PDA

View Full Version : The Misunderstood Talent of Gladys Knight

test

milven
08-14-2021, 09:44 AM
There is a very nice article in THE NEW YORKER about Gladys and the Pips saying that they have always been more beloved by fans than by music historians, but they are essential to the evolution of soul.

Great read for fans of GK&P

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/the-misunderstood-talent-of-gladys-knight

Motown Eddie
08-14-2021, 10:37 AM
Good article about Gladys Knight & The Pips. Whatever point about the group that was missed by the music historians [and GK&TP have been inducted in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame so enough of the critics were impressed by them] have Not been missed by the fans of their work.

Ollie9
08-14-2021, 11:52 AM
Nice to see Gladys getting some recognition. A voice like hers comes along once in a lifetime.

splanky
08-14-2021, 12:24 PM
Great read, indeed and Motown Eddie's comments are so true....

midnightman
08-14-2021, 06:23 PM
Thanks. I definitely don't think GK&TP's get enough props at all. Them and the Isley Brothers.

motony
08-14-2021, 07:39 PM
One of the greatest LIVE groups ever.

nativeNY63
08-14-2021, 08:19 PM
One of the greatest LIVE groups ever.

I encourage you all to check out the raw power of GK&TP on Mr. Soul. [[early 70s ep) The Pips
steps were mesmerizing! On YouTube.

nativeNY63
08-14-2021, 08:24 PM
Sorry about that. Mr. Soul was a recent doc about Soul! creator/host. And the NY references the ep the performance I watched on YT!

PeaceNHarmony
08-14-2021, 08:25 PM
A wonderful and prestigious article indeed. Mistitled, though. Methinks a better title [and reality) would be The Misunderstood Talent of Gladys Knight. But, I pick the nit. GS&tP are a favorite group of mine, and I have each and every of their sublime Motown lps on absolutely legit :rolleyes: expanded editions, as well as the Funkytown Grooves expanded editions. And I 'hear, hear' Motony as regards the live performances, which provide me with joyous memories.

Ollie9
08-15-2021, 05:51 AM
Thanks. I definitely don't think GK&TP's get enough props at all. Them and the Isley Brothers.

Agree. Two of the most unique voices in music...period.

Motown Eddie
08-17-2021, 10:39 AM
As a side note; Gladys Knight has been featured in two movies this year. Gladys Knight & The Pips' performance at 1969's Harlem Cultural Festival was in the documentary Summer Of Soul [along with an excellent interview segment with Gladys herself that outlines how they were embraced by the crowd on the day that they performed]. She was also in Eddie Murphy's movie Coming 2 America performing a version of "Midnight Train To Georgia" [under the title "Midnight Train To Zamunda"].

splanky
08-17-2021, 02:23 PM
As a side note; Gladys Knight has been featured in two movies this year. Gladys Knight & The Pips' performance at 1969's Harlem Cultural Festival was in the documentary Summer Of Soul [along with an excellent interview segment with Gladys herself that outlines how they were embraced by the crowd on the day that they performed]. She was also in Eddie Murphy's movie Coming 2 America performing a version of "Midnight Train To Georgia" [under the title "Midnight Train To Zamunda"].

Whoa! How the hell did I forget that? That was one funny and very well produced movie...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdJ7DeZERtA

MichaelSherry59
08-24-2021, 10:50 AM
Really? I'm sure if you speak to people who are of a certain age like myself [[I was born in 1959) they could tell you how incredible Gladys Knight is.