PDA

View Full Version : Valerie Simpson Interview On Early Beginnings, Motown, Nick Ashford, and Career Highl

test

mysterysinger
04-20-2021, 06:01 AM
The ultra talented Valerie Simpson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLvHmBgabbE

PeaceNHarmony
04-20-2021, 06:51 AM
Thanks so much for this. I am such a ValFan. As we have discussed here I was introduced to Nick & Val on the PBS program Soul!, bought the 'Exposed' lp at Korvette's on 34th & 6th in NYC and have been a fan ever since. I attended a Jennifer Holiday show at Nick & Val's 20 20 club and had brief exchanges with both Nick & Val while there. Lovely people and just such talented performers and songwriters.

PeaceNHarmony
04-20-2021, 10:11 AM
... and, I had not reqlized Dusty was in the running for ANMHE.

mysterysinger
04-20-2021, 07:22 PM
You're welcome Peace. Val comes across really well in the video.

PeaceNHarmony
04-21-2021, 08:24 AM
You're welcome Peace. Val comes across really well in the video.Yes, she sure does - and she always does. A&S always radiated intelligence, creativity and decency and Valerie still does. Wouldn't you love a bio from the lady?

jobeterob
04-21-2021, 04:14 PM
I thought it was interesting that she says she makes more money from Reach Out and Touch now than she did when it was released - because it's become an anthem and is timeless etc.

PeaceNHarmony
04-21-2021, 04:53 PM
I thought it was interesting that she says she makes more money from Reach Out and Touch now than she did when it was released - because it's become an anthem and is timeless etc.And I would guess also that BG hasn't got a cut of it any longer!

StuBass1
04-21-2021, 05:23 PM
I recall Joe Messina who worked with them ALL at Motown once mentioned to me that Valerie Simpson was perhaps his personal favorite...

Philles/Motown Gary
04-23-2021, 07:59 AM
Wow! I don't recall ever hearing Valerie Simpson speak before. What a sweetheart! In addition to her [[and Nick's) musical contributions to Motown, it's plain to see why she was so well liked in general. She would definitely have been one of my favorite people, too.