View Full Version : Dee Dee Sharp, October 2010--Wildwood, NJ

test

randy_russi
04-12-2011, 03:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgWjwSR2_Hk

Hope this works, performing Mashed Potatoes/Gravy

randy_russi
04-12-2011, 04:01 PM
Ok, it works! However, it's not the greatest; played much too fast, plus Dee Dee can't still let loose and really sing
and this doesn't really show it.
But I hope some of you enjoy!

randy_russi
04-12-2011, 04:02 PM
Well, that was a BIG blooper...I meant to say Dee Dee CAN still let loose and really sing!!!

Check out her website for some new podcasts: www.deedeesharp.com

marv2
04-12-2011, 05:00 PM
That was great. Made me think how close she came to marrying "the Greatest"....Muhammad Ali! Her backup's are very good too. However, it is too bad that most will never find this video because the poster did not put her name in the title, just "Mashed Potatos & Gravy" and in his tags he just has "Dee Sharp.

randy_russi
04-13-2011, 09:58 AM
marv2, glad you enjoyed it! Listen on her website to podcast #3, the most recent, and she talks about Muhammed Ali,
David Ruffin, Gene Chandler--all whom she had dated before marrying Kenny Gamble.

randy_russi
04-13-2011, 10:09 AM
I thought the tempo was a little fast, but Dee Dee says she wanted it that way as the show was fast paced. She was
opening for Chubby Checker. Yes, the backup vocalists are very good too. This was Oct. 16th, 2010 in Wildwood, NJ.

luke
04-13-2011, 10:19 AM
One of the worst rob jobs in history is that she didnt become a superstar-what a voice!

randy_russi
04-13-2011, 10:31 AM
luke, you are sooooo right!!!! She was also playing the big venues in Vegas, Miami, etc. long before it became fashionable
for rock'n'rollers to do so. She did all the big band material when she was still a teenager for those showrooms.

nosey
04-13-2011, 10:55 AM
Randy, didn't Kenny Gamble just want her to be a housewife?

randy_russi
04-13-2011, 11:03 AM
Later, I believe so, however, he wanted her to help with the inner workings of the company and she helped manage the
groups and set them up with bookings, etc. Therefore she neglected her own singing, but never stopped. She did
tell him that he married a singer and it was a singer who got him into the business so a singer she did remain.
He did want to have a hit with her in the '60s, but I guess by the '70s when she recorded her best material for
the Phil. Interntional. label, the promotion wasn't really there.

marv2
04-13-2011, 06:11 PM
marv2, glad you enjoyed it! Listen on her website to podcast #3, the most recent, and she talks about Muhammed Ali,
David Ruffin, Gene Chandler--all whom she had dated before marrying Kenny Gamble.

Thanks Randy! You always have the scoop!!!

Motown_M_1056
04-13-2011, 06:44 PM
Dee Dee Sharp managed to put more soul & feeling into those teen or girl group songs she recorded for Cameo- Parkway. But her later recordings for Philly International were often over produced, over sung and just uninspiring.
I don't know what it is that kept her from being bigger. Maybe inconsistency in terms of picking the right material & producers? The producers at Cameo often tailored songs just for her. They knew how to get the best from her.
Or maybe it was a simple case of an early Rock "N" Roll singer not being able to transition into Soul music?
But she could put more feeling and soul into a few lines of Let's Clean Up the
Ghetto than an entire album of songs by the Philly team. Just my opinion.

nosey
04-14-2011, 08:33 AM
Randy, thanks for that video. I finally got to view it without it stopping and starting. I have such an affinity to that lady as she was such an excellent role model growing up. As you know, we were from the same neighborhood and I went to school with her younger brother and cousin. She represented us "colored" girls well by her coming from a good family and carrying herself with much pride and self esteem. She'll always be my girl. Go Dee, Dee!

randy_russi
04-14-2011, 09:00 AM
That's great to hear, nosey! Dee Dee is going to Memphis today [[Thurs.) to take part in a music festival produced by
David Guest--besides Dee Dee Sharp, get this line-up: Jerry Butler, Eddie Floyd, Freda Payne, Dorothy Moore, Candi
Staton, Peabo Bryson, Russell Thompkins, Jr., Dennis Edwards' Temptations, and several more.
The show is on Fri., April 15th.

Motown_M_1056
04-14-2011, 09:07 AM
That's great to hear, nosey! Dee Dee is going to Memphis today [[Thurs.) to take part in a music festival produced by
David Guest--besides Dee Dee Sharp, get this line-up: Jerry Butler, Eddie Floyd, Freda Payne, Dorothy Moore, Candi
Staton, Peabo Bryson, Russell Thompkins, Jr., Dennis Edwards' Temptations, and several more.
The show is on Fri., April 15th.

I heard about this event.Kamasu has a thread about it.

arrr&bee
04-14-2011, 12:19 PM
Hey miss dee dee still sounding good,my fav from her is the very underrated[i'm not in love]!