PDA

View Full Version : Mock Cover: Supremes Final Sessions

test

longtimefan
05-07-2011, 09:06 PM
A while back, an SDF member posted an excellent mock CD cover for "The Supremes Final Sessions." I have lost the link and simply cannot find it after much searching. The cover was essentially black with four Supremes singing live wearing the same long, white beaded gown.

I would be so grateful if someone could re-post it or provide the link.

Thank you fellow fans in advance!

Ramone Verona
05-07-2011, 09:47 PM
That could be member "Brad Supremes". He did many of those at one time.

carlo
05-08-2011, 10:13 AM
Brad has made many excellent covers...but I think it was a fan named Nick Strange who created the Final Sessions cover that you're thinking of.

longtimefan
05-09-2011, 01:53 AM
You are correct, Carlo. I am still SEARCHING! No luck yet!

theboyfromxtown
05-09-2011, 04:03 AM
That could be member "Brad Supremes". He did many of those at one time.

I seem to recall that those covers were posted some time ago and long before this new forum was set up. There is a link for the old forum at the top right hand side of this page. That could be a way to see them again.

Young Brad was getting to be an expert at these designs.

Stone Diamond
05-09-2011, 04:49 AM
Talking of making up covers for unissued albums, I've done a few, and this is one of them; but no to sure about the legality so I keep them to myself.2953

RossHolloway
05-09-2011, 09:09 AM
^^ Nice mock up cover of Blinky.

danman869
05-09-2011, 11:57 AM
Great job on that mock cover of a Blinky album, Stone Diamond!

Ramone Verona
05-09-2011, 12:11 PM
Wonderful Cover, Stone Diamond!
I am really looking forward to this new release on Blinky!!

vcq
05-10-2011, 06:22 AM
Are you referring to this one?

Yes, it's by Nick Strange, the original thread is here [[http://faac.us/adf/messages/2/212008.html).

Cheers,

VCQ

Ramone Verona
05-10-2011, 12:38 PM
I thought there were only three of each gown?!

kenneth
05-10-2011, 04:25 PM
Love the Blinky mock up! Kind of reminds me of the "In Full Bloom" Marvelettes cover.

theboyfromxtown
05-10-2011, 05:47 PM
I thought there were only three of each gown?!

You're on form tonight Ramone! LOL Carry on like this and you're be getting requests for a full show!!

longtimefan
05-10-2011, 06:57 PM
VQR,

Thank you so very much. My searching was in vain! I appreciate the time you took to help me.

Stone Diamond
05-10-2011, 08:21 PM
Here's the start of a few Mock-up covers I've done in the past, I've added a disclaimer in case they get into the mainstream, so some bright spark can't use them for boots.2966

Stone Diamond
05-10-2011, 08:24 PM
Tamla 263 - HOLLOWAY, Brenda - Hurtin' & Cryin'

Stone Diamond
05-10-2011, 08:25 PM
Tamla 273 - HOLLOWAY, Brenda - Brenda Holloway

Stone Diamond
05-10-2011, 08:26 PM
Motown 637 - WELLS, Mary - My World Of Dreams

ivyfield
05-12-2011, 11:53 AM
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/SmgEB1BM89Ebc0NoVVbF21f0iRdQWEjDVwHFMtPSfTk?feat=d irectlink

Thought you all might like to see my version. As some of you know, I'm very disappointed Scherrie is not on the cover [[and she is too) and that's why II made my own version. I've heard several excuses as to why there's no line-up on the cover. Fact is, it should have been the last line-up because Cindy features on the cover of the 'Jean Terrell Years' and the final line-up made the final recordings. It's not rocket science, is it!

theboyfromxtown
05-12-2011, 11:56 AM
Ivyfield

Have another go at the picture. It didn't come through.

Ramone Verona
05-12-2011, 01:08 PM
Even Susaye commented on the radio interview that she thought the book cover should have actual photos of some incarnation of the trio. Reminds me of the "Number One's" which featured heads cut off the trio at the nose!

carlo
05-12-2011, 01:22 PM
I like the design they used for the cover. I think that if they had used a photo of MSS, some fans still would have complained because it would mean omitting Cindy. Unless they could have maybe done 4 cut out holes, versus the 3 cut out holes they did for the first Volume. That way all 4 ladies could have been featured individually and separately on the cover, with their own photo. Although I know some would have complained about that too, because it would have maybe given off the appearance that there were four members in the group during that time. To me, this debate concerning the cover is not really important. I care about the music and what's inside.

Ramone Verona
05-12-2011, 01:33 PM
However, Lynda was omitted from the tits cover.
This statement ought to make her eyes pop!
The present cover is ok, it is just that the Supremes are known for their glamour as much as their sound.
Photos sessions are important business.
How we soon forget that dandelions don't make for a proper replacement to beautiful women!

honest man
05-12-2011, 02:46 PM
stone diamond them covers are excellent, especially the mary wells,makes me want to compile my own mary wells cd just to keep it in that sleeve, good stuff, anymore, love them, cheers.

Stone Diamond
05-13-2011, 07:32 AM
stone diamond them covers are excellent, especially the mary wells,makes me want to compile my own mary wells cd just to keep it in that sleeve, good stuff, anymore, love them, cheers.

I have done quite a lot of front and rear covers for unissued Motown albums, but they are for expanding my own collection.
I'm not too sure of the legal side of things, even thou 99% of the pictures I use are also out there on the web.
I'm also a tad worried that some low life may try and use them for bootlegs.
If someone can clear up the legal position, I can start a new thread, and post the covers, so any legal experts out there?

thelastsupreme
05-13-2011, 09:52 AM
this question goes around from time to time, but the truth is: whoever created the pictures is the copyright owner. if we use them, we're using their property. we all do that right clicking thing from time, but unless we have permission from the copyright owner, and/or post their name somewhere as the owner, it is copyright infringement. That is the legal situation.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on how you look at it, the web is a huuuuge town, and without extreme diligence, copyright owner might not find out, so, .......it's up to a person to decide to take the chance or not.

Very cool covers, by the way!

for me, I'd prefer for folks to ask, rather than apologize later, for my own pics and paintings and music. I usually will give permission. Most folks do, unless it's used for making money.
Fun thread.

I love a bit of contro.
Love you guys!

carlo
05-13-2011, 10:16 AM
Keep the covers coming! Loving these designs!

chestersong
05-13-2011, 10:45 AM
i think, i don't know for sure, but i think Susaye just said it's illegal. of course she also said "to ask". but if 10,000 fans a day wanted to right click on a photo, and there's a photo opp every hour, and there's 365 days a year, she might be a bit busy. :)
no wonder why so many personal fan websites get shut down every year. the music and photos used; it's like someone came into your house and took them from you or another owner and just did whatever they wanted to with them.
we are all guilty because the computer made it so easy and innocent. but it is stealing property. no doubt. can't say it wasn't fun while it lasted. someday computers will track just who did or said what from or by whom and instantly perform justice.

bradsupremes
05-13-2011, 11:16 AM
I no longer post mock covers due to the fact that people have spread the covers around the internet and tried to pass them off as the real deal. This doesn't mean that I have stopped making covers all together. I have made dozens since I last posted them on here, but I won't post them as long as people continue use them for their own bootlegs.

carlo
05-13-2011, 11:32 AM
For that matter, posting any copyrighted photo on this forum is illegal, isn't it? Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe this is true. There are so many fan sites and fan pages out there that do this, including quite a few on Facebook. I can understand the point concerning the copyrights. Fair is fair. It's the law. We must respect that. So many of these fans create these tributes and artwork with only the best intentions. I used to do it all the time. I even ran my own Supremes website for over a decade, in the midst of being threatened with legal action over this very same issue. I think it does get out of hand in some cases, as Brad mentioned, since others are trying to pass off his artwork as the real thing by selling it on Ebay. There are others on Ebay who also sell prints of original copyrighted photos, as well as their own fan-made picture sleeves for 45" singles that contain photos that they do not own.

I am in no means chastising those fans who have posted fan art, cover art, etc. on this forum. I personally think it's a wonderful thing and helps to further interest and discussion in the music and the artists themselves. However, I think many of these corporate entities and executives tend to underestimate the importance of the fans and the fact that we do put money in their pockets by supporting their product. They're biting the hand that feeds them.

Stone Diamond
05-14-2011, 06:38 AM
I understand the copyright problem, but ebay is full of album & CD covers, are they breaching copyright laws, and if so why are they allowed to continue; when fan art is hunted down. After all ebay and other record sites are reselling items for profit; fans have no intention of making money, they do it just for the love of the records and artists.

What if I put an updated disclaimer on each one . . .

SPECIMEN
REMAINS THE COPYRIGHT
OF MOTOWN RECORDS
NOT FOR RE-SALE

would that make any difference?

Ramone Verona
05-14-2011, 10:24 AM
I enjoy the covers, Stonediamond.
I don't think I abuse them.
I know I don't sell them.
I think they make me a better fan.
They keep me excited and talkative about the Supremes
Much needed during the long waits between releases.
I agree with one of Flo's statements as they got famous.
"There's No Such Thing As Bad Publicity, Honey"!

theboyfromxtown
05-14-2011, 02:45 PM
Stone Diamond

I hate to see enthusiasm dampened.

Hmmmm...

It would seem that you are in control of who you give the image to but it is others who may pass it on who you have no control over. So how about if you made it clear on the image that it was designed [[by you) and based on material obtained from the world wide web. That might solve the problem of it being passed on, because then it would only be possible to say that it was the design/layout that was original and not the material used.

Is Rob back from his trip......I'll email him to get his ass back here for a proper response.

Stone Diamond
05-15-2011, 07:42 AM
This sort of thing?

redlabs
05-15-2011, 08:42 AM
i enjoy these mock album covers, some are really good. i dont sell mine either and thanks to all who do them.

theboyfromxtown
05-15-2011, 11:30 AM
Stone Diamond

I'm not a legal person but it seems to me that the current wording suggests that all your images belong to Motown Records. That may or may not be the case but that is not of concern to you.

My suggestion might be "Images sourced from the web remain the copyright of their rightful owner". That would seem [[to me) to be clear to any reader that the images are not yours and thus you cannot give authorisation for their reproduction.

But as I say, I am not a legal person and [[jobete)Rob might have different ideas.

At the end of the day, it has to be worth someone taking it to court for wrongful use. There is normally a cost to go to court and that tends to mean that most infringements are not pursued.

BTW, I don't suppose you can tell more about "DRATS - Live at Studio 102 Paris", that sounds very interesting

Stone Diamond
05-15-2011, 11:39 AM
That does sound better, I'll use that.
A friend in France send me a cassette of the concert years ago, and I had to use the Sony Sound Forge to clean it up.
But I'm afraid it stays with me, sorry about that. Here's the track listing thou.
1 BAND INTRO [[0:20)
[[Spoken Word) Public Domain

2 HITS MEDLEY [[3:25)
In The Name Of Love / My World Is Empty Without You / Come See About Me / Baby Love
[[Brian Holland, Lamont Dozier, Eddie Holland) Jobete Music [[BMI)

3 INTEVIEW [[2:03)
[[Spoken Word) Public Domain
Recorded '68/02, Live at the Studio 102, Paris France, No Production details.

4 RODGERS & HART MEDLEY [[3:22)
The Lady Is A Tramp / Let's Get Away From It All
[[Richard Rodgers, Lorenz Hart) Robbins Music [[ASCAP) / [[Matt Dennis, Tom Adair) Leeds Music [[ASCAP)

5 MICHELLE [[2:48)
[[John Lennon, Paul McCartney) Maclen Music Inc. [[BMI)

6 REFLECTIONS [[5:26)

7 THE TWENTIES MEDLEY [[5:12)
Throughly Modern Milly / Mame / Second Hand Rose
[[Sammy Kahn, Jimmy Van Heusen) Northern Music Corp. [[ASACAP) / [[Herman) E. H. Morris Publishing [[BMI) / [[Grant Clarke, James Hanley) Tree Publishing [[BMI)

8 SOMEWHERE [[3:59)
[[Stephen Sondheim, Leonard Bernstein) Chappell Music Ltd

9 REACH OUT I'LL BE THERE [[2:34)

He also gave me Jr. Walkers gig from 1973 in Paris, but again they stay with me.

theboyfromxtown
05-15-2011, 12:07 PM
Stone Diamond

That's a very nice set of tracks to have. "Reach Out I'll Be There" seems to be an unusual inclusion from that era. However, if I recall correctly, the ladies did that on Claude Francois' show [[didn't he record it as "J'Attendrai") and that might explain its inclusion.

Thanks for letting us know of its existence

rod_rick
05-15-2011, 12:21 PM
Stone Diamond

That's a very nice set of tracks to have. "Reach Out I'll Be There" seems to be an unusual inclusion from that era. However, if I recall correctly, the ladies did that on Claude Francois' show [[didn't he record it as "J'Attendrai") and that might explain its inclusion.

Thanks for letting us know of its existence

I think you are right, because the cover says "Live In Studio 102 Paris".

theboyfromxtown
05-15-2011, 01:03 PM
Rod_rick

I wasn't taking any chances with "Paris and Studio" in the same sentence!

There is a famous photograph of the Four Tops standing in front of the BBC "Paris Studios" in London from 1966. So you can imagine that as the years go by, the captions now suggest that the location is in France and not London.

rod_rick
05-15-2011, 07:34 PM
Rod_rick

I wasn't taking any chances with "Paris and Studio" in the same sentence!

There is a famous photograph of the Four Tops standing in front of the BBC "Paris Studios" in London from 1966. So you can imagine that as the years go by, the captions now suggest that the location is in France and not London.

I don't blame you at all for not taking any chances, because you would hung by your bugle beads around here LOL

theboyfromxtown
05-16-2011, 03:09 AM
Sounds intriguing. I've always been a hung fan.

Ramone Verona
05-16-2011, 10:19 AM
!!!!!!!!!!

luke
05-16-2011, 10:25 AM
If people want to discuss the covers it's perfectly ok--geez! Theres absolutely no reeason all 4 ladies couldnt have had their pics on or else MSS on front and MSC on back. It's just more Motown mystery. It would have meant a lot to the ladies too, as well as the fans. To put out a deluxe package like this at a deluxe price, all aspects are impt; Brad-thanks for all your past covers-the best!!