PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Evette Benton of the Sweethearts of Sigma

test

brother_love
11-06-2021, 09:12 PM
Remembering Evette Benton of the Sweethearts of Sigma aka the Sweeties

Motown Eddie
11-07-2021, 04:33 AM
Sorry to hear about Evette Benton of the Sweethearts Of Sigma. Her work as a background singer truly enhanced so many of my favorite Philly Soul Classics. Rest In Music, Power & Peace, Evette.

PeaceNHarmony
11-07-2021, 09:17 AM
Thanks so much for adding so much to the music we love, Ms. Evette.

sansradio
11-07-2021, 10:00 AM
Wow. I believe there's only one "Sweetie" left. I had the pleasure of seeing them back up Patti LaBelle live in concert a couple of times, and, of course, their contributions to nearly the entire Philly International oeuvre have brought great joy to all of us. Rest in power, Miss Benton, and thank you.

splanky
11-07-2021, 10:58 AM
The work Evette and these women put in was so valuable to the enjoyment of so much
music by so many for so many years. Was always glad someone took the time to give
them their flowers at least a few times while they were all still here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ9pwMwqyC4

RIP, Evette....

jboy88
11-07-2021, 02:31 PM
This really sucks! Even though she was only a background vocalist, I still hold her and rest of the Sweethearts in high regard for their contributions to the Philly Sound. RIP Ms. Benton!

Philles/Motown Gary
12-01-2021, 07:15 AM
I'm so sorry to hear of Evette Benton's passing. The Sweethearts of Sigma were among my favorite back-up performers -- right up there with the best of the renowned back-up groups like Motown's Andantes, Phil Spector's Blossoms, Barry White's Love Unlimited, Van McCoy's Faith, Hope & Charity, and Hi Record's Rhodes, Chalmers & Rhodes. Of all the back-up groups, The Sweethearts Of Sigma had the sweetest blend. Their sugary vocals graced nearly every Philly Soul recording coming out of Sigma Sound studio in the 1970s. Evette will surely be missed, along with fellow Sweetheart Barbara Ingram who passed away back in 1994.