PDA

View Full Version : Father and daughter walk up the aisle song ideas

test

rovereab
10-15-2021, 06:08 AM
Soon I have the immense pleasure of walking my daughter up the aisle at her wedding. She has requested that I come up with a suitable Motown song to play whilst we do the walking.

I'm so pleased that she has asked for a Motown song for this purpose but I've drawn a blank for a song that covers the essence of a father and daughter in this setting.

Can I please ask for your ideas.

Philles/Motown Gary
10-15-2021, 02:50 PM
Congrats to your daughter, Rovereab! The first Motown song that comes to mind is Marvin & Tammi's "Sad Wedding", although I wouldn't recommend it! Ha! How about Marvin & Tammi's "You're All I Need To Get By". It says it all, and it's one of Motown's prettiest.

reese
10-15-2021, 02:57 PM
It would be a long walk, but ENDLESS LOVE would be nice. I suppose you could cut out a verse or two.

carlo
10-15-2021, 04:36 PM
Congratulations!

Yes I would agree with Endless Love or perhaps I Hear A Symphony. We used Diana's Why Do Fools Fall In Love for our walk-out song, at the end of the ceremony :)

Philles/Motown Gary
10-15-2021, 05:30 PM
How about Diana's "Now That There's You" from her first solo album? Or, better yet, Diana's solo version of "When You Tell Me That You Love Me" from her "Force Behind The Power" CD.

WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance
10-15-2021, 07:15 PM
Not sure either of these will be appropriate but the Marvelettes had a beautiful, though unreleased song, "Little Girls Grow Up." The story line goes from childhood to a father walking his daughter down the aisle. The other song is Claudette Robinson's "Father Dear."

rovereab
10-16-2021, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the suggestions folks. I initially thought of You're All I Need but I feel that song would be more appropriate for the newly weds than father and daughter.

I already have a special dance in the evening for us two with Turn Around by Diana Ross playing.

The "aisle song" is a difficult nut to crack!

Thanks everyone.

Philles/Motown Gary
10-16-2021, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the suggestions folks. I initially thought of You're All I Need but I feel that song would be more appropriate for the newly weds than father and daughter.

I already have a special dance in the evening for us two with Turn Around by Diana Ross playing.

The "aisle song" is a difficult nut to crack!

Thanks everyone.

Rovereab, you're absolutely right about "You're All I Need To Get By" being more appropriate for the Bride & Groom. That hadn't occurred to me until now.. I think your choice of Diana's "Turn Around" is perfect for the Father & Daughter dance! Let me put on my thinking cap for that Father & Daughter "Down The Aisle" segment.

mysterysinger
10-16-2021, 05:55 PM
If all else fails "Third Finger, Left Hand"

rovereab
10-16-2021, 06:19 PM
I think your choice of Diana's "Turn Around" is perfect for the Father & Daughter dance!.

I well up just thinking about this dance to Turn Around!

Philles/Motown Gary
10-16-2021, 08:24 PM
I well up just thinking about this dance to Turn Around!

Diana's performance is inspiring, for sure! She has the power to break a heart with one note. If it's any consolation, my father cried when he walked my sister down the aisle at her wedding. If you should shed a tear, just blame it on Diana!

arr&bee
10-16-2021, 09:32 PM
My daughter and i danced to[my girl]at her wedding.

Philles/Motown Gary
10-16-2021, 09:38 PM
Rovereab, what would you think of Stevie Wonder's "Isn't She Lovely"? It's definitely a tribute to his beloved daughter. I really wanted to recommend Stevie's "Overjoyed" because it's so beautiful, but a couple of the lines throughout, I think, are too romantic.

mysterysinger
10-17-2021, 08:29 AM
Ah yes I have the sixties sheet music to "Turn Around". By Freddie and The Dreamers all those years ago. Maybe not Motown lol.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookephotography/35860844876/in/photolist-WCUcNU

sansradio
10-17-2021, 11:59 AM
Ah yes I have the sixties sheet music to "Turn Around". By Freddie and The Dreamers all those years ago. Maybe not Motown lol.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookephotography/35860844876/in/photolist-WCUcNU

Yeah, it’s definitely a Harry Belafonte original.

danman869
10-17-2021, 12:27 PM
If you had someone with good music file editing abilities, you could use "We Couldn't Get Along Without You" [from the recent Sing HDH:EE] and edit "My World Is Empty Without You" from "I Hear A Symphony:EE" [I cite them as two recent very-well mastered options] and excise out the parts about "Berry" and put in instrumental sections where they originally were. It could possible come across as a bit egotistical that you think she couldn't get along without you and how wonderful you [Berry] are, but... it's an option. It's seemingly easy to find songs in the Supremes/Motown canon that are great for a couple... but Father/Daughter is a challenge to make sure it doesn't sound, well, "creepy."

I'm sure you'll find the right thing, Eamonn!

rovereab
10-17-2021, 01:39 PM
Yeah, it’s definitely a Harry Belafonte original.

It's such a beautiful song which Diana does justice too. I need to decide which version. I have the original TMITM, the quad version and the alternate version.

At least I don't need to consider Junior Walker's Shotgun for the wedding :)

Philles/Motown Gary
10-17-2021, 01:54 PM
at least i don't need to consider junior walker's shotgun for the wedding :)

lol!!!!!!!

grapevine
10-17-2021, 02:58 PM
Soon I have the immense pleasure of walking my daughter up the aisle at her wedding. She has requested that I come up with a suitable Motown song to play whilst we do the walking.

...my fave Motown wedding song is For Better Or Worse ...by Diana Ross & The Supremes & The Temptations...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0Ob8mOrDFg

Grape :)

drewschultz88
10-18-2021, 09:36 PM
I think “My Girl” is a great choice - it’s an all time classic, it’s super well known, not too fast and not too slow, and nothing in the lyric makes the song specific to romantic love, it could very easily fit family and friends. “Isn’t She Lovely” is another great call!

rovereab
10-19-2021, 06:02 AM
Sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed here.

My Girl will be the aisle walk music and my special father/daughter dance in the evening will be Turn Around - the Quad mix as Diana's vocal is more up front. I'm expecting a few tears with Turn Around :)

lucky2012
10-19-2021, 08:23 AM

My Girl will be the aisle walk music and my special father/daughter dance in the evening will be Turn Around - the Quad mix as Diana's vocal is more up front. I'm expecting a few tears with Turn Around :)

The best choices. Best wishes! :)

Philles/Motown Gary
10-19-2021, 11:54 AM
All excellent choices! Best of luck to you and your family on your daughter's special day! [[PS: As luck would have it, another Motown track has occurred to me - Martha & The Vandellas' "Let This Day Be").

MotownLover
10-20-2021, 01:17 PM
I Hear A Symphony but not the normal version we are accustomed to. All my CDs are packed up for my upcoming move so I can't take a look.

I have a non-Motown CD of beautifully produced instrumentals with lots of strings. I know I Hear A Symphony is the title of the release. Found it!

I Hear a Symphony: The Classic Hits of Motown https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B002R0HT46/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_QNYKXZWVTCB113B95YKT

Philles/Motown Gary
10-20-2021, 01:44 PM
I Hear A Symphony but not the normal version we are accustomed to. All my CDs are packed up for my upcoming move so I can't take a look.

I have a non-Motown CD of beautifully produced instrumentals with lots of strings. I know I Hear A Symphony is the title of the release. Found it!

I Hear a Symphony: The Classic Hits of Motown https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B002R0HT46/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_QNYKXZWVTCB113B95YKT

Wow! Motownlover, I have this CD, too, but had temporarily forgotten all about it. If ever there were a Motown song fit for a wedding, this is it! The Classical arrangement with massive choir is magnificent! Rovereab, you should check this out before making your FINAL final decision. [[WARNING: If you're already getting teary-eyed, as you mentioned, you'll need a whole box of tissues for this one!) Here's the YouTube AUDIO link:

THE ROYAL PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA & CHOIR - "I Hear A Symphony" [[Audio Link)
https://youtu.be/X_dXJK0m_j4

fourtopsjim
10-20-2021, 02:08 PM

I know you've chosen your Aisle song, but I think Still Water would also have been nice, especially with the opening "Walk with me, Take my hand". The lyrics can also be applied to a father-daughter relationship.

MotownLover
10-21-2021, 02:42 AM
How about "It Should Have Been Me"? Not really.

Philles/Motown Gary
10-21-2021, 02:56 AM
How about "It Should Have Been Me"? Not really.

HaHa! Motownlover, I thought of that one, too!!!

Ollie9
10-21-2021, 07:17 AM
Not Motown, but one of the ballads from Diana’s new album would be rather nice.

thanxal
10-21-2021, 09:14 AM
Well, whatever you do, don't use "Someday We'll Be Together" or "Nowhere to Run".
LOL.