05-14-2011, 10:07 AM
twirling capes and all http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fyilN-x-tk

Ramone Verona
05-14-2011, 10:18 AM
I don't know.
I just don't know.

smark21
05-14-2011, 12:36 PM
Was High Energy in their show for long? The song works better with a disco/symphonic sound, than with a brassy Vegas arrangement.

luke
05-14-2011, 01:03 PM
lol--good response Ramone!

stephanie
05-14-2011, 05:10 PM
Considering the audience [[look at them) and that this was the 70s its pretty good especially the vocals. The steps leave something to be desired but I like the movements with the scarfs its better than the Emotions maybe not better than the Pointer Sisters but vocally and visually for its time it was good. Susaye has a great voice. Mary and Scherrie sound just like the album.

uptight
05-14-2011, 05:56 PM
They looked beautiful and were in good voice. I'm enjoying the rest of the clips from this show. Choreography for "I'm Gonna Let My Heart" is entertaining, especially in those heels! Great harmonies.

carlo
05-14-2011, 06:47 PM
They're like sexy bull fighters!

luke
05-14-2011, 09:23 PM
Susaye's voice sounds much lower than the record--?

jeff9nyc
05-14-2011, 10:46 PM
OY! By the time the Supremes got to this incarnation they weren't really the Supremes to me anymore. They were a group that Mary was in with two other girls. I think they would have been better served to have renamed themselves Mary, Scherrie and Susaye. The Supremes really stop existing for me when Jean left. That said, I did like all three post-Jean albums. They were well done. But they never made it live.

chestersong
05-14-2011, 11:20 PM
it's not easy to listen to. and it's a long way away from Diana and Mary and Florence. the crowd featured looks to be middle-aged businessmen on some adventure. it's just not the supremes and it's a bit creepy. i'm sure the entire performance would sit better with me.

Ramone Verona
05-15-2011, 01:20 PM
The men enjoyed watching the supremes wave their "no-no" fingers at them while undressing with the scarves.
Just a little convention hy-jinxs.
No worse than The Shriners or The Elks.

luke
05-15-2011, 08:37 PM
I think thats the point--the Elks and Shriners can b pretty creepy.

blueskies
05-15-2011, 08:44 PM
This was in Montreux.....not sure they have Elks and Shriners there?

luke
05-15-2011, 09:31 PM
Metaphor! :)

kenneth
05-15-2011, 11:12 PM
The choreography could have been better and the scarves could have been dispensed with. But I like the arrangement. I don't think it's that easy to reproduce a disco hit with a live band, but I think this orchestra does really well, keeping the spirit of the song but adapting it to a live performance.

I also think Susaye is in fine voice though she does seem to be singing in a lower register than on the LP track we're more familiar with. I think some of what posters complain about the vocals is likely just due to the low fidelity reproduction through the YouTube video. I'm going to listen to my CD of this concert and see if it is indeed the same version. I'm sure it's the same arrangement, no doubt.

Now that I know in addition to this, and my other favorite post-Diane Supremes song, "Come Into My Life" both have Susaye on lead [[I was corrected on my misconception on who was singing lead on that one by Ms. Green herself), well I guess she is my favorite Supremes singer of all!

chestersong
05-16-2011, 12:49 AM
i bet you are really on to something when you made your point about the quality of a production we see and listen to on youtube. never thought about that. just imagine how out of context it all is. the idea of watching and listening to a single song out of an entire concert some 33 years plus from when it went down. pretty hard to be able to critique in the best of circumstances.
there is an alternate "I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking" where the girls sing a bunch of "walk on, walk on, walk on's" in and this very much reminds me of their live performance of this song. guess they got the idea from this version of just how to approach the song live. i remember the disco hit "He's My Man" performed on Carson and that band just couldn't "sound disco". i thought it was uncomfortable to watch, or listen to. the sound gave such a poor contrast to the studio record. maybe all disco performed "live" was poor compared to the perfect studio sounds.

REDHOT
05-16-2011, 02:32 AM
To this day,i love watching The Supremes[[Mary Cindy Scherrie) on The Johnny Carson Show,i was a fan,that day,and i'm still a fan today, 2011.
Please stay positive

blueskies
05-16-2011, 09:23 AM
Metaphor! :)

Oops....a little slow on the uptake on this end!

telekin
05-17-2011, 05:41 PM
love this! I always get a little chuckle when Scherrie starts stepping on Mary's scarf at the 1.12 mark, just before they start their finger-wagging..