PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming anniversary of first #1 Motown song

test

woodward
12-02-2021, 09:37 AM
On August 21, 1961, Tamla Records released Please Mr. Postman by the Marvelettes. It began it's rise in the charts. On December 11, 1961 it hit #1 on the Billboard Pop Singles chart earning it's achievement of the very first #1 from the record company that went changed the world.

Thanks to the Marvelettes for this accomplishment.

Good memories by all means.

daviddesper
12-02-2021, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the reminder. Scary to think that has been SIXTY years now! Where DID the time go????

motony
12-02-2021, 02:13 PM
wow, my first 45 of "Postman" was so worn the grooves were silver. That was the record I learned how to do the dance Mashed Potato too when I was 11.

Sharpmoves
12-03-2021, 10:08 AM
Well, what a milestone that is! I do hope someone sends Kat, Wanda and the other surviving original Marvelettes a nice bouquet to mark the occasion. We have a ot to thank those ladies for.

Motown Eddie
12-13-2021, 05:05 AM
Not only was The Marvelettes' "Please Mr. Postman" a milestone in Motown's history, it's the second Girl Group hit [after The Shirelles' "Will You Love Me Tomorrow"] to top the charts. Indeed, The Marvelettes helped pave the way for all other female vocal groups that followed them. Here's an article from UDiscover Music about "Please Mr. Postman".

‘Please Mr. Postman’: How The Marvelettes Scored Motown’s First No.1 [udiscovermusic.com [[https://www.udiscovermusic.com/stories/the-marvelettes-please-mr-postman-song/)].