PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday Jack Ashford!!!

test

loveblind
05-18-2011, 09:02 PM
Happy Birthday to one of the greats of Motown!

http://rhythmblues.org/upload/files/Jack%20Ashford.jpg

scanspeak
07-11-2011, 11:01 AM
I just finished reading his autobiography last night - a very enjoyable, inspiring and informative read. Amazing to read of his struggles in the post-Motown years and then see his prayers answered with "Standing in the Shadows". Thank you Jack, hope you're traveling well.

bankhousedave
07-12-2011, 03:56 PM
Jack is such a talented guy, I'm not sure if his prayers are answered even now. He was a great percussionist at Motown, and a lot of people still don't get how vital his work was to making Motown Motown. Take Jack's part off a lot of those things and it's not as tight as it turned out. But Jack is also a serious jazz vibes player, a song-writer, an arranger, a producer, a mixer and - who knew it? - a singer, with a very distinctive voice.

He still gets calls from those with ears, but he needs to be recognised as something more than a session man. This is the man who worked with the likes of Groove Holmes in the jazz world, and the power behind such labels as Pied Piper.

Happy belated birthday, Jack. You are a giant in more ways than one. Love to you and Char.

DAVE

ralpht
07-12-2011, 04:41 PM
Nice piece, Dave. So true...So true. Happy birthday Jack.

1382hitsville
07-12-2011, 05:01 PM
Happy belated birthday Mr. Ashford!

I had the chance to see him twice in the Netherlands. A great storyteller, a great musician and a warm and wonderful person.

stephanie
07-13-2011, 10:37 AM
Happy birthday Jack! It was nice meeting you five years ago and I didnt know you were so tall! Mr Tambourine Man I wish you the best.