PDA

View Full Version : Why no DVD of T.C.B., G.I.T., "Diana!", etc?

test

Jimi LaLumia
05-19-2011, 09:38 PM
I don't know if this has been discussed in the past, I'm new here, but are there legal issues preventing DVD releases of TCB and the other Motown Tv specials? Is Motown 25 available on DVD?

jillfoster
05-19-2011, 09:43 PM
Gordy just won't get off his ass and do it. [[Apparently he owns the footage) Supposedly, everyone seems to think it wouldn't make enough money to be worth the bother... but with that attitude, it never will. The man's worth tens of millions of dollars, so if he's too tight to allow this to be released for historical posterity, then so be it.

luke
05-19-2011, 10:17 PM
I wonder if thats the only reason?

marv2
05-19-2011, 10:20 PM
It seems like everyone that wants copies of those programs......have them!

theboyfromxtown
05-20-2011, 06:37 AM
No, they don't Marv! Maybe in America but not here in Europe. Those shows were never been shown in the UK.

And it's not necessarily Mr Gordy who needs to be persuaded. There is a certain lady who could give move this forward.

phil
05-20-2011, 07:48 AM
They may be not of the best quality but you can get them from ioffer : http://www.ioffer.com/i/t-c-b-12-9-68-dvd-diana-ross-supremes-temptations-75916991

theboyfromxtown
05-20-2011, 09:28 AM
Tu les as acheté?

marv2
05-20-2011, 10:27 AM
They may be not of the best quality but you can get them from ioffer : http://www.ioffer.com/i/t-c-b-12-9-68-dvd-diana-ross-supremes-temptations-75916991

He doesn't really want them Phil, because they are just too impossible to get unless a certain lady agrees..... Yeah right!

phil
05-20-2011, 12:16 PM
Tu les as acheté?

Non, je ne suis pas un grand fan des Supremes/No, I'm not a big fan of the Supremes.

blueskies
05-20-2011, 01:48 PM
Non, je ne suis pas un grand fan des Supremes/No, I'm not a big fan of the Supremes.

Je suis un grand fan, mais, je trouve que, après une couple viewings ... ces sont mis sur le plateau et commencer à rassembler la poussière. Donc, ne sera pas acheter tout.

Sacramento John
05-20-2011, 02:17 PM
The "Motown" TV specials include: TCB, GIT on Broadway, Diana!, The Smokey Robinson Special & Going Back To Indiana.

What has surprised me the most is that the Jackson 5 special has not beeen released, espeically in light of Michael's death. With that in mind, I have thought is was some hold up/reluctance on the part of the Gordy company.
Motown 25 has never made it to DVD, correct? So that has been held up as well. Wasn't there a concert movie as well? PUSH or something like that?

dba
05-20-2011, 02:30 PM
http://www.blackamericancinema.org/music-shows--tv-specials.html

Quality is great and TCB sill has the Times watch commercials!!!

randy_russi
05-20-2011, 02:49 PM
Wasn't there one called The Temptations Show? This was, of course, after the TCB and GIT onBroadway specials.

theboyfromxtown
05-20-2011, 03:00 PM
He doesn't really want them Phil, because they are just too impossible to get unless a certain lady agrees..... Yeah right!

Marv

I don't understand that response. Would you care to explain please?

theboyfromxtown
05-20-2011, 03:12 PM
Phil and dba

Thanks for those sites. It's a difficult one to decide - Phil's suggested site has better packaging but dba's site has better quality and a whole lot more too. I will need to check that they play in Europe.

I would like to see that Temps show too. Thanks Randy.

I am hoping that someone is selling some editions of Swinging Time too. Of course, I want the Velvelettes clips as a priority and the one I need the most is the edition when the girls donned Batman outfits. If anyone sees that for sale, I'd really appreciate the heads up

reese
05-20-2011, 07:12 PM
Wasn't there one called The Temptations Show? This was, of course, after the TCB and GIT onBroadway specials.

I think it aired in 1969 via syndication.

mysterysinger
05-20-2011, 07:28 PM
The Diana! special was shown on UK TV [[i.e. the one with Jackson 5, Bill Cosby etc) as I remember seeing it at the time. The CD seems pretty expensive. Not sure I would clamour that much, though, for a DVD of it.

Jimi LaLumia
05-20-2011, 08:56 PM
all other major groups of that era like The Beatles and The rolling Stones have great DVD s out of specials that they did;
TCB was a #1 network hit; doesn't Motown realize that they diminish the importance[[and therefore sales potential)of the artists by ignoring events like this,or the Motown 25 special not being available on DVD? simply ridiculous...

marv2
05-20-2011, 09:50 PM
Marv

I don't understand that response. Would you care to explain please?

I am saying that those programs have been available and out there for going on 20 years now and on DVD for the last 5 or 6 years ,has nothing to do with some woman [[I am assuming which a mistake,that you are referring to Diana Ross....). Have you searched or asked around much? If you want it, you can have it! At least that's the attitude here in the United States.

marv2
05-20-2011, 09:54 PM
No, they don't Marv! Maybe in America but not here in Europe. Those shows were never been shown in the UK.

And it's not necessarily Mr Gordy who needs to be persuaded. There is a certain lady who could give move this forward.

Why wait for her? LOL!

theboyfromxtown
05-21-2011, 01:49 PM
Marv

Nothing whatsoever to do with Diana Ross. The lady I was referring to was Suzanne De Passe.

Glenpwood
05-21-2011, 03:10 PM
I bet if you say T.C.B. to Suzanne DePasse she immediately hears "Suzaannne... Where is my honey and lemon?" LOL

All kidding aside, these shows need to be preserved as they are important cultural milestones in black and pop history..... I've always figured recutting deals with the Orchestra unions might be an issue for the specials but who knows..... Petula Clark's and Elvis' specials of the same era have been issued and have made money so how could this not?

theboyfromxtown
05-21-2011, 04:18 PM
Glenpwood

Your initial reference is probably too American for most Brits [[including me) to understand! Old SDF posters gained an insight to this lady [[from those that knew her) on some old threads many years ago and it wasn't particularly flattering. Ralph knew this lady from her days in Detroit

Additionally, I wrote to her personally and I don't have a good word to say about her either so I prefer to say nothing.

A few years ago she was in Billboard cooing about some nonsense, I can't even remember what it was about now - it was That noteworthy;

marv2
05-21-2011, 11:20 PM
Marv

Nothing whatsoever to do with Diana Ross. The lady I was referring to was Suzanne De Passe.

She is even less important.

marv2
05-21-2011, 11:21 PM
I bet if you say T.C.B. to Suzanne DePasse she immediately hears "Suzaannne... Where is my honey and lemon?" LOL

All kidding aside, these shows need to be preserved as they are important cultural milestones in black and pop history..... I've always figured recutting deals with the Orchestra unions might be an issue for the specials but who knows..... Petula Clark's and Elvis' specials of the same era have been issued and have made money so how could this not?

Exactly! LOL!!!!

Roberta75
05-22-2011, 07:55 PM
She is even less important.

In your opinion marv2. I see Miss Suzanne De Passe as a very respected woman in the entertainment industry. Did you know she is the Executive Producer of the critically acclaimed TV mini series Lonesome Dove? It's obvious to all that you have issues with both Miss De Passe and Miss Ross but must you be so negative? You spend inordinate amounts of time bashing Diana Ross on youtube and a lot of the things you write are really unnecessary and not very gentlemanly of you.

I have a feeling you are better than this. Seek the good and it will seek you.

Roberta.

marv2
05-22-2011, 08:01 PM
In your opinion marv2. I see Miss Suzanne De Passe as a very respected woman in the entertainment industry. Did you know she is the Executive Producer of the critically acclaimed TV mini series Lonesome Dove? It's obvious to all that you have issues with both Miss De Passe and Miss Ross but must you be so negative? You spend inordinate amounts of time bashing Diana Ross on youtube and a lot of the things you write are really unnecessary and not very gentlemanly of you.

I have a feeling you are better than this. Seek the good and it will seek you.

Roberta.

Don't you worry about I say, think or do. Aren't you a bible thumping mama. What did you think about the Rapture that didn 't happen yesterday, huh? Yeah right. That's what I thought.

Roberta75
05-22-2011, 09:09 PM
Don't you worry about I say, think or do. Aren't you a bible thumping mama. What did you think about the Rapture that didn 't happen yesterday, huh? Yeah right. That's what I thought.

Not all Christians believed that a Rapture would happen yesterday marv2 so please don't put words in my mouth. That is a crass generalization. Some of us are true believers but we don't spread hate nor are we fanatics.

stephanie
05-23-2011, 12:14 AM
The only way I think these are worth having on DVD is with outtakes for a Motown fan anyway. I admire Miss Depasse and her outside ventures but when it comes to anything she touches with Motown on it I have my reservations because of the non inclusion of important Motown alumni but that is another story. TCB and GIT with interviews and outtakes would be great but I guess I can dream cant I?

marv2
05-23-2011, 10:28 AM
The only way I think these are worth having on DVD is with outtakes for a Motown fan anyway. I admire Miss Depasse and her outside ventures but when it comes to anything she touches with Motown on it I have my reservations because of the non inclusion of important Motown alumni but that is another story. TCB and GIT with interviews and outtakes would be great but I guess I can dream cant I?

Having outtakes and interviews included would make it more interesting for sure. I watched "GIT" Sunday morning and without the commercials it does seem like a rather short program.

Leaving out so, so many Motown Alumni in those programs when many were still living and in good health was a crime!

Dream on!

jobeterob
05-23-2011, 01:21 PM
I'm not sure there is a big enough market for these shows anymore either. I have them stuffed somewhere and haven't watched them for years. Most fans seem to have them. I'm not sure I would buy another legitimate copy unless it had a lot of extras and I'm not sure what I'd watch.

Also, it is always said there are many licensing issues that arise; for example, that NBC owns the rights to TCB and THEY don't see a market for it. But if there is a market for Petula Clark there should be for TCB and Diana!

Suzanne seems a lot like Berry ~ business people, toe steppers, brutes when they figured they had to be; definitely no politicians; more like "I'll make the call and everyone else can stuff it".

chestersong
05-24-2011, 12:11 PM
to be quite honest, when i watched the bootlegged copies of these shows, my first impression was that they were not as good as i had remembered from the 60's. back then these shows seemed exciting because of the players but after all the variety shows in the 70's on tv and learning what we now know about how these singers and groups did not get along, today's viewing of the show seems terribly phony and edited. the soundtracks that came out were much more enjoyable to just listen to. although G.I.T. has many places where a visual is needed as the musical comedy was not strong.

Ramone Verona
05-24-2011, 05:51 PM
I agree.
These 2 broadcasts are being remembered better than they actually were.
I would purchase them, though.
Especially if Universal could release one of those discs with the soundtrack on one side, and the DVD on the other side.

Jimi LaLumia
05-24-2011, 06:12 PM
yes, a release of the Cd soundtrack paired with a DVD of the show...how could that go wrong? I mean, really..

captainjames
05-24-2011, 08:17 PM
I Transferred mine to DVD with and then without the commericials and they look pretty good. I am happy with what I have. Xtown if you need a copy give me a hollar.