View Full Version : Graham Central Station's "Tell Me What It Is"

test

PeaceNHarmony
01-17-2021, 11:56 AM
Never enough of these master musicians, and today LOVING the vocals -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdWXgJCoJcI

Motown Eddie
01-20-2021, 07:04 AM
Yes! One of my favorites from Graham Central Station's debut. "Tell Me What It Is" [[like most of Larry Graham's work) has some things in common with Sly Stone's but it has more of a spark that [[IMHO) Sly lost in the mid '70s. Thanks for posting PNH.

PeaceNHarmony
01-20-2021, 08:45 AM
Yes! One of my favorites from Graham Central Station's debut. "Tell Me What It Is" [[like most of Larry Graham's work) has some things in common with Sly Stone's but it has more of a spark that [[IMHO) Sly lost in the mid '70s. Thanks for posting PNH.You know, MEd, it's interesting to listen to old favorites after some 'time off'. While listening to the lp this weekend I did indeed see the link to S&tFS more clearly than I did in the past and also thought "Hmmm - this is kinda what a new Sly lp shoulda/coulda sounded like". And - a precursor to Prince. We're lucky to have experienced this great music in real time, aren't we? I just wish I had taken up a friend's request to see GCS live!

sansradio
01-20-2021, 11:49 AM
I saw GCS live in concert when I was 7 years old. Unforgettable and wild.

Motown Eddie
01-20-2021, 03:10 PM
You know, MEd, it's interesting to listen to old favorites after some 'time off'. While listening to the lp this weekend I did indeed see the link to S&tFS more clearly than I did in the past and also thought "Hmmm - this is kinda what a new Sly lp shoulda/coulda sounded like". And - a precursor to Prince. We're lucky to have experienced this great music in real time, aren't we? I just wish I had taken up a friend's request to see GCS live!

I know what you mean; we're lucky to have experienced the music of GCS in real time [[and that we can always listen to it whenever we want). I did have the pleasure of seeing Larry Graham & Co. a few times between 1995 & 2016 & they were always amazing [[hopefully he'll tour again when the pandemic ends).

PeaceNHarmony
01-20-2021, 07:35 PM
I saw GCS live in concert when I was 7 years old. Unforgettable and wild.WOW! What was the venue? Was GCS the main act? I gotta head for the peanut butter 'cause I already have THE JELLIES ...

sansradio
01-20-2021, 08:08 PM
WOW! What was the venue? Was GCS the main act? I gotta head for the peanut butter 'cause I already have THE JELLIES ...

HA! It was the Savannah Civic Center. They were the headliners, supported by The Brothers Johnson and a third act which escapes me right now [[I'll ask my sister, who still has the ticket stub [!]). GCS used an amazing effect which made the arena rumble like a train at one point, which scared the bejeezus outta me. We had a great time. Thank God we had cool parents. :cool: