PDA

View Full Version : Take a closer look at me

test

franjoy56
10-13-2021, 01:53 AM
In Mary's book supreme glamour she states that Jean recorded take a closer look as a solo artist for possible supremes release and we added our vocals to these tracks later. I know t andantes did a lot of backup work on that lp right on but were Mary and cindy on that track it's a great song and Jean was superb on lead vocals

blackguy69
10-13-2021, 08:26 AM
As we know the songs that Frank Wilson produced Mary and Cindy sang on them. Plus You Move Me and Then I Met You.

PeaceNHarmony
10-13-2021, 08:34 AM
In Mary's book supreme glamour she states that Jean recorded take a closer look as a solo artist for possible supremes release and we added our vocals to these tracks later. I know t andantes did a lot of backup work on that lp right on but were Mary and cindy on that track it's a great song and Jean was superb on lead vocalsThe backing vocals always seemed to me to be Mary and Cindy. I do love the track -

Thornton
10-13-2021, 12:31 PM
This track always sound like just The Andantes, but Mary and Cindy could certainly be in the mix somewhere. I'm always pleased to find out when M&C are on tracks I assumed were The Andantes.

carlo
10-13-2021, 01:54 PM
I agree with you, Thornton. I always figured it's only the Andantes on this track. Great song btw. One of my favourites.

sup_fan
10-13-2021, 02:51 PM
As we know the songs that Frank Wilson produced Mary and Cindy sang on them. Plus You Move Me and Then I Met You.

Henry Cosby produced Just Take A Closer Look at Me and Al Kent did You Move Me. Jimmy Roach did Then I Met You

Frank did Ladder, Loving Country, Everybody, but i love you more

the BG vocals for Take A Closer Look were recorded on 1/20. my guess here is that it's only the A's [[or whatever studio singers). It is certainly possible that there were multiple recording dates for backing vocals but it's not listed on anything. we have dates of multiple Jean lead dates for this song. but if we assume just that 1 recording date then it's most likely just the studio singers

blackguy69
10-13-2021, 05:37 PM
You forgot Baby Baby that Frank produced
Henry Cosby produced Just Take A Closer Look at Me and Al Kent did You Move Me. Jimmy Roach did Then I Met You

the BG vocals for Take A Closer Look were recorded on 1/20. my guess here is that it's only the A's [[or whatever studio singers). It is certainly possible that there were multiple recording dates for backing vocals but it's not listed on anything. we have dates of multiple Jean lead dates for this song. but if we assume just that 1 recording date then it's most likely just the studio singers

daviddh
10-13-2021, 05:50 PM
if ever an album other than A GO GO, needs an expanded edition , it would be this album.
i say a combo possibly
Right On expanded / Lost and Found

sup_fan
10-13-2021, 10:41 PM
You forgot Baby Baby that Frank produced

that's right! i knew there was a fifth one!

i'm also guessing that frank was the Exec producer so he would have had a hand in selecting which tracks were included

daviddh
10-16-2021, 07:55 PM
Life beats ....was a gem

franjoy56
10-17-2021, 09:56 PM
[QUOTE=sup_fan;663558]Henry Cosby produced Just Take A Closer Look at Me and Al Kent did You Move Me. Jimmy Roach did Then I Met You

the BG vocals for Take A Closer Look were recorded on 1/20. my guess here is that it's only the A's [[or whatever studio singers). It is certainly possible that there were multiple recording dates for backing vocals but it's not listed on anything. we have dates of multiple Jean lead dates for this song. but if we assume just that 1 recording date then it's most likely just the studio

thanks for t enlightenment I think Mary and cindy would have sounded great on that record alone but t A's did a good job.

blackguy69
10-18-2021, 10:15 AM
It is possible that Mary and Cindy might have added their vocals seeing that it was after the farewell show and before their Ed Sullivan debut. They had a full month for recording and rehearsal

sup_fan
10-18-2021, 01:50 PM
It is possible that Mary and Cindy might have added their vocals seeing that it was after the farewell show and before their Ed Sullivan debut. They had a full month for recording and rehearsal

absolutely. there's basically no info on the track Baby Baby but then other songs have lots and lots of recording dates noted. like when lead was recorded, when additional lead was recorded, when strings were added, etc.

So it is certainly possible that we just don't have the info

Philles/Motown Gary
10-19-2021, 03:46 AM
"Take A Closer Look At Me" is a dynamite track! Jean and the back-up girls soar! I think it would have been an excellent follow-up single to "Up The Ladder To The Roof". "Everybody Has The Right To Love" was a pleasant-enough album track, but it lacked hit-single potential. [[The 45 mix always seemed too slow to me, whereas the LP version was a tad more uptempo.) Either way, "Take A Closer Look At Me" had the hit-record spark.