PDA

View Full Version : Soul Reunion This Saturday In Chicago-April 23, 2011 Pt 2 [[photo's included)

test

paladin
04-25-2011, 08:39 PM
Well my friends, my hats off to SDF's own GT and the staff DJ's [[ King George & PJ Willis) of WHPK for giving a rousing event at Peabody's Records this past Saturday. The event in and of itself is hard to describe, DJ's from the station WHPK spinning records, People from the hood eating and imbibing in the spirits, vinyl lovers like me feasting on all the old vinyl cuts I could lay my hands on and the owners Mike Cole and Mark Grusane opening their doors to one big block party. The weather was great and a pre Easter feast was served at no charge. Old friends and music lovers were the audience. There were some impromptu performances by local artists as well. It started at 1:00 O'Clock and ended at about 9:00 pm. It was a day well spent in the old neighborhood. Well done Gary, well done.:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

http://mrpeabodyrecords.com/vinyl-records/

paladin
04-25-2011, 08:45 PM
First vinyl I laid my hands on.......

paladin
04-25-2011, 09:07 PM
Now for some meat and potatoes.......somebody found this after about an hour of searching

I wonder whose nails are those....lol....

paladin
04-25-2011, 09:11 PM
DJ RobJazznosis...................

paladin
04-25-2011, 09:19 PM
Dyvanaye, Catwoman and The Diva's niece.....What was all this Stop In The Name of Photo Shoot Shhhhh.....??????

Red and her friend looking up those dusty treasures.......

GT and Kenny Rideout of Center Stage Fame [[ Someday Someway) a record that sounded so much like the Tempations it fooled them.......

Da Bulls on TV..........

paladin
04-25-2011, 09:23 PM
The great Eddie Thomas [[former manager of the Impressions) and his beautiful wife. This cat is a walking, talking, national music institution, in and of himself and one of the nicest music industry people I ever met. Thanks for your kind words Eddie, I really appreciated them. I will always be in your corner my friend.

paladin
04-25-2011, 09:30 PM
King George and other patrons shopping and doing things.....

Look closely theres Mark, King George and somebody stuffing they face !

Here is some mo folks eating......lets see Linda, Catwoman, Big Tony and Dyvanaye......

paladin
04-25-2011, 09:36 PM
Uh Oh, Me The Dyva and Uncle Remus......

Red and Alphonse The Miracle ! I never did get to ask him about that FBI jacket.....

A local couple out for the afternoon with their signed copy of Ruby Andrews "You Made a Believer out of me" !

paladin
04-25-2011, 09:42 PM
WHPK in da House !

Dyva, Mark & Mike.....

Rob, GT, and Darling Linda......yes babe it was the glasses.....

paladin
04-25-2011, 09:48 PM
GT and Big Tony who will bust you up over Earth Wind & Fire and The White Sox....

Jai, eat your heart heart out, The Great Ruby Andrews.....naw dude don't worry about it....

Finally got pic's of two of the Artistics [[L-R) Marvin Smith and Ric Evans, many of you will remember Marvin as the voice behind their mega hit..."I'm Gonna Miss You".......

paladin
04-25-2011, 10:03 PM
This young lady her name as I recall is "Reva" who gave a impromptu performance of her new single "Let's Do The Dam Thing" yes, thats exactly what she means.....she had the joint jumping, she can sing her azz off...no lie.....

Ruby, Eddie, PJ Willis

Dyva & Ric......

Eddie & Mark & Linda sharing love....beleive it or not all this was going on and we were watching the Da Bulls game too !

paladin
04-25-2011, 10:16 PM
Well folks thats it for tonight. I missed getting a photo of Bobby Hutton, but those are the breaks. But I will say this, everyone who made it there had a great time. In fact this thang could very easily become a habit. I found about eight jazz albums and got some great deals, I really don't consider these folks friends anymore, no they are more like family right down to the little or big brother you just cant stand, your grouchy azz old uncle or that stuck up cousin. Real talk about real folks. Thanks again Gary, you really did a hell of a job. Oh yeah one other thing, folks kept asking me if I was the official photographer, imagine their surprise and the howls of laughter I got when I told then "Hell no, I am the unofficial hood photographer that wouldn't know a watermark from a pack of rolling papers...........now GT about that back room, we really gotta stay out of there and yes, If Jai ever comes to the Windy City, I'm sure thats where they'll find his body.........still haven't heard from the official photographer........somebody better call Tyrone ! PS: it may not have looked like it but this place was pretty crowded, after about the third hour Mark looked at me and said dam man I think I better turn on the air conditioner...yep...yep....!!!

Yeah the Sox & Bull's fans were in da house, almost forgot after the game Mark put in the Soul Train DVD's and we jammed silently and played guess the group, to The Stylistics, Bobby Womack and The Spinners.......among others....LOL.....gotta tell RTJr, that back in the day he was black as hell......

GeeTee(HPK)
04-25-2011, 10:54 PM
As you can see,the photos speak for themselves. :cool: [[Great job Paladin !)

I'm not going to rub this in anyone's face on how much of a great time we had this Saturday,but I have talked about it enough times on the forum.

The weather was perfect,we had a great turn out,the Bulls/Pacers game was on,and the food was fantastic ! All in all,it was a great day ! :D

First and foremost, I'm not going to take all the credit,for putting this event together. The Soul Reunion event could not have happened with the help of the following people, Mark and Mike of Peabody Records, Ms. Ruby Andrews_Lester,the Thursday Night Dusties Party DJs [[Andy,King George,and PJ) and WHPK FM.

As I've stated before,any and everyone is welcome to come. We're just want to have a good time,and want to share it with anyone that's a "true" music lover. :)

I was so happy that my dear friend Mr. Eddie Thomas and his wife Verl,were able to make it. Eddie is a true Chicago legend,and a very humble man. [[thanks so much) :)

A few surprises that I wasn't expecting to drop by,were Bobby Hutton and Marvin Smith. [[formerly of the Artistics)

It was great meeting Keni Rightout from the group Center Stage. We've chat quite a bit on Facebook,that I'm happy that we finally met face to face.

To show true dedication, our friend Dyvanaye came back again, all the way from New York, just to hang out and have a good time ! [[and she brought her niece,to accompany her this time)

If I forgot anyone, please forgive me.

Our next event will be in August. [[not sure of the exact date,but when I find out, I'll post it)

Thanks for those that were able to make it,and looking forward to our next event ! :D

marv2
04-26-2011, 12:25 AM
Now for some meat and potatoes.......somebody found this after about an hour of searching

I wonder whose nails are those....lol....

OMG! Has he seen this yet? LOL! Spyder my man, what was up with this cover? LOL!!!!

marv2
04-26-2011, 12:30 AM
It looks you all had a ball! The pics are super great [[what type of camera are you using?). This looks like the perfect way to spend an enjoyable Saturday afternoon, good music, people and food! Any dancing? Now if we had it here in New York, there would have to be dancing all over the place! LOL! I wished I could have been there with y'all.

Marv

paladin
04-26-2011, 06:42 AM
Now if we had it here in New York, there would have to be dancing all over the place! LOL!

Good observation Marv, there were plenty of people dancing because the DJ's were slamming. I got a couple of shots but the area had bright sunlight refracted through the windows which made the pictures impossible from the angle I had to shoot, in fact you would have thought that one couple in particular came to watch the game and dance because they danced dam near the entire time they were there, Cool Jerk anyone.........??? Now there was a certain Lady from New York......who got all twisted when they slammed "My Baby Likes To Boo-ga-loo by Don Gardner" and she and a local Consigliere had to throw down, sorry the pictures have been deemed critical to the security of the Chicago Family and will never be shown....

PS: that record was way ahead of it's time........

marv2
04-26-2011, 09:36 AM
Dyva, were you showin out in Chicago? This sounds just too good. The "Cool Jerk"? I thought we only did that in Detroit! LOL! The pictures are pretty awesome. Thanks man!

GeeTee(HPK)
04-26-2011, 02:02 PM
Maybe you can make it to our next event,Marv. :)

marv2
04-26-2011, 04:22 PM
Maybe you can make it to our next event,Marv. :)

I would love to!!!!

GeeTee(HPK)
04-26-2011, 09:13 PM
Cool ! You will have a great time,trust me ! :)

solemannking
04-26-2011, 09:22 PM
I Truly Truly Enjoyed These Pics, I Could Tell A Great Time Was Had By All, Ummmmmm Dyva, I See You Striking That Supremes Pose, Hmmmmmm, That's Giving Me A Idea....ROFLMBO

GeeTee(HPK)
04-26-2011, 09:45 PM
Oh,oh don't do it ! LOL :p

chidrummer
04-27-2011, 06:29 PM
Looks like a splendid time was had by all. I'm so sorry I couldn't make it down there. But, I know there will be a part 3 in there somewhere. Keep hope alive!

ralpht
04-27-2011, 08:48 PM
Wish I could attend one of these get-togethers. The Chicago Mob are near and dear to my heart. Another time guys, another time.

paladin
04-28-2011, 09:38 AM
Look what I found....oh yes a true smoker ! starts off simple enough but around 1:17 or so they jack it up from the Westside of Chicago, enjoy folks, sorry about the slight distortion :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fPibiuPW0w&feature=related

GeeTee(HPK)
04-28-2011, 12:12 PM
Ralph, maybe you can make it to our next event this summer. We do this quarterly,and when the weather permits. [[even those it's indoors)

Paladin, great find,and thanks for locating that for me last year. :D :cool:

ralpht
04-28-2011, 01:35 PM
Sounds good, Gary. I'll see if I can work that out.

paladin
04-28-2011, 08:00 PM
Its all good my friend, truth be told GT, I'd rather go to Cali...lol........

GeeTee(HPK)
04-28-2011, 08:26 PM
Yeah, it's been a minute since I've been to Cali. :)

ralpht
04-28-2011, 08:26 PM
I'll second all of that............

paladin
04-28-2011, 10:44 PM
you would !:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

ralpht
04-28-2011, 11:08 PM
I'll take you guys to a killer barbeque joint.

ladyvanaye
04-29-2011, 11:08 AM
CALI IT IS! :) Just make sure that BBQ joint BBQ's fish and chicken Gawd Fedder....

Well I had a ball...been meaning to respond to this thread...Chicago is my 'long drive get away spot'...so Detroit is on the list next. :)

Solemann...it would not be nice if you altered any pics with me in it...your well being may be at jeopardy. I know where you live Bruh...lol...

Thanks to Gary and all for showing us a great time. The food was good. I jsut came off of a fast so I had to eat really slow, and could not finish it all. LOL. But the potato salad...!!!! And I dont like everyone's potato salad...[[You hear that 1WIcked?)

As usual , spent Money on Vinyl...Gary promotes this, so when you go to chi-town stay AWAY form Gary...

Good times, good folk, good food...all went well...really smooth this time, I must say certain constituents were well behaved all the way to the end this time...and then 'the end' happened. LOL. They DID THE DAMN THING. ' Wetty Bright'. :p

Got my guys mixed up. The tall guy who was dancing I keep referring to is the cat with the Kangol and dark shades...I thought he was Marvin Smith of The Artistics...my bad....who was that dude...he knew every Jackie Wilson step to 'Baby Workout!'.

PS - KDUB - I want to see those ' Boogaloo ' pics...and thank you for the discreet manner in which you choose to protect my identity...lol...Solemann can learn something from you. LOL

TTYAL!

ralpht
04-29-2011, 12:06 PM
the BBQ joint does chicken, Dyva, but I don't think it offers fish on the menu. Besides, why would I go to a BBQ joint and order fish? Does that break any deals for a visit from you guys? If it is fish you crave, I can always take you out to Fisherman's Wharf where every restaurant specializes in the finned, scaley critters.

ladyvanaye
04-29-2011, 03:47 PM
You can tell about you corny Californians....SOUTHERN FOLK AND WEST INDIANS KNOW DIGGITY DOG ON WELL THAT AT A BBQ - FISH SHRIMP AND OTHER HARD SHELL CRUSTACEANS CAN GO ON THE GRILL!!!! Love ya GAWD FEDDER... but you got to come east a little more...lol....

ladyvanaye
04-29-2011, 03:48 PM
But no, it doesnt break a deal...set something up!!! I need to get out there, BUT I WONT BE DRIVING THERE! ANYTHING OVER A DAYS DRIVING, HECK NAW! LOL!

ralpht
04-29-2011, 06:15 PM
I thought I responded to this...I'm from Detroit, Dyva. We BBQ ribs and chicken.

I understand we have an airport here. That could work for you.

I think the Chicago Mob is just crazy enough to consider a trip out here. That would be a blast.
If not soon, sometime in the future, maybe.

catwoman55
05-14-2011, 05:07 PM
...And, a great time was had by all :) I definitely had a ball at the Soul Reunion! As always, it was marvelous, getting together with the "Chicago Mafia" again, face-to-face, but I also enjoyed meeting and greeting new people, this time around, who were not at the last event and/or those who I didn't get to speak to, last time. Of course, I was happy to see Dyva again, and meet her niece :) And, we were able to hang out for a while and do a quick sight-seeing trip that Sunday, before they left. Just a wonderful weekend!

Thanks to G. and the rest of the HPK Dusties DJ's, and the owners of Mr. Peabody's for putting on such a lovely event, and thanks to Paladin for posting the photos of the proceedings. Looking forward to the next Soul Reunion...Hope to see some more of y'all there :)

Cat