2022, 05:47 AM
Atlantic Records also used the designation 'distributed by Atco Record Sales Co.' from time to time [Atco was another one of Atlantic's subsidiary labels].