PDA

View Full Version : LA tracks with detroit overdubs

test

jboy88
04-29-2011, 10:09 PM
David Ruffin's take on Dinah has one kick ass bassline! I'm almost positive that it' a classic Jamerson workout! the hing is the track was recorded in LA,with some overduds done in detroit. Before I caught the last part, I thought it could also be Wilton Felder, who played alot of Jamerson-esque riffs on the Jackson 5 hits. But the track sounds like the pre-J5 LA tracks so it might of been Jamerson playing over carol kaye!

Anyone the wiser on track overdubs.

robb_k
04-29-2011, 11:11 PM
I think that method was used on several LA productions [[some Barbara Randolph cuts come to mind.

jboy88
04-30-2011, 04:07 PM
I'm not too familiar with barbara randolph's music. But i 'm ssure it was also the case on the supremes "love is here and now your gone"

daddyacey
05-01-2011, 12:59 AM
jboy88 "[QUOTE] But i 'm sure it was also the case on the supremes "Love Is Here And Now Your Gone".
Funny that you would say that. I got the same impression ,but never knew why ,until you shared your point of view.
I felt that it was a L.A. production ,mainly because most L.A. only sessions have a different "sound". The Motown vibe is still there ,but there is a subtle change in the feel of the music. Then you have the cuts that were cut in both Detroit and dubbed in L.A. ,or vice versa. In "Love Is Here And Now Your Gone", a stunning piece of music that balances a full orchestra and the electric Bass as the tracks foundation , I feel that the Detroit/L.A. scenario applies...........
Cause......the strings for example ,sound like double the musicians on Detroit cuts. Could be that they were cut in Detroit and doubled. They did have 8 tracks at the time and the rules for doubling in the union hadn't been an issue yet. Or they could have been dubbed with additional strings in L.A.
Then there is the bass. It's bass line is a repeatative "in the cut" measure. There are some parts that sound like J.J. ,like the intro and the bridge parts. But the other parts which are steady and repeated are not the same feeling as other basslines structured the same like "Mickeys Monkey" , "My Girl" ,"Girl ,Why You Gonna Make Me Blue" ,that J.J. played on. Mr. Jamerson had a special sound even in the "cut". Like the chart written out by Ms [[stick to the way I wrote it) Simpsons ,"Your Precious Love" ,J.J.'s style is there with his subtle accents but still constant. I could accept that some parts may have been done by Ms Kaye because HDH may have been experimenting and they did have the technology at hand to "expand" the Motown Sound , through Berrys vision.

rovereab
05-01-2011, 06:16 PM
I also wonder if Forever Came Today and Wonderful Baby [[Four Tops Reach Out album which sounds like an L.A. recording from the drums) were overdubbed in Detroit.

mysterysinger
05-10-2011, 05:27 PM
But can we have the titles correct please? It should be "Love Is Here And Now You're Gone". Also, should be "Girl [[Why You Wanna Make Me Blue)".