PDA

View Full Version : Record release dates

test

tomato tom
04-22-2011, 04:05 PM
Does anybody know why record companies announce a new release to be out on such and such a date, and then it gets put back, and put back? It really pisses me off! Still waiting on my Marv Johnson for example. It doesnt matter if I pre-order via my local independent store or Amazon or whoever. What is it? Distribution? manufacturing? Any thoughts anyone?..Paulo xxxx

vcq
04-22-2011, 08:09 PM
Does anybody know why record companies announce a new release to be out on such and such a date, and then it gets put back, and put back? It really pisses me off! Still waiting on my Marv Johnson for example. It doesnt matter if I pre-order via my local independent store or Amazon or whoever. What is it? Distribution? manufacturing? Any thoughts anyone?..Paulo xxxx

I know that in the case of the US, very rarely are British releases released on the same date. For the Marv Johnson CD, for example, the UK release date is 26 April, but in the States it's 17 May.

From personal observation, it seems that these pushed-back release dates occur more frequently with smaller labels / subsidiaries like Hip-O and Ace, although I can remember a few instances where major labels delayed releases by *years* [[like Renee Olstead's Skylark, which was originally announced in 2005 and released in 2009).

daviddesper
04-23-2011, 12:10 AM
This has always been a pet peeve of mine also and sometimes the delay beyond the originally-announced date can actually be measured in YEARS, not weeks or months. Right now for example, I am still waiting on an alleged new CD from one of my favorite blues divas, E C Scott, who first posted on her website back in 2009 that her new CD would be "released in 2010" and here we are.

theboyfromxtown
04-23-2011, 07:24 AM
Paulo

I think we have to remember that music companies operate a business and with any business, plans do not always come to fruition in the intended time scale. I suspect your copy of Marv Johnson's CD is on its way - as was mine, only mine has now arrived.