PDA

View Full Version : Mica Paris "Gospel" [[2020)

test

Guy
01-10-2021, 02:03 AM
Mica Paris, probably the greatest British soul singer, released her first new CD in 11 years and no one at SD made a peep [[?)[[!)

Anyway, it is a combination of traditional gospel songs with inspirational covers of "A Change Is Gonna Come", Foreigner's "I Want To Know What Love Is" and U2's "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For", among others. My copy just arrived. She sounds pretty good.

https://youtu.be/SfFXNA1OqDM

jack020
01-10-2021, 05:02 AM
A few weeks ago I played Amazing Grace from this album at my mother in law's funeral.

Bluebrock
01-10-2021, 10:18 AM
Mica Paris, probably the greatest British soul singer, released her first new CD in 11 years and no one at SD made a peep [[?)[[!)

Anyway, it is a combination of traditional gospel songs with inspirational covers of "A Change Is Gonna Come", Foreigner's "I Want To Know What Love Is" and U2's "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For", among others. My copy just arrived. She sounds pretty good.

https://youtu.be/SfFXNA1OqDM

It's criminal it has been 11 years since her last album, but it has been worth the wait. I especially love her version of A change is gonna come which is quite possibly my all time favorite song. Mica's version is up there with the best.

Guy
01-10-2021, 10:17 PM
A few weeks ago I played Amazing Grace from this album at my mother in law's funeral.

I'm sorry for your loss, Jack. These are trying times the world over. Mica has an anointing on her and is well-suited to sing your loved one on to Glory.

Guy
01-10-2021, 10:22 PM
It's criminal it has been 11 years since her last album, but it has been worth the wait. I especially love her version of A change is gonna come which is quite possibly my all time favorite song. Mica's version is up there with the best.

Indeed, the wait has been too long. While not as smooth and supple as in her youth, her mature voice compensates with "heft" and emotive power. I am knocked out by the recording of the U2 song -- goosebumps-- and I have always thought that song mediocre.

Bluebrock
01-11-2021, 03:42 AM
[QUOTE=Guy;603836]Indeed, the wait has been too long. While not as smooth and supple as in her youth, her mature voice compensates with "heft" and emotive power. I am knocked out by the recording of the U2 song -- goosebumps-- and I have always thought that song mediocre.[/QUOTE
Agree on all counts. We lost many years of potentially great albums whilst she was appearing in soap operas and being a dj. Let's hope we don't have to wait a further 11 years for the next one.

TomatoTom123
01-26-2021, 03:00 PM
Downloaded this album a couple of weeks ago... not normally one for gospel music, but I’ll make an exception for this one, mostly for Mica's version of "Something Inside So Strong" and the brilliantly uplifting "Mamma Said" :D