PDA

View Full Version : What are you listening to right now [[Ross related,)

test

daviddh
12-21-2020, 07:16 PM
Been listening to Ross 83 yesterday...
Love that's how you start over and you do it .
Pieces of ice held up better than most.
Also Supremes christmas collection

reese
12-21-2020, 08:02 PM
Over the past couple of months, I have been listening to the Supremes albums in chronological order. This past weekend, I made it up through the first disc of FAREWELL.

JohnnyB
12-21-2020, 08:15 PM
Over the past couple of months, I have been listening to the Supremes albums in chronological order. This past weekend, I made it up through the first disc of FAREWELL.

Lately, various forum topics have led me to go back to certain Diana LP’s. Silk Electric, Eaten Alive and the Funny Girl expanded are the three I’ve been revisiting as of late...

johnjeb
12-21-2020, 10:19 PM
Ultimate Christmas 2017 Mixes
Love Child album
Meet The Supremes
Sing HDH

Bluebrock
12-22-2020, 03:01 AM
Been listening to Ross 83 yesterday...
Love that's how you start over and you do it .
Pieces of ice held up better than most.
Also Supremes christmas collection
I am only listening to Christmas music at the moment which of course means The Supremes Ultimate Christmas Edition and Diana's solo Christmas collection are getting regular listens. Prior to that it was The Funny Girl expanded edition that had commanded my attention. I was most impressed with it despite it never being a favorite of mine previously.

Albator
12-22-2020, 03:45 AM
Almost every day for over 2 weeks now ...
Force behind the power
change of heart
Ross 83
Swept away
telephone
fight for it
shine
You were the one
I love you, call me
keep it right there
If you'r not gonna love me right
too many nights
gone
Baby it's me album

florence
12-22-2020, 06:42 AM
At the minute over and over again:

To Love Again album
Touch Me In The Morning album [[first five tracks)
Chain Reaction
Forever Young
Amazing Grace

daviddh
12-22-2020, 09:13 AM
I did forget I was listening to expanded I hear a symphony ....disc two.
Live at roostertail

RanRan79
12-22-2020, 10:44 AM
Supremes Christmas over the last few weeks. Not much else Ross related.

sup_fan
12-22-2020, 12:04 PM
I am only listening to Christmas music at the moment which of course means The Supremes Ultimate Christmas Edition and Diana's solo Christmas collection are getting regular listens. Prior to that it was The Funny Girl expanded edition that had commanded my attention. I was most impressed with it despite it never being a favorite of mine previously.

likewise - plus Ella, Mariah's All I Want and lots of others. shift between classical and pop holiday music

Prior [[and of course post) i'll get the girls more back into the mix, sometimes i play just random playlists but sometimes i'll do an album from start to finish. i like the random but also enjoy hearing an album in it's released format in order to hear the music 'the way they intended'

Bluebrock
12-22-2020, 01:04 PM
likewise - plus Ella, Mariah's All I Want and lots of others. shift between classical and pop holiday music

Prior [[and of course post) i'll get the girls more back into the mix, sometimes i play just random playlists but sometimes i'll do an album from start to finish. i like the random but also enjoy hearing an album in it's released format in order to hear the music 'the way they intended'

There are so many wonderful Christmas albums. I prefer to play my cd's rather than spotify. I have around 300 Christmas cd's of which i would class around 60-70 as absolutely essential listening. Currently i am playing Be Be Winans magnificent " My Christmas Prayer".

daviddh
01-01-2021, 01:23 PM
Not a fav but still one of her best rca albums Red Hot Blue album.
Some great songs here....hard for me to say

Bluebrock
01-01-2021, 01:27 PM
Not a fav but still one of her best rca albums Red Hot Blue album.
Some great songs here....hard for me to say

It was not a great album, but it did contain some beautiful tracks such as Hard for me to say, Cross my heart and Summertime.

reese
01-01-2021, 02:30 PM
Last night I listened to the Supremes' LOST AND FOUND collection.

jack020
01-01-2021, 06:02 PM
BIM on brandnew USA vinyl

jobeterob
01-01-2021, 10:15 PM
Give Up - because of SD!

johnjeb
01-01-2021, 11:38 PM
Everything Is Everything....one of my favorite albums...got it for Christmas in 1970...still enjoying it 50 years later...

Ollie9
01-02-2021, 03:48 AM
“The Force Behind The Power”. A great song, with lyrics perhaps more relevant now then at the time it was first released in. I find it impossible to sit still while this is playing.
Would love to see a re-release of the song. Diana looked stunning in the promo.

Bluebrock
01-02-2021, 01:52 PM
“The Force Behind The Power”. A great song, with lyrics perhaps more relevant now then at the time it was first released in. I find it impossible to sit still while this is playing.
Would love to see a re-release of the song. Diana looked stunning in the promo.

She certainly did look stunning in the video. She was in a great place in her personal life, and she was very pleased with the FBTP album. I would suggest Diana was possibly at her happiest around this time and she was for the most part an absolute joy to work with. Happy memories.

marybrewster
01-02-2021, 06:12 PM
I just scored 3 70's CD's: New Ways, Touch, and Floy Joy. I'm enjoying listening to them as stand alones.

Ollie9
01-09-2021, 10:13 AM
More and More *** Deliciously understated vocal.

daviddh
01-09-2021, 04:24 PM
Ollie I agree.
Beautiful vocal. Some gems on this album minus title cut

daviddh
01-09-2021, 04:26 PM
Been listening to the Force behind the power..
Heart don't change my mind and blame it on the sun are lovely

reese
01-09-2021, 10:42 PM
After Nomis mentioned it in another thread, I pulled out SWEPT AWAY. I haven't played it since the recent reissue came out but it has always been one of my favorite Diana albums

daviddh
01-10-2021, 03:06 PM
Swept away...it's your move....touch by touch...telephone....
Some good tracks minus the last track.
Wasn't fight for it a left over from this

reese
01-12-2021, 02:00 PM
Swept away...it's your move....touch by touch...telephone....
Some good tracks minus the last track.
Wasn't fight for it a left over from this

I think FIGHT FOR IT was removed to make room for ALL OF YOU. But FIGHT FOR IT ended up as the b-side of SWEPT AWAY.

Ollie9
02-19-2021, 08:26 AM
“God Bless The Child” at The Apollo Hall Of Fame in 93. Beautiful, sensitive performance from Diana. She really gets to the heart of the song.

daviddh
02-19-2021, 08:57 AM
The force behind the power...
Love ...heart don't change my mind and blame it on the sun

Bluebrock
02-19-2021, 09:27 AM
The force behind the power...
Love ...heart don't change my mind and blame it on the sun

Beautiful songs that are amongst Ms Ross's personal favourites too, so you are in good company David!

sup_fan
02-19-2021, 12:04 PM
Beautiful songs that are amongst Ms Ross's personal favourites too, so you are in good company David!

a song i often forget or overlook is I Thought We Were Still in Love. stunning production and gorgeous vocal. i need to move this track into multiple playlists. one of her best, although quite a sad lyric

PeaceNHarmony
02-19-2021, 08:59 PM
Listened to most of the Take Me Higher album while speed-training this evening. What a lovely, lush & beautifully sung album.

Ollie9
02-20-2021, 06:26 AM
Just Say, Just Say - My favourite song from Diana & Marvin.

daviddh
02-21-2021, 04:52 PM
Diana. Lp... this weekend ....as well as take me higher

TNSUN
02-26-2021, 05:14 AM
1978 "Ross" album. "Reach Out, I'll Be There" Love this song. Opening night, RTL, what a surprise to hear this song superbly orchestrated and beautifully sung by Diana Ross. I always wondered if Luther Vandross had requested it.

Ollie9
02-26-2021, 01:28 PM
“This House”. Deliciously soulful, classy offering from Diana. She really puts her own unique stamp on it. Far to sophisticated to have become a huge hit. Poignant lyrics.
”I’ll try to comfort you baby, you try to comfort me”. :cool:

Bluebrock
02-26-2021, 02:28 PM
1978 "Ross" album. "Reach Out, I'll Be There" Love this song. Opening night, RTL, what a surprise to hear this song superbly orchestrated and beautifully sung by Diana Ross. I always wondered if Luther Vandross had requested it.

It was his all time favourite Ross recording and i do believe he did request it.
I have some recollection of this, but will have to consult my journals for confirmation.

sansradio
02-26-2021, 02:43 PM
"His Eye Is on the Sparrow." Simply sublime.

smallworld
02-26-2021, 05:17 PM
The D'Influence remix of "Not Over You Yet." The sample really perks up the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiuz55bJQwg

Ollie9
02-26-2021, 06:16 PM
The D'Influence remix of "Not Over You Yet." The sample really perks up the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiuz55bJQwg

This is a terrific remix. Really breaths new life into the song without distorting the original feel. I wish it had been on the album. My kind of music.

Ollie9
03-01-2021, 10:12 AM
“Back To The Future” - There is something hypnotic about this song.

Bluebrock
03-01-2021, 10:21 AM
This is a terrific remix. Really breaths new life into the song without distorting the original feel. I wish it had been on the album. My kind of music.

One for the expanded edition Ollie!

Ollie9
03-01-2021, 11:20 AM

​Yes Pleeeze...

Ollie9
03-06-2021, 05:16 PM
Imagine - Mary Wilson. Listening in honour of her birthday today.

daviddh
03-06-2021, 05:20 PM
The #1s
This week.
Been playing stoned love alot

Deepdishus2001
03-06-2021, 08:38 PM
DRATS-Reflections, Love Child, Let the Sunshine In, Cream of the Crop
Diana-Workin' Overtime, Expanded editions of Everything Is Everything, Diana Ross 76, Swept Away, Ross 83, Supertonic and selected cuts from I Love You

Deepdishus2001
03-06-2021, 08:44 PM

Hello Bluebrock. Do you know if these expanded editions will attach/include any of the various tracks for the compilations around the releases of the studio albums, i.e the new tracks from Musical Memoirs/One Woman/Ultimate Collection, Voice of Love, Gift of Love, Life and Love, The Berry Gordy Tribute Album, That's Why I Call You My Friend/When You Dream [[Japan Release only)? Thank you, Frank

smallworld
04-15-2021, 07:21 PM

Here's another one for the Expanded Edition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2O7RYRENo4

The vocals sound so much more natural here than on the Soul Solution Remix.

after you
04-15-2021, 09:28 PM
When you tell me that you love me takes us home

Bluebrock
04-16-2021, 02:25 AM
Hello Bluebrock. Do you know if these expanded editions will attach/include any of the various tracks for the compilations around the releases of the studio albums, i.e the new tracks from Musical Memoirs/One Woman/Ultimate Collection, Voice of Love, Gift of Love, Life and Love, The Berry Gordy Tribute Album, That's Why I Call You My Friend/When You Dream [[Japan Release only)? Thank you, Frank
I honestly do not know. I would expect the Japanese tracks to appear on the expanded editions, but i have no idea which of the three albums. I am beginning to despair they will never be released. It's around five years ago when the idea was first muted. Sorry i cannot be of further assistance at this time.

smallworld
04-16-2021, 04:53 AM
I've always disliked the heavy percussion sound on "Hope Is an Open Window." I see that it's a remix by Christopher Ward and Tim Tickner. I'd love to hear Daryl Simmons' original production, if it's in the vaults.

Was the promo of "Sugarfee" an edit or perhaps a radio remix?

Ollie9
04-18-2021, 03:55 PM
I’m Watching You - I have always loved this pretty, shimmering ballad from EA. I definitely think it should have been considered for single release. It has an adult, contemporary feel to it that really gets under your skin.
I would love to have heard Diana sing this live.

daviddh
04-18-2021, 06:23 PM
i love Im Watching You
lately i combined my fav tracks from Take Me Higher and Everyday and made my own expanded edition. so Take me Higher from me

TNSUN
04-18-2021, 07:17 PM
I am listening and watching "Stolen Moments", which was filmed in NYC. The musicians and Diana Ross present a nice concert. Vocally, Diana Ross uses more ranges and delicate phrasing than she usually displays in a pop concert. Her varied musical phrasing is quite generous.The Michael Masser musical influences abound in this concert. Gil Askey and Diana Ross is a magical musical duo. The musical interludes of just the piano and the solo voice of Diana Ross are quite spectacular.
My dream album would be an American Songbook by Diana Ross. Her vocal singing along to a different solo instrument for each song -but this is dreaming on a lazy Sunday afternoon!
This concert partially satisfies this dream.

Deepdishus2001
04-18-2021, 07:23 PM
I honestly do not know. I would expect the Japanese tracks to appear on the expanded editions, but i have no idea which of the three albums. I am beginning to despair they will never be released. It's around five years ago when the idea was first muted. Sorry i cannot be of further assistance at this time.

Thank you so much Bluebrock. I really do hope they happen. I thought Diana owned the return to Motown masters, at least for the U.S. I also still hope that London Symphony orchestra album happens after the new music is released.

nomis
04-19-2021, 12:29 AM
Just bought the jackson's gh cd.. listening to that..well she did " discover" them lol....btw just heard "State of shock " for the first time..it's terrible..how it got to # 3 in the u.s. I'll never know...

Bluebrock
04-19-2021, 02:30 AM
Just bought the jackson's gh cd.. listening to that..well she did " discover" them lol....btw just heard "State of shock " for the first time..it's terrible..how it got to # 3 in the u.s. I'll never know...
"State of shock" left me in a state of shock when i first heard it. Somebody somewhere must have thought it a good idea to duet Michael with Mick. Perhaps a decent song would have been a good starting point.

PeaceNHarmony
04-19-2021, 08:54 AM
Yesterday 'The Force Behind The Power' lp, which sounded just wonderful after a more-than-1-year layoff.

Bluebrock
04-19-2021, 01:09 PM
Yesterday 'The Force Behind The Power' lp, which sounded just wonderful after a more-than-1-year layoff.

It is a beautifully produced and performed album, and one of Miss Ross's personal favourites.

nomis
04-20-2021, 03:50 AM
Listening to a dance compilation I got yesterday a track came on by chris malinchak called " if you got it" which samples diana in "I'm gonna make you love me" as well as Smokey robinson it's a stunning track...

JLoveLamar
04-20-2021, 07:55 PM
I have been on a Miss Ross kick since last year. I've been so afraid something would happen to her, so I took most of the cds I own of hers out of my storage! [[Which one of y'all is hiding me Eaten Alive?!) In my car I have,

Diana Ross Forever [[I listen to You Send Me, Where Did Our Love Go, I'm Still Waiting, Remember Me, Brown Baby/Save The Children, Reach Out I'll Be There, Confide In Me, Come In From The Rain, Home,The Boss, It's My House, Muscles, Upside Down, Mirror Mirror, Work That Body, Swept Away, Missing You, EATEN ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!, Chain Reaction, Workin' Overtime, This House, Waiting In The Wings 93' remix-one of my FAVORITE Miss Ross songs! I can't even listen to the original)

Diana Ross 1970 Expanded [[I pretty much pop this cd in and let em all play, and after the first run-through I'll go to Ain't No Mountain High Enough, I Wouldn't Change The Man He Is, Can It Wait Until Tomorrow?, Dark Side Of The World, Time and Love, Stoney End, The Interim [[one of my absolute FAVORITE Miss Ross songs!!!)

Diana Expanded Deluxe Edition[[I can listen to this whole cd EXCEPT My Old Piano. After allllll this time, I'm finally starting to kind of like it. My favorites are Upside Down, Tenderness, Friend to Friend, I'm Coming Out, Have Fun, Now That You're Gone [[my favorite on the album)

Workin' Overtime [[I listen to Workin' Overtime, Just Say We Can, This House)

Diamond Diana [[I got this from HSN when I ordered her fragrance in 2018. It came with a Christmas CD. I listen to everything except Why Do Fools Fall In Love. My favorite is Take Me Higher [[Another ABSOLUTE FAVORITE from Miss Ross! Love this era in her career. She was radiantly beautiful. My goodness. It was so nostalgic seeing her on HSN for that whole day because she looked just like she did around this time. I might skip Love Hangover and ANMHE because I don't like shortened versions of songs)

Lady Sings The Blues Soundtrack [[I listen to everything. Even the songs I don't really care for, which are probably only 2 or 3. I even listen to the interludes. This film is just so special for me. I'll tell Miss Ross someday about it ;). My faves are God Bless The Child, Good Mornin' Heartache, DON'T EXPLAIN, Our Love Is Here To Stay, Strange Fruit, T'Ain't Nobody's Business If I Do [[both versions), Had You Been Around [[I love this song!)

Diana Ross Blue [[I pop this cd in and listen to the whole thing except maybe Diana's version of Had You Been Around. I like the song, but I'm so used to the lady that Sings it in LSTB.

Stolen Moments [[I pop this in and probably listen to the whole thing, though I cannot STAND the order she Sings the songs in.)

Forgot to add I Love You! I loooove this album. This album is what sent me spiraling back into my Miss Ross hole after her stint on HSN, along with her Diamond Diana album. The songs I listen to most are I Want You, The Look of Love, Take My Breath Away, Lovely Day and More Today Than Yesterday [[my fave).

That's all that is in my car at the present moment as far as Diana is concerned. As soon as I get my other Diana cds, I'll swap a few out. Frantically looking for Eaten Alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JLoveLamar
04-20-2021, 07:56 PM
For some strange reason, I meant to edit in the I Love You post in and the whole thing deleted! I was able to save it first, though;)

kpitt1204
04-21-2021, 10:04 AM
I’ve been listening to “Take Me Higher”. I’m stuck on “Gone” which I wish had gotten airplay, at least here in Philly. One of the morning syndicated DJs used to rock the title cut quite frequently.

reese
04-21-2021, 11:55 AM
This past weekend, I bought a new turntable and one of the first albums I played to test it out was THE BOSS.

It has always been one of my favorites and I have long had the cd. But for some reason, listening to the original vinyl that I bought in 1979 just reconfirmed for me how great an album this is. In particular, I have a new found appreciation for the hot rhythm tracks that Ashford and Simpson came up with for the album. And of course, Diana's vocals were probably the hottest thing she had done to that point.

nomis
04-22-2021, 03:14 AM
Had " the boss" [[early expanded cd) on this afternoon ..loved the riff of " everything must live " in "sparkle"..also had noticed the instrumental breakdown in the extended mix of "it's my house" before..that's cool...it's been said a thousand times before - diana never sounded better than this album

MotownFan1
04-23-2021, 08:30 AM
Diana Ross[[1970). I can’t believe “These Things Will Keep Me Loving You” wasn’t a single. I love her version and I feel like it could have been a hit!

Ollie9
04-24-2021, 05:54 PM
Sleepin’ - To classy to have been a pop hit, but one of those great Ross vocals.
There appears to be another non-album version of the song that has a more pronounced drum beat and slightly less instrumentation which I prefer. Was this perhaps the single version of the song?.

nomis
04-25-2021, 02:03 AM
I've got last time I saw him expanded on..such an underated ross album

sansradio
04-25-2021, 09:57 AM
"You're Nobody till Somebody Loves You," There's a Place for Us version.

Ollie9
05-02-2021, 02:24 PM
“How About You” - An overlooked little gem of a song that Diana sings to perfection. Motown must have thought it rather special as they added it to her Greatest Hits Album From 72. “If You See Him” was another great song included on that package. Both could have been sizeable Hits imo. So many great songs from that time period.

Bluebrock
05-02-2021, 03:50 PM
“How About You” - An overlooked little gem of a song that Diana sings to perfection. Motown must have thought it rather special as they added it to her Greatest Hits Album From 72. “If You See Him” was another great song included on that package. Both could have been sizeable Hits imo. So many great songs from that time period.

And if you see him was strongly considered for single release in the UK. Not sure why it wasn't issued.

khansperac
05-02-2021, 04:07 PM

What greatest hits album is this?

Ollie9
05-02-2021, 04:39 PM
And if you see him was strongly considered for single release in the UK. Not sure why it wasn't issued.

Dam and blast lol. One of my very favourite Diana songs of all time. Great lyrics, superb production and one of Diana's finest vocal performances imo. I wonder why it was never released?.

Ollie9
05-02-2021, 04:48 PM
What greatest hits album is this?

I think 72 was the release date, but it may have been UK only. Diana is sitting on the stage wearing a yellow dress on the cover. It had a gatefold sleeve with a huge pic of Diana from her 71 tv special in the centre. I consider it one of her very best compilation albums. Every song a Ross classic.

khansperac
05-02-2021, 04:51 PM
I think 72 was the release date, but it may have been UK only. Diana is sitting on the stage wearing a yellow dress on the cover. It had a gatefold sleeve with a huge pic of Diana from her 71 tv special in the centre. I consider it one of her very best compilation albums. Every song a Ross classic.

Thanks Ollie. Never heard of this one.

nomis
05-02-2021, 06:19 PM
Thanks Ollie. Never heard of this one.

Iam listening to Smokey Robinson's greatest hits.."Mickeys Monkey" has the same chord progression as 'When The Lovelight" !!.

Ollie9
05-03-2021, 03:06 AM

Iam listening to Smokey Robinson's greatest hits.."Mickeys Monkey" has the same chord progression as 'When The Lovelight" !!.

Terrific album cover. I wore the grooves out as a nipper. :cool:

after you
05-03-2021, 07:39 AM
I hear angels bringing on her Funny Girl album what a magnificent collection of music when I play it to friends they can hardly believe it I also I’m listening to let the music play a go to song

TNSUN
05-03-2021, 07:42 AM
Diana Ross' "My Turn".
Vocal and musical perfection!
In the name of love, reward yourself!
Then listen to the Jackson's "Enjoy Yourself".

Bluebrock
05-03-2021, 09:38 AM
I've always disliked the heavy percussion sound on "Hope Is an Open Window." I see that it's a remix by Christopher Ward and Tim Tickner. I'd love to hear Daryl Simmons' original production, if it's in the vaults.

Was the promo of "Sugarfee" an edit or perhaps a radio remix?

There are more than enough outtakes and alternate versions to make a 2 cd expanded edition of this album, and indeed all 4 of the return to Motown albums.
I am not sure why they haven't seen the light of day as yet. I am not aware of any licensing issues, and Miss Ross has no problems with them being released to the best of my knowledge.
Maybe they will come out after the new album is released.

Ollie9
05-03-2021, 05:50 PM
If We hold On Together - So many great live versions out there.
Do any fans have a favourite Diana performance of the song?. Mine is probably Christmas In Vienna, but am open to persuasion. :)

Ollie9
05-03-2021, 05:51 PM
Duplicate post. Things went a little weird when posting!.
[[See above for details)

Ollie9
05-30-2021, 03:45 PM
“Stranger In Paradise” - My Diana song of the month. I always listen to the DL album more in summer then at any other time of the year.
I personally have renamed the album ‘Shine’. It ties in with the glam sunglasses pose on the cover, as well as being a great song.. :cool:

daviddh
05-30-2021, 06:03 PM
Diana Ross 76 still a favorite

PeaceNHarmony
05-30-2021, 07:31 PM
Rockin' 'Swept Away'

PeaceNHarmony
05-30-2021, 07:32 PM
There are more than enough outtakes and alternate versions to make a 2 cd expanded edition of this album, and indeed all 4 of the return to Motown albums.
I am not sure why they haven't seen the light of day as yet. I am not aware of any licensing issues, and Miss Ross has no problems with them being released to the best of my knowledge.
Maybe they will come out after the new album is released.I surely hope so. Lots of great singing on these lps.

nomis
05-31-2021, 01:18 AM
The forever came today remix milven posted ! Had an awful day with my illness this made me feel a little better

Bluebrock
05-31-2021, 02:08 AM
The forever came today remix milven posted ! Had an awful day with my illness this made me feel a little better
Sorry you are suffering nomis. I hope the beautiful music soothes your soul and heals your body.

nomis
05-31-2021, 09:44 PM
Sorry you are suffering nomis. I hope the beautiful music soothes your soul and heals your body.

Many thanks blue..this forum is a highlight of my day and always makes me feel a little better I loved your recollection of miss Ross singing a bit of " I thought it took a little" to you ..keep sharing your memories and thoughts

Bluebrock
06-01-2021, 02:48 AM
Many thanks blue..this forum is a highlight of my day and always makes me feel a little better I loved your recollection of miss Ross singing a bit of " I thought it took a little" to you ..keep sharing your memories and thoughts
Thank you so much for your kind words. I am delighted you are finding comfort and enjoyment in this forum.
I have so many memories, some of which i had totally forgotten about until i re-read my journals. I will continue to share the one's i am legally allowed to share.
I do hope you are feeling better soon.

florence
06-01-2021, 05:49 AM
It is a beautifully produced and performed album, and one of Miss Ross's personal favourites.

Interestingly far and away Diana's biggest selling album in the UK.

We must be the only territory where it's not diana.

florence
06-01-2021, 06:07 AM

They went with the horrendous Doobe'doodn'doobe instead!

I don't really understand what happened with EMI in 1972 - they had shown the way with I'm Still Waiting and with no new material in the pipeline had more than enough great tracks from previous albums to have had at least 3 top 10 hits during the year - These Things, I Can't Give Back The Love, And If You See Him etc - maybe no-one could agree on which would be best.

I remember you saying that Did You Read The Morning Paper was considered for release - now I don't really get it at all.

florence
06-01-2021, 06:13 AM

This was an attempt to cash in on her immense popularity in the UK at the time and although there had been little time for Diana to have had many solo hits the track list on this using many album tracks is amazing.

Although it only peaked at #34 being in the chart at Christmas gave it good sales.

As a result of this album the 1976 Greatest Hits Album was titled Greatest Hits 2 in the UK.

Although it just missed out on #1 the sales were enormous getting up there towards Force.

Bluebrock
06-01-2021, 08:47 AM
They went with the horrendous Doobe'doodn'doobe instead!

I don't really understand what happened with EMI in 1972 - they had shown the way with I'm Still Waiting and with no new material in the pipeline had more than enough great tracks from previous albums to have had at least 3 top 10 hits during the year - These Things, I Can't Give Back The Love, And If You See Him etc - maybe no-one could agree on which would be best.

I remember you saying that Did You Read The Morning Paper was considered for release - now I don't really get it at all.

I am not sure what EMI were thinking. The guy i knew from those days has sadly passed away so i can no longer ask questions.
However i did ask many questions when i was able to and he said they considered many songs for single release inc Didn't you know and These things will keep me loving you as well as the other songs mentioned previously.
I hope i am not treading on anyone's toes here, but the word is that EMI UK were singled out for particular praise by Berry Gordy or someone close to him for having the knack of hearing potential hits that had been overlooked by the US office. This did not just apply to Diana. It applied to the whole Motown roster. Certain employees at the US office felt the force of Mr Gordy's displeasure, and as such certain requests for single release by the UK office were refused. This caused something of a relationship rift which perhaps never fully healed.
I had absolutely no reason to disbelieve my late friend who had nothing to gain by telling me this, but it does go some way to explaining some of the baffling decisions made in the 70's.
I think i shall leave it at that for the moment.

florence
06-01-2021, 01:16 PM
I am not sure what EMI were thinking. The guy i knew from those days has sadly passed away so i can no longer ask questions.
However i did ask many questions when i was able to and he said they considered many songs for single release inc Didn't you know and These things will keep me loving you as well as the other songs mentioned previously.
I hope i am not treading on anyone's toes here, but the word is that EMI UK were singled out for particular praise by Berry Gordy or someone close to him for having the knack of hearing potential hits that had been overlooked by the US office. This did not just apply to Diana. It applied to the whole Motown roster. Certain employees at the US office felt the force of Mr Gordy's displeasure, and as such certain requests for single release by the UK office were refused. This caused something of a relationship rift which perhaps never fully healed.
I had absolutely no reason to disbelieve my late friend who had nothing to gain by telling me this, but it does go some way to explaining some of the baffling decisions made in the 70's.
I think i shall leave it at that for the moment.

Now that is really interesting.

One album that I listen to regularly is To Love Again.

Despite a couple of bummers in One More Chance [[my second least fav Diana single) and the just okay I Thought It Took a Little Time these were all class songs.

I think the problem with this album is that the fans were unhappy with the number of previously released tracks on it but taking them at face value they were beautiful ballads and Diana just floats seamlessly through them.

It's a joy to listen to.

benross
06-01-2021, 03:16 PM
I'm putting together another Christmas mix CD, and this one's Diana Ross contribution is Blame It On The Sun, so that's the Diana Ross song I've listened to most recently.

The title song of this mix CD is I Want A Love I Can See, featuring The Underdogs' version from the most recent Cellarful album.

The sequence for the Diana Ross segment is Lost Without You, by the Four Tops, The Rain Will Fall, by Barbra Streisand, Baby, The Rain Must Fall, by Glenn Yarbrough, Blame It On The Sun, by Diana Ross, To See The Sun Again, by Chuck Jackson and Deep Freeze by Brenda Holloway. Elsewhere in this set, Brenda is back, with Jimmy Ruffin, to sing Rebound, and Blinky shows up to perform Sweet Joy Of Life.

khansperac
06-01-2021, 03:17 PM
I never had a problem with the “To love again” album. Even at a young age, I realized that this was a Michael Masser greatest hit album with “new”/ unreleased songs. The cherry on the top were the gorgeous album photos. Overall I rate this album very high.

daviddh
07-06-2021, 06:34 PM
of course Thank You but that got me to listen to Diana sings the Wiz. i think Brand New Day could have been a single back that, great feel to it.

TheMotownManiac
07-06-2021, 08:18 PM
I’m playing Meet The Supremes mono minus the first two singles, Mono Breath Taking Guy, Mono My Heart Can’t Take it, single Run Run Run, Funny How Time.

I’ve been playing Swept Away, TMH, TMITM.

PS: I think Doobe was the natural choice to follow ISW. I’m still waiting had an amazing hook and chorus I think would’ve been irresistible if it had been played in the US or exposed on TV. There’s really nothing else radio friendly on the album, maybe ain’t no sad song had a slim chance. If you look at what was being played on the radio at the time, the music was much more dynamic, syrupy, unique and/or clever. I like everything is everything a lot, but I still say the only two tracks that sounded like they had a chance to make it as singles were the two released in the UK. I can’t imagine they’re releasing that album with no single for an entire year. But I wont start that rent for the 5 millionth time.
I don’t think anything on surrender would’ve hit in the United States. If you can’t get a hit off the title track, the other ones didn’t have a chance. I don’t know about in the UK because I’m surprised automatically sunshine hit there - they seem more flexible with their playlists.

Ollie9
07-07-2021, 05:11 AM
I’m playing Meet The Supremes mono minus the first two singles, Mono Breath Taking Guy, Mono My Heart Can’t Take it, single Run Run Run, Funny How Time.

I’ve been playing Swept Away, TMH, TMITM.

PS: I think Doobe was the natural choice to follow ISW. I’m still waiting had an amazing hook and chorus I think would’ve been irresistible if it had been played in the US or exposed on TV. There’s really nothing else radio friendly on the album, maybe ain’t no sad song had a slim chance. If you look at what was being played on the radio at the time, the music was much more dynamic, syrupy, unique and/or clever. I like everything is everything a lot, but I still say the only two tracks that sounded like they had a chance to make it as singles were the two released in the UK. I can’t imagine they’re releasing that album with no single for an entire year. But I wont start that rent for the 5 millionth time.
I don’t think anything on surrender would’ve hit in the United States. If you can’t get a hit off the title track, the other ones didn’t have a chance. I don’t know about in the UK because I’m surprised automatically sunshine hit there - they seem more flexible with their playlists.

I respectfully disagree. ”My Place”, “Baby It’s Love”, “Close To You” And “How About You” were all extremely radio friendly.
”And If You See Him” would have been my choice as the follow up “I’m Still Waiting”. Moody and dramatic.

Jaap
07-07-2021, 11:44 AM
of course Thank You but that got me to listen to Diana sings the Wiz. i think Brand New Day could have been a single back that, great feel to it.

#1 in the Netherlands!

Ollie9
07-07-2021, 12:17 PM

It does have the feel good factor and might have made a better choice then the rather unremarkable “Ease On Down The Road”. I wonder why it was exclusive to the. Netherlands?.

detmotownguy
07-07-2021, 02:18 PM
Hi Blue, As you know I am an ave. Diana fan. I was reintroduced to her music on the mid 90's FBTP and TMH and thought the sales of these projects should have gone through the roof. The quality to me anyway was reminiscent of Remember Me Album as far as quality. You could tell she put much time and effort into these two projects. Did Motown spend enough money to adequately market these projects? Sometimes I just feel Motown was being cheap on promotion.

detmotownguy
07-07-2021, 02:19 PM
QUOTE=Bluebrock And if you see him was strongly considered for single release in the UK. Not sure why it wasn't issued.

Hi Blue, As you know I am an ave. Diana fan. I was reintroduced to her music on the mid 90's FBTP and TMH and thought the sales of these projects should have gone through the roof. The quality to me anyway was reminiscent of Remember Me Album as far as quality. You could tell she put much time and effort into these two projects. Did Motown spend enough money to adequately market these projects? Sometimes I just feel Motown was being cheap on promotion.

Bluebrock
07-08-2021, 03:26 AM
She did become very frustrated with Motown USA for the way in which they attempted to promote the 90's albums. There were some very harsh words exchanged i can tell you that much.
She was very proud of FBTP and TMH and felt she wasn't been supported by the American office. There was no expense spared on the making of those albums. She was delighted by the way in which they initially threw money at the making of the projects, but failed to promote them properly.
It was a different story at EMI UK where she lavished gifts on the employees as a thank you for their hard work and support. She once told me it was like living in a parallel universe. It was such a sad situation. She worked her butt off to promote those albums without the support of Motown USA.

detmotownguy
07-08-2021, 04:41 AM
She did become very frustrated with Motown USA for the way in which they attempted to promote the 90's albums. There were some very harsh words exchanged i can tell you that much.
She was very proud of FBTP and TMH and felt she wasn't been supported by the American office. There was no expense spared on the making of those albums. She was delighted by the way in which they initially threw money at the making of the projects, but failed to promote them properly.
It was a different story at EMI UK where she lavished gifts on the employees as a thank you for their hard work and support. She once told me it was like living in a parallel universe. It was such a sad situation. She worked her butt off to promote those albums without the support of Motown USA.

Hey thks. Yes def they put in the $$$ the production and it showed. Reminds me of earlier days. It seemed that she just didn't run in the studio and quickly lay some tracks down. Motown did a lousy job with other performers as well. SMH. Catch up w you on FB in a few days.

Ollie9
07-08-2021, 09:40 AM

#1 in the Netherlands!

#1 in Belgium as well. It’s definitely more melodic then “Ease On Down The Road”. Given it’s huge success in those two countries, you would have thought it might have been released in the USA and UK.
I never realised until now [[43 years later) that Luther Vandross sings the first line of the song.

Bluebrock
07-08-2021, 10:20 AM
Hey thks. Yes def they put in the $$$ the production and it showed. Reminds me of earlier days. It seemed that she just didn't run in the studio and quickly lay some tracks down. Motown did a lousy job with other performers as well. SMH. Catch up w you on FB in a few days.

For sure. Hope you are feeling a little better following your ordeal from last week. Sending best wishes to you from across the pond.

Ollie9
07-10-2021, 02:30 PM
“Drop The Mask” - one of my favourites from the ‘Every Day Is A New Day’ Sessions.
Diana sings like she had a point to make. Definitely should have featured on the USA and UK versions of the album.

after you
07-10-2021, 03:23 PM
No matter what sign you are

Deepdishus2001
07-11-2021, 06:30 AM
The Supremes and Diana Motown Anthologies from 2001 and Swept Away Expanded Edition.

Ollie9
07-12-2021, 11:45 AM
It’s Alright With Me - from the “Farewell” album. It’s a song i wish she had sang at her ‘Stolen Moments’ concert from 92.
Rhonda sings a nice version, but prefer Diana’s .

sansradio
07-12-2021, 02:43 PM
This is a bit of a stretch, but Mabel King's movie version of "Don't Nobody Bring Me No Bad News." [Well. it is Ross-related!] :p

TheMotownManiac
07-12-2021, 04:04 PM
Where did our live go album - stereo version

Ollie9
07-18-2021, 06:04 AM
Brown Baby [[Reverend P Edit) - Cool remix of a great song.

Ollie9
07-27-2021, 05:30 AM
Have Fun Again - Love the songs message. Could have gone huge as a single.

Ollie9
08-07-2021, 11:53 AM
Heavy Weather - Gently lilting song with thought provoking lyrics. Should perhaps have been released as the fifth single in the UK.
I always wondered if it was Arne’ interest in ecology that prompted Diana to record it.

daviddh
08-07-2021, 07:10 PM
Listening to sing Supremes sing HDH.my fav

Ollie9
08-26-2021, 05:53 AM
Confide In Me - I was never really crazy about this track when younger, but have since come to appreciate its timeless sophistication. The expanded “BIM” remains one of my faves. :cool:

sansradio
08-26-2021, 08:19 AM
Aretha's cover of "It's My Turn."

Ollie9
08-26-2021, 08:49 AM
Aretha's cover of "It's My Turn."

I love her version almost as much as Diana's.
”Love All The Hurt Away” remains my favourite AF album.

sansradio
08-26-2021, 01:47 PM
I love her version almost as much as Diana's.
”Love All The Hurt Away” remains my favourite AF album.

It's certainly a great one...although Amazing Grace and the Sparkle soundtrack are Ree's crown jewels for me.

Ollie9
08-29-2021, 03:59 AM
“Turn Me Over” - Her voice sounds so sexy.

Ollie9
09-26-2021, 02:52 AM
Remember - The unadorned simplicity of the arrangement and vocal make the songs message all the more meaningful and heartfelt. It matches my Sunday morning, melancholy mood. :)

daviddh
09-26-2021, 09:58 AM
I have been listening to Supremes #1 collection.
Love the remix of You Keep Me Hanging On.
I also added the remix of My World Is Empty Without You from Motown Remixed.
What a great Ross vocal

Ollie9
09-27-2021, 03:19 AM
I have been listening to Supremes #1 collection.
Love the remix of You Keep Me Hanging On.
I also added the remix of My World Is Empty Without You from Motown Remixed.
What a great Ross vocal

I recently compiled a playlist mixing the more laidback songs from Ross 83 and Eaten Alive. The songs from the two albums really compliment each other making it great to chill out to with a glass of something nice. :D

daviddh
10-02-2021, 11:21 AM
Brand new day had hit written all over it.
Go figure.
Listening to songs from ILY.
Not my fav but Lovely Day,What about Love.
A few gems here

nomis
10-06-2021, 01:45 AM
had a compilation on and heard "My World Is Empty" chorus sampled in MC Lytes "Georgy Porgy"

Ollie9
12-03-2021, 08:56 AM
My Funny Valentine - The song has been covered by just about everyone under the sun, but Diana’s version still remains my very favourite.
No wonder BG was said to have been knocked out when he first heard the completed “SSR&H” album.

daviddh
12-03-2021, 03:18 PM
Thank you cd

Ollie9
12-03-2021, 05:55 PM
Thank you cd

I hope you listened to “My Funny Valentine” afterwards.

daviddh
12-04-2021, 02:24 PM
I hope you listened to “My Funny Valentine” afterwards.
no but i will, the Supremes sing Rogers and Hart has always been a favorite of mine

was just listening to Amazing Grace.

Ollie9
12-09-2021, 10:17 AM
The Long And Winding Road - I really like the arrangement, while Diana manages to put her own stamp on the song. No easy feat when you consider how many times it’s been covered.
The purity of her voice seems to match it’s wistful lyrics.

TNSUN
12-21-2021, 04:53 PM
"You're All I Need to Get By" by Diana Ross: Revised song with added lyrics by Ashford and Simpson, the song's original songwriters. The production is fabulous. This song demonstrates the vocal acuity of a great songstress, Diana Ross.

daviddh
12-30-2021, 10:20 AM
been listening to EIAND album, He Lives In You ,Carry On. alot of gems on this set .Love Not Over You Yet remix

Ollie9
12-30-2021, 12:04 PM
Sia - Angel By The Wings. A positive message song that would have fitted perfectly on the “Thank You” album.

florence
12-30-2021, 01:14 PM
The number of songs which could have been a UK hit at a certain time is just too long to list.

Circa 1824
12-31-2021, 12:00 PM
Supremes Sing HDH Expanded Edition. Good gracious, the girls rocked !!! No one came close …..

Ollie9
01-02-2022, 08:02 AM
The number of songs which could have been a UK hit at a certain time is just too long to list.

With the exception of the 70’s, tv promotion was the key as proved by the huge UK success of “FBTP”.

Ollie9
01-19-2022, 12:00 PM
Thank You - The whole album. It’s fast becoming a Diana classic for me with “In Your Heart” and “Just In Case” emerging as front runners in the favourites division.
Still wish it contained a current pic though. :)

floyjoy678
02-11-2022, 05:11 PM
Supremes Sing HDH Expanded Edition. Good gracious, the girls rocked !!! No one came close …..

Circa I've been listening to this all week after not listening to it in about a year. The first 7 songs on disc 2 in particular. Any ones that stood out for you? I really have been going back to the extended mix of Going Down For the Third Time at high volume in my car a lot this week! And the new mix of I Guess I'll Always Love You on disc 2 is a favorite too.

TNSUN
02-11-2022, 10:06 PM
"The Answer is Always Love": Grammy Worthy Song

Ollie9
02-12-2022, 05:47 PM
Crazy He Calls Me - It’s a shame that Diana never had the chance to perform this song in the film as it matches the storyline perfectly. Beautiful rendition.

PeaceNHarmony
02-15-2022, 09:14 PM
I'm all about the Thank You album!

JLoveLamar
02-16-2022, 02:46 AM
I just put Last Time I Saw Him in my car today! Looooooove this darn album. I'm trying to decide which song will be the first song I play in my brand new car ��. Not sure it'll be a miss Ross song, but I'm about 40% sure

Ollie9
02-16-2022, 05:58 AM
Your Love Is So Good For Me [[12inch mix) - Love this looser version of the song, with Diana sounding sexy and assured. Might possibly have been a hit if released in 81.

motownlover1964
02-16-2022, 07:47 AM
I pulled out the "Baby It's Me" yesterday. Have always enjoyed since 1977.

Ollie9
02-16-2022, 08:17 AM
I pulled out the "Baby It's Me" yesterday. Have always enjoyed since 1977.

Its a classy affair that has stood the test of time well. Considering it remains a fan favourite, i was most surprised when the expanded version failed to be released as a cd package.
It’s a shame the intended follow up album with Perry was cancelled.

JLoveLamar
02-16-2022, 09:17 AM
Its a classy affair that has stood the test of time well. Considering it remains a fan favourite, i was most surprised when the expanded version failed to be released as a cd package.
It’s a shame the intended follow up album with Perry was cancelled.

This is why I do not have BIM on cd. I hate owning things only in digital. I have to have a physical copy, even if it's a cheap digidisc like LTISH.

Tina Turner's Foreign Affair box set is a wish of mine for Diana

sansradio
02-16-2022, 10:34 AM
The original 12" mix of "The Boss." Fire even 43 years later. Diana/Ashford/Simpson owe us NOTHING.

Ollie9
02-17-2022, 08:29 AM
The original 12" mix of "The Boss." Fire even 43 years later. Diana/Ashford/Simpson owe us NOTHING.

Disco perfection, with that A &S production second to none. As much as i love it, i never thought it the right choice as lead single for the UK.
Diana clearly loves this album, so it’s baffling that other then the soundtrack of The Wiz , they never got together for another album.

sansradio
02-17-2022, 11:01 AM
Disco perfection, with that A &S production second to none. As much as i love it, i never thought it the right choice as lead single for the UK.
Diana clearly loves this album, so it’s baffling that other then the soundtrack of The Wiz , they never got together for another album.

What would your UK lead single choice have been?

Ollie9
02-17-2022, 11:24 AM
What would your UK lead single choice have been?

Without doubt “Its My House”. The song did reasonably well, but by the time it was released as a single had stiff competition from another version. As lead single it could have been a sizeable hit. It’s still remembered fondly even today.
“I Ain't Been Licked” is another contender, but it’s title may have proved a stumbling block. Not quite sure if the term “been licked” originated from the UK or USA?.

Ollie9
02-18-2022, 08:06 AM
Apparently the phrase to lick someone/thing into shape dates back to the Roman era. It is of course widely used as a boxing term.
I’m fairly sure the last time Diana performed “I Ain’t Been Licked” live was in 2004. I always think of it as the hit that never was.

Ollie9
02-27-2022, 07:29 AM
The Answers Always Love - If only.

Jaap
02-27-2022, 08:52 AM
I’m fairly sure the last time Diana performed “I Ain’t Been Licked” live was in 2004. I always think of it as the hit that never was.

Yes, it appeared just briefly in her setlist. Some reviewer, I think it was a Los Angeles newspaper, thought it was a new song and a quite fitting return after those difficult years. I love the 12 inch on the diana deluxe edition. Apparently the song is also a favorite of RuPaul, who used the song on their "sequel" to Mahogany, before they became famous.

Ollie9
02-27-2022, 10:17 AM
Yes, it appeared just briefly in her setlist. Some reviewer, I think it was a Los Angeles newspaper, thought it was a new song and a quite fitting return after those difficult years. I love the 12 inch on the diana deluxe edition. Apparently the song is also a favorite of RuPaul, who used the song on their "sequel" to Mahogany, before they became famous.

It was certainly missing by the time she reached London. “All For One” is another classic song, with its lyrics as much relevant today as ever. Was Central Park” the last time she ever performed it live.?

Ollie9
03-01-2022, 10:25 AM
Mary Wilson - Why Can’t We All Get Along”. Seems rather apt at the mo.

Ollie9
03-02-2022, 06:54 AM
The Force Behind The Power - I know there are some who aren’t bowled over by it, but I think it a brilliant song with powerful lyrics. It sounds as fresh and reverent today as it did in 91.

dickiemint
03-02-2022, 12:33 PM
I think FBTP was her strongest Lp from her return to Motown Years, I loved her Blame it on the Sun

Ollie9
03-04-2022, 07:38 AM
I think FBTP was her strongest Lp from her return to Motown Years, I loved her Blame it on the Sun

The “Force Behind The Power” album is far more pop sounding then either “Take Me Higher” or “EDIAND”. It sold incredibly well across Europe, particularly in the UK.
She also scored further hits with the pop ballads ”Your Love” and “Best Years”. For this reason, perhaps it was a mistake to go more r&b with her next two albums when she had already found a winning formula.

daviddh
03-05-2022, 12:47 PM
if the world would just dance
love this song

nomis
03-20-2022, 11:41 PM
Playing Will Smiths greatest hits CD just heard Diana "Love Hangover" strings and bass sampled in " Freak This"..sounds great !

Ollie9
04-18-2022, 05:07 PM
“In Your Heart” - The song has emerged as my most favourite from the album. Well, at the mo anyway. It’s so meaningful and relaxing sounding. I think it would have done better then “Thank You”. Very much a Diana Ross Song.

Ollie9
04-22-2022, 06:21 AM
Only Love Can Conquer All - I was playing this song only this morning. Its lyrics now more then ever speak for so many during these very troubled times. I would love for her to include the song in her UK concerts.

daviddh
05-17-2022, 04:51 PM
was listening to Supremes #1 cd
this cd has a good sound,...to me

after you
05-17-2022, 04:57 PM
I’m listening to The HDH album her vocals are heaven

nomis
05-17-2022, 06:13 PM
Dance group chaos in the cdb " birthday song " which samples the spoken parts of "ain't no mountain high enough" and a couple of vocal riffs

daviddh
05-19-2022, 06:09 PM
just listenned to the new Turn Up The Sunshine. Love It

Ollie9
05-22-2022, 04:46 AM
Summertime - On a wonderfully sunny morning here in the UK it just seemed the perfect song to play. Arguably one of of Diana’s finest vocal performances, not only for rca, but of her career.

Ollie9
05-26-2022, 04:51 AM
Just In Case - I adore this simple, heartfelt ballad from the “Thank You” set. It’s like a comforting mug of hot chocolate on a cold winters day. I wonder if there’s any chance she might perform it this summer.?.

Ollie9
01-11-2023, 05:34 AM
Your Love Is So Good For Me [[12 inch mix) - Enjoy the free and easy vibe of this joyous mix.
Surprised there aren’t more remixes of the song about.

JLoveLamar
01-11-2023, 06:33 AM
Apparently the phrase to lick someone/thing into shape dates back to the Roman era. It is of course widely used as a boxing term.

I ain't been licked in a while, myself.

I've been listening to EDIAND, RHRAB and LTISH.

lucky2012
01-11-2023, 01:19 PM
I ain't been licked in a while, myself.

I've been listening to EDIAND, RHRAB and LTISH.

Interesting list. None of them mentioned or discussed much here. :) RHRB doesn't get much love here but it's one of my favorites. I think it should have been titled Summertime because the songs and production are so right for a relaxing day at the beach. I really like EDIAND but have to be in a fairly upbeat mood to really listen to it. LTISH is one of my least favorite Ross albums, but I like the expanded edition [[thank you George & co.)

I listen to my own Ross/Supremes playlists every day. The last album I listened to recently was BIM [another favorite]

daviddh
01-11-2023, 07:03 PM
Was listening to Thank You due to the albums Grammy nod.
Silk Elektra got some airplay as well.....
Love Who, love Lies

Ollie9
01-12-2023, 07:32 AM
Interesting list. None of them mentioned or discussed much here. :) RHRB doesn't get much love here but it's one of my favorites. I think it should have been titled Summertime because the songs and production are so right for a relaxing day at the beach. I really like EDIAND but have to be in a fairly upbeat mood to really listen to it. LTISH is one of my least favorite Ross albums, but I like the expanded edition [[thank you George & co.)

I listen to my own Ross/Supremes playlists every day. The last album I listened to recently was BIM [another favorite]

The sheer quality of Diana’s vocals is for me what raises the “RHRAB” album above some of the others, it’s an album i tend to play more in the summer, with its light, breezy tracks seeming to suit that season more.
I share your thoughts regarding “EDIAND”. It’s a really good album, but the sad theme of so many of its songs can lead you to feel a little melancholy. The inspiring “Carry On” being the exception. A lost single methinks.
”LTISH” is of course a mixed bag containing some real gems. “No ones Gonna Be A Fool” would most likely have been a hit single, with the irresistible “Love Me” ranking alongside Diana’s best ballads of the 70’s.

lucky2012
01-12-2023, 11:06 AM
The sheer quality of Diana’s vocals is for me what raises the “RHRAB” album above some of the others, it’s an album i tend to play more in the summer, with its light, breezy tracks seeming to suit that season more.
I share your thoughts regarding “EDIAND”. It’s a really good album, but the sad theme of so many of its songs can lead you to feel a little melancholy. The inspiring “Carry On” being the exception. A lost single methinks.
”LTISH” is of course a mixed bag containing some real gems. “No ones Gonna Be A Fool” would most likely have been a hit single, with the irresistible “Love Me” ranking alongside Diana’s best ballads of the 70’s.

We both appreciate RHRAB's summery qualities. Refreshing! :) I first thought her vocals were a bit breathy, but they totally fit the album. Favorites are It's Hard For Me To Say, Summertime, Selfish One, There Goes My Baby, & Cross My Heart. Shine has grown on me. Shock Waves is the only one I don't play. [Not a fan of her songwriting] :rolleyes:
EDIAND for me is her most soulful album. Hard to listen to but I love her heartfelt vocals. Favorites are Not Over You Yet, Every Day Is a New Day, Until We Meet Again, He Lives in You. Carry On is growing on me.
Love Me is my favorite on LTISH. I like I'll Be Here When You Get Home and I Want To Go Back There Agan on the expanded edition. No One's Gonna Be a Fool forever is growing on me. It might have been a good follow up to Touch Me in The Morning.

Ollie9
01-12-2023, 11:47 AM
We both appreciate RHRAB's summery qualities. Refreshing! :) I first thought her vocals were a bit breathy, but they totally fit the album. Favorites are It's Hard For Me To Say, Summertime, Selfish One, There Goes My Baby, & Cross My Heart. Shine has grown on me. Shock Waves is the only one I don't play. [Not a fan of her songwriting] :rolleyes:
EDIAND for me is her most soulful album. Hard to listen to but I love her heartfelt vocals. Favorites are Not Over You Yet, Every Day Is a New Day, Until We Meet Again, He Lives in You. Carry On is growing on me.
Love Me is my favorite on LTISH. I like I'll Be Here When You Get Home and I Want To Go Back There Agan on the expanded edition. No One's Gonna Be a Fool forever is growing on me. It might have been a good follow up to Touch Me in The Morning.

Agree about “Shockwaves” being yet another one of those awful songs that spoilt so many of her rca albums.I find the rest of “RHR&B pleasant, if a little vanilla at times. Nice to listen to with a glass of something chilled.
Considering how popular Diana was/is in the UK, it’s surprising how both “Last Tine I Saw Him” And the beautiful “Love Me” stalled in the pop 30’s when released as singles.

Jaap
01-13-2023, 07:47 AM
I loved RHR&B when it originally came out, and I still like it a lot, but I do find the music production a bit bland and generic, which is surprising as [most of] the album is produced by Tom Dowd. Perhaps he thought that would be a better fit for Ross's voice. "Shockwaves" is horrible, a Motown parody, prrrrrr....

One of my all-time favorite Ross songs is on LTISH, namely "I Heard A Love Song [But You Never Made a Sound]" -- just LOOOOOVE that song.

Jaap

lucky2012
01-13-2023, 10:40 AM
I loved RHR&B when it originally came out, and I still like it a lot, but I do find the music production a bit bland and generic, which is surprising as [most of] the album is produced by Tom Dowd. Perhaps he thought that would be a better fit for Ross's voice. "Shockwaves" is horrible, a Motown parody, prrrrrr....

One of my all-time favorite Ross songs is on LTISH, namely "I Heard A Love Song [But You Never Made a Sound]" -- just LOOOOOVE that song.

Jaap

I was surprised, too, by Tom Dowd's production. I would have expected the album and album title to reflect his history with Atlantic R&B and Aretha. It might have been a unique and special Ross album.

I also love I Heard A Love Song. I can imagine it as the lead single and title track of the album.

daviddh
01-13-2023, 07:53 PM
There are some gems on Red Hot.

Ollie9
01-15-2023, 05:58 AM
There are some gems on Red Hot.

There are indeed. “Summertime”, “Cross My Heart”, “Hard For Me To Say” And “Shine” being great tracks that still sound fresh today.
Songs not so fond of being the rather limp “Dirty Looks”, “Tell Mama” [[which I don’t think suits Diana’s voice) and the incredibly bland “Shock Waves”.
I wish they had included the quaintly playful “You’ve Got What It Takes” on the album. Perhaps instead of “SW”

daviddh
01-15-2023, 08:04 PM
I likes stranger in paradise

JLoveLamar
01-15-2023, 08:10 PM
SHOCKWAVES is my top 3 favorite songs on RHRAB. I love it so much. I wish they would release the video.

sansradio
01-15-2023, 09:39 PM
Just listened to "Let the Music Play" [alternate mix] from A' Go-Go​ expanded [which, incidentally, I prefer marginally to Dionne's original].

Bluebrock
01-16-2023, 04:27 AM
Diana herself loved the song too. She wanted it to be the 2nd single but was overruled. i still maintain it is one of her great lost hits. She never sounded better. You could tell she believed in this song.

Bluebrock
01-16-2023, 04:31 AM
There are indeed. “Summertime”, “Cross My Heart”, “Hard For Me To Say” And “Shine” being great tracks that still sound fresh today.
Songs not so fond of being the rather limp “Dirty Looks”, “Tell Mama” [[which I don’t think suits Diana’s voice) and the incredibly bland “Shock Waves”.
I wish they had included the quaintly playful “You’ve Got What It Takes” on the album. Perhaps instead of “SW”
It was an uneven album. It contained some of her finest work such as the four gems you mentioned, and it also contained a few absolute stinkers such as shockwaves and Mr Lee. This album could have been an absolute classic with a few adjustments.

sup_fan
01-17-2023, 10:08 AM
Diana herself loved the song too. She wanted it to be the 2nd single but was overruled. i still maintain it is one of her great lost hits. She never sounded better. You could tell she believed in this song.

interesting! the album is so full of high quality songs practically any one could have been a single. except IMO It's My House. it's a very cool song but it rambles. doesn't go anywhere. after the bridge you have that nice solid repeat of the chorus but then it just drifts. it's the weakest [[relatively) song on the album. probably a hot song to grind and dance to on the dance floor but not a radio-friendly single.

If The Boss [[the single) had topped the charts, then i think Licked could have been a good follow up. But i think No One is a bit stronger of a song.

we all know how Diana really REALLY likes those feel-good anthems. frankly to her detriment

daviddh
01-17-2023, 05:15 PM
I think the Boss could be her best album

Bluebrock
01-18-2023, 03:59 AM
I think the Boss could be her best album
It is her very best album in my opinion. Everyone involved in the project was at the top of their game. It really should have been a huge success but Motown had got wind of the fact that she was considering leaving the Company and they did not promote it quite as much as they should have.

Philles/Motown Gary
01-18-2023, 04:38 AM
Like Reese [[above), I just started working my way through each and every one of Diana Ross & The Supremes 2-disc Motown-Select Expanded CD sets. I started with "I Hear A Symphony" last night; tonight it's the "Where Did Our Love Go" set. Tomorrow I'll back up to "Meet The Supremes". Then, caught up, I'll proceed forward in order -- including single-disc-only "Liverpool", "Country", "Sam Cooke", etc. It's amazing what Harry, George, Andy, and Keith accomplished with these fantastic Expanded reisues -- every one of them a Motown collector's dream come true.

Philles/Motown Gary
01-18-2023, 04:41 AM
Like Reese [[above), I just started working my way through each and every one of Diana Ross & The Supremes 2-disc Motown-Select Expanded CD sets. I started with "I Hear A Symphony" last night; tonight it's the "Where Did Our Love Go" set. Tomorrow I'll back up to "Meet The Supremes". Then, caught up, I'll proceed forward in order -- including single-disc-only "Liverpool", "Country", "Sam Cooke", etc. It's amazing what Harry, George, Andy, and Keith accomplished with these fantastic Expanded reisues -- every one of them a Motown collector's dream come true.

Philles/Motown Gary
01-18-2023, 04:42 AM
B]Like Reese [[above), I just started working my way through each and every one of Diana Ross & The Supremes 2-disc Motown-Select Expanded CD sets. I started with "I Hear A Symphony" last night; tonight it's the "Where Did Our Love Go" set. Tomorrow I'll back up to "Meet The Supremes". Then, caught up, I'll proceed forward in order -- including single-disc-only "Liverpool", "Country", "Sam Cooke", etc. It's amazing what Harry, George, Andy, and Keith accomplished with these fantastic Expanded reisues -- every one of them a Motown collector's dream

Philles/Motown Gary
01-18-2023, 04:49 AM

Reese, great minds must run in the same channel! Like you, I just started working my way through each and every one of Diana Ross & The Supremes 2-disc Motown-Select Expanded CD sets. I started with "I Hear A Symphony" last night; tonight it's the "Where Did Our Love Go" set. Tomorrow I'll back up to "Meet The Supremes". Then, once caught up, I'll proceed forward in order -- including single-disc-only "Liverpool", "Country", "Sam Cooke", etc. It's amazing what Harry, George, Andy, and Keith accomplished with those fantastic Expanded reisues -- every one of them a Motown collector's dream come true.

Philles/Motown Gary
01-18-2023, 04:51 AM

Lowell
01-18-2023, 10:45 AM
Administrator test by Lowell. Please ignore.

sup_fan
01-18-2023, 10:58 AM
It is her very best album in my opinion. Everyone involved in the project was at the top of their game. It really should have been a huge success but Motown had got wind of the fact that she was considering leaving the Company and they did not promote it quite as much as they should have.

agree that it really is the most cohesive album, with thoughtful intelligent songs, outstanding production and the strongest vocals by diana. I do wonder if the "disco sucks" movement had anything to do with it underperforming. the big rally/riot in Chicago was in July or Aug of 79, right when this set was really hitting the charts

Ollie9
01-18-2023, 11:42 AM
It was an uneven album. It contained some of her finest work such as the four gems you mentioned, and it also contained a few absolute stinkers such as shockwaves and Mr Lee. This album could have been an absolute classic with a few adjustments.

Seens to be the theme to so many of Diana’s rca albums. I don’t mind “Mr Lee” but it really was a seriously perverse choice for single release. Perhaps the thinking behind it being it might have proved another “WDFFIL”
I’m guessing it remained a UK only release. We’re we being punished for some unknown reason?. :eek:

sup_fan
01-18-2023, 12:28 PM
Seens to be the theme to so many of Diana’s rca albums. I don’t mind “Mr Lee” but it really was a seriously perverse choice for single release. Perhaps the thinking behind it being it might have proved another “WDFFIL”
I’m guessing it remained a UK only release. We’re we being punished for some unknown reason?. :eek:

yeah it's clear Diana really wasn't looking at making significant artistic statements at RCA. seems like she was really just going through the motions "Ok it's time to do another album, what tracks are sitting around? have we received anything new from various producers or writers?"

other than the EA album [[which is dreadful) there was never an attempt to craft a cohesive project. Ross 83 is sort of close with Katz handling the majority of the tunes.

Ollie9
01-18-2023, 01:28 PM
yeah it's clear Diana really wasn't looking at making significant artistic statements at RCA. seems like she was really just going through the motions "Ok it's time to do another album, what tracks are sitting around? have we received anything new from various producers or writers?"

other than the EA album [[which is dreadful) there was never an attempt to craft a cohesive project. Ross 83 is sort of close with Katz handling the majority of the tunes.

I tend to agree. It appeared mostly as to who could provide the hit as opposed to any artistic statement being made. I certainly think it impacted on the way the media and general public came to view her music.
Perhaps she just never possessed the inclination of a Marvin or Stevie as regards album concepts.

sup_fan
01-18-2023, 03:04 PM
I tend to agree. It appeared mostly as to who could provide the hit as opposed to any artistic statement being made. I certainly think it impacted on the way the media and general public came to view her music.
Perhaps she just never possessed the inclination of a Marvin or Stevie as regards album concepts.

fans have talked about how she flipped her wig over Ross 78. how she was really ticked off that they released such a lackluster set. and it's not that 1 producer had to handle the entire album. but that there was a least some general idea or concept. or sound she was focusing on.

sup_fan
01-18-2023, 03:10 PM
and some fans have also mentioned that in the 80s Diana really wasn't focusing on pop charts. her absolute #1 priority was raising her girls and then her marriage to Arne. but she was also going into other business ventures and things so i guess she maybe just viewed recording as table stakes. she just sort of fulfilled her commitments and that's it. her first album was a huge seller [[even if some people think it's less than what she could have done). so she's severed her ties with Berry, produced an album that sold a ton, generated 2 Top 10 hits. and that's that. anything after that was really just icing on the cake

Ollie9
01-18-2023, 05:47 PM
and some fans have also mentioned that in the 80s Diana really wasn't focusing on pop charts. her absolute #1 priority was raising her girls and then her marriage to Arne. but she was also going into other business ventures and things so i guess she maybe just viewed recording as table stakes. she just sort of fulfilled her commitments and that's it. her first album was a huge seller [[even if some people think it's less than what she could have done). so she's severed her ties with Berry, produced an album that sold a ton, generated 2 Top 10 hits. and that's that. anything after that was really just icing on the cake

I think you can be a good parent and still produce worthy albums. Perhaps your right in that other business ventures occupied the time she might have spent being more thoughtful about her music.

Philles/Motown Gary
01-18-2023, 09:39 PM
I just started working my way through all of the 2-disc Diana Ross & The Supremes Motown Select Expanded CD sets. I started randomly with "I Hear A Symphony", followed by "Where Did Our Love Go" Expanded. It was then I decided to honor every Supremes CD in order. Tonight it will be "Meet The Supremes". Then, once caught up, I'll proceed in order with single-disc-only "Liverpool", "Country", "More Hits" Expanded, and "Sam Cooke". It's amazing what Harry, George, Andy, and Keith accomplished with these fantastic Expanded CD reissues -- every one of them a Motown collector's dream come true!

Philles/Motown Gary
01-18-2023, 09:51 PM

I, too, love Diana's "Reach Out I'll Be There" remix on the 1978 "Ross" album. The Motown strings are especially gorgeous in this mix.

sansradio
01-19-2023, 12:12 AM
Listening to the Cream of the Crop ​version of "Blowin' in the Wind."

Jaap
01-19-2023, 03:51 AM
Ross seemed to have a very clear vision of what RHR&B should be about, much more than she had with other albums. She did an interview with, if I remember correctly, Q Music in which she explained how and why she selected the songs. Although not perfect in its execution, the whole RHR&B project -- thus both album and television special -- clearly came out of Ross's studying the history of R&B to such an extent that she had not done before.

Ollie9
01-19-2023, 05:53 AM
Ross seemed to have a very clear vision of what RHR&B should be about, much more than she had with other albums. She did an interview with, if I remember correctly, Q Music in which she explained how and why she selected the songs. Although not perfect in its execution, the whole RHR&B project -- thus both album and television special -- clearly came out of Ross's studying the history of R&B to such an extent that she had not done before.

The albums original concept seems to have been abandoned along the way, resulting in a rather odd mixture of old and new. For me Diana shines best on the newer compositions, making me wish the album had been a separate project altogether, away from the tv special.
At that point in her career she desperately needed a contemporary hit.

Philles/Motown Gary
01-19-2023, 07:36 PM
Enjoying everyone’s picks!

Philles/Motown Gary
01-19-2023, 07:44 PM
Test Test Test Test Test

Bluebrock
01-20-2023, 03:49 AM
The albums original concept seems to have been abandoned along the way, resulting in a rather odd mixture of old and new. For me Diana shines best on the newer compositions, making me wish the album had been a separate project altogether, away from the tv special.
At that point in her career she desperately needed a contemporary hit.
The original concept was to have two albums. One would be basically the soundtrack to the tv special whilst the other album would be a more contemporary offering, This idea was abandoned when it became clear that she would not be re signing with RCA, and it was at that point when tracks from both proposed albums were put together on the one album.

Ollie9
01-20-2023, 07:34 AM
The original concept was to have two albums. One would be basically the soundtrack to the tv special whilst the other album would be a more contemporary offering, This idea was abandoned when it became clear that she would not be re signing with RCA, and it was at that point when tracks from both proposed albums were put together on the one album.

That’s something i never knew that makes perfect sense. I wonder why she didn’t just record a couple more contemporary tunes to round the album out.
Naming the album RHR&B made it an easy target for criticism, with most critics in agreement that while pleasant, the album was far removed from being red hot.
I do recall a sparkling review in Blues & Soul magazine which referred to it as being fresh and timeless.
Rather sadly, uninspired single choices killed any chance it might have had.

Bluebrock
01-21-2023, 03:37 AM
That’s something i never knew that makes perfect sense. I wonder why she didn’t just record a couple more contemporary tunes to round the album out.
Naming the album RHR&B made it an easy target for criticism, with most critics in agreement that while pleasant, the album was far removed from being red hot.
I do recall a sparkling review in Blues & Soul magazine which referred to it as being fresh and timeless.
Rather sadly, uninspired single choices killed any chance it might have had.
I don't think it turned out quite the way she wanted it to! RCA wanted rid of her and she wanted rid of them so neither party made much of an effort to promote it.
Two thoroughly decent albums could have happened had the situation not turned so sour.

Ollie9
02-12-2023, 07:54 AM
Very much enjoyed listening to the ‘Workin Overtime cd yesterday on a longish car journey. Crisp production, passionate vocals and lots to sing along to. I even remembered all the words to each song. :)
Would dearly Love an expanded version, to include all those great remixes.

Ollie9
02-23-2023, 02:08 PM
More and More - I simply adore this ballad from “EA”. Diana sings it in an almost Monroe-esque fashion that perfectly sets the mood of the song.. You can almost here the clink of the champagne glasses in the background.
Favourite line “I finally acquired what other people live on”. Classy stuff.

daviddh
03-04-2023, 03:34 PM
I am currently listening to Diana
Really like the original Chic mix's, especially Friend To Friend.
I have added A few of my favorites from WO to my playlist
paradise
keep On Dancing
say We Can

TNSUN
03-05-2023, 10:00 AM
I think every day I listen to long play mixes of "If the World Just Danced". One day it will be a #1 mix on The Dance Charts. This song is a great workout song.

TNSUN
03-05-2023, 10:03 AM
New remixes of "If the World Just Danced". Just can't get enough. Love this song.

daviddh
03-05-2023, 10:17 AM
I think every day I listen to long play mixes of "If the World Just Danced". One day it will be a #1 mix on The Dance Charts. This song is a great workout song.
totally agree , classic Ross song and imo, best song on the album

TNSUN
03-05-2023, 11:23 AM
"If the World Just Danced" is a song that should be outsourced by the label to formidable dj's and producers for hot new remixes. Bollywood will be calling as their movies end with uptempo songs and a community dance event. When I first heard this song it had the impact of first hearing, "Love Hangover"- a dance classic.

daviddh
03-05-2023, 06:41 PM
I did my own version of Last Time I Saw Him with my favorite
Last time I saw him
Love me
I heard a love song
Stone Liberty
Where did we go wrong
Sorry doesn't always make it right
Funky ol rolls.
Kiss me now.
Want to go back
Let me be the one

TNSUN
03-06-2023, 10:29 PM
"He Lives in You". Sensual beyond words.

lucky2012
03-07-2023, 01:34 PM
I'm In Love Again [inspired by a thread on the Supremes' best harmonies]

Now I'm gonna listen to more More Hits.

Ollie9
03-08-2023, 09:20 AM
"He Lives in You". Sensual beyond words.

I find the song more spiritual then sensual. Along with “Until We Meet Again” and “Carry On”, it definitely has emerged as one of the most memorable songs featured on the album. It made for a refreshing change when used as a show opener.

daviddh
03-22-2023, 05:38 PM
Was listening to The Force Behind The Power.

Heart don't change my mind.
One shining moment
Blame it on the sun
If we hold on together.

Good album

sup_fan
03-22-2023, 06:15 PM

oh wow - that does make more sense. although i wonder if the soundtrack would have done much. i have 0 memory of the tv special at the time. plus as i've mentioned in a few other threads, she was doing too many oldies or oldies-styled songs.

WDFFIL
Sweet nothings
So Close
forever young
rescue me
chain reaction
mr lee
there goes my baby
tell mama
selfish one
battlefield

Bluebrock
03-23-2023, 04:05 AM
oh wow - that does make more sense. although i wonder if the soundtrack would have done much. i have 0 memory of the tv special at the time. plus as i've mentioned in a few other threads, she was doing too many oldies or oldies-styled songs.

WDFFIL
Sweet nothings
So Close
forever young
rescue me
chain reaction
mr lee
there goes my baby
tell mama
selfish one
battlefield
Not sure why she loved recording retro sounds during this period. Perhaps she wasn't too impressed with the current crop of songwriters. It's amazing that she turned down Islands in the stream and the chance to work closely with Daryl Hall and Michael Mcdonald who both offered more songs for her consideration.

Albator
03-23-2023, 06:20 AM
"More and more" sublimates the actress who is in Diana. And that last note!

"Love on the line". Really like this one and she delivers a fierce, passionate performance on it.

sup_fan
03-23-2023, 09:36 AM
"More and more" sublimates the actress who is in Diana. And that last note!

"Love on the line". Really like this one and she delivers a fierce, passionate performance on it.

i so want to like More but her breathy, wispy vocals just drives me crazy. I think it's a wonderful potential song - a very modern jazz number.

Love on the line is a good song as is Teacher. what i don't like is the combination of DR vocals and the Gibb's falsettos. IMO it's not a good mix and that's a major problem with the album.

Bluebrock
03-23-2023, 12:05 PM
i so want to like More but her breathy, wispy vocals just drives me crazy. I think it's a wonderful potential song - a very modern jazz number.

Love on the line is a good song as is Teacher. what i don't like is the combination of DR vocals and the Gibb's falsettos. IMO it's not a good mix and that's a major problem with the album.
I still enjoy the album with the notable exception of the ghastly title track but i do concede it could have been better. Barry needed more time to mix the album but was not allowed to do so.

Albator
03-24-2023, 03:39 AM

No way to like EA if you don't like Barry's falsettos. I think he is doing ALL background vocals on the album, except for EA where he shares with others. It's almost a featuring.

it used to really bother me but now I'v made peace with that and I enjoy it. Diana had to sing differently, had to phrase differently and that's very interesting and rewarding in the end.

I like the epic quality of "don't give up on each other" and how she build the climax with her voice. She did it much better than Dionne IMO

TNSUN
03-24-2023, 08:16 AM
Expanded CD Edition of the unreleased album, "There's A Place Us".This collection is the perfect joyous music for Friday's early evening Happy Hour Party! The musical arrangements and vocals simulate a live cabaret show !

daviddh
03-25-2023, 08:58 AM
I still enjoy the album with the notable exception of the ghastly title track but i do concede it could have been better. Barry needed more time to mix the album but was not allowed to do so.
i think this would make a great expanded edition to have ,disc 1 original ,disc 2 remixed version.

Bluebrock
03-26-2023, 03:40 AM
i think this would make a great expanded edition to have ,disc 1 original ,disc 2 remixed version.
I agree and i honestly think Barry would be up for doing it if he was given the chance.

sup_fan
03-27-2023, 09:58 AM
No way to like EA if you don't like Barry's falsettos. I think he is doing ALL background vocals on the album, except for EA where he shares with others. It's almost a featuring.

it used to really bother me but now I'v made peace with that and I enjoy it. Diana had to sing differently, had to phrase differently and that's very interesting and rewarding in the end.

I like the epic quality of "don't give up on each other" and how she build the climax with her voice. She did it much better than Dionne IMO

and it's not that i dislike the Bee Gees. i like their music a lot. and i like Barry duetting with Barbra on Guilty too. but it just seems as though the EA combination wasn't one i cared for. even when not in falsetto, Barry has a nasal tone to his voice. I don't know if nasal is the term i'd use for Barbra but of course her voice is most certainly unique. still, together the two work well

for some reason, DR and Barry just doesn't work for me

daviddh
04-03-2023, 07:09 PM
been listening to the supremes #1s
and Supremes at their best

Ollie9
04-14-2023, 07:26 AM
Goin’ Back - My favourite version of this classic song. Diana brings a wistful vulnerability to the song found sometimes lacking on other versions.
Guy Chambers does a good job as producer, adding an almost gospel touch to the proceedings. I wish Diana had recorded it for “Every Day Is A New Day”.

Albator
04-16-2023, 11:38 AM
I'm listening to Eaten Alive again.
This song certainly doesn't deserve the stream of insults it usually gets.
It has aged quite well and despite the cacophony of sound and effects, you can hear Diana's tone and her wonderful flow of words, whether it makes sense or not.
Ok, it's not a masterpiece but it's rather better than this soup of Lovin', Livin' and Givin'.

I would be curious to listen the original mix, before Jackson did the remix.

By the way this shows that they plenty of time to mix it the way they wanted to and to do it again.

Ollie9
05-05-2023, 09:51 AM
Keep An Eye - 1968/1970

Adore both versions of this song, but prefer Diana’s slightly more assertive vocal from 70.
Both albums are absolute gems.

daviddh
05-06-2023, 09:49 AM
Have to relisten to both. But I always preferred the LC version....always thought it could have been a single

Ollie9
05-06-2023, 05:27 PM
Little Miss Loser - Terrific early vocal performance from Diana on this wonderfully haunting bluesy number.

daviddh
05-13-2023, 10:32 AM
once again supremes sing hdh ,so many here,,,
boucing back from baby its me and thank you

Ollie9
06-06-2023, 07:28 AM
“All For One” -Great lyrics that most can relate to. For this reason, might have provided the album with the mega hit it so needed. It’s certainly a song Diana and fans took to their hearts, so why not everyone?.

Albator
06-11-2023, 11:55 AM
I'm listening this for one month now. First time I'm mixing EA songs with others

Too Many nights
if you'r not gonna love me right
Gone
Let Somebody Know
Only Love Can Conquer all
Tenderness [Original CHIC Mix]
Oh Teacher
Have Fun Again [Original CHIC Mix]
Love On The Line
Now That You're Gone [Original CHIC Mix]
Love Being in Love With You
Telephone
Tenderness
Now that you'r gone
Have Fun

Ollie9
06-11-2023, 01:33 PM
I’ve Got A Crush On You - Diana’s voice sounds far more vibrant on this duet with Rod then most of the songs on the “I Love You” album. Was it actually recorded in 2005?.