PDA

View Full Version : The Supremes – Silent Night [[Featuring: Florence Ballard)

test

blackguy69
12-08-2020, 09:20 PM
https://youtu.be/JB4WCIH1f0Y

thanxal
12-10-2020, 10:31 PM
BG, did you mean to link this or the duet version?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_xTi33rqxw
This is in my Christmas playlist and I've had many people stop me to ask about it when I play it at parties. They are often surprised when I tell them what group she was with.

thanxal
12-10-2020, 10:53 PM
And this is equally moving. I don't have this in my playlist as much, but I dearly love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfiuMFNEeIY
I know a lot of people say "Florence was just loud", but I give her the benefit of the doubt and think had she had the appropriate attention paid to her through vocal training, she could have gone much, much further in her career. IMHO.

RanRan79
12-11-2020, 01:24 PM
I know a lot of people say "Florence was just loud", but I give her the benefit of the doubt and think had she had the appropriate attention paid to her through vocal training, she could have gone much, much further in her career. IMHO.

I don't understand this "loud" business. Someone posted not long ago that they aren't a fan of Flo's voice and implied that those who are, are fans because Flo is "loud". Like wtf? The lady could sing. She was a talented vocalist. The three originals started out with natural, raw talent. Such has to be cultivated, and the fact is that Diana was given that kind of attention that allowed her to grow from the girlish voice on "Tears Of Sorrow" to the mature songstress of "Someday We'll Be Together", while the other two weren't. Plus with such sporadic lead vocal work, it's hard to judge Flo and Mary against Diana, most of the time. But damn, loud? Really? I know people who can't sing for shit, but can certainly do whatever it is rather loudly.:p It's such an odd, and dare I say, bullshit, criticism. When Marvin Gaye calls you a "hell of a singer", me thinks "loud" has nothing to do with it. Rant over.:cool:

RanRan79
12-11-2020, 01:26 PM
Oh, and I agree about "Oh Holy Night". I'm not a big fan of Flo's "Silent Night", nice as it is. But oh boy, her "Oh Holy Night" is something to hear.

BobbyC
12-11-2020, 02:43 PM
Well "loud" is just another term for projecting. I don't see this as bad, since I've seen Patti Labelle and Mary Wilson sing to auditoriums full of people without a mic.

floyjoy678
12-11-2020, 02:57 PM
I don't understand this "loud" business. Someone posted not long ago that they aren't a fan of Flo's voice and implied that those who are, are fans because Flo is "loud". Like wtf? The lady could sing. She was a talented vocalist. The three originals started out with natural, raw talent. Such has to be cultivated, and the fact is that Diana was given that kind of attention that allowed her to grow from the girlish voice on "Tears Of Sorrow" to the mature songstress of "Someday We'll Be Together", while the other two weren't. Plus with such sporadic lead vocal work, it's hard to judge Flo and Mary against Diana, most of the time. But damn, loud? Really? I know people who can't sing for shit, but can certainly do whatever it is rather loudly.:p It's such an odd, and dare I say, bullshit, criticism. When Marvin Gaye calls you a "hell of a singer", me thinks "loud" has nothing to do with it. Rant over.:cool:

Agreed. Diana and Martha have also said Flo had an incredible voice.

TNSUN
12-12-2020, 04:15 PM
Thank you Florence Ballard, in heaven, for upon this earth, your angelic and beautiful voice takes me to church. Bravo!