PDA

View Full Version : David Ruffin "I Just Want To Celebrate"

test

mysterysinger
05-21-2021, 05:24 PM
This is the shorter version without the audience addtion. I prefer this one to any other and David Ruffin sounds great. First time on YouTube for this version?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXLbP3sPd8M

Luciano
05-21-2021, 08:39 PM
David does a great job and the horn section is awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Boogiedown
05-22-2021, 11:47 AM
This song swallows David Ruffin imo. He sounds small and is reaching. And his annunciation is too variable. And he doesn't sound like he's "celebrating"

sorry!!

I'm thinking Tina Turner should be singing .....

added: do like the back up vocals . Don't sound at all Motown though ... I wonder who ??

PeaceNHarmony
05-22-2021, 07:49 PM
I had never heard any version of this and am loving it - a great find.

jobucats
05-23-2021, 06:48 AM
This song swallows David Ruffin imo. He sounds small and is reaching. And his annunciation is too variable. And he doesn't sound like he's "celebrating"

sorry!!

I'm thinking Tina Turner should be singing .....

added: do like the back up vocals . Don't sound at all Motown though ... I wonder who ??

Although I do like David's voice in this, I agree his vocals are swallowed up in the mix. I have a picture in my mind:
INSTRUMENTSdavidINSTRUMENTS
I am just a novice mixer; and it appears that it should be more of:
instruments d a v i d r u f f i n instruments

mysterysinger
05-23-2021, 07:09 AM
Good comments, thanks. Personally I hear David really clearly and can't agree that he's swallowed up but here's the thing - the more familiar version adds nn audience noise as well and that is very distracting - so maybe I'm just relieved to hear it like this.

The personnel on the album [[produced by Norman Whitfield) are:

David Ruffin - vocals
Dennis Coffey, Eddie Willis, Johnny McGhee, Melvin Ragin - guitar
Henry Davis, Ron Brown - bass
Earl Van Dyke, Mark Davis - keyboards
Aaron Smith, Ed Greene, James Gadson - drums
Eddie "Bongo" Brown, Stephanie Spruill - percussion
Mykal Moore - saxophone
Freddy Dunn, Kenny Copeland - trumpet
Carolyn Willis, Jessie Kirkland, Joe Greene, Julia Waters, Lisa Roberts, Luther Waters, Maxine Waters, Oren Waters - background vocals

Graham Jarvis
05-23-2021, 08:25 AM
Heres the stock copy version of "Still Want To Celebrate" still has the audience, agree far better without out it: The A Side "Take Me Clear From Hear" I have also uploaded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ocm1rXZMC4Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yS8Z8FZDQ0

144man
05-23-2021, 01:40 PM
I was surprised to find that I like David Ruffin's version of "Take Me Clear From Here" better than Edwin Starr's, not that the song itself is particularly strong.

As far as "...Celebrate" is concerned, the song worked so much better with Rare Earth.

lockhartgary
05-23-2021, 04:56 PM
Agree that David gets lost in the mix. I can hear GKATP tearing it up with this arrangement.

Boogiedown
05-23-2021, 05:37 PM
Have to add , after giving this a listen on the car stereo .....wow .... despite what I find lacking from Ruffin ...... Norman Whitfield is on fire here !! He has got it down. Yes, Gladys Knight with this arrangement , and the horn punches , superb.
The back up singers overtake Ruffin , imo , which is maybe why they are held back until the very end ....making me want more of them ....this song could've gone on. Very enjoyable !!