PDA

View Full Version : My Last Chance - Marvin Gaye

test

rovereab
08-16-2010, 01:53 PM
Does anyone know where this version of My Last Chance is available please?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMiXidOkWIc

What a great song considering it was a development track for another group!

Thanks.

danman869
08-16-2010, 01:58 PM
Eamonn, you can find that on the Marvin Gaye Playlist Plus 3-CD set. Here's an Amazon UK link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Playlist-Plus-Marvin-Gaye/dp/B0016CP1MS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1281981357&sr=1-1 It sounds like a much different mix than the one on the "Marvin Gaye Collection" boxed set from 1990[[?). [[This set can also be found on Amazon.com US, too!)

rovereab
08-16-2010, 02:01 PM
Thanks Dan - I feel a purchase coming on big time!

rovereab
08-16-2010, 02:15 PM
Just purchased and must say how easy it was from Amazon via their MP3 Downloader straight into iTunes.

It will now be too easy to spend more money :-)

danman869
08-16-2010, 02:27 PM
The Amazon MP3 Downloader IS really easy. I don't use it too often, but when I have I've liked it! And it's always money well spent when it's Motown! ;)

midnightman
08-16-2010, 02:49 PM
Great song. One of Marvin's simple but great compositions. :)

fatmaninthethirdrow
08-16-2010, 02:57 PM
If I recall there was also a cd mini-single type thing with 3 different mixes on. At least I think it was 3, I've only got Mp3's and my ageing grey stuff suggested there were 4 mixes?

You might initially think that DFTMC seems to have ignored this wonderful recording....but don't forget the song is actually called "I love you Secretly"

Am enjoying them right now!

Did the Miracles version ever see the light of day?

fatmaninthethirdrow
08-16-2010, 03:20 PM
Ah Yes - the third mix I have is totally instrumental and totally wonderful...

phil
08-16-2010, 03:33 PM
It sounds like a much different mix than the one on the "Marvin Gaye Collection" boxed set from 1990[[?). [[This set can also be found on Amazon.com US, too!)

You're right Dan, the version on the "Collection" box sounds better to me. You can hear it when the clip is over.

Marvin alone wrote and produced this wonderful song.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_49_oglSjFeM/SdNuDiM6XII/AAAAAAAABbw/oH7L1PUuejI/s320/Marvin-Gaye-.jpg

sunshineonacloudyday
08-16-2010, 04:02 PM
The [[post Smokey) Miracles version of "I Love You Secretly" is completely different from Marvin's version. It was produced by Marvin and one of the places it can be found is on the Deluxe Edition 2CD Let's Get It On. The Miracles' version is absolutely gorgeous!!

"Miracle Bobby Rogers remembers an intense eight-hour session in which Marvin rewrote the song on the spot, and then painstakingly taught each member every syllable as he wanted it sung."---from the liner notes to the DE LGIO

sunshineonacloudyday
08-16-2010, 04:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccYdaziiWQQ
"I Love You Secretly" -The Miracles

From The Miracles Renaissance LP, though the sound on this youtube clip is horrible and doesn't do the song justice.
I hate mp3s!
I can't say enough good things about that Deluxe Edition LGIO--superb sound, and other hidden Marvin gems, like the Willie Hutch produced "Try It You'll Like It" This set is a must-have for fans of Marvin Gaye, IMHO.

midnightman
10-31-2010, 04:20 PM
The [[post Smokey) Miracles version of "I Love You Secretly" is completely different from Marvin's version. It was produced by Marvin and one of the places it can be found is on the Deluxe Edition 2CD Let's Get It On. The Miracles' version is absolutely gorgeous!!

"Miracle Bobby Rogers remembers an intense eight-hour session in which Marvin rewrote the song on the spot, and then painstakingly taught each member every syllable as he wanted it sung."---from the liner notes to the DE LGIO

That just shows how much of a genius Marvin is that he would rewrite the song ON THE SPOT for the group. Amazing.

marv2
10-31-2010, 04:38 PM
The version that Phil references is the one I know and remember. My cousin Donnie LOVED this song like it was Marvin's only recording!

midnightman
10-31-2010, 04:41 PM
I actually remember hearing "My Last Chance" on R&B radio around late 1990 a few times. I think that was one of the first times where my usual admiration for Marvin [[after hearing his songs on oldies radio including "Sexual Healing") went from admiration to love.

midnightman
10-31-2010, 04:42 PM
If you purchase "20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection: The Best of Marvin Gaye, Vol. 2", it's track 10 on that collection before "Got to Give It Up".

alanh
10-31-2010, 04:46 PM
There was discussion on My Last Chance and the different versions some time ago on SDF. George Solomon, who was involved in putting the Marvin Gaye Collection together posted:

George Solomon:
While I was putting together The Marvin Gaye Collection, I found this song on a tape box that was mistakenly labeled, "I Love You Secretly". When I played the tape I found an unfinished song. I believe Marvin only sang that chorus one time. He sang the verses but there were long interludes when he wasn't singing at all. We could have dismissed it but I really liked that chorus. I re-edited the song, popping that chorus in a few more times and deleting all the dead spots. To the best of my recollection I think I just called the song "My Last Chance" because it was pretty obvious. I also thought it had a chance of being a hit single and pushed for a release. Motown agreed but they did a completely different mix that I had nothing to do with adding voices and additional production. I really wish that record would have been bigger but I'm glad people like it. I hope that offers some insight.

When asked how to tell the difference between his Collection version and the single remix, George said: If you can listen to it, you can tell in the first few seconds. If there are any back up vocals at all on the song, it's the single remix.

midnightman
10-31-2010, 04:51 PM
Interesting info thanks. :)

rovereab
10-31-2010, 07:39 PM
Does anybody know where I can find the "Collection mix" version of the song in the UK please? iTunes only has the single release and I have already purchased that version.

Thanks.