PDA

View Full Version : Mary Wilson Produced by Gus Dudgeon: Green River!

test

marv2
04-11-2011, 09:27 AM
Here's a clip of Mary performing one of the four unreleased songs that were produced for her by Gus Dudgeon in 1980, CCR's "Green River":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNWfWhHJ7pw

luke
04-11-2011, 10:39 AM
Wow thx Marv-never knew she perfomred this on TV. Loved her stuff with Gus. Wasnt this done pre Tina goin rock? Hmmmm. Maybe Tina saw this!

copley
04-11-2011, 10:59 AM
"Love Talk", "Save Me", "You Danced My Heart Around the Stars" and "Green River" are IMHO the 4 best songs that Mary ever recorded. Also like "Sleeping in Separate Rooms", "Stronger in a Broken Part", "The One I Love", "My Love Life Is A Disaster", "Show Me" & "Love Child" are all excellent and still unreleased.

carlo
04-11-2011, 11:03 AM
Awesome performance!! Thank you for posting this!

copley
04-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Carlo, there's more! Now don't get over excited and wet yourself - again. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9j7BqXA3Ic&feature=feedu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kINaLrUwXSU&feature=feedu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyCf1Izoydg&feature=feedu

marv2
04-11-2011, 01:01 PM
Wow thx Marv-never knew she perfomred this on TV. Loved her stuff with Gus. Wasnt this done pre Tina goin rock? Hmmmm. Maybe Tina saw this!

You're welcome. Yes this was before Tina Turner's 1983-84 comeback. Mary recorded this and other songs in 1980.

marv2
04-11-2011, 01:02 PM
"Love Talk", "Save Me", "You Danced My Heart Around the Stars" and "Green River" are IMHO the 4 best songs that Mary ever recorded. Also like "Sleeping in Separate Rooms", "Stronger in a Broken Part", "The One I Love", "My Love Life Is A Disaster", "Show Me" & "Love Child" are all excellent and still unreleased.

"The One I Love" [[Push Has Come to Shovin') was a jam! That one should have been released!!!

marv2
04-11-2011, 01:03 PM
Awesome performance!! Thank you for posting this!

Anytime Carlo. I have better quality of these clips. But still happy to see them up on Youtube.

carlo
04-11-2011, 01:18 PM
Carlo, there's more! Now don't get over excited and wet yourself - again. :)

lol!! I've seen those clips before, but it's been a while. Thanks for posting.

carlo
04-11-2011, 01:25 PM
It's a crime that these Gus Dudgeon tracks went unreleased. What was wrong with Motown? I know they wanted to get rid of Mary, but these songs are amazing IMO. It's frustrating that these are still not available on CD with Mary's debut album. "Green River" is my all-time favourite. Mary is a rocker at heart. She's great with the jazz and ballads...but I love seeing her rock it out!! She's got that rough and tough Tina Turner energy.

markdtiller
04-11-2011, 01:39 PM
Does anyone have other unreleased Mary demos "Can We Talk About It" or "Show Me"? They have been listed on a few discographies over the years. See: http://en.academic.ru/dic.nsf/enwiki/201862.
Will happily buy or trade for a CD-R or MP3. I have everything else.
markdtiller@hotmail.com

luke
04-11-2011, 05:07 PM
These are amazing. Did Motown even listen to these? She is fantastic. What shows were these? Why didnt these jump start her career?

carlo
04-11-2011, 05:56 PM
The four performances that Copley posted here are from the European show "Black Gold".

I agree, Luke. These tracks should have jump started her career. She has had some really good recordings that have went unreleased for one reason or another. She was on the verge of being signed to Boardwalk Records by Neil Bogart. But shortly after their meeting in 1982, he passed away.

luke
04-11-2011, 07:01 PM
Thanks Carlo. Yes I had read that about Neil. I assume as she did demo for Atlantic they had been interested too. And frustratingly she didnt like Holiday before Madonna got it!!

marv2
04-11-2011, 07:24 PM
Fantasy/Volt Records tried to sign Mary as well. She declined but referred her good friend Brenda Holloway to them.

luke
04-11-2011, 08:21 PM
Wow I didnt know that; she didnt like the terms of contract?

marv2
04-11-2011, 08:27 PM
Wow I didnt know that; she didnt like the terms of contract?

I'm not sure, but I'll guess it had something to do with that.

marv2
04-11-2011, 08:40 PM
Luke, here is an interview Brenda Holloway did with David Nathan back in 2000 where she talks about it:

http://www.soulmusic.com/brho20in.html

luke
04-11-2011, 10:04 PM
Very interesting Marv-thx.

detmotownguy
04-12-2011, 05:03 PM
Fantastic! Luke, I was thinking the same thing bout your comment of Tina Turner. Oh what could have been!

marv2
04-12-2011, 05:06 PM
Fantastic! Luke, I was thinking the same thing bout your comment of Tina Turner. Oh what could have been!

I am happy I was able to see many of Mary's concerts in the 80's. She tore it up!

rod_rick
04-12-2011, 05:30 PM
Yeah Marv that was pretty nice of Mary to turn Brenda on to the record label. I know a lady that Mary helped in kind of the same manner. This person auditioned for Mary at one point and then Mary turned on to another gig where she ended up doing her own solo tour.

marv2
04-14-2011, 10:41 PM

Hey Luke, NO Supreme ever moved like that before, huh? whew!!!!!

marv2
04-14-2011, 10:43 PM
Yeah Marv that was pretty nice of Mary to turn Brenda on to the record label. I know a lady that Mary helped in kind of the same manner. This person auditioned for Mary at one point and then Mary turned on to another gig where she ended up doing her own solo tour.

That's just the kind of person Mary is!

robbert
04-15-2011, 09:04 AM
Here's Green River again... in the famous TCB 'Green Swirls' gown by Michael Travis! The neckachiefs were removed in August 1976 and modelled into cuffs and had a string of bugle beads attached cuff to shoulder [[courtesy: Stephen Woods).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl61V-9uDi4&feature=player_embedded

blueskies
04-15-2011, 09:28 AM
Here's Green River again... in the famous TCB 'Green Swirls' gown by Michael Travis! The neckachiefs were removed in August 1976 and modelled into cuffs and had a string of bugle beads attached cuff to shoulder [[courtesy: Stephen Woods).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl61V-9uDi4&feature=player_embedded

Somehow, that gown doesn't look appropriate for the song. Looks like Mary was kind of struggling with it to get around the stage. Were/are those gowns in Mary's Supreme gowns tour?

luke
04-15-2011, 10:31 AM
I agree--bizarre. Though the song and her performance is growing on me.

StuartUK
04-21-2011, 08:25 PM
Anytime Carlo. I have better quality of these clips. But still happy to see them up on Youtube.

Any chance anyone can send me better quality version of these to my email please?

neil_dud@hotmail.com [[subject Mary Wilson)

please please please!!!!!!!

jillfoster
04-22-2011, 04:01 AM
The four performances that Copley posted here are from the European show "Black Gold".

I agree, Luke. These tracks should have jump started her career. She has had some really good recordings that have went unreleased for one reason or another. She was on the verge of being signed to Boardwalk Records by Neil Bogart. But shortly after their meeting in 1982, he passed away.

Carlo.. I don't know if some european show called "Black Gold" obtained that footage and re-broadcast it or what... but the shw that was originally on is called "The Black Stage" with Julius Johnson. I think the show was produced in Washington DC.

marv2
04-22-2011, 09:13 AM
Carlo.. I don't know if some european show called "Black Gold" obtained that footage and re-broadcast it or what... but the shw that was originally on is called "The Black Stage" with Julius Johnson. I think the show was produced in Washington DC.

Jill, that is correct. Mr. Johnson does the intro for Mary's performance and the show was "the Black Stage". I believe it was produced in association with PBS and may have been made available for syndication in the U.K. and other parts of the World.

carlo
04-22-2011, 09:59 PM
Thanks Jill. I stand corrected. I believe it was someone on this board who told me that these appearances were from the show "Black Gold".

redlabs
04-23-2011, 08:41 AM
i think Mary should have kept Green River in the show .some good songs

144man
04-23-2011, 08:49 AM
I haven't seen this before. Mary Wilson's "Green River" is absolutely sensational.

luke
05-24-2011, 09:32 PM
Mary owns the demos, correct? I recall Motown gave them to her. If her solo cd ever released again Id hope they could be on it.

marv2
05-24-2011, 09:37 PM
Mary owns the demos, correct? I recall Motown gave them to her. If her solo cd ever released again Id hope they could be on it.

It would make sense to put them on there. As good as those songs were, she did even greater work that went unreleased for Atlantic, namely a song called "The One I Love [[Push Has Come to Shoving").

luke
05-24-2011, 10:27 PM
Was Mary close to signing with Atlantic?

marv2
05-24-2011, 11:23 PM
Was Mary close to signing with Atlantic?

I believe she was. They accepted her 3 to 4 demos, so it may have had something to do with the terms.

1382hitsville
05-25-2011, 01:08 PM
Green River is amazing! Would love to get a copy of all of these songs together with her solo material. Is Mary interested to release this?