PDA

View Full Version : First review of "Thank You"

test

whitesoxx
08-20-2021, 08:04 AM
In their upcoming issue, UK [[rock) magazine UNCUT posted a review of "Thank You". They presumably had a review copy already as the proposed release date of the album was September of course.

This is what it says:

DIANA ROSS
Thank You
Decca

7/10

An open-hearted comeback from the Queen of Motown

The good cheer is infectious on Diana Ross' first album in 15 years and her first new material in more than 20. Working with producer Jack Antonoff and recording at home studio during the pandemic, the soul legend sings rousing pop songs about gratitude, endurance and community with titles like "If The World Just Danced" and "The Answer's Always Love".

It might come across as oppressively chipper if the beats weren't so relentlessly sparkly and if Ross didn't sound so committed to the sentiments. As with her best material, it's an album to lip-sync for your life to. [[STEPHEN DEUSNER)

Sounds very promising!

Jaap
08-20-2021, 09:19 AM
I now realize that "The Answer's Always Love" is actually a cover. Siedah Garrett recorded it in 2017. Beautiful song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJeNS3w_Btk

Spreadinglove21
08-20-2021, 09:46 AM
I thought I read in the publicity releases at time the single Thank You came out that Diana Ross had a hand in writing all the songs on the album? If so then either she re wrote some words on that Garrett song, or this is completely different song with the same title.

Jaap
08-20-2021, 10:09 AM
I thought I read in the publicity releases at time the single Thank You came out that Diana Ross had a hand in writing all the songs on the album? If so then either she re wrote some words on that Garrett song, or this is completely different song with the same title.

On the published track list, the song is credited to Siedah Garrett and Bart Eastman, so I assume it is the same song [[but of course, we won't know until the actual album is out). Also according to that list, Ross is credited on 7 of the 13 songs as co-author.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thank_You_[[Diana_Ross_album)

PeaceNHarmony
08-20-2021, 10:18 AM
A nice pre-release review, indeed!

florence
08-20-2021, 01:00 PM
Very nice review.

I've liked what I've heard so far.

Looking forward to Diana's version of The Answer's Always Loved -this could have been a big UK hit in the 1990's - would have fitted in nicely on the Force album.

carlo
08-21-2021, 09:09 PM
Nice to see a positive review! Thanks for sharing. Can't wait!

Spreadinglove21
08-21-2021, 09:17 PM
On the published track list, the song is credited to Siedah Garrett and Bart Eastman, so I assume it is the same song [[but of course, we won't know until the actual album is out). Also according to that list, Ross is credited on 7 of the 13 songs as co-author.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thank_You_[[Diana_Ross_album)

Thanks for the correction and info.

Jaap
08-22-2021, 04:45 AM
Looking forward to Diana's version of The Answer's Always Loved -this could have been a big UK hit in the 1990's - would have fitted in nicely on the Force album.

The songs has the same feel [[at least to me) as Luther's "Dance with my father."

Ollie9
08-23-2021, 01:28 PM
The songs has the same feel [[at least to me) as Luther's "Dance with my father."

I agree, very reminiscent of “DWMF”. It’s a pretty song, but I find the lyrics a ‘tad twee.

Spreadinglove21
08-24-2021, 08:52 AM
Siedah Garrett is a good singer, but doesn't have that star quality. Hopefully Diana's star quality will help make this song more interesting on the album.

BTW, has Diana ever covered Dance with My Father in her shows? From what I read she had a complex relationship with her own father. It would be interesting to her take on such a song if she's willing to go there.

reese
08-24-2021, 09:05 AM
Siedah Garrett is a good singer, but doesn't have that star quality. Hopefully Diana's star quality will help make this song more interesting on the album.

BTW, has Diana ever covered Dance with My Father in her shows? From what I read she had a complex relationship with her own father. It would be interesting to her take on such a song if she's willing to go there.

Diana hasn't done many covers in her shows since the early 80s. I think the last ones might have been YOU ARE NOT ALONE and ALL I DO IS WIN.