PDA

View Full Version : what song most deserved a Grammy?

test

sup_fan
06-17-2021, 01:33 PM
given Miss Mary Brewster's colorful commentary about Diana Ross shitting a grammy sideways lololol made me think about the songs that were nominated. and of course SO MUCH wonderful content wasn't even nominated.

what songs or albums [[solo or group) should have received a grammy?

I'll start

Supremes Sing Rodgers & Hart
diana 1980
Ain't No Mountain High Enough

reese
06-17-2021, 01:36 PM
Ain't No Mountain High Enough
Lady Sings The Blues
Touch Me in the Morning
The Boss
Endless Love
Missing You
What About Love

Ollie9
06-17-2021, 01:42 PM
“Turn Me Over” remains under appreciated.

Bluebrock
06-17-2021, 01:45 PM

That would be my choice too Ollie along with the rest of Silk Electric and Why do fools!

marybrewster
06-17-2021, 01:55 PM
For Diana solo:

"Upside Down" without a doubt. I also think the album "diana" should have been a strong contender.

For some reason, I also think "Remember Me" is Grammy worthy; maybe not for the win, but definitely for a nomination.

The Supremes/DRATS:

"Love Child" [[single) should have had a nomination. Perhaps the subject matter was just "too much"? "Little Green Apples" won in 1969, LOL.

"Diana Ross and the Supremes Join the Temptations" [[LP). Was this one of the first examples of two extremely popular groups joining forces?

Now the real question: do you think the Grammy's [[etc.) always threw a little bit of shade at Mr. Gordy for his "record keeping practices"? And the Supremes suffered because of it?

One last thing: did the Supremes ever attend the Grammy's? By today's standards, they should have either performed or at the very least, been seated in the front row of the ceremony. Didn't Mary say that the year "STOP" was nominated, they didn't find out until AFTER?

sup_fan
06-17-2021, 02:00 PM

hahaha - Ollie which would you award the statue to? lol

Turn me over
girls
I am me

lol

sup_fan
06-17-2021, 02:02 PM
Now the real question: do you think the Grammy's [[etc.) always threw a little bit of shade at Mr. Gordy for his "record keeping practices"? And the Supremes suffered because of it?

One last thing: did the Supremes ever attend the Grammy's? By today's standards, they should have either performed or at the very least, been seated in the front row of the ceremony. Didn't Mary say that the year "STOP" was nominated, they didn't find out until AFTER?

absolutely. I don't know if it was so much about recordkeeping practices. but more just that Motown was an upstart. a puny little independent that was rocking the boat too much. Plus motown wouldn't let the RIAA in to certify and so that certainly didn't help

and back then i don't know that the ceremonies were that big of a deal. not like today

reese
06-17-2021, 02:07 PM

Not sure why Motown was so neglected at the Grammys during the 60s, but I suspect many winning companies could also be accused of less than ideal record-keeping.

As to whether the Supremes attended a ceremony, the ceremonies in the 60s weren't the star-studded spectacles we see today. I think they would get together at a hotel or ballroom and give out the awards. The awards ceremony wasn't even televised until 1971. Before then, they would do tv specials that paid tribute to the winners.

captainjames
06-17-2021, 04:59 PM
For the Supremes
"You Can't Hurry Love"

For Diana
Call Me I Love You
Ani't No Mountain High Enough

JLoveLamar
06-17-2021, 09:06 PM
I was going to make this thread!

Bluebrock
06-18-2021, 02:59 AM
Supremes - Baby Love, You can't hurry love, You keep me hanging on, Rodgers and Hart, Reflections. Love Child.

Solo - Mountain, Remember Me, LSTB, The Boss, Diana, Missing You.

Ollie9
06-18-2021, 03:19 AM
hahaha - Ollie which would you award the statue to? lol

Turn me over
girls
I am me

lol

Probably “Turn Me Over” as all production credits are attributed to Diana alone. I can’t remember if a co-writer was involved or whether it was penned entirely by herself.
If so, it certainly deserved some form of accolade. Best original song perhaps?.

Bluebrock
06-18-2021, 03:47 AM
Probably “Turn Me Over” as all production credits are attributed to Diana alone. I can’t remember if a co-writer was involved or whether it was penned entirely by herself.
If so, it certainly deserved some form of accolade. Best original song perhaps?.

I am amazed this song has not become a standard, but i guess there is still time!

Ollie9
06-18-2021, 09:00 AM
I am amazed this song has not become a standard, but i guess there is still time!

There were rumours of an expanded version, but i personally have never heard it.
It certainly would have lent itself to a club mix.

Bluebrock
06-18-2021, 09:55 AM
There were rumours of an expanded version, but i personally have never heard it.
It certainly would have lent itself to a club mix.
I was devastated we did not get additional mixes on the Silk Electric expanded edition! Hopefully there is still time.

sup_fan
06-18-2021, 09:59 AM

now let's be honest here. it was just a funny little gimmick for the vinyl. no one really intended this as a "song" but more like today's little hidden tracks or those snippets that were hidden on cds before or after a track. like on the #1s when Diana laughs and jokes after You Keep Me Hangin On

it's fun and unique

Circa 1824
06-18-2021, 11:58 AM

It should be a standard classic in her live act. Stop In The Name of Love leads right into Turn Me Over. Wow!

Ollie9
06-18-2021, 12:31 PM
it's fun and unique

Its more then even that, it’s totally amazing. :cool:

Circa 1824
06-18-2021, 12:42 PM
And to think Ross wrote it herself and is still not in the Hall of Fame as a solo artist?? Outrageous!!

Ollie9
06-18-2021, 01:06 PM
And to think Ross wrote it herself and is still not in the Hall of Fame as a solo artist?? Outrageous!!

Excellent point Circa.

benross
06-18-2021, 06:02 PM
If I recall correctly, Blossom Dearie recorded something quite similar, perhaps word by word similar, on one of the Ben Bagley series records in the '60s or early '70s. So Diana might want to lawyer up, in case she is sued for claiming authorship of this song.

Circa 1824
06-18-2021, 07:28 PM
Excellent point Circa.

Thank you, Ollie

PeaceNHarmony
06-18-2021, 07:33 PM
'Take Me Higher' , without a doubt.

JLoveLamar
06-19-2021, 07:31 AM
'Take Me Higher' , without a doubt.

THIS times a million!!!!! One of the songs I listen to when I want to raise my vibration ����. I was shocked to find it is not well liked here

Bluebrock
06-19-2021, 08:39 AM
THIS times a million!!!!! One of the songs I listen to when I want to raise my vibration ����. I was shocked to find it is not well liked here

It is very well liked by me, and Ms Ross herself always liked the song, but i am not sure if it is Grammy worthy.

TNSUN
06-20-2021, 12:04 AM
"Remember Me" by Ashford and Simpson. Diana Ross by Diana Ross. Has anyone else sung this awesome song?

Bluebrock
06-20-2021, 02:51 AM
"Remember Me" by Ashford and Simpson. Diana Ross by Diana Ross. Has anyone else sung this awesome song?
Other than the original demo by Val Simpson i have nor heard any other versions. It is my all time favourite Ms Ross performance, and i do not harbour any wishes to hear anyone else perform it.

jim aka jtigre99
06-20-2021, 11:38 PM
I think for the 60's grouping that Stop! in the name of Love was Grammy worthy. For the 70's I am surprised that Stoned Love wasn't nominated or River Deep-Mountain High with the 4 Tops, considering Diana got a nomination for [[I Love You) Call Me. I would even say had a disco category been there that I'M Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking was worthy of a nomination. For Diana-of course Ain't No Mountain High Enough, Remember Me and Love Hangover.

johnjeb
06-21-2021, 09:04 PM
Other than the original demo by Val Simpson i have nor heard any other versions. It is my all time favourite Ms Ross performance, and i do not harbour any wishes to hear anyone else perform it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZeBDC9rjqA

Hope you like it!

Their MAGIC album also features a great version of "I'm Ready For Love".

Bluebrock
06-22-2021, 02:08 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZeBDC9rjqA

Hope you like it!

Their MAGIC album also features a great version of "I'm Ready For Love".
Wow! I was blissfully unaware of this version. It's quite nice actually. Very nice in fact. Thank you for posting.

Jaap
06-22-2021, 02:40 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRS-eTP0Icw

In the Netherlands, "Remember Me/Ain't No Mountain High Enough" was the first single of the Boys Town Gang, which became a top 10 hit [[#7 on the Top 40, the Dutch Billboards). This was in 1981, when Diana Ross was at the peak of her popularity in the Netherlands, which undoubtedly contributed to the success of the Boys Town Gang. Their second single, "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" hit #1.

Bluebrock
06-22-2021, 08:04 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRS-eTP0Icw

In the Netherlands, "Remember Me/Ain't No Mountain High Enough" was the first single of the Boys Town Gang, which became a top 10 hit [[#7 on the Top 40, the Dutch Billboards). This was in 1981, when Diana Ross was at the peak of her popularity in the Netherlands, which undoubtedly contributed to the success of the Boys Town Gang. Their second single, "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" hit #1.

I never knew that. I have heard of the Boys Town Gang. I think they may have had a couple of hits in the UK, but i cannot recall what they were. Thank you for letting me know. It seems there are more versions of Remember Me out there than i had imagined.

Levi Stubbs Tears
06-22-2021, 11:16 AM
I have heard of the Boys Town Gang. I think they may have had a couple of hits in the UK, but i cannot recall what they were.

The [[minor) hits for them downunder were a disco version of 'Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You' and a hi-nrg original 'Disco Kicks'.

nomis
06-22-2021, 06:35 PM
The [[minor) hits for them downunder were a disco version of 'Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You' and a hi-nrg original 'Disco Kicks'.
I much prefer Gloria Gaynor's version the dancefloor goes crazy when i dj at a gay club

TomatoTom123
06-23-2021, 08:43 PM

I was glancing through this thread and thought that this was a genuine comment, so I put the song on… and then it played… and then I realised you guys were taking the piss… :p:p:p

Ollie9
06-24-2021, 07:23 AM
I was glancing through this thread and thought that this was a genuine comment, so I put the song on… and then it played… and then I realised you guys were taking the piss… :p:p:p

LOL. I knew there would be somebody Tom. :D

TomatoTom123
06-25-2021, 12:57 AM
LOL. I knew there would be somebody Tom. :D

You got me Ollie! :D:D

JLoveLamar
06-25-2021, 01:59 AM

I'm SCREAMING!!!!!

midnightman
06-28-2021, 01:07 PM
As a Supreme:
Baby Love
I Hear a Symphony
Love Is Here and Now You’re Gone
Love Child

Solo:
Ain’t No Mountain High Enough
Remember Me
Touch Me in the Morning
Theme from Mahogany
Love Hangover
No One Gets the Prize [[she slayed vocally on that track!!!)
Upside Down
It's My Turn

Post-Motown:
Mirror Mirror [[rock)
Missing You
Chain Reaction, if RCA had properly promoted it!

Motown renaissance period:
When You Tell Me That You Love Me
Take Me Higher [[dance)
Every Day is a New Day [[R&B)