PDA

View Full Version : What "Deluxe Edition" CD's Would You Like To See?

test

jtf1972
05-01-2011, 07:37 AM
The reissues of LP's with bonus tracks keep on coming... So what records that have yet to be given a "Deluxe Edition" treatment would you rush out to buy?

I'm going with the Rufus' Rufusized, Rufus featuring Chaka Khan & Ask Rufus. Three phenomenal LP's... I can only imagine what would be on a deluxe edition...

theboyfromxtown
05-01-2011, 08:38 AM
Four Tops-Reach Out

timmyfunk
05-01-2011, 08:47 AM
I say that Warner/Rhino should do all of the Bootsy albums in the deluxe edition mode. 45 mixes, which in a number of cases are very different from the album mixes, live recordings done at the time of each album, etc.. You could also do CD/DVD reissues.

tomato tom
05-01-2011, 03:52 PM
THE MARVELETTES, Oh and THE MARVELETTES, and possibly also THE MARVELETTES....Paulo xxx

jack020
05-03-2011, 03:11 AM
Anything by Luther, the Temptations and Teena Marie.

paladin
05-03-2011, 07:00 AM
I concur with the Rufus selections add MasterJam.

Dramatics, Manhattans, Whispers, Al Hudson, Alexander Oneal, The Time.

Kamasu_Jr
05-03-2011, 10:00 AM
I concur with the Rufus selections add MasterJam.

Dramatics, Manhattans, Whispers, Al Hudson, Alexander Oneal, The Time.

Too bad, most soul albums are not like classic films which often get deluxe DVD reissues full of extras. Universal/Hip O has done a good job with some of the Motown LPS getting the deluxe treatment. For me, an artist as to be prolific and legendary like Sam Cooke, James Brown. Marvin Gaye or Aretha to warrant a deluxe CD. In other words, they have to have been creative enough to have recorded a song several
different ways to keep me interested.

paladin
05-03-2011, 10:55 AM
Excellent point Kam, but not one I religiously subscibe to, I'd certainly be interested in The Temptations, but I didn't list them because their catolog is already so prolific that I'm about Tempted out. Likewise for Marvin and quite a few others. Now I did mention The Time, because I am absolutely sure that there is plenty of material that haven't been released, live sessions, outakes, alternate versions etc, but we are constantly fed versions of Jungle Love/Cool/777-9311. I know that this band is better than that. Al Hudson/Soul Partners/One Way may as well not exist, Switch, Dynamic Superiors, I could go on and on...thats one of the reasons I didn't say which album, because truthfully I dont know what was supposed to be part of a particular album or not when it comes to the less popular groups....just saying bro !

revup64
05-03-2011, 12:51 PM
Grace Jones, the complete Tom Moulton recordings, with the first three albums, 12" versions, and b-sides.

jack020
05-04-2011, 02:13 AM
Revup64:
There is a good GJ compilation with a lot of the tracks from her first albums:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Grace-Jones-Story/dp/B000CR8REC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304489537&sr=8-1

alanh
05-04-2011, 04:01 AM
I'm still waiting for a Deluxe treatment of Marvin's 'Trouble Man'. I suppose it didn't appear with the others in the already issued series because there isn't any other material from the project left in the archives.

revup64
05-04-2011, 10:02 AM
Revup64:
There is a good GJ compilation with a lot of the tracks from her first albums:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Grace-Jones-Story/dp/B000CR8REC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304489537&sr=8-1

That's the best one out there, but all three albums need to be remastered, and a complete compilation of them would be so much better.

jtf1972
05-04-2011, 12:47 PM
I'm still waiting for a Deluxe treatment of Marvin's 'Trouble Man'. I suppose it didn't appear with the others in the already issued series because there isn't any other material from the project left in the archives.

I've been waiting on this for a while... What I figured would be a good chunk of the material is coming out on the What's Going On 40th Anniversary set. The timing of Christmas in the City and the overall sound of it makes it fit to me as well. I have all the music recorded from the DVD and have been intending to get to editing it properly for my own personal use too, but drool over what a properly mastered CD of the original score would sound like...

skooldem1
05-04-2011, 01:48 PM
"The Boss"- Diana Ross
"Control"- Janet Jackson

rovereab
05-04-2011, 02:01 PM
Deluxe versions of Chic albums would be interesting - assuming there is unreleased material available.

Others I would like to see are:

Stevie Wonder's classic 70s albums. [[I guess no chance given Stevie's attitude to unreleased songs)
Roberta Flack featuring Donny Hathaway

Eamonn

mr soul
05-04-2011, 02:22 PM
The Show Must Go On - Sam Dees
Out Here On My Own & Black Bach - Lamont Dozier

REDHOT
05-04-2011, 10:57 PM
Any thing on SYREETA,I love her voice.
Please stay positive

timmyfunk
05-05-2011, 08:09 AM
Deluxe versions of Chic albums would be interesting - assuming there is unreleased material available.

Others I would like to see are:

Stevie Wonder's classic 70s albums. [[I guess no chance given Stevie's attitude to unreleased songs)
Roberta Flack featuring Donny Hathaway

Eamonn

What is his attitude towards unreleased songs?

JM27
05-05-2011, 01:37 PM
Well apparently any unreleased tracks from when he renogotiated his contract [[in 1970?) can't be released, in addition to the master tapes being destroyed when he passes away. A shame, as I have about 110 minutes or so of outtakes and most of them are stunning, surpassing some of the material which was released at the time.

And you won't see deluxe editions of The Time seeing that most of their albums was just Prince and full of relatively prurient lyrical content not in keeping with his present JW ways. Same goes for the mythical remasters of Prince's catalogue that have been mooted to happen as the rights revert to him.

And you definitely won't see any Roberta Flack/Hathaway expanded reissues. The planned 2CD "Love Love Love" anthology release was cancelled owing to her intervention - I don't know what her issues with the label are. I do have a 9 track promo from the anthology with some unreleased live tracks with her on them, and I know that a few inhouse CD-Rs were run off of the complete anthology as intended. But if it's any help, most of the non-Flack anthology tracks have been released on the "These Songs For You, Live!" set [[although a few of them were heavily edited - the unedited "Superwoman" goes on for nearly 10 minutes) and French "Someday We'll All Be Free" boxset as well as compilations such as "You Better Believe It" and "Atlantic Unearthed: Soul Brothers".

My understanding is that in addition to Niles having been involved in the recent French "Chic Organization" French box set, he's also supervising a Japanese Chic box set with even more unreleased stuff.

And although a bit off topic, re Chaka, I'd love to see a proper release of the "Dare You To Love Me" album. Whilst most of the tracks were released on "Epiphany" and various compilations, the released versions were different to the DYTLM versions [[the original version of "You And I Are One" is 7 minutes long and pips the released remixed version for me). I've often heard that she's tried to buy the rights to the album but Warners keep holding out for too much money.

rovereab
05-06-2011, 06:14 AM
Thanks JM27 - I knew about most aspects you mention in relation to Stevie but I am surprised to read about the destruction of master tapes.

It sounds hopeful about the Japanese Chic box set.

Eamonn

soulster
05-06-2011, 03:00 PM
The reissues of LP's with bonus tracks keep on coming... So what records that have yet to be given a "Deluxe Edition" treatment would you rush out to buy?

I'm going with the Rufus' Rufusized, Rufus featuring Chaka Khan & Ask Rufus. Three phenomenal LP's... I can only imagine what would be on a deluxe edition...

I'd love it too, but I recently got a little industry insider tip that it's not going to happen. I'll leave it at that.

theboyfromxtown
05-06-2011, 03:41 PM
Well apparently any unreleased tracks from when he renogotiated his contract [[in 1970?) can't be released, in addition to the master tapes being destroyed when he passes away. A shame, as I have about 110 minutes or so of outtakes and most of them are stunning, surpassing some of the material which was released at the time.

JM27-is this about Stevie Wonder? If so, that seems at odds with the pre-1970 tracks that have been issued on Cellarful of Motown?

theboyfromxtown
05-06-2011, 03:43 PM
I'd love it too, but I recently got a little industry insider tip that it's not going to happen. I'll leave it at that.

Soulster. There seems to be different rules in different countries and it's often the case that once it starts in one country, others come on board. So try not to give up complete hope.

soulster
05-06-2011, 07:21 PM
Soulster. There seems to be different rules in different countries and it's often the case that once it starts in one country, others come on board. So try not to give up complete hope.

There may be legal reasons behind it. All I can say is that a definitive collection was being prepared a few years ago, but the project stopped cold, and won't continue.

I'll just make my own comp.

JM27
05-06-2011, 07:46 PM

JM27-is this about Stevie Wonder? If so, that seems at odds with the pre-1970 tracks that have been issued on Cellarful of Motown?

Yes, it concerns Stevie. And I understand that Motown can release unreleased Stevie material providing that it predates the 1971 renegotiation [[I looked up the date!) - I'd love a deluxe issue of "Where I'm Coming From" accordingly [[surely his most underrated album). I get the feeling that they still need Stevie's consent though.

theboyfromxtown
05-07-2011, 03:18 AM
JM27

Thank you for the further explanation.

Me and you differ on Stevie's most underated album.....mine is "For Once In My Life"......but that's ok. *smile*

tomato tom
05-07-2011, 12:23 PM
I wont be buying any Stevie stuff. All this Prima Diva attitude. Is This Why no final Complete Motown Singles Volumes. I remember back when Motown released the Anthology Albums on all their major acts, and Mr Wonders had to be withdrawn and released as Looking Back, because Mr Wonder didnt approve. Ended up same album, just re-titled. How much did THAT cost. Pathetic. And, no, I

tomato tom
05-07-2011, 12:29 PM
am not calling to say i love you..Paulo xxx

rovereab
05-07-2011, 01:16 PM
Stevie's attitude take some believing - it's not like he is riding on the crest of a massive sales wave!

Eamonn