PDA

View Full Version : Berry Gordy Jr. Announces Plans for New Musical About His Life

test

jobeterob
05-16-2011, 06:04 PM
Berry Gordy Jr. Announces Plans for New Musical About His Life

D.I.S.H.
Motown Records founder Berry Gordy Jr. wants to tell his story on Broadway

May 16, 2011

Motown Records founder Berry Gordy Jr. is developing a Broadway musical based on his life.

According to the New York Post, Gordy wants to set the record straight on the story of the iconic Detroit label.

Sources reportedly say Gordy, 81, has been working with former Universal Music CEO Doug Morris and RENT producer Kevin McCollum on the autobiographical tale, which will be set in the 1960s, during the height of the civil rights movement, and feature a score of Motown classics.

'Berry's been wanting to do this for a long time. He's got the money and investors lined up,' a source said. 'He's trying to involve Diana Ross and Smokey Robinson.'

The musical Dreamgirls — the movie version of which starred Jamie Foxx as Curtis Taylor, Jr., the sketchy founder of Rainbow Records — is thought to be based on the founding of Motown and Foxx's character a thinly veiled and unflattering depiction of Gordy. The production was slammed by Smokey Robinson and producers issued an apology, insisting the similarities were unintentional.

'This is Berry's chance to set the record straight,' a source told the Post.

Sources say Gordy has been blocking attempts to produce a Marvin Gaye biopic, fearing it might depict him in a negative light.

Directors F. Gary Gray and Cameron Crowe recently called it 'impossible' to license Gaye's music for the soundtrack and gave up on the project.

Gordy owns the rights to most of the Motown catalogues, but a rep says Gordy is "unaware" of any projects being blocked.

[[Photo by PR Photos)

daddyacey
05-19-2011, 12:51 AM
" 'This is Berry's chance to set the record straight,' a source told the Post.

Sources say Gordy has been blocking attempts to produce a Marvin Gaye biopic, fearing it might depict him in a negative light.

Directors F. Gary Gray and Cameron Crowe recently called it 'impossible' to license Gaye's music for the soundtrack and gave up on the project.

Gordy owns the rights to most of the Motown catalogues, but a rep says Gordy is "unaware" of any projects being blocked. "

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread.php?2743-Marvin-Gaye-s-Biopic

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread.php?2871-New-Motown-Musical

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread.php?1917-Mafia-controls-mOtOwn

Seems like this subject has come up before on the Forum. I see an interesting topic coming up and developing as more info comes to light.

jobeterob
05-20-2011, 01:45 AM
This idea has been floated before but never with any form and certainly not any concrete ideas.

Built around his friendships with Diana and Smokey........you've got a story.

When Berry sold Jobete, any good lawyer would have obtained for Berry a veto over the use of Jobete music in any movie or musical or tv show involving him and a certain list of Motown artists. It is fairly obvious this was done because the music is never used in any movie.

Other questions that arise are does the veto end when he passes away? Do Diana or Rhonda have such a veto? Will Berry's estate continue to have a veto? Does it last until all his children are gone?

theboyfromxtown
05-20-2011, 06:27 AM
A UK BBC production on Motown was similarly blocked by Mr Gordy's camp. The BBC producer did everything possible to speak to Mr Gordy himself because he was told that only Mr Gordy could give the go-ahead to use Motown songs. However, even the highest echelons of the BBC couldn't get to him and they were routinely blocked with the most outrageous excuses from Edna Anderson. The producer got round it by using all non-Jobete songs like I'm Gonna Make You Love Me, When You're Young And In Love etc.

After the event, Mr Gordy's camp put it out that the BBC had made no efforts to contact him.

I felt let down by a man I greatly admired. That was not the right thing to do.

snakepit
05-20-2011, 06:57 AM
Don't understand much of this... but I've heard plenty of Jobete tracks in many movies .

reese
05-20-2011, 10:08 AM
Don't understand much of this... but I've heard plenty of Jobete tracks in many movies .

I'm sure Berry has no problem with Jobete copyrights being used in movies like THE BIG CHILL, PLATOON, or JUMPING THE BROOM. I just heard a rare Miracles song in the new movie BRIDESMAIDS. It generates enormous revenue.

But understandably he would have a problem approving clearance of Jobete copyrights to a project like, say, a Marvin Gaye or Flo Ballard bio, or any other project that could portray him, Motown, or any one that he loves in a potentially negative light. If I was in his position, I would do the same.

theboyfromxtown
05-20-2011, 10:25 AM
Reese,

As I understood it from the BBC producer, that was not how it worked in that case. EMI in New York were able to say yes or no. However, when they said NO, only BG had the power to "overrule" them.

The production that I was referring to didn't protray any negativity whatsoever, it was a celebration for small theatres in the UK. However EMI in New York wasn't interested in the story; they were only interested in the dollar return.

reese
05-20-2011, 10:36 AM
Reese,

As I understood it from the BBC producer, that was not how it worked in that case. EMI in New York were able to say yes or no. However, when they said NO, only BG had the power to "overrule" them.

The production that I was referring to didn't protray any negativity whatsoever, it was a celebration for small theatres in the UK. However EMI in New York wasn't interested in the story; they were only interested in the dollar return.

That's interesting.

So basicially, for whatever reason, he and EMI NY just didn't want Jobete copyrights involved in that project. The project itself seems harmless enough.

theboyfromxtown
05-20-2011, 02:31 PM
Reese

BG would not take the calls. Edna Anderson did and knew all about it and was the one offering the excuses.

Did BG know about it? No question in my mind that the boss knew what was going on.

I was very disappointed with BG. He was a man I looked up to but that incident made me realise I have to wear my business hat at all times.

tsull1
05-21-2011, 12:34 AM
I'd rather watch a full-length feature film or documentary on his life. I read his autobiography and enjoyed it. Sure, a lot of the dirt was removed and it was naturally pro-Berry, heck, he wrote it, but it's a fascinating story. Young man is a boxer and a savvy businessman who comes up from poverty to create the greatest and most successful record company of all time.

His eye for singing, songwriting, producing and arranging talent and to put the people in position to succeed was unprecedented. Yes, I know Berry could play hardball with anyone. Yes, he could be a ruthless businessman, that's part of his story, too. All interesting figures are flawed. Heck, we're all flawed. I like Berry and I like his story. But a musical? Well, I'm not that interested. Of course I would like the music, but it wouldn't be the originals singing it. It would be Broadwayed to death, i.e., sub-par arrangements.

That said, the Berry Gordy story is a great American tale, whether you like the guy or not. I'd like to see Denzel play Berry in a full-length feature film, and I'd like to see the Jesse Martin as Marvin Gaye picture get off the ground, too.

daddyacey
05-21-2011, 02:11 AM
Reese

I was very disappointed with BG. He was a man I looked up to but that incident made me realise I have to wear my business hat at all times.

Alas , The Law Of The Jungle we call business. Business is Business ,everything else is ,everything else.
"Thou father who are on wall street ,honor be thou buck!"

daddyacey
05-22-2011, 01:22 AM
I just thought these two threads should be cross reff'ed together.

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread.php?2872-Berry-Gordy-Jr.-Announces-Plans-for-New-Musical-to-Involve-Diana-amp-Smokey&p=49608#post49608

jobeterob
05-23-2011, 12:51 PM
You guys have this scenario down pat.

I question exactly how the Broadway show would work; it would concentrate on the songs I assume with some innocuous story line threading through it. I bet it could be hugely popular and go on forever; I'm not sure what real Motown fans would find very interesting or exciting about it.

And Reese spells out exactly what Berry Gordy has done; it is nothing every other business person with some legal and accounting advice would do. It maximizes his financial return and protects himself, his family and those he loves.

Of course they license songs for movies ~ that makes money and those movies have nothing to do with Motown. But you don't hear a Motown song in a movie event tangentally about Motown, like Dreamgirls. But you did have Smokey go out and crap on them; and that wasn't hard because it was a lame movie.

I suspect Berry has Motown music tied up well beyond his death; it will probably be tied up at least until all of his direct descendants are gone and he will have someone with brains, like Rhonda Ross, in charge of what happens.

And why Berry and EMI would play games with little productions ~ well all I can think of is that they have a "policy" ~ and the policy is that NO Jobete music is used and the prohibition is blanket.