PDA

View Full Version : Any Stax experts.here?

test

snakepit
10-24-2020, 03:41 AM
I hope a Stax expert can help me out here.
I'm aware of the split with Atlantic, and the situation whereby Stax 'lost' all their masters up to early 1968.
I believe that Stax still retained all unissued recordings[[ including alternate versions) from prior to 1968.
I believe it was quite a number of years later that pre 68 [[ blue Stax) and post 68 [[ Yellow Stax) were issued together on compilations due to record companies merging /licenceing etc.

But I was thrown by a 1969 LP of Eddie Floyd "Rare Stamps" on Yellow Stax which features a lot of Blue Stax [[ pre the 68 Split) that Stax no longer owned.
So...is "Rare Stamps" made up of alternate versions of tracks such as "Knock on wood" , " Big Bird", " Raise your hand" etc???
i.e
Not the masters owned by Atlantic and unavailable to Stax for releasing.

Thanks

reese
10-24-2020, 09:49 AM
Interesting question but I'm sorry that I don't know the answer.

But I did notice that probably around the same time, Stax [[yellow) released greatest hits collections on Johnnie Taylor and Booker T. and the MGs, each with similar gold cover designs. Each contained at least one track from the Stax [[blue) era.

snakepit
10-24-2020, 10:03 AM
Hi Reese
As I say, many years later, when licence/ownetship of Stax flip flopped [[ and Stax was a victim more than anybody) tracks from Blue and Yellow were collated.
But in 1969 Stax couldn't touch any released masters [[ Atlantic 'owned').
I see what you say above...perhaps they used a "unissued" version.
But they never issued pre68 [[Blue) on Otis, Carla, J.T....all the artists.
MID 68 [[Yellow ) comps were of.Yellow material.
So the Eddie Floyd sticks out...
Perhaps they had more unissued/aternate tracks on him than the others, allowing them to squeeze out an LP.??

reese
10-24-2020, 10:12 AM
Hi Reese
As I say, many years later, when licence/ownetship of Stax flip flopped [[ and Stax was a victim more than anybody) tracks from Blue and Yellow were collated.
But in 1969 Stax couldn't touch any released masters [[ Atlantic 'owned').
I see what you say above...perhaps they used a "unissued" version.
But they never issued pre68 [[Blue) on Otis, Carla, J.T....all the artists.
MID 68 [[Yellow ) comps were of.Yellow material.
So the Eddie Floyd sticks out...
Perhaps they had more unissued/aternate tracks on him than the others, allowing them to squeeze out an LP.??

My mom actually had the JT collection that I referenced and the label was the yellow Stax with the blue tinted fingersnap photo, which I believe was during their Gulf & Western era. One Ebay listing has the album as having been released in 1970, which seems about right. I thought the same might have been the same for the Booker T. set as the cover designs are similar.

The track used on the JT set was I AIN'T PARTICULAR, actually the last single from the Atlantic-era. Why they felt the need to include a single that wasn't even a hit is interesting considering they could have put any other later JT track in that slot.

In any event, I don't know if my mom even still has the album. But when I get a chance, I'll listen to see if the track sounds like an alternate version.

snakepit
10-24-2020, 10:22 AM
Yes I think I might be doing similar��
I was actually looking at a William Bell 2fer and decided to search for a Eddie Floyd
[[ I'm actually on a "Stax" project of trying to collect all "Yellow" a & b's 68...72ish.
So I'm looking at Stax LPs from 68 onward.
The Rare Stamps 2fer on Eddie Floyd threw me a bit.
I've read several Stax books but was uncertain with the poiltics and detailed history. I popped over to Wikipedia and the issue of Stax retaining unisdued/alternative tracks is covered.

snakepit
10-24-2020, 06:04 PM
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/confused-with-stax-records.90264/page-2

Reese
This great link covers this situation..took a while trawling the web but got there in the end.
Amongst these threads is the answer...Yellow Stax had the unissued & alternates for use, and it seems that they are the "blue" period on post 68 comps.[[ around 68-70).
However Atlantic , after the split, had access to all recordings..including the unissued and alternates for a short period but presumably didn't take the optuon...apart frim a deal to retain and release ALL Otis tracks. They issued several lps on Atco of Otis recordings...presumably as both parties thought there was profit on his stuff.

reese
10-24-2020, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the info.