PDA

View Full Version : Temptations - Since I Lost My Baby in Digitally Extracted Stereo

test

lockhartgary
06-10-2021, 10:32 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIvs66iY4IE

rovereab
06-11-2021, 10:13 AM
Is there any way to obtain this version please?

lockhartgary
06-11-2021, 10:50 AM
I don't know of an official way to obtain it.

lockhartgary
06-11-2021, 02:32 PM
Rovereab, check you private messages.

TomatoTom123
06-14-2021, 03:37 PM
I'd forgotten how brilliant this song was. :D

Philles/Motown Gary
07-03-2021, 01:00 AM
"Digitally-Extracted Stereo", Gary? This sounds beautiful, as always, but it sounds like the regular Stereo version to me. What is supposed to be different about it?

lockhartgary
07-03-2021, 05:19 PM
"Digitally-Extracted Stereo", Gary? This sounds beautiful, as always, but it sounds like the regular Stereo version to me. What is supposed to be different about it?
Is there a regular stereo version? I thought I read a post a while ago that stated that there isn't a true stereo mix of this song. Maybe I am mistaken???

Philles/Motown Gary
07-03-2021, 05:29 PM
I don't know, Gary. That's news to me. "SInce I Lost My Baby" is from The Tempt's "Temptin' Temptations" album/CD which is in Stereo. The version included above sounds exactly like the Stereo version that I'm used to. If there are any differences, they're apparently subtle.

lockhartgary
07-03-2021, 06:03 PM
I don't know, Gary. That's news to me. "SInce I Lost My Baby" is from The Tempt's "Temptin' Temptations" album/CD which is in Stereo. The version included above sounds exactly like the Stereo version that I'm used to. If there are any differences, they're apparently subtle.

Maybe my 56 year old ears are deceiving me. Before I responded to your original post, I listened to my Temptin' CD, and the mix sounds mono to my ears. Anyhow, see here:

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/since-i-lost-my-baby-temptations-mono-v-stereo-mix.40669/

TomatoTom123
07-03-2021, 09:22 PM
I always thought this track only existed in mono, apart from an alternate stereo mix.

I know I've not heard the original track in stereo before, so that's why this was a nice surprise! :)

Philles/Motown Gary
07-03-2021, 11:07 PM
Maybe my 56 year old ears are deceiving me. Before I responded to your original post, I listened to my Temptin' CD, and the mix sounds mono to my ears. Anyhow, see here:

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/since-i-lost-my-baby-temptations-mono-v-stereo-mix.40669/

Gary, I put on my headphones and dived deep into "Since I Lost My Baby" twice -- first on the Japanese CD pressing of the "Temptin' Temptations" and, I've gotta say, it sounded fantastic! If Harry says it's not a true Stereo mix, I believe him. He knows the Motown mixes better than all of us put together. But, to my 70-year-old ears, it sounded like true Stereo to me. Not once did it make me cringe like other record companies' fake, reprocessed Stereo. It sounds like the real deal to me. I then listened to the Mono version of "Since I Lost My Baby" on Vol. 5 of "The Complete Motown Singles: 1965. Wow! This, too, sounds fantastic under headphones. There was nothing negative about either version. The "WOW" factor was in high gear for the alleged Stereo version as well as the Mono version.

Philles/Motown Gary
07-03-2021, 11:26 PM
The first-time-ever Stereo mix of The Tempts' "Since I Lost My Baby" is available on the 4-CD box set of "The Motown Stereo Box" from 2012. It's located on Disc 3, Track 2.

Here's a photo of the box set with complete track list. Just scroll down through to find it in its entirety.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000A0GPOK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_QDBWA74QEA7Q17G7HACS

Philles/Motown Gary
07-03-2021, 11:56 PM
After listening to the true Stereo version of "Since I Lost My Baby" on "The Motown Stereo Box", I went back and compared it with the version on the Japanese pressing of the "Temptin' Temptations" Stereo CD. I now understand what a reviewer meant when they said it sounds like a "wet" mix as opposed to a dry Mono mix. In other words, if the "Temptin' Temptations" version is indeed Mono, it glistens like a Stereo mix -- unlike the Mono 45 mix on Vol. 5 of "The Complete Motown Singles: 1965."

soulster
07-06-2021, 03:02 PM
Digitally extracted stereo means the mono mix had its elements separated with special software, then remixed just as if it were a multitrack. There is a record company called Eric Records based in San Leandro, California that routinely releases such recordings.

luckyluckyme
07-06-2021, 04:11 PM
Digitally extracted stereo means the mono mix had its elements separated with special software, then remixed just as if it were a multitrack. There is a record company called Eric Records based in San Leandro, California that routinely releases such recordings.

Eric Records does a fantastic job. I am well pleased with the DES stereo oldies they have produced and I have gladly purchased.

robb_k
07-06-2021, 05:21 PM
This sounds like the stereo version of this song that I've always heard. I don't hear anything new at all.

lockhartgary
07-06-2021, 08:51 PM
I don't own the Motown Box and it's no longer on YouTube. I totally forgot it existed so the version I linked to was, I thought, new to me. Sorry for any confusion.

TomatoTom123
07-07-2021, 02:09 PM
After listening to the true Stereo version of "Since I Lost My Baby" on "The Motown Stereo Box", I went back and compared it with the version on the Japanese pressing of the "Temptin' Temptations" Stereo CD. I now understand what a reviewer meant when they said it sounds like a "wet" mix as opposed to a dry Mono mix. In other words, if the "Temptin' Temptations" version is indeed Mono, it glistens like a Stereo mix -- unlike the Mono 45 mix on Vol. 5 of "The Complete Motown Singles: 1965."

Ah thanks Gary! I had assumed the version on The Motown Box was the alternate stereo version, but it is actually the original, in glorious stereo! I have been listening to it non stop. :D

Philles/Motown Gary
07-07-2021, 02:29 PM
Ah thanks Gary! I had assumed the version on The Motown Box was the alternate stereo version, but it is actually the original, in glorious stereo! I have been listening to it non stop. :D

You're very welcome, Tom! Have you noticed how different James Jamerson's electric bass sounds on the true Stereo Motown Box? It kicks butt! "Since I Lost My Baby" has never sounded so fresh and exciting!

lockhartgary
07-07-2021, 03:00 PM
Eric Records does a fantastic job. I am well pleased with the DES stereo oldies they have produced and I have gladly purchased.

Yes, I was very impressed with Eric Records' product. Will be purchasing some of these hopefully in the near future.

TomatoTom123
07-07-2021, 07:13 PM
You're very welcome, Tom! Have you noticed how different James Jamerson's electric bass sounds on the true Stereo Motown Box? It kicks butt! "Since I Lost My Baby" has never sounded so fresh and exciting!

Oh yes, everything in that mix POPS!!!! :)

lockhartgary
07-07-2021, 09:00 PM
Oh yes, everything in that mix POPS!!!! :)

I have got to get that box set!!

TomatoTom123
07-08-2021, 10:08 AM
I have got to get that box set!!

Oh yes gary, it’s great!!! It has new, extended stereo mixes of LOADS of the best Motown tracks [[and if they're not new extended mixes, they're still in stereo, and still pop!). It’s the kind of compilation that you could put on and would please die-hard fans and casual listeners alike!!! :D

paul_nixon
07-09-2021, 01:13 PM
Oh yes gary, it’s great!!! It has new, extended stereo mixes of LOADS of the best Motown tracks [[and if they're not new extended mixes, they're still in stereo, and still pop!). It’s the kind of compilation that you could put on and would please die-hard fans and casual listeners alike!!! :D

Could somebody please explain to me what 'digitally extracted stereo' actually means please - I'm a bit lost

calvin
07-09-2021, 01:35 PM
Could somebody please explain to me what 'digitally extracted stereo' actually means please - I'm a bit lost

Special software is used on a digital mono recording to isolate the sounds of the various instruments and vocals into seperate tracks. A stereo mix is then made from these multi tracks. [Soulster mentioned this above.]

https://www.ericrecords.com/des_explan-htf17.html

Motown4Ever518
07-09-2021, 01:43 PM
Most of us have heard The Tracks of My Tears a lot over the years. However, until you hear the version on this set, you have not really heard it!!!

TomatoTom123
07-10-2021, 09:09 PM

Just to say, the video at the beginning of this thread has the track in ‘digitally extracted’ stereo, not the mix from the Motown Box. :)

TomatoTom123
07-10-2021, 09:10 PM
Most of us have heard The Tracks of My Tears a lot over the years. However, until you hear the version on this set, you have not really heard it!!!

i AGREE M4EVER!!!!!!!