PDA

View Full Version : Your least favorite Diana Ross albums.

test

Bluebrock
12-02-2020, 03:29 PM
Here's a new thread which will hopefully prove to be entertaining and enjoyable.
What are your least favorite Diana Ross studio albums? I have excluded live albums, compilations and soundtrack albums, but you can include them if you wish.
Here are my five in order of awfulness.
1. I love you.
2. Workin' overtime.
3. Why do fools fall in love.
4. Silk Electric.
5. Last time i saw him.

Hope Diana doesn't read this otherwise i shall be on santa's naughty list!

Over to you guys....

Albator
12-02-2020, 03:49 PM
1. Why do fools fall in love.
2. Workin' overtime.
3. Last time i saw him.
4. I love you.
5. Eaten Alive

reese
12-02-2020, 04:07 PM
1) Eaten Alive
2) Silk Electric
3) Workin' Overtime
4) Last Time I Saw Him
5) Ross [[1983)

daviddh
12-02-2020, 04:24 PM
I love you
Last time I saw him
Why do fools fall in love
Dr live 1978
Workin overtime

sup_fan
12-02-2020, 04:34 PM
Eaten Alive
WO
I Love You
Ross 78
Everything is Everything

and a [[dis)honorable raspberry to Greatest Hits Live from 1989

gordy_hunk
12-02-2020, 06:14 PM
Focusing only on Motown releases

Baby it's me
Diana! TV Soundtrack
Diana live

Ollie9
12-02-2020, 06:26 PM
In order....

1. Greatest Hits Live. Should never have seen the light of day.
2. Silk Electric. With the exception of “Muscles”and “Love Lies” just awful.
3. Why Do Fools Fall In Love. Soulless. “Mirror Mirror” and WTB saved the day
4. Last Time I Saw Him. Uneven jumble with better tracks left off.
5. Ross 78. Some decent songs, but overall a shoddy package.

I Love You came pretty close. Though badly produced, it has a certain simple charm about it.

jobeterob
12-02-2020, 07:24 PM
1. Workin Overtime
2. Silk Electric
3. Greatest Hits Live
4. Diana! Soundtrack
5. Ross 78

I don't mind I Love You and like some of Why Do Fools, Last Time I Saw Him, and Everything is Everything.

Roberta75
12-02-2020, 07:33 PM
Working Overtime
Greatest Hits Live
Last Time I saw Him
Mahogany Soundtrack
Silk Electric.

lucky2012
12-02-2020, 08:16 PM
1. Working Overtime
2. Silk Electric
3. Eaten Alive
4. Everything Is Everything
5. Last Time I Saw Him

Like Ollie9, I rarely listen to I Love You but I'm glad we have it. For me, it does have a significance and charm.

JohnnyB
12-02-2020, 09:53 PM
1. Working Overtime
2. Silk Electric
3. Eaten Alive
4. Everything Is Everything
5. Last Time I Saw Him

Like Ollie9, I rarely listen to I Love You but I'm glad we have it. For me, it does have a significance and charm.

1. Diana! [[Original Soundtrack)
2. Greatest Hits Live
3. Workin’ Overtime

captainjames
12-02-2020, 09:56 PM
hard to do - each time I pick one I find something I like.

sansradio
12-02-2020, 10:07 PM
5. I Love You
4. I Love You
3. I Love You
2. I Love You
1. I Love You

HONORABLE MENTION: I Love You :p

Guy
12-02-2020, 10:32 PM
Marv would have loved this discussion. :[[

thanxal
12-02-2020, 11:38 PM
5. I Love You
4. I Love You
3. I Love You
2. I Love You
1. I Love You

HONORABLE MENTION: I Love You :p
Sans,
Can I assume you really don't like I Love You? Just a wild guess on my part.

Bluebrock
12-03-2020, 03:18 AM
Marv would have loved this discussion. :[[
Yes he would. He would have picked 25 rather than just 5!

djessie
12-03-2020, 07:18 AM
The only Diana album I just don´t like is Workin´Overtime.

Following that [[and focusing only on studio albums) I would say Ross '78.
As for I Love You, the production let´s the album down but I still enjoy it for the most part. When it comes to Last Time I Saw Him I have to say I really enjoy that album and I never really understood why so many fans don´t like it.

The RCA albums are uneven to say the least but I still enjoy every one of them.

sansradio
12-03-2020, 09:59 AM
Sans,
Can I assume you really don't like I Love You? Just a wild guess on my part.

Now, what on earth would make you think that? :D

SatansBlues
12-03-2020, 11:33 AM
1. Eaten Alive
2. Eaten Alive
3. Eaten Alive
4. Eaten Alive
5. Eaten Alive

Honorable Mention: Eaten Alive

supremesouluk2
12-03-2020, 12:55 PM
Ross '83.
Working Overtime
and for some reasons I have never been able to get into Every Day Is A New Day

sup_fan
12-03-2020, 01:44 PM
Blue - i suggest with these polls you've started that you summarize the results for us after a few days. :)

Bluebrock
12-03-2020, 04:55 PM
Blue - i suggest with these polls you've started that you summarize the results for us after a few days. :)

Sounds like a plan. It's fascinating to read other fans choices as favorites and least favorites

sup_fan
12-03-2020, 05:49 PM
there is some sort of weird "polling" feature here on the forum but i wasn't ever able to figure it out.

Maybe Ralph can provide a tutorial lol

mowsville
12-03-2020, 06:20 PM
1. I Love You
2. Last Time I Saw Him
3. Greatest Hits Live
4. Workin Overtime
5. Diana TV Soundtrack

jobeterob
12-03-2020, 07:41 PM
I Love You has "Lovely Day". With a song like that, how can the album make a worst list?

Eaten Alive has Chain Reaction and Love on the Line. So it shouldn't be on the list. Isn't Chain Reaction her biggest world wide hit?

Yes, I know commercial success doesn't mean good but these are good songs. I think

sup_fan
12-03-2020, 11:02 PM
I Love You has "Lovely Day". With a song like that, how can the album make a worst list?

Eaten Alive has Chain Reaction and Love on the Line. So it shouldn't be on the list. Isn't Chain Reaction her biggest world wide hit?

Yes, I know commercial success doesn't mean good but these are good songs. I think

i'd label Chain and LOTL as decent, if not good songs. And even though Chain was a huge hit, it never really did much for me. I find it an anomaly of the EA album. you can actually hear and understand Diana's vocals and her vocals are not buried in the mix. it's almost like a different producer handled it and they slapped it on the album a la I Guess I'll Miss The Man on the JW set.

Love on the line is one of the stronger tracks on the album but that isn't saying much. the production of Diana's vocals is all wrong but at least not as terrible as other tunes

copley
12-03-2020, 11:06 PM
Everything after she left Motown!

TheMotownManiac
12-04-2020, 02:18 AM
Here's a new thread which will hopefully prove to be entertaining and enjoyable.
What are your least favorite Diana Ross studio albums? I have excluded live albums, compilations and soundtrack albums, but you can include them if you wish.
Here are my five in order of awfulness.
1. I love you.
2. Workin' overtime.
3. Why do fools fall in love.
4. Silk Electric.
5. Last time i saw him.

Hope Diana doesn't read this otherwise i shall be on santa's naughty list!

Over to you guys....

1 I Love You
2 Ross 83
3 Red Hot Rhythm and Blues
4 Greatest Hits Live
5 Diana TV Soundtrack

if only studio albums,
4 Why Do Fools
5 Workin Overtime

Bluebrock
12-04-2020, 03:10 AM
i'd label Chain and LOTL as decent, if not good songs. And even though Chain was a huge hit, it never really did much for me. I find it an anomaly of the EA album. you can actually hear and understand Diana's vocals and her vocals are not buried in the mix. it's almost like a different producer handled it and they slapped it on the album a la I Guess I'll Miss The Man on the JW set.

Love on the line is one of the stronger tracks on the album but that isn't saying much. the production of Diana's vocals is all wrong but at least not as terrible as other tunes
Chain Reaction was the final cut to be recorded. It was almost an after thought according to Barry Gibb; so in a way you are correct when you claim it sounds like they slapped it on the album!

Ollie9
12-06-2020, 07:38 AM
Chain Reaction was the final cut to be recorded. It was almost an after thought according to Barry Gibb; so in a way you are correct when you claim it sounds like they slapped it on the album!

Im surprised so many fans appear to dislike the album so much. I certainly don’t regard it as a DR classic, but consider it a solid effort.
Although “I’m Watching You” is a pretty song, what the album really lacks is a killer ballad. MJ’s “I Just Can’t Stop Loving You” would have been perfect for this album.
It’s interesting that “Chain Reaction” was the last songs recorded for the project as her voice sound rejuvenated on the track when compared to some of the other songs. More the Diana Ross sound fans are used to.

Bluebrock
12-06-2020, 08:43 AM
Im surprised so many fans appear to dislike the album so much. I certainly don’t regard it as a DR classic, but consider it a solid effort.
Although “I’m Watching You” is a pretty song, what the album really lacks is a killer ballad. MJ’s “I Just Can’t Stop Loving You” would have been perfect for this album.
It’s interesting that “Chain Reaction” was the last songs recorded for the project as her voice sound rejuvenated on the track when compared to some of the other songs. More the Diana Ross sound fans are used to.

Agree with you Ollie. It's not a classic Gibb production in the bracket of Guilty or Heartbreaker, but it was a solid effort with the notable exception of the ghastly title track. I rarely play it, but when i do i always enjoy it. I still think Crimes of Passion is the lost hit from this project. It should have been the UK follow up to Chain Reaction and would have been had i been in charge.

Ollie9
12-06-2020, 11:21 AM
Agree with you Ollie. It's not a classic Gibb production in the bracket of Guilty or Heartbreaker, but it was a solid effort with the notable exception of the ghastly title track. I rarely play it, but when i do i always enjoy it. I still think Crimes of Passion is the lost hit from this project. It should have been the UK follow up to Chain Reaction and would have been had i been in charge.

I play the expanded cd occasionally and still enjoy it. The icy 80’s production of course is of its time.
Personally I don’t think there were any more major hits to be had off the album. After the huge success of “CR”, perhaps a re-promotion of “Eaten Alive” might have worked. It did chart very well all across Europe after all, so it must have had something.
My own choice would have been “I Love Being In Love With You” which possesses a little more oomph then the diluted “Experience”.

daviddh
12-06-2020, 01:15 PM
I wonder if.....the track list was altered....
1.chain reaction
2 teacher
3 experience
4 more and more
5 crimes of passion
6 love being in love with you
7 love on the line
8 im watching you
9 eaten alive

Chain reaction first single..
Crimes of passion. 2nd single
I'm watching you 3 rd single
I think the album was a bit to more soulful than I would have liked

SatansBlues
12-06-2020, 01:20 PM
I wonder if.....the track list was altered....
1.chain reaction
2 teacher
3 experience
4 more and more
5 crimes of passion
6 love being in love with you
7 love on the line
8 im watching you
9 eaten alive

Chain reaction first single..
Crimes of passion. 2nd single
I'm watching you 3 rd single
I think the album was a bit to more soulful than I would have liked

I think the album was devoid of any soul in DR's voice. And altering the track listing would have been tantamount to rearranging the deck chair on the Titantic to save it. It still wouldn't have made this abomination any better.

Bluebrock
12-06-2020, 01:20 PM
I play the expanded cd occasionally and still enjoy it. The icy 80’s production of course is of its time.
Personally I don’t think there were any more major hits to be had off the album. After the huge success of “CR”, perhaps a re-promotion of “Eaten Alive” might have worked. It did chart very well all across Europe after all, so it must have had something.
My own choice would have been “I Love Being In Love With You” which possesses a little more oomph then the diluted “Experience”.

Experience was a huge mistake. It's a lovely song but never a major hit single. How i wish i had been Diana's Manager in the 80's. She would have been an absolute nightmare to work with, but i reckon i would have been up to the task. I am not speaking with the benefit of hindsight. I knew some of the decisions made were crazy at the time. It was so frustrating being a fan who wanted to be much more than just a fan back then.

drlorne
12-06-2020, 05:52 PM
I agree, Crimes of Passion had hit written all over it. It's a bit muddy, and could have been remastered, I think. But it had great parts to it.

Ollie9
12-06-2020, 06:02 PM
I agree, Crimes of Passion had hit written all over it. It's a bit muddy, and could have been remastered, I think. But it had great parts to it.

The songs ok, but I can hardly understand a word she is singing. I can’t help thinking this may have held it back a ‘tad.

sup_fan
12-06-2020, 06:30 PM
The songs ok, but I can hardly understand a word she is singing. I can’t help thinking this may have held it back a ‘tad.

that was a problem with much of the album. the way her vocals were produced. we all know Diana Ross knows how to enunciate. but when the vocal track is so enveloped in echo and mixed so far back it's a struggle.

Ollie9
12-07-2020, 06:35 AM
that was a problem with much of the album. the way her vocals were produced. we all know Diana Ross knows how to enunciate. but when the vocal track is so enveloped in echo and mixed so far back it's a struggle.

I know you don’t care much for the EA album sup, but on occasion it’s much to do with the approach. This is what I recommend....
1. Spread a generous helping of duck foie gras onto some well cooked toast.
2. Pour yourself a generous glass of Merlot.
3. Set your music system to skip the first EA track.
4. Sit back in your favourite armchair and let the music gently wash over you.
You will be astonished at how different it now sounds. :cool:

PeaceNHarmony
12-07-2020, 06:53 AM
... hasn't yet been recorded!

Bluebrock
12-07-2020, 09:17 AM
Everything after she left Motown!

Ha ha. You do have a point!

sup_fan
12-07-2020, 12:13 PM
I know you don’t care much for the EA album sup, but on occasion it’s much to do with the approach. This is what I recommend....

haha - i do agree with you that many of the songs had strong potential. and even the dated 80s sound doesn't put me off. happy to listen to an album from a different time and era and appreciate it in that context.

I don't know if any of the songs are as magical as things Barry did earlier or things Diana recorded earlier. but i agree. the majority of the problems are in the execution

Bluebrock
12-07-2020, 03:00 PM

Ha ha. I will have to try that ploy with Why do fools and Silk Electric! Will your suggestion work for that pair of clunkers Ollie?

Ollie9
12-09-2020, 06:31 AM
Ha ha. I will have to try that ploy with Why do fools and Silk Electric! Will your suggestion work for that pair of clunkers Ollie?

I think it might require something a little more radical then a smidge of duck pate and a glass of red lol.

Bluebrock
12-09-2020, 08:59 AM
I think it might require something a little more radical then a smidge of duck pate and a glass of red lol.
I am thinking two crates of red each containing 12 bottles as a starter, and then maybe raid a Brewery for the main course.
I would like to think all that alcohol would dull the senses sufficiently to make the music sound at least half listenable! Lol.

TNSUN
12-13-2020, 04:27 PM
My least favorite produced album by song sequence would be the soundtrack to "Lady Sings The Blues". Diana Ross' vocals are spectacular!

The dialogue scenes and instrumental breaks seem to interfere with her honey toned vocals.

Bluebrock
12-13-2020, 05:48 PM
My least favorite produced album by song sequence would be the soundtrack to "Lady Sings The Blues". Diana Ross' vocals are spectacular!

The dialogue scenes and instrumental breaks seem to interfere with her honey toned vocals.
I would love this album to be repackaged without the dialogue, and with additional music. I always thought the dialogue interrupted the flow of the album.

drlorne
12-13-2020, 05:57 PM
I Love You
Workin Overtime
Last Time I saw Him
Ross '78

markdtiller
12-17-2020, 04:26 AM
1. I Love You
2. Why Do Fools Fall In love.
3. Eaten Alive
4. Silk Electric
5. Every Day Is A New Day

carlo
12-17-2020, 02:51 PM

I agree with you on that!

I think if I had to list something, I'd say the Diana! TV Soundtrack, only for the reason that there's some unnecessary tracks on there from the skits and such. I also don't love the Lady Sings the Blues soundtrack for that same reason, as I don't love the dialogue pieces that were included, but obviously it was a different time and they were including those segments to 'tell the story' through music. The music itself is amazing.

The only songs Diana has ever recorded that I don't 100% love are "Shockwaves" and "We Are the Children of the World". However, they have grown on me over the years lol.

vgalindo
12-18-2020, 04:10 AM
I agree. I can’t list any. There is something that I love on all of her albums.

nomis
12-18-2020, 08:15 AM
cant believe how many thumbs down for Eaten Alive - i iove that album ones i didnt -

Baby its Me
I Love You
greatest hits live

Bluebrock
12-18-2020, 09:41 AM
cant believe how many thumbs down for Eaten Alive - i iove that album ones i didnt -

Baby its Me
I Love You
greatest hits live

I like Eaten Alive too, but i am very surprised you dislike Baby it's Me. It's in my top 3 Ross albums, but i find it most interesting when fellow fans dislike something that i love.
If you don't mind my asking what is it you dislike about Baby it's Me?

nomis
12-18-2020, 10:10 AM
Hi Bluebrock..for me all the tracks are missing that certain indefinable ross quality to me either the chorus hooks the lyrics and music all are missing that something that makes a hit diana song all parts are there.. for me there is no dynamite or tender vulnrability..it as a whole dosent stand up to whats shes done before then straight away after - The Boss ive never had any connection with anything on baby its me..by the way Bluebrock i find your posts and information fascinating that you share on this forum...much respect

Guy
12-18-2020, 10:28 AM
Hi Bluebrock..for me all the tracks are missing that certain indefinable ross quality to me either the chorus hooks the lyrics and music all are missing that something that makes a hit diana song all parts are there.. for me there is no dynamite or tender vulnrability..it as a whole dosent stand up to whats shes done before then straight away after - The Boss ive never had any connection with anything on baby its me..by the way Bluebrock i find your posts and information fascinating that you share on this forum...much respect

Interesting. I would say "Too Shy To Say" is the very height of Ross's "tender vulnerability." I appreciate that we can all hear something different when she sings.

nomis
12-18-2020, 10:39 AM
"we are the children of the world.."..i..i...just cant..havent heard it in decades and never want to what was she thinking ??? and she even made a promo video for it !!..I love most of "Swept Away" but that i cant even call it a song is dire im getting cold sweats even thinking of it...oh my word

lucky2012
12-18-2020, 10:46 AM

Baby, It's Me is a favorite Ross album but I remember a review upon its release [[Rolling Stone, I believe, so who cares[[?!)) that called it "anemic". Lol. I loved the album, but I could understand the reviewer's opinion. I think it was because the album was a step even further towards Pop, with an outside producer.

sup_fan
12-18-2020, 11:21 AM
Baby, It's Me is a favorite Ross album but I remember a review upon its release [[Rolling Stone, I believe, so who cares[[?!)) that called it "anemic". Lol. I loved the album, but I could understand the reviewer's opinion. I think it was because the album was a step even further towards Pop, with an outside producer.

as an album by itself, it's quite strong. within the overall Ross discography, it stands up well as a cohesive work with excellent vocals

but as an album released in fall of 77, it is anemic. within just a month or two, Saturday Night Fever was released and the music there was so powerful. But remember - 2 SNF tracks were repeats from earlier Bee Gee efforts. Jive Talking and You Should Be Dancing. And look at the amazing work Donna was putting out. BIM was either 2 years too late or 4 years too early. it would have worked beautifully in either 75 or 81. and frankly i don't think you would have had to change 1 thing for the album to work in either of those years. not updates, revisions or anything

also i will say that the EE of BIM and the modern mixes were really amazing. especially the string intro on Getting Ready For Love. talk about adding some excitement to a recording!!!! perhaps if more of the instrumentals were left intact, there would have been a bit more power to the album in 77

reese
12-18-2020, 12:18 PM
also i will say that the EE of BIM and the modern mixes were really amazing. especially the string intro on Getting Ready For Love. talk about adding some excitement to a recording!!!! perhaps if more of the instrumentals were left intact, there would have been a bit more power to the album in 77

BABY IT'S ME has been one of my favorite Diana albums since the day I bought it in 1977.

I will say though that the remix of GETTIN' READY FOR LOVE that was first heard on her 1983 ANTHOLOGY was a great improvement on the original release.

Bluebrock
12-18-2020, 01:03 PM

Thank you for your kinds words and thank you for your honest and personal appraisal of Baby it's me. I love to hear other people's points of view and to learn why they have totally different opinions to my own. Of course we all believe our own opinions to be superior to other differing opinions. I strongly disagree with your opinion on Baby it's me, but i find your reasons most interesting, especially because Diana herself had no real love for this project, but it was not because of the quality of material given to her. It was more to do with the recording of the album.

Bluebrock
12-18-2020, 01:08 PM
"we are the children of the world.."..i..i...just cant..havent heard it in decades and never want to what was she thinking ??? and she even made a promo video for it !!..I love most of "Swept Away" but that i cant even call it a song is dire im getting cold sweats even thinking of it...oh my word

It's truly awful i agree, but it would be interesting to hear if it is a favorite of anyone on here?

Bluebrock
12-18-2020, 01:11 PM
BABY IT'S ME has been one of my favorite Diana albums since the day I bought it in 1977.

I will say though that the remix of GETTIN' READY FOR LOVE that was first heard on her 1983 ANTHOLOGY was a great improvement on the original release.

Totally agree on both counts. I never tire of hearing it, and i think it contains some of Diana's most memorable vocal performances. She is quite mesmerising on some of those songs.

reese
12-18-2020, 02:50 PM
It's truly awful i agree, but it would be interesting to hear if it is a favorite of anyone on here?

WE ARE THE CHILDREN OF THE WORLD is probably the only song on the SWEPT AWAY album that I truly dislike. But maybe I should listen again.

I saw the little promo that was done for it and was surprised that the tv program EVENING MAGAZINE [[or PM MAGAZINE, depending on your location) devoted time to it. But it was cute watching her play "Duck Duck Goose" with the kids.

sup_fan
12-18-2020, 03:32 PM
i think if the horrid children's chorus had been left off of We Are The Children, it would have fared better. not a great or magical song. but it has a very energetic backing track and Diana really commits herself to the lyrics. she sings with far more energy and passion than on some other tunes. It does come off a bit "soundtrack-ish" like you could hear it as the a fast-paced montage track in some silly 80s flick or the race music in some movie where the underdog is pushing and pushing to win the race against the prototype bullies.

Bluebrock
12-18-2020, 04:48 PM
WE ARE THE CHILDREN OF THE WORLD is probably the only song on the SWEPT AWAY album that I truly dislike. But maybe I should listen again.

I saw the little promo that was done for it and was surprised that the tv program EVENING MAGAZINE [[or PM MAGAZINE, depending on your location) devoted time to it. But it was cute watching her play "Duck Duck Goose" with the kids.

Nobody makes me crazy [[like you do) is another dismal track from Swept Away, but the rest of the album still stands up quite well.

nomis
12-20-2020, 09:03 PM
I love "Nobody makes me crazy " ! Lol..I saw many years ago in UKs "record collector" monthly magazine a very very rare "12 inch vinyl promo on green vinyl of dj remixes..never seen a copy of this listed anywhere else i love its driving synth drum style and her interesting vocal

Boogiedown
12-20-2020, 11:26 PM
I love "Nobody makes me crazy " ! Lol..I saw many years ago in UKs "record collector" monthly magazine a very very rare "12 inch vinyl promo on green vinyl of dj remixes..never seen a copy of this listed anywhere else i love its driving synth drum style and her interesting vocal

WOW !!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js62hWZC6Y4

what does this remind me A LOT of :confused::confused::confused:??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-GdAVO16E8

nope can't think of it .....

Jaap
12-21-2020, 05:44 AM

Wow, didn't know that. Is this the one?
https://www.discogs.com/Various-Series-3-Issue-7/release/1816456

Apparently, it is a mix of 8:21 minutes!