PDA

View Full Version : Shirelles/Florence Greenberg musical Baby It's You gets poor review

test

smark21
04-28-2011, 09:33 PM
http://theater.nytimes.com/2011/04/28/theater/reviews/baby-its-you-story-of-the-shirelles-review.html?ref=theater

To make things worse, the producers couldn't secure the rights for Will You Love Me Tomorrow.

milven
04-29-2011, 09:33 AM
Most of the reviews were poor. With such bad reviews, it probably will not be around for long. But if you like the music, the music industry, the Shirelles, or the music of the era, you will probably like the show. If you don't watch the show critically to see its flaws, but just watch it for the enjoyment, you will probably like it.

There will probably be a lot of empty seats now that the poor reviews are out. I would not mind seeing it again if there are discount seats.

randy_russi
04-29-2011, 09:55 AM
milven, is the show actually on Broadway? How would you describe it? Also, I am curious as to how they couldn't get
the rights to Will You Love Me Tomorrow? That's surprising!

randy_russi
04-29-2011, 10:20 AM
Looking at photos on the review it looks more like a parody. I don't know why they don't study old film footage of the
girl groups instead of doing the hokey routines that look ridiculous. Usually the lead singer had a mic and all the
backups were around one mic.

milven
04-29-2011, 10:29 AM
It is actually on Broadway. I did not watch it with a critical eye - but just for pure enjoyment. I am also curious that they could not get the rights to TOMORROW. I describe it as better than a jukebox musical since it did have a book, which was about Florence Greenburg. But the way that they used some of the songs to move the story forward were a little forced

randy_russi
04-29-2011, 11:01 AM
When did it open? How long will it probably last if the reviews are bad?

mellow_q
04-29-2011, 02:48 PM
Randy, the "Daily News" gave it a horrible review a few days ago.

Marc Taylor

randy_russi
04-29-2011, 03:50 PM
What a shame! I absolutely love the Shirelles and the whole Scepter Records story. Things like that just don't happen
anymore.

The above review gives the impression Florence Greenberg and Luther Dixon had a romantic relationship; to my knowledge
they did not.

milven
04-29-2011, 04:01 PM
The play opened Wednesday night. I don't know if Florence and Luther had a relationship in real life, but in the play they were lovers and business associates. Their relationship started while Flo was still married.

Critics are not as powerful as they used to be. If the producers have enough money for a commercial campaign, they could keep it open.

roger
04-29-2011, 05:21 PM
Hello all ..

It seems that DIONNE WARWICK[[E) is sueing the producers of this show for "Using her likeness and story without permission".

http://www.singersroom.com/news/7062/Dionne-Warwick-Lawsuit-Against-Broadway-For-Using-Her-Story

I have to say I don't understand her position. I can understand that if she is mis-represented that she could have grounds for complaint but this action of hers seems to be due to that fact that she has been included in the storyline of this production. I would think that if her complaint is upheld it would mean that no-one in the future could ever write any historical drama that includes living historical figures.

What a strange world we live in.

Roger

144man
04-29-2011, 06:37 PM
There must be some very rich lawyers about. The whole concept of suing for every little thing stinks.

reese
04-29-2011, 07:21 PM
I was surprised to see that Beverly Lee of the Shirelles was suing as well. This musical has been in the works for quite a while. I think it might have even ran briefly on the West Coast. I would have assumed that clearances would have been sought a long time ago.

I bought a ticket to see the show over Memorial Day weekend. I hope it will still be running.

reese
04-29-2011, 07:26 PM
What a shame! I absolutely love the Shirelles and the whole Scepter Records story. Things like that just don't happen
anymore.

The above review gives the impression Florence Greenberg and Luther Dixon had a romantic relationship; to my knowledge
they did not.

I recall reading a Tommy Hunt interview where he mentioned that he was reluctant to sign with Scepter because Florence did not like him. He said that Luther told him not to worry because Florence was "his woman", and would do what he told her to.

tom_moulton
04-29-2011, 07:33 PM
Believe me They Did! I used to work there. It was no secret at the Label.

milven
04-29-2011, 08:44 PM
Hello all ..

It seems that DIONNE WARWICK[[E) is suing the producers of this show for "Using her likeness and story without permission".

Nothing negative was said about her in the play. In fact, her name and likeness probably took up only about five minutes of the play. The story is about Sceptor and she was a big part of Sceptor. I can see suing if she was portrayed negatively and wrongly. Its all about the money. Dionne and the others could have sued a few years ago when the play was introduced in Pasadena. Why did they wait until it hit the Great White Way? Waiting for a bigger cash settlement??

smark21
04-29-2011, 09:22 PM
Nothing negative was said about her in the play. In fact, her name and likeness probably took up only about five minutes of the play. The story is about Sceptor and she was a big part of Sceptor. I can see suing if she was portrayed negatively and wrongly. Its all about the money. Dionne and the others could have sued a few years ago when the play was introduced in Pasadena. Why did they wait until it hit the Great White Way? Waiting for a bigger cash settlement??

Dionne loves money and she has over 2 million in back taxes she owes to California so she needs to do everything possible to get out of debt.

luke
04-30-2011, 07:00 PM
I read a review in one NY paper which gave it a mixed review-praised the music and one perfomrer in particular-it was certainly better than Spiderman. The main criticsm seemed to be it lacked a chohesive story line. But some successful musicals have suffered from same issue. If the music and performers shine overall, it may succeed.

blueskies
04-30-2011, 07:18 PM
I wonder if there are any plans to record this? Does a musical have to be a major hit to have it recorded? Don't know the politics of that business. I'm sure the current economy may play into this.

luke
04-30-2011, 10:54 PM
I imagine it will be recorded if it hasnt been. I think the trend has been to record, at least for posterity sake.

gary_james
04-30-2011, 10:57 PM
I think they should revise the script and have Florence become a member of the group.

milven
05-01-2011, 12:19 AM
I wonder if there are any plans to record this? Does a musical have to be a major hit to have it recorded? Don't know the politics of that business. I'm sure the current economy may play into this.

The original cast recording of Baby It’s You! is scheduled to be released on June 14 by Universal Music Group’s Verve label. It was recorded the week of April 18, and was produced by Richard Perry .

The show featured classic hits such as “Dedicated to the One I Love,” “Soldier Boy,” “Duke of Earl,” “He’s So Fine,” “I Say a Little Prayer,” “It’s My Party,” “Louie Louie,” “Mama Said,” “Shout,” “Tonight’s The Night,” “I Met Him on a Sunday,” “Rockin’ Robin” and “Twist and Shout.”

Since it has already been recorded, I doubt that its release will be cancelled.

marv2
05-01-2011, 10:43 AM
Believe me They Did! I used to work there. It was no secret at the Label.

Now this is news! I guess it explains how he showed up on the FRONT cover with the Shirelles on one of their albums now. LOL!

marv2
05-01-2011, 10:51 AM
I just looked at a marquee that they used in this show and they have "Ron Isley" and not "the Isley Brothers" as starring in a mythical concert with the Shirelles. IF they are making huge mistakes this, then I can understand any poor reviews it may get.

tom_moulton
05-01-2011, 04:08 PM
I worked with Shirley on the Tj Lubinsky PBS Show and we were talking about the Scepter days and Florence. She spoke very highly of Her as did I. Florence was an amazing strong Passionate person and being in Music Business world that is dominated by men was truly a feat for her. Believe me When She needed to be strong about something No One had a bigger pair then her. I really admired her for that. I will have to see the show and see how close they come to what she was like and the girls. I wonder if they have someone who plays Alan Freed's wife Inga? She worked there and was part of the team. A lot of happy memories there.

milven
05-01-2011, 05:34 PM
I didn't know that Alan Freed's wife worked for Sceptor. Was she in charge of the payola department? :D:rolleyes:;)

http://www.life.com/static/app/884/55727884/timeline-filmstrip.jpg

I don't think that she was portrayed in the play. I think most people on this board would like the play in spite of the reviews.

Just got an e-mail from a friend in LA who is very critical of shows. He saw the play in Pasadena and said this:

... I liked the play for the same reason you did -- it was about our era and its music and the record industry. But it was awful as a play, and I'm amazed it got to Broadway. There was virtually no story. For example, you might think they'd go into the relationships among the girls, but either there was no drama to write about, or the producers thought the story they had was sufficient. But seeing that music performed live made it a fun evening.

randy_russi
05-02-2011, 08:40 AM
And why is Beverley suing? Didn't they get her permission to use the name "Shirelles"?

Did anyone read Genya Ravan's book, which came out a few years ago? She says Goldie & the Gingerbreads almost signed
with Sceptor or actually did, but the night before they recorded Luther tried to rape her. She told him he'd better get her
out of the contract.

tom_moulton
05-02-2011, 11:41 AM
Hi Milven, We didn't have a payola dept. Inga was Florence's Personal secretary

randy_russi
05-02-2011, 11:51 AM
Hi tom_moulton, Shirley is a very dear friend. When did you work at Sceptor/Wand? Were you there when the Rocky
Fellers were? I know them also. I was always curious why the label didn't really get behind them. They could've
exploded the way the Osmonds and Jackson 5 later did.

blueskies
05-02-2011, 12:27 PM
Hi tom_moulton, Shirley is a very dear friend. When did you work at Sceptor/Wand? Were you there when the Rocky
Fellers were? I know them also. I was always curious why the label didn't really get behind them. They could've
exploded the way the Osmonds and Jackson 5 later did.

Hey Randy,
Could you update us on the Rocky Fellers? What are they up to these days? Any members pass away? Do they still perform?

randy_russi
05-02-2011, 12:50 PM
They don't perform together although I wish they would. Tony Maligmat, the second eldest brother, is deceased. He passed
away a few years ago. He still worked in music. "Jun" or Junior, the eldest, lives in Calif. He takes care of their elderly
mother. Albert and Eddie, the two younger, live in Hawaii. Albert performs regularly as a singer. Eddie was playing bass
for Don Ho before he passed away.

blueskies
05-02-2011, 01:10 PM
They don't perform together although I wish they would. Tony Maligmat, the second eldest brother, is deceased. He passed
away a few years ago. He still worked in music. "Jun" or Junior, the eldest, lives in Calif. He takes care of their elderly
mother. Albert and Eddie, the two younger, live in Hawaii. Albert performs regularly as a singer. Eddie was playing bass
for Don Ho before he passed away.

Thank you for that update, Randy. Who sang lead on "Killer Joe".....a great song, I might add.

randy_russi
05-02-2011, 02:09 PM
Albert did! He was the main lead singer although Eddie also did some. Also, my above post doesn't read well. It was Don
Ho who passed away--Eddie Maligmat was his bass player for quite some time.
They would probably get together for a PBS special, but no one has called back. I left info. for TJ and Henry DeLuca
about having the Rocky Fellers perform.

tom_moulton
05-02-2011, 04:03 PM
Hi Randy, I can mention the group to TJ if you like. I wasn't there when the Rockyfellas were there.

nosey
05-02-2011, 05:34 PM
Mr. Moulton since you have TJ's ear, and if I'm not being too inpertinent, I want the 5 Stairsteps or at least Clarence Burke!

luke
05-02-2011, 06:54 PM
I read an interview awhile ago where Shirley said that they felt betrayed by Florence. They looked on her as a Mother figure and when they turned 21 there was no money. Has she changed her mind? mellowed?

marv2
05-02-2011, 10:36 PM
Can someone tell me when approximately did Scepter/Wand Records fold?

milven
05-03-2011, 01:01 AM
Florence retired around 1976 or 1977. She sold the Sceptor catalogue to a re-issue company. I think by then the company only had a catalogue and no artists, so, in effect, I guess that is when it folded.

randy_russi
05-03-2011, 08:38 AM
Shirley has not changed her view on what happened with their money. According to what she has said, Florence used their
money to try to promote other artists. Those other artists didn't do well. She [[Florence) ended up spending; losing a lot
trying to get hits. The business changed with the British Invasion and other than Dionne Warwick she didn't have any
hit-makers. She tried getting into white artists, but didn't have success there either. BJ Thomas had some hits with
Scepter, but that was about it.
In '63 and '64 I didn't know why she didn't really get behind the Rocky Fellers. The four Filipino brothers and their
father were doing a lot of work via TV, nightclubs. They played Vegas, Miami Beach; many big show rooms.
Dinah Shore really liked them and was responsible for them coming to the U.S. to perform.

randy_russi
05-03-2011, 08:40 AM
By the way, Florence did ask Shirley how she could say all those things about her and Shirley told her "Tell me what I said
that isn't true and I'll take it back". Florence changed the subject.
I think Marc Taylor did an extensive interview with Shirley in his newspaper and alot of this is included.

milven
05-03-2011, 09:31 AM
The Tony Nominations were just released and BABY ITS YOU received only one nomination for Beth Leavel, who portrayed Florence Greenburg.

randy_russi
05-03-2011, 11:59 AM
Here's the opening of a review featured in the Orlando Sentinel...

"As the story of the Shirelles, baby it's who?" by Chris Jones, Trubune Newspapers Critic

Oh, the wretched unfairness of it all. Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons get a thrilling jukebox celebration. Elvis, Johnny
Cash, Carl Perkins, and Jerry Lee Lewis at least had their music treated with respect and artistry. But the Shirelles, one
of the greatest girl groups of all time [[heck, they were even covered by the Beatles), get a show of such total ineptitude
and cynical profiteering that your mouth pretty much dangles open in disbelief for the duration of teh entire tawdry
proceedings.

And on it goes!!!!

rod_rick
05-03-2011, 12:52 PM
Okay I went back threw this thread to find out, Who is Shirley? Is it Shirley Alston Reeves from the Shirelles?

luke
05-03-2011, 01:01 PM
Yes; I know of someone who saw it and said music and performers thrilling--story line bad. They could still fix the show; look at Spidey!!

milven
05-03-2011, 02:02 PM
It was. The critics may be negative because they are comparing it to JERSEY BOYS which was the story of the Four Seasons using their music.

BABY ITS YOU is not the story of the SHIRELLES, although they are a big part of the story. It is the story of a bored NJ housewife, who accidentally gets involved and fascinated with the music business, starts her own label, and signs her daughter's classmates [[the Shirelles) to the label. It is the story of Florence and her Sceptor label.

There was as much conflict within the Shirelles as there was within the Supremes. It would make a good movie or musical. But this musical is not about the Shirelles and that is why their characters were not fleshed out in the book. The story was about Florence.

milven
05-03-2011, 02:06 PM
Yes; I know of someone who saw it and said music and performers thrilling--story line bad. They could still fix the show; look at Spidey!!

Not Really. Spiderman was in previews and never officially opened. Its opening kept being postponed. BABY IT'S YOU had its official opening and usually the show is locked in after it opens. Of course, there are exceptions to everything

smark21
05-03-2011, 08:31 PM
It was. The critics may be negative because they are comparing it to JERSEY BOYS which was the story of the Four Seasons using their music.

BABY ITS YOU is not the story of the SHIRELLES, although they are a big part of the story. It is the story of a bored NJ housewife, who accidentally gets involved and fascinated with the music business, starts her own label, and signs her daughter's classmates [[the Shirelles) to the label. It is the story of Florence and her Sceptor label.

There was as much conflict within the Shirelles as there was within the Supremes. It would make a good movie or musical. But this musical is not about the Shirelles and that is why their characters were not fleshed out in the book. The story was about Florence.

However the posters advertising the show around NYC are claiming the show is about The Shirrelles and the woman who discovered them. A bit misleading when as the NY Times critic pointed out, The Shirelles are essentially background singers in a show that's ostensibly about them. I get the feeling this show will close by the time The Tonys roll around next month,or at best right after the Tonys.

milven
07-17-2011, 01:54 PM
Well , the Tonys have come and gone , and the show is still on Broadway doing well enough to meet its nut. This week, Shirley Alston Reeves will be performing on the stage after the show ends. Evidently, it has her endorsement.

While professional critics may have not liked it, people in the music industry and people who like the music of this era are enjoying it. Seeing Shirley perform after the show is a good reason to see the show again

Original Shirelles Member
Shirley Alston Reeves Visits Baby It's You!
By Krissie Fullerton
16 Jun 2011

The original lead singer of The Shirelles, Shirley Alston Reeves, attended Broadway's Baby It’s You! on June 15 where she made a special announcement during the show's curtain call.

Reeves will join the Broadway musical about the woman who founded the '60s girl group — for post-show concerts for performances July 19-22.

Inspired by the true story of Florence Greenberg, "the woman who in the late 1950s took the male-dominated music industry by storm," Baby It's You! is a new Broadway musical conceived by Floyd Mutrux, directed by Floyd Mutrux and Sheldon Epps, and written by Tony nominated book writers Mutrux and Colin Escott, the team behind Broadway's Million Dollar Quartet.
http://www.playbill.com/images/photo/B/a/Baby225l.jpg

stephanie
07-17-2011, 05:17 PM
Shirley is not stupid! She knows that although the Shirelles are not the central characters she can get interviews, gigs, and younger people will rediscover the Shirelles because of this. If Beverly was smart she would jump on the bandwagon as well no she has to sue! The Shirelles dont own any of their publishing so its really silly to sue unless this play was based on them or if there was some type of character assassination of some sort. Shirley doesnt have to give teh show her blessing she can be a part of it and ride with the tide. Im sure she saw what Dreamgirls did for the Supremes and Mary Wilson.

Dionne suing I dont understand she seems like the type that would do that to anyone if she could get away with it. Some people wish that a play were constructed around them. The Four Seasons dont need Jersey Boys and I dont know Shirleys financial situation she always seems to get work year round she must be easy and compliant as far as promoters are concerned. Bev and her Shirelles do put on a good show I have seen them so if I were her [[unless she was not asked and that is why she is suing) I would go along with the program since the show is about Florence but using the Shirelles to garner interest make the most of it these people are not getting any younger.

stephanie
07-17-2011, 05:26 PM
Here is the official site it looks like Aretha has gone to see it and other stars as well. Good info it is showing Shirley with the cast.

http://babyitsyouonbroadway.com/news.html

theboyfromxtown
07-17-2011, 05:30 PM
What was the reason for 2 groups of Shirelles

stephanie
07-17-2011, 05:35 PM
Here are a few articles it looks like Chuch Jackson is suing as well. Xtown all I know is that Doris Kenner [[who died of breast cancer) had a group of Shirelles and so did Beverly. Bev didnt seem to have a problem with Doris having a group and I had heard they got mad at Shirley when she left the group to have a baby or something like that. I think the story is in one of our old threads if I can find it I will post it. If not I am sure there is someone here who knows the story.

http://news.radaris.com/news/Beverly/Lee

stephanie
07-17-2011, 05:45 PM
Xtown I found this in wikipedia I hope it helps for the reasoning for the two groups.

Doris took a leave of absence from 1979 to 1982 and was replaced by Louise Bethune. Shortly after Doris returned, Micki Harris died of a heart attack during a performance in Atlanta on June 10, 1982. She was replaced by a returning Louise Bethune. By 1986, the group split, and the two originals formed their own groups: Coley fronting one group along with Fanita James and Gloria Jones of The Blossoms and occasionally, Carolyn Willis formerly of The Honey Cone; and Beverly Lee fronting the other [[which featured Eloise Whittiker). Various groups claiming to be the Shirelles had been touring the oldies circuit in the '90s, so one group agreed to tour the West Coast while the other toured the East Coast. This meant that promoters would look for an authentic Shirelle to be featured in the group. They reunited briefly for a program honoring them at the high school they attended in Passaic, New Jersey and sang background on Dionne Warwick's 1983 recording of "Will You Love Me Tomorrow?", found on her "How Many Times Can We Say Goodbye?" album. They had previously sung background for her on the song "Get Rid of Him", an answer to their own "Foolish Little Girl", on Warwick's 'Make Way For Dionne Warwick' album.

theboyfromxtown
07-17-2011, 07:03 PM
Thanks Steph

It's a little unusual to have 2 groups but if it works in practice, good luck to them all.

Ramone Verona
07-17-2011, 07:34 PM
Thank The Goodness that there has never been another group of Supremes since 1977!!
WHEW!!
:)

stephanie
07-17-2011, 07:36 PM
Xtown I read [[I did a search on our forum and found it) that Bev and Doris got along so they had no problem with the east coast and west coast thing to stop fake shirelles from performing. What I forgot is that when Shirley left to go solo she asked the other shirelles to get back together with her and she said they didnt want her back! I dont know what happened but it seems like all of the Shirelles remained friends except for Bev and Shirley I dont know why.

randy_russi
07-19-2011, 09:07 AM
When Shirley left the group they continued as The Shirelles--Beverly, Doris, & Micki.
Micki passed in '82 and they replaced her and continued. Eventually Doris and Bev
split into two groups. Apparently they could individually make more money rather
than working together splitting evenly while paying the third girl.
Bev actually has the trademark on the name and Shirley can only bill herself as
"formerly of the Shirelles" or as "former lead singer of" or as "original lead singer
of".
Other groups have split into two groups because the original member can make
more. When a replacement member comes in to a group they don't come
making the same as a long-standing original member.

tom_moulton
07-19-2011, 09:27 AM
Its usually MONEY!

jobeterob
07-19-2011, 12:04 PM
http://www.wpix.com/news/morningnews/wpix-shirley-alston-reeves,0,6874969.story

Music Theater
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum
By KEVIN CLYNE

PIX11.com

July 13, 2011
Shirley Alston Reeves stopped by the morning show to talk about her upcoming appearance in "Baby It's You", a jukebox musical about pioneer girl group the Shirelles.

Reeves, the original lead singer of the Shirelles and a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, will join the cast of "Baby it's You" for five post-show concerts, July 19-22, at the Broadhurst theater. Portrayed by Christina Sajous in the musical, Reeves sang lead on many of the Shirelles greatest hits, including "Mama Said", "Tonight's the Night, and the musical's namesake "Baby It's You".

Tickets can be purchased at the box office or online at the musical's website: http://babyitsyouonbroadway.com.
Copyright © 2011, WPIX-TV
wpix-shirley-alston-reeves Share13Comments 0

randy_russi
07-25-2011, 09:22 AM
Did anyone here on SDF go see Shirley perform with the cast of Baby It's You?

milven
08-04-2011, 11:11 AM
I wanted to see the show again while she was appearing there, but was not able to.

The show will be closing on September 4th. But before it closes, the cast is going accross the Hudson River to Passaic NJ to do a mini-version of the show on the very stage that the original Shirelles made their debut over fifty years ago.

'Shirelles' will once again sing at Passaic High
Friday, July 29, 2011 Last updated: Friday July 29, 2011, 1:11 AM
BY TOM SULLIVAN
http://media.northjersey.com/images/FlorenceTheShirelles__072911_cj_tif_.jpg
After the passage of 53 years the Shirelles will be performing again next week in the auditorium of Passaic High School where their career began.

The Cast of 'Baby it's You' based on the Shirelles, will hold a concert at Passaic High School on Sunday. Tickets are $20 each. The Shirelles was comprised of Passaic High School students managed by Passaic resident Florence Greenberg. Classics such as 'Dedicated to the one I love,' 'He's so fine,' 'Soldier Boy,' 'I say a little prayer,' 'I met him on a Monday,' 'Louie Louie.' and many doo wop, pop and rock hits will be performed. The cast of "Baby it's You," the Broadway musical that tells the story of Florence Greenberg and the four girls she plucked from the student body of PHS and shaped in to the world's first chart topping female rock group, is bringing its collection of golden oldies to the newly refurbished auditorium on Sunday, Aug. 7 for a concert beginning at 7:30 p.m.

Tickets will cost $20 at the door, and all proceeds will go to a scholarship fund to help a deserving PHS student seeking a career in the performing arts.

Such a field trip is a rare occurrence for a major Broadway musical, but after the matinee at the Broadhurst Theater on West 44th Street the cast will board a bus and head for Paulison and Passaic avenues, where the street sign reads Shirelles Boulevard. The program will be rounded out with musical selections from members of the high school band. Beth Leavel of Harrington Park who plays Florence Greenberg will be there, accompanied by Crystal Starr Knighton of Hackensack and Kyra Da Costa of Jersey City, who along with Erica Ash and Christina Sajous bring the Shirelles to life with such classics as "Dedicated to the one I love," "He's so fine," "Soldier Boy," "I say a little prayer," "I met him on a Monday," "Louie Louie." and many doo wop, pop and rock hits.

When the show opened April 27 the critics were unanimous that the girls had nailed the distinctive harmonies and the catchy melodies that allowed the Shirelles to become the first all-girl group to top the charts and go on to global stardom.

In 1958 Greenberg decided to start her own record company even though, in her own words she was a "...white woman in a black business - and one who can't carry a tune."

Her daughter, Mary Jane, a senior at PHS, insisted she attend a talent show at the school and listen to her four classmates.

She did, liked them, signed them and built Scepter Records around them. Earlier this month Shirley Alston Reeves, one of the original four girls, took the stage at the Broadhurst after the show for four nights and did some of the original songs in her original style.

Some 12 cast members will participate in the PHS show, including Allan Louis, Geno Henderson, Barry Pearl and Brandon Uranowitz.

theboyfromxtown
08-04-2011, 03:57 PM
...Classics such as 'Dedicated to the one I love,' 'He's so fine,' 'Soldier Boy,' 'I say a little prayer,' 'I met him on a Monday,' 'Louie Louie.' and many doo wop, pop and rock hits will be performed..

Monday? I thought it was a Sunday

Were the Shirelles about at the time of "I Say A Little Prayer"?

milven
08-04-2011, 08:58 PM
You are right. I Met Him On A Sunday is the title. The Shirelles had already peaked when I Say A Little Prayer came out. In the show, the plot shows that Dionne Warwick was the next hot artist on the label. The Shirelles were sliding down and were about to be cast off by Sceptor and Dionne Warwick was on her way to stardom

drlorne
08-04-2011, 09:27 PM
I just booked my tickets for Sept. 1. Bought the soundtrack and was blown away by it, was surprised it was closing, so I just did it. This is my music, and a Chapter in Stephen Covey book: "No one ever died wishing they had spent more time at the office", helped realize to do things while I can even though I might stretch myself financially.

If you can't attend the play at least buy the soundtrack, it really is very wonderful.

Lorne

milven
08-04-2011, 10:33 PM
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. If this is your music, then you will enjoy it.
And there are discounted tickets available

TO GET YOUR DISCOUNTED TICKETS:
ONLINE: visit BroadwayOffers.com and use code BBPB623
BY PHONE: Call 212-947-8844 and mention code BBPB623
Performance Schedule:
TGIF! FRIDAY MATINEES AT 2PM
Tues at 7pm, Thurs–Sat at 8pm;
Wed, Fri & Sat at 2pm, Sun at 3pm

drlorne
08-05-2011, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the phone numbers. That would be great to be able to see it twice! Not sure my partner will be willing, but he can do something else, I'm sure.

L

kenneth
08-06-2011, 09:59 AM
Since the success of the "Jersey Boys," the "jukebox musicals" have tried to beef up with actual story lines, not just staged presentations of the hit songs. With Greenberg, you would think there would be plenty to write about. She was, after all, an innovator, a woman in a male-dominated industry. She didn't seem to crave publicity. I mean, I knew very little about her even at the time that Sceptre folded. I remember reading an interview when she was quite elderly, and she referred to B.J. Thomas as a "handsome guy" who had "only one hit!" I think her memory was a little foggy by then; even the writer [[I think it was in Goldmine magazine) tried pointing out to her that Thomas was her most successful solo artist other than Warwick.

Speaking of Warwick, how sad that she has to sue these people. That woman has become rather mean spirited. After hearing this and seeing her bad behavior on "Celebrity Apprentice," I want to avoid her in print and other current media and just listen to her oldies!

Finally, I imagine the reason the prop poster in the show refers to "Ron Isley" instead of the "Isley Brothers" is not a mistake. Likely, they did not have permission to use the "Isley Brothers" name as it's still an active [[somewhat) trademark. The Isleys were pretty forward thinking about their own intellectual property. I think even back in the 80s, they had already trademarked their name as non-relative members came and went, though at one time they changed their name to "Isley Jasper Isley" as I recall.