PDA

View Full Version : The British Press on The Royal Wedding

test

sunshineonacloudyday
04-28-2011, 11:26 PM
I'm curious what the SDF members from Great Britain think about the way the British press is covering the royal wedding?
Doesn't all the fuss seem a bit over the top, even to the Brits?

theboyfromxtown
04-29-2011, 03:19 AM
Not at all. If there was no demand, then it would be ignored. However, that is not the case here.

For those that don't like, it, there are plenty of other things that can be done today. And with an extra days' holiday for most British workers today and Monday, us Brits are making the most of it.

westgrandboulevard
04-29-2011, 03:54 AM
To those of us in the UK, it's amazing, but not totally surprising, at the extent to which US press coverage is embracing the event.

On a great occasion like this, the UK reaches out and shares its Royal family and its population even closer with the US and the rest of the world.

tamla617
04-29-2011, 04:23 AM
its days like these,that shows the united kingdom in all its glory [[for once)i know its not everyones cup of tea.we need good news for once too.
the coverage is a bit over the top,like watching the red carpet being rolled out at westminster cathedral etc.
the world's press corp has turned up with wait for it...... 12,000 staff!an australia network has sent more people than they did to the bejing olympics.
2 billion people are supposed to be tuning in world wide.
enjoy the day and the "pomp and circumstance" this is us,this is what we do and we are the best at it! imo of course!

theboyfromxtown
04-29-2011, 04:24 AM
France has also decided to allocate this week's TV to the wedding festivities.

I can't believe it's all going on just minutes away from me. Living on the 4th floor in the heart of London, I will get one of the best views of the aircraft flying overhead towards the Palace. These displays are a sight to behold and I'm looking forward to it.

It makes me proud to be British.....for a change!

theboyfromxtown
04-29-2011, 08:36 AM
I hope you guys enjoyed the air display. It was wonderful for me. All of the flats in my apartment block had the occupants either watching from their windows or standing on their balconies.

Being in the City of London, those planes fly really low and the sound was incredible as they went over.

westgrandboulevard
04-29-2011, 08:40 AM
'Get Ready' for the Diamond Jubilee next year.......

tamla617
04-29-2011, 09:57 AM
that was a special occasion,and i was proud like the others mentioned.the sight of the household cavalry sweeping down the mall,silver,blue and red and the crowds chearing..............priceless

aaaaaaaaaaaah the sound of 6 merlins,cant beat it!
in 1978 that lancaster came in our hangar after a major refurbishment,i got to get a look around it was like a new build aeroplane right down to new perspex/flexiglass cockpit "greenhouse" and turrets

and i worked and help build that seaking helicopter ZH540 in 1995,tail rotor transmission drive shafts,tail assembly.i cant believe something i did played a part in todays royal wedding,even 16 years later!i'm chuffed to bits!

144man
04-29-2011, 02:46 PM
The coverage seemed to me to be no more intense than normal.

I wish the happy couple all the best in their future life together.

Maybe the Diamond Jubilee and the Olympics will restore some much-needed optimism to the country.

sunshineonacloudyday
04-29-2011, 03:33 PM
Well, I slept right through all the excitement, but I know what you mean about needing "good news for once", tamla617. Everyone is weary from all the dire news...it's just too much.

Fortunately, I can recap the big day here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html

The best part of this site are the writers talent for both hyperbole and critique. You just don't get this level of creative, descriptive writing in U.S. publications. LMAO! They absolutely shredded the poor princesses, Eugenie and Beatrice.

Yes, congratulations to the happy couple and to all of Great Britain for bringing folks together to celebrate. Even my neighbor showed up at my door this morning dressed to the nines, in a broad-brimmed hat with plumes, on her way to a "Royal Luncheon"--in California! LOL

sophisticated_soul
04-29-2011, 05:33 PM
The wedding ceremony started 3am my time [[west coast) but I did stay up to watch it live. I lasted until about 4:30am then crashed off. I’ve been watching recaps of the things I missed. I thought the ceremony was quite beautiful and William and Kate make a lovely couple. I wish them well, and the very best. I admired Princess Diana greatly, and it was quite something to see her son grown and marrying when I remember Diana being pregnant with him like it was yesterday.
So John Lester you have a fourth story flat in the center of London! How cool is that?! Next time British Airways [[or whoever) has one of those unbelievably low air fares to England, you are going to have a house guest! LOL!
I suppose I could look this up, but tell me if I got this right guys; now when William becomes King, Kate will become Queen, correct? If so why isn’t Prince Phillip not called a King?

roger
04-29-2011, 05:34 PM
I'm curious what the SDF members from Great Britain think about the way the British press is covering the royal wedding?
Doesn't all the fuss seem a bit over the top, even to the Brits?

Err .. No ..

I watched the wedding on TV and they seemed to be a very happy, genuine and composed couple.

Best of luck to them, and I enjoyed the festive atmosphere that was around today .. in deepest darkest Ilford this afternoon there was a party bus going around the streets with a steel band on the upper deck, and people walking around waving flags .. I wish there were more days like this.

Roger

144man
04-29-2011, 06:17 PM
...I suppose I could look this up, but tell me if I got this right guys; now when William becomes King, Kate will become Queen, correct? If so why isn't Prince Phillip not called a King?

Although Kate will be called queen, she will actually be the queen consort. The equivalent term for the husband of a female reigning monarch is prince consort.

sophisticated_soul
04-29-2011, 06:23 PM
Although Kate will be called queen, she will actually be the queen consort. The equivalent term for the husband of a female reigning monarch is prince consort.

Okay, I get it. Thanks 144man.:)

theboyfromxtown
04-29-2011, 06:32 PM
Joseph.

I didn't even know that!

Sure...come to my little abode - it needs a good clean so bring a hoover! HAHA

tamla617
04-29-2011, 06:54 PM
what a day,what a day................................erykah badu

copley
04-29-2011, 07:53 PM
I've been watching this several times a day for the past week :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kav0FEhtLug

sophisticated_soul
04-29-2011, 08:28 PM
^^^The first time I saw this I laughed so hard! I thought it was a great parody, just a whole lot of fun. :D:D:D

Roberta75
04-29-2011, 09:54 PM
I've been watching this several times a day for the past week :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kav0FEhtLug

That is one of the cleverest videos I have ever seen. Such good fun and amazing lookalikes.

Thank you copley.

Roberta

theboyfromxtown
04-30-2011, 01:53 AM
Sorry, not my taste.

I got bored and couldn't see the funny side. Different strokes for different folks, I guess

copley
04-30-2011, 11:01 AM
Oh dear, I do so hope that you weren't offended in anyway whatsoever!

144man
05-05-2011, 08:26 AM
In his best man's speech, instead of referring to William as the Duke of Cambridge, Harry was calling him the Dude....:cool: