PDA

View Full Version : Nolan Strong & Diablos were recruited for Motown, but declined.

test

woodward
10-29-2020, 02:22 PM
This is a very interesting article about Nolan Strong and the Diablos. The group was inducted into the Michigan Rock and Roll legends early 2019. I do not recall any coverage on the forum about this occurrence.

There is a small explanation of how the group was under consideration to sign with Motown but never did. Too bad.

I also learned something I had wanted to know about Nolan. Barrett Strong is a cousin of Nolan's. Their major hit, The Wind, is far superior to that of the Jesters. It is a good song though.

https://michiganrockandrolllegends.com/index.php/mrrl-hall-of-fame/396-nolan-strong-and-the-diablos

Legend has it that Smokey Robinson was a huge fan of the Diablos.

soulwally
10-29-2020, 07:15 PM
Very interesting read

Motown Eddie
10-30-2020, 05:26 AM
Thanks for sharing that article Woodward. I didn't know that Nolan Strong & The Diablos were being considered by Motown [[and why they turned that deal down) prior to reading that piece.

woodward
10-30-2020, 08:34 AM
Thanks for sharing that article Woodward. I didn't know that Nolan Strong & The Diablos were being considered by Motown [[and why they turned that deal down) prior to reading that piece.

You are not alone on that. Another person who wanted to sign with Motown was James Brown. That is probably another little known aspect and we can all thank Raynoma for revealing that in Berry, Me, and Motown. I wonder who else over the years suffered the same fate? There has to be others.

stingbeelee
10-30-2020, 09:46 AM
My understanding, growing up in Detroit and reading various articles was that Motown wasn't too keen on bringing in Nolan Strong and the Diablos because Nolan had "problems" [[I heard it was drinking) and that Berry didn't want to bring in veteran groups early on because they may know too much about the music biz. Don't know if this is true, but this is what Detroit music industry veterans told me.

tjl
10-30-2020, 10:13 AM
"If I, Oh I" and "Yeah Baby! It's Because Of You" are my two favorites with a definite early Motown/Miracles kind of feel for me.

Motown Eddie
11-01-2020, 05:36 AM
You are not alone on that. Another person who wanted to sign with Motown was James Brown. That is probably another little known aspect and we can all thank Raynoma for revealing that in Berry, Me, and Motown. I wonder who else over the years suffered the same fate? There has to be others.

WOW! I didn't read Raynoma Gordy's book so I had no idea that James Brown wanted to sign with Motown. Brown's autobiography from 1986 makes no mention of wanting to sign with Motown [[but he does compliment the company for Berry's leadership & for taking Soul Music to the top of the charts with a 'softer sound' than his). I wonder how that would've worked: James Brown with his hardcore take on Soul Music & Motown with their focus on Pop influenced Soul.

nsoule
11-01-2020, 09:34 AM
It's been suggested to me more than once by some older doo-wop collectors that the backing group on Barrett Strong's "Do The Very Best You Can" is the Diablos. It doesn't really sound like them on that recording to me, but I'd be curious to see what people with a finer tuned ear than me think.

robb_k
11-01-2020, 01:39 PM
It's been suggested to me more than once by some older doo-wop collectors that the backing group on Barrett Strong's "Do The Very Best You Can" is the Diablos. It doesn't really sound like them on that recording to me, but I'd be curious to see what people with a finer tuned ear than me think.
I really doubt that the background singers on that recording are The Diablos. I certainly don't hear Nolan. If they meant, "The Diablos WITHOUT Nolan", it would be difficult to tell. But, I believe we are hearing some form or another of The Rayber Voices.

nsoule
11-02-2020, 10:17 PM
I really doubt that the background singers on that recording are The Diablos. I certainly don't hear Nolan. If they meant, "The Diablos WITHOUT Nolan", it would be difficult to tell. But, I believe we are hearing some form or another of The Rayber Voices.

I'm in agreeance with you. The thread just reminded me of that rumor, and I was curious if anyone else had heard it or could hear the Diablos in the song. Like I said, I don't hear it.