PDA

View Full Version : Sang in background, then recorded their own version

test

lockhartgary
12-12-2020, 11:21 AM
Hi all,
One of my favorite Marvin Gaye songs is "Try It Baby". As you all know, the Temptations are singing background on this song. Later, the Temptations [[along with DRATS) did their own version of the song.

So, what other songs can you think of [[unreleased songs count) that an artist or artists sang background on but then later did their own version? Another would be "Can I Get a Witness", which was recorded by Marvin Gaye [[with the Supremes in the Background), which was the later recorded by the Supremes.

reese
12-12-2020, 12:48 PM
HITCH HIKE - Martha and the Vandellas sang on Marvin Gaye's original, then used the same track with a new Martha lead for their DANCE PARTY album.

MICKEY'S MONKEY - Supposedly at least one Supreme is on the Miracles' original. They later recorded a version that went unreleased for many years.

EVERYBODY NEEDS LOVE - I think the Tempts sang background for Mary Wells' version, and used the same track for their own version.

splanky
12-13-2020, 08:44 AM
This strikes me as an interesting topic for a thread. I've often been fascinated by occurrences like that. Michael Henderson first wrote, produced and sang an uncredited
background on The Dramatics Be My Girl then covered his own song on his solo album.
Minnie Riperton sang backup on Stevie Wonder's Creepin" and later covered it herself. It's
become something of a standard since then like so many of Stevie's tunes...

sansradio
12-13-2020, 09:05 AM
This strikes me as an interesting topic for a thread. I've often been fascinated by occurrences like that. Michael Henderson first wrote, produced and sang an uncredited
background on The Dramatics Be My Girl then covered his own song on his solo album.
Minnie Riperton sang backup on Stevie Wonder's Creepin" and later covered it herself. It's
become something of a standard since then like so many of Stevie's tunes...

I didn’t know that Minnie recorded “Creepin’” solo. Was it officially released?

splanky
12-13-2020, 09:27 AM
I didn’t know that Minnie recorded “Creepin’” solo. Was it officially released?

I thought, imagined or hallucentated she did, my bad, obviously I cannot blame it on youth
so let's go for aging brain wax....LOL!...

sansradio
12-13-2020, 01:11 PM
I thought, imagined or hallucentated she did, my bad, obviously I cannot blame it on youth
so let's go for aging brain wax....LOL!...

That’s a riot. I was about to say, “I thought my Minnie game was strong!” LOL!

Jumping eras and possibly genres, was Mariah in the background of the record “I Still Believe” by Brenda K. Starr? I know she sang bg for her, but not sure if she recorded with her. If so, her cover would count.

reese
12-13-2020, 03:34 PM
Jumping eras and possibly genres, was Mariah in the background of the record “I Still Believe” by Brenda K. Starr? I know she sang bg for her, but not sure if she recorded with her. If so, her cover would count.

Mariah began working for Brenda after I STLL BELIEVE. In fact, Mariah auditioned for Brenda by singing that song.

Note: I'm currently reading Mariah's book. :D

sansradio
12-13-2020, 04:30 PM
Mariah began working for Brenda after I STLL BELIEVE. In fact, Mariah auditioned for Brenda by singing that song.

Note: I'm currently reading Mariah's book. :D

Gotcha! I knew you’d come through, reese!😁

brothadc
12-13-2020, 08:09 PM
HITCH HIKE - Martha and the Vandellas sang on Marvin Gaye's original, then used the same track with a new Martha lead for their DANCE PARTY album.

MICKEY'S MONKEY - Supposedly at least one Supreme is on the Miracles' original. They later recorded a version that went unreleased for many years.

EVERYBODY NEEDS LOVE - I think the Tempts sang background for Mary Wells' version, and used the same track for their own version.

Actually the track on the Temptations' "Everybody Needs Love" is not the same track as Mary Wells' version.