PDA

View Full Version : "This Christmas" Turns 50; New Video Celebrates Song & Chicago

test

mr_june
12-10-2020, 10:57 AM
Chicago Sun-Times-December 10, 2020

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2020/12/9/22166092/donny-hathaway-this-christmas-50th-anniversary-new-video-chicago-holidays

PeaceNHarmony
12-10-2020, 08:35 PM
Wow. Quite a shock. Beautiful song & far superior to that Mariah Carey tune I truly wish to never hear again as long as I live and breath. Thanks for finding this article -

Bluebrock
12-11-2020, 03:28 AM
Wow. Quite a shock. Beautiful song & far superior to that Mariah Carey tune I truly wish to never hear again as long as I live and breath. Thanks for finding this article -
It is a wonderful song that has seemingly been covered by every man and his dog over the past 40 years or so, but i also love the Mariah tune too. It's a happy feel good tune which is just what we need in these dark dismal times. Spread some love. Spread some joy. Spread some peace and harmony P&H!!!

Guy
12-11-2020, 11:59 AM
I was born and raised in Chicago. I never knew a time when "This Christmas" was not the most ubiquitous song of the Christmas season. The revelation in the article is that it didn't become a "widespread favorite" until 1991.

reese
12-11-2020, 01:12 PM
I was born and raised in Chicago. I never knew a time when "This Christmas" was not the most ubiquitous song of the Christmas season. The revelation in the article is that it didn't become a "widespread favorite" until 1991.

That line in the article stuck out to me as well. I wonder why they came to that conclusion?

Since the 70s, that record has been played in my house every holiday season. I would venture to say that along with his duets with Roberta, THIS CHRISTMAS is probably one of Donny's most loved recordings. Long before 1991, artists like Diana, Patti, and Gladys [[and others I'm sure) had done remakes.