PDA

View Full Version : July 21, 1983 Diana Ross's Central Park Concert

test

TNSUN
07-21-2021, 04:40 PM
I went to both concert shows, July 21st and
July 22nd of 1983. Diana Ross, the entertainer, performing for the world, overwhelmingly gave lessons to us all on the essence of show business and entertainment.
Happy Anniversary! Oh my...

sup_fan
07-21-2021, 04:49 PM
nice!! did you stay through the storm? details please :)

PeaceNHarmony
07-21-2021, 08:19 PM
I attended both shows as well, and what a wonderful memory they were! Coincidantally, as I recall the shows were also on a Thursday and Friday, as the dates are this year. I was just thinking of the CP shows earlier today and meaning to look up the actual date[[s). Wonderful, wonderful memories.

TNSUN
07-21-2021, 09:17 PM
After the first show, I worked the midnight shift.Arrived to the park at 8:00 am. Slept on cardboard.Awoke about 3:00pm.Kept my upfront seat. 2nd show was awesome. Friday night weekend crowd was fun and lively. Ms.Ross and the crowd were in-synced.I think for both nights, the crowd count was underestimated. Ms.Ross is not credited enough for her charge of the crowd. There could have been fatalities due to a crowd rampage, yet Ms. Ross kept the crowd safe and secure and gave great counseling to the crowd for safety.

nomis
07-21-2021, 09:50 PM
Ed Ifkovic writes a wonderful piece on attending the first concert in his book "Diana's Dogs"..detailing the frenzy and crime in the crowd.

Ollie9
07-22-2021, 04:08 AM
Ms.Ross is not credited enough for her charge of the crowd. There could have been fatalities due to a crowd rampage, yet Ms. Ross kept the crowd safe and secure and gave great counseling to the crowd for safety.

Diana received praise a plenty for her attempts to calm the crowd in what was a potentially combustible situation. Even today it’s always mentioned in retrospect’s of the concert.