PDA

View Full Version : For Joni Mitchell Fans

test

sophisticated_soul
07-11-2021, 03:22 AM
Joni Mitchell - The Reprise Albums [1968-1971) Box Set [4CD)

“Song to a Seagull” [New Mix – Overseen by Joni)
“Clouds” [Remastered)
“Ladies of the Canyon” [Remastered)
“Blue” [Remastered)

Remastering by Bernie Grundman

Part of a major reissue project of Mitchell’s career, including a multi volume chronological study of all her work called the “Joni Mitchell Archives”. This box set is of her first four albums which were on the Reprise label, after which she joined Asylum Records. There are no bonus tracks; those will be found in the archive series.

I was in the 12th grade when I discovered Joni with her second album “Clouds” which a friend of mine owned. But it was her third album, a year later, “Ladies of the Canyon” that made me a fan. To this day I consider “Ladies” a perfect album, it’s heartfelt and every track is a winner. One of my all-time most favorite albums and I have long waited for a remastered version. And I definitely was not disappointed with this remaster. Bernie Grundman did a fantastic job; the sound is excellent, full and clear. It’s the same album I’ve always love but it sounds even better somehow.

The physical construction of the box is also excellent. The slip case is sturdy cardboard. Each CD is housed in a gatefold [with lyrics) version of the original album. Again very sturdy and well made. The attention to detail is very impressive, such as the inner sleeve for “Blue” being blue, like the album. The first two CD covers are printed on slick paper like the original albums, while the second two CD covers are printed on matte paper like the original albums. That’s attention to detail.

Got it for $29.28 at Import CDs [they generally have the best price) vs. Amazon currently at $43.99.

Not to be confused with “Joni Mitchell Archives - Vol. 2: The Reprise Years [1968-1971) [5CD) scheduled for release later this year.

sansradio
07-11-2021, 08:16 AM
I’m gonna hold out for the bonus tracks on the later release, but these look like lovingly done remasters. Thanks for posting.

PeaceNHarmony
07-11-2021, 09:05 AM
Great to hear that the set has been so well done. I was worried it was more of a cash-grab repackaging. Definitely worth looking in to.

splanky
07-11-2021, 02:08 PM
I'm going to have think about this. I never got around to replacing my Joni Mitchell stuff
all of which was on cassette tape except Court and Spark. I actually have more Joni tributes on CD than I do Joni herself...

sophisticated_soul
07-11-2021, 03:43 PM
I’m gonna hold out for the bonus tracks on the later release, but these look like lovingly done remasters. Thanks for posting.

You're welcome sans, indeed lovingly done.

sophisticated_soul
07-11-2021, 03:48 PM
Great to hear that the set has been so well done. I was worried it was more of a cash-grab repackaging. Definitely worth looking in to.

Definitely not cash-grab repackaging, from top to bottom an exceptional release.

sophisticated_soul
07-11-2021, 04:04 PM
I'm going to have think about this. I never got around to replacing my Joni Mitchell stuff
all of which was on cassette tape except Court and Spark. I actually have more Joni tributes on CD than I do Joni herself...

Joni has had a long and successful career but the Reprise period is my favorite. So this set is perfect for me.

I haven't heard any of the Joni tribute project. Do you have a favorite?

splanky
07-11-2021, 04:51 PM
Herbie Hancock's River: The Joni Letters kind of beats most for me but a few years back
I heard Tutu Pouane's Joni Mitchell Project and was sold...Her cover of Both Sides Now
floored me...

https://www.amazon.com/Joni-Mitchell-Project-TUTU-PUOANE/dp/B0743Y8KMM

Corrine Bailey Rae on Herbie's treatment of River is endearing too....

They are both on youtube so you can check them out for yourself. They may not be to your taste. Me being a jazz fan and a listener of a great deal of so-called "world music"
[[Tutu's African) I'm often looking outside of top 40 boxes...

sophisticated_soul
07-11-2021, 06:45 PM
Herbie Hancock's River: The Joni Letters kind of beats most for me but a few years back
I heard Tutu Pouane's Joni Mitchell Project and was sold...Her cover of Both Sides Now
floored me...

https://www.amazon.com/Joni-Mitchell-Project-TUTU-PUOANE/dp/B0743Y8KMM

Corrine Bailey Rae on Herbie's treatment of River is endearing too....

They are both on youtube so you can check them out for yourself. They may not be to your taste. Me being a jazz fan and a listener of a great deal of so-called "world music"
[[Tutu's African) I'm often looking outside of top 40 boxes...

Thanks splanky, I'll check them out.

PeaceNHarmony
07-12-2021, 07:25 AM
I’m gonna hold out for the bonus tracks on the later release, but these look like lovingly done remasters. Thanks for posting.I had not heard about these 'later releases' - what's the deal?

sansradio
07-12-2021, 02:47 PM
I had not heard about these 'later releases' - what's the deal?

Quoting sophisticated_soul: There are no bonus tracks; those will be found in the archive series.

sophisticated_soul
07-12-2021, 05:15 PM
I had not heard about these 'later releases' - what's the deal?

Vol. 2 of the Joni Mitchell Archives covers, chronologically, her recordings during the years she with Reprise records [released and unreleased). Track listing:

https://jonimitchell.com/music/album.cfm?id=42

sansradio
07-12-2021, 07:05 PM
Vol. 2 of the Joni Mitchell Archives covers, chronologically, her recordings during the years she with Reprise records [released and unreleased). Track listing:

https://jonimitchell.com/music/album.cfm?id=42

THIS!!!! Just the tonic since I have all the studio and live albums already. Thanks!

sophisticated_soul
07-12-2021, 07:28 PM
THIS!!!! Just the tonic since I have all the studio and live albums already. Thanks!

You're welcome. It is an impressive project to say the least.

sansradio
07-12-2021, 10:20 PM
You're welcome. It is an impressive project to say the least.

Between this and the upcoming Aretha box, it's gonna be a banner year!