PDA

View Full Version : Smokey Robinson "Smokin"

test

pj1
04-19-2011, 03:05 PM
http://theseconddisc.com/2011/04/19/robinson-is-smokin-on-1978-live-set-due-from-hip-o-select/#more-6137

pj1
04-19-2011, 03:08 PM
I'm not sure how to edit a thread title. Sorry, I should have listed 'Smokin' in the title.

randy_russi
04-19-2011, 03:41 PM
I liked the Warm Thoughts lp because I loved the song Heavy On Pride [[Light On Love), which you can really hear Claudette
on the backups. Heavy On Pride wasn't a major hit for him as it was issued at a time when disco music was ruling the
airwaves, but I thought it was one of the best solo efforts he did at the time--a great groove and a good hook.

paladin
04-19-2011, 10:04 PM
I loved Madame X.....

theboyfromxtown
04-20-2011, 02:53 AM
Me too...absolutely love it.

marv2
04-20-2011, 05:40 AM
I bought "Smokin" when it was first released and his album from earlier that year, 1978 containing "Daylight & Darkness". Both albums were very well done in my opinon. I haven't listened to them in years though.

tomato tom
04-22-2011, 12:17 PM
Never been a great Smokey fan, vocal wise, but yes, even I know he has some real gems in his war chest. I just cannot listen to any of his albums all the way through. I know I sound like a traitor, but, im sorry, thats the way it is with me. I get where I have to stop after say 3 tracks, and go back later, THEN, I can appreciate. I love Cruisin, Being With You, especially the Spanish language version, Just My Soul Responding, Virgin Man, BUT what is it Im missing??? I know we cant like everything, but when I put him on, I have to stop and pause. Now with the Miracles, I never had that???..Paulo xxxx

paladin
04-22-2011, 12:31 PM
I know we cant like everything, but when I put him on, I have to stop and pause. Now with the Miracles, I never had that???..Paulo xxxx

I don't really go through the same process as you do with Smokey but I understand your point.........Take Madam X and Daylight and Darkness for example, vintage sounding Smokey, wow as you listen you think dam, brother still got his chops, music is dead on point ...and all of a sudden you get a couple of dreck cuts that makes you go, what the hell was he thinking ? I remember him doing two versions of " I Cant Find" the one found on "Essar" was brilliant, the other WTF ?

Speaking of "Essar: if I recall correctly that was the best Smokey sounding record on the entire album......

tomato tom
04-22-2011, 12:37 PM
Paladin...Thanks, YOU Understand. I agree with I Cant Find too. I Do love loads of his solo work,BUT, not all in one bite. Am I forgiven?.. Paulo xxx

paladin
04-22-2011, 12:53 PM
Look Paulo, I love the music, but not so much that I cant comprehend another person's viewpoint, oft times I learn thing's and have similar thoughts but find them difficult to express. In fact recently "boyfrommotown" expressed how he was surprised that I didn't care for the Temptations "Unite The World" instead of leaving him hanging we wound up discussing the record from two different points of view, he thought it was brilliant, I thought it was just ok, more rock than soul because thats how I heard it, no harm no foul. I think once one takes their eyes out of the equation and rely on their ears, it makes for better discussions. Additionally his viewpoint was UK influenced whereas mine was based on USA.

tomato tom
04-22-2011, 03:20 PM
Thanks. If we all liked the same stuff, it would be a very BORING world. Plus, we couldnt discuss, talk, complain ect with each other here, could we? By the way, I thought Unite The World was one of the Temps worse tracks ever. And I LOVE The Tempts & Norman Whitfield. One mans rubbish is another mans treasure, as they say..Paulo xxx

paladin
04-22-2011, 03:29 PM
For sure Paulo, for sure......

pj1
05-14-2011, 06:04 AM
http://www.hip-oselect.com/scr.public.product.asp?product_id=FD5EEAF0-DBE9-4AA9-8A15-63F78F8A86F5

Motown4Ever518
05-14-2011, 02:37 PM
I don't really go through the same process as you do with Smokey but I understand your point.........Take Madam X and Daylight and Darkness for example, vintage sounding Smokey, wow as you listen you think dam, brother still got his chops, music is dead on point ...and all of a sudden you get a couple of dreck cuts that makes you go, what the hell was he thinking ? I remember him doing two versions of " I Cant Find" the one found on "Essar" was brilliant, the other WTF ?

Speaking of "Essar: if I recall correctly that was the best Smokey sounding record on the entire album......

I was so into Smokey that in the early 70's I called myself Smokey. Though anyone who saw my skin tone, or heard my singing voice did not get it. 40 years later, I am not sure I get why I did it. That said, as the decade of the 70's went on, Smokey did not write all of the songs that he recorded. And lets not forget that he had probaly written at least a 1,000 songs by then and admittedly there were songs on these 70's albums that were, dare I say it, ok, I will say it, but with all due respect, filler. Thinking back, I was always about the song, be it the lyrics, melody, or backing tracks. At the time, in New York you not only had Disco, most of which I liked, but the developmental stages of Rap. So the songs did not stand out. You also had a release schedule that would be very ambitious by todays standards of 2 Lps per year. I pruchased them because I was/am a fan but did not play them other than the hits because they were not noteworthy as a whole. The good thing about this series is that I can listen to as I did the other day Smokeys Family Robinson 3-4 times in the course of a couple of days which is probably more than I have listened to it since it's release, and really dig it.

theboyfromxtown
05-14-2011, 03:30 PM
Thanks. If we all liked the same stuff, it would be a very BORING world. Plus, we couldnt discuss, talk, complain ect with each other here, could we? By the way, I thought Unite The World was one of the Temps worse tracks ever. And I LOVE The Tempts & Norman Whitfield. One mans rubbish is another mans treasure, as they say..Paulo xxx

Paulo....I'm got out my christmas card list and I am now looking for a red pen marker! I'm giving you one more chane to change your mind. It must be cos you both have monikers beginning with "P"! Hmmmm....

tomato tom
05-16-2011, 02:59 PM
Ok..I dug it out out. Played it 3 times now. Yes Im liking it more....Paulo xxx