PDA

View Full Version : UK TOUR CLIFF RICHARD - LAMONT DOZIER - RUSSELLTHOMPKINS - DENNIS EDWARDS etc etc

test

MIKEW-UK
05-12-2011, 09:47 AM
http://www.cliffrichard.org/mailing/newmarket_01052011/newmarket_01052011.htm

theboyfromxtown
05-12-2011, 11:19 AM
Hey Mike, you beat me to it!

One of my neighbours received a leaflet about a week ago cos she's a mad Cliff Richard fan. I glossed over it and then saw who else was on the bill..Dennis Edwards, Stylistics, Freda Payne etc. WOW.

MIKEW-UK
05-13-2011, 06:41 AM
Here's an oblique connection....... I expect you know that the Flirtations were frequently on the Cliff Richard Show back in 1971 /1972. The backing group for Cliff were The Shadows, of which Bruce Welch was and is the bassist. It was Bruce who gave the name Pearly Gates to Viloa Billups of The Flirtations. Pearly Gates was then introduced into the Australian market by Bruce and her recordings were distributed by Festival. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUo8ndaLziw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC8bgOqTHRs Festival also issued Band of Gold in Australia by Freda Payne, who is on the bill with Cliff Richard. Are you keeping up?

Here's what they say is the playlist....
Some of the songs that will be featured in the performance include: Dennis Edwards [[“Papa Was A Rollin’ Stone”; “I Can’t Get Next To You” and “Psychedelic Shack”); Russell Thompkins, Jr & the New Stylistics, the original lead singer of all the Stylistics hit records [[“Rock ‘N Roll Baby”; “Can’t Help Falling In Love”; and “You Make Me Feel Brand New”; Candi Staton [[“You Got The Love”; “Young Hearts Run Free” and “Stand By Your Man”); Billy Paul [[“Me & Mrs. Jones”; “Let ‘Em In” and “Your Song”); Freda Payne [[“Band Of Gold”; “Bring The Boys Home” and “Deeper And Deeper”); Percy Sledge [[“When A Man Loves A Woman”; “Warm And Tender Love” and “Take Time To Know Her”), as well as Lamont Dozier; Brenda Holloway [[“Every Little Bit Hurts” ; “When I’m Gone” & “You Made Me So Very Happy”); Deniece Williams [[‘Lets Hear it for the Boy’, ‘Free’ and ‘It’s Gonna Take a Miracle’. Marilyn McCoo & Billy Davis, Jr [[“Aquarius/ Let the Sunshine In”, “You don’t have to be a star [[to be in my show), “Up Up and Away”)

And finally, on the Cliff Richard Show 21st September 1974, Cliff performed with The Three Degrees, Pearly Gates and The Nolan Sisters - The Love I Lost, If You Don't Know Me By Now and Love Train. Regrettably there is no known record of Cliff performing with The Marvelettes...........

wonder_woman
05-13-2011, 07:09 PM
certainly not a fan of Sir Cliff, but would love to see Lamont, Russell and a few of the other great singers in the line-up, hope to get up bright & early to book this after a night of The Whispers.

Ramone Verona
05-14-2011, 11:16 AM
Isn't Cliff about 102 years old?
"She's Just A Devil Woman, With Evil On Her Mi-ind"

luke
05-14-2011, 01:18 PM
Great line-up; is Cliff considered SOUL?? in UK?

MIKEW-UK
05-14-2011, 08:25 PM
Not remotely.......never in a million years.....couldn't be further removed from soul.....BUT ......irrespective of that, he does attract vast audiences still, and this tour is in very big venues and gives lots of exposure and hopefully a respectable financial return to all the soul artists who will be performing and recording with him. Never in my wildest dreams could I have imagined Lamont Dozier sharing a stage with Cliff Richard, but if the artists enjoy it, the audience enjoys it and it leads to monies and recognition going to these great soul artists, it has to be a very good thing indeed...

I did see same line up only last October in the UK without Cliff, there were concerts promoted by David Gest who is the 'producer and director' of this new tour. Two observations; first, most of the artists were restricted to only one song, [[Russell got to sing two), even Lamont was restricted to a performance of 'How Sweet It Is'..... there were so many artists, I guess this was a question of timing.....looking at the playlist above, I am wondering if they will be given the opportunity to perform their songs in full, or be restricted to the old 'medley' routine...second, David Gest's 'humour' might not be compatible with Cliff Richard's values and his audience...anyone who saw Gest's 'performance' in Stockport might make the same observation.

PianoMD
05-15-2011, 01:33 PM
I do know that Russell will be singing more than two song this tour.

adrian
05-15-2011, 02:12 PM
Here's what they say is the playlist....
Some of the songs that will be featured in the performance include: Dennis Edwards [[“Papa Was A Rollin’ Stone”; “I Can’t Get Next To You” and “Psychedelic Shack”); Russell Thompkins, Jr & the New Stylistics, the original lead singer of all the Stylistics hit records [[“Rock ‘N Roll Baby”; “Can’t Help Falling In Love”; and “You Make Me Feel Brand New”; Candi Staton [[“You Got The Love”; “Young Hearts Run Free” and “Stand By Your Man”); Billy Paul [[“Me & Mrs. Jones”; “Let ‘Em In” and “Your Song”); Freda Payne [[“Band Of Gold”; “Bring The Boys Home” and “Deeper And Deeper”); Percy Sledge [[“When A Man Loves A Woman”; “Warm And Tender Love” and “Take Time To Know Her”), as well as Lamont Dozier; Brenda Holloway [[“Every Little Bit Hurts” ; “When I’m Gone” & “You Made Me So Very Happy”); Deniece Williams [[‘Lets Hear it for the Boy’, ‘Free’ and ‘It’s Gonna Take a Miracle’. Marilyn McCoo & Billy Davis, Jr [[“Aquarius/ Let the Sunshine In”, “You don’t have to be a star [[to be in my show), “Up Up and Away”)

Is it the playlist or what they consider to be their best know songs? This is from The LG Arena website:-

This live tour and album concept conceived by television star and music producer David Gest will see Sir Cliff Richard duet with more than ten soul legends on a brand new album and tour [[featuring selected artists from the record) for EMI Music.
Already confirmed to duet with Cliff Richard on the album as well as perform on this October 2011 UK tour, which will be produced and directed by Gest, are: Dennis Edwards & The Temptations Review, the Original Grammy Award-Winning lead singer of many of The Temptations classic hits [[“Papa Was A Rollin’ Stone”; “I Can’t Get Next To You” and “Psychedelic Shack”); Russell Thompkins, Jr & the New Stylistics, the original lead singer of all the Stylistics hit records [[“Rock ‘N Roll Baby”; “Can’t Help Falling In Love”; and “You Make Me Feel Brand New”; Candi Staton [[“You Got The Love”; “Young Hearts Run Free” and “Stand By Your Man”); Billy Paul [[“Me & Mrs. Jones”; “Let ‘Em In” and “Your Song”); Freda Payne [[“Band Of Gold”; “Bring The Boys Home” and “Deeper And Deeper”); Percy Sledge [[“When A Man Loves A Woman”; “Warm And Tender Love” and “Take Time To Know Her”), as well as Lamont Dozier; Brenda Holloway [[“Every Little Bit Hurts” ; “When I’m Gone” & “You Made Me So Very Happy”); Deniece Williams [[‘Lets Hear it for the Boy’, ‘Free’ and ‘It’s Gonna Take a Miracle’. Marilyn McCoo & Billy Davis, Jr [[“Aquarius/ Let the Sunshine In”, “You don’t have to be a star [[to be in my show), “Up Up and Away”). And this is just the beginning of an amazing list being assembled for this project

MIKEW-UK
05-15-2011, 04:05 PM
http://www.shropshirelive.com/2011/05/11/sir-cliff-richard-and-soul-legends-in-the-midlands/

this was the source of the above playlist....not especially authoritative perhaps?

mysterysinger
05-22-2011, 05:33 PM
Amazing - has to be an April Fool right?

Saw Cliff and the Shads on their 50th Anniversary Tour in 2009 so, yes, I do like some of his stuff [[and I was named The Mystery Singer after his character in The Young Ones film when I performed some Cliff numbers at a Shaddicts night!).

More importantly, have seen live Dennis [[Temptations), Russell [[Stylistics), Candi Staton, Freda Payne and, of course, Brenda Holloway. I am a big fan of each of them BUT where can I find £60-£70 from [[x2 if I take the Mrs), when there are so many great cds being released right now?