PDA

View Full Version : Jr. Walker’s “These Eyes”

test

Nurnberg77
07-16-2021, 11:49 PM
Who played drums on Jr. Walker’s “These Eyes”? I must know!

splanky
07-17-2021, 09:23 AM
Jr Walker's drummer was a cat named James Graves but I don't know if he played on the
studio recording of These Eyes...He certainly was one hell of a drummer. Jr himself had
so much soul and left us far too soon...

jboy88
07-17-2021, 11:10 AM
Who played drums on Jr. Walker’s “These Eyes”? I must know!
Probably Pistol Allen or Uriel Jones. The All-Stars hardly ever played in the studio with the Funks on the later recordings. Also, James Graves was killed in a car accident two years prior.

Nurnberg77
07-17-2021, 04:03 PM
Probably Pistol Allen or Uriel Jones. The All-Stars hardly ever played in the studio with the Funks on the later recordings. Also, James Graves was killed in a car accident two years prior.

That’s what I was thinking: Uriel or ”Pistol”, going by those pick-ups.

splanky
07-17-2021, 04:50 PM
So that leaves me with the question of who was the drummer that toured and made the rounds on TV with Jr in the 70's.....

Sotosound
07-18-2021, 04:54 AM
So that leaves me with the question of who was the drummer that toured and made the rounds on TV with Jr in the 70's.....
When Junior played the Hammersmith Odeon in 1973 and opened for The Temptations, his son was the drummer.

splanky
07-19-2021, 11:29 AM
Yes, I remember hearing about the young Autry playing for his pops I just don't know
the whole timeline. Wish someone had done an accurate biography on Jr with a thorough
discography. Jr, Maceo Parker and the late King Curtis were my favorite saxophonist outside
of jazz....

bob_olhsson
07-19-2021, 06:24 PM
Most likely both Uriel and ”Pistol!”

Sotosound
07-21-2021, 10:38 AM
Having listened to the single and album mixes, I think that it is both Uriel and Pistol.

Uriel's heavy-hitting style on the snare and toms is there right up front, along with his "Rat-tat-a-tat" pick ups.

I can also hear Pistol doing his normal work on the hi-hat, but it's much further back in the mix than I would have expected, making it slightly indistinct in both mono and stereo. That approach does seem to work for the track, however.

Nurnberg77
07-25-2021, 06:42 PM
And is that Bob Babbit on bass?