PDA

View Full Version : Diana Ross 1993 Interview with Charlie Rose

test

jobeterob
09-16-2020, 12:15 AM
https://youtu.be/bfPIhqNX7o4

Albator
09-16-2020, 01:59 AM
This is my favorite interview of her. There are all the contrasts in her personality that make her endearing for some, hateful for others.
She is very intelligent, hyper sensitive, elegant, very controlled. I think that this control is as much a spiritual work as a way to curb her impulsivity which plays bad tricks on her.

Ollie9
09-16-2020, 05:20 AM
This is an excellent interview. Diana can on occasion come across as being a little overly defensive, but not so here. She is both candid and relaxed, handling those pressing questions regarding herself and Berry with flair and aplomb. She also appears to have a great chemistry with Charlie Rose which helps.
The only other interview which for me which compares is the one she gave for Norwegian television following Arne’s funeral. In this also she is open and candid in what must have been an emotional and difficult time for her.

Bluebrock
09-16-2020, 12:05 PM
This is an excellent interview. Diana can on occasion come across as being a little overly defensive, but not so here. She is both candid and relaxed, handling those pressing questions regarding herself and Berry with flair and aplomb. She also appears to have a great chemistry with Charlie Rose which helps.
The only other interview which for me which compares is the one she gave for Norwegian television following Arne’s funeral. In this also she is open and candid in what must have been an emotional and difficult time for her.

She remains very distrusting of the media, and that is why she is usually so defensive.

SatansBlues
09-16-2020, 12:09 PM
She remains very distrusting of the media, and that is why she is usually so defensive.

BLUEROCK is back! YEA!!!

Bluebrock
09-16-2020, 02:44 PM
BLUEROCK is back! YEA!!!

Thank you so much. I deeply appreciate it.

djessie
09-16-2020, 02:48 PM

Welcome back Bluebrock! We all missed you.

SatansBlues
09-16-2020, 02:53 PM

I don't see it so much as being defensive as I read her to be very guarded, and rightfully so.

Circa 1824
09-16-2020, 03:49 PM

I think she is distrustful of many things and people, and that is why she stays almost exclusively to her family.

Roberta75
09-16-2020, 04:49 PM
A great interview than you for sharing.

Rafalle
09-16-2020, 07:28 PM
Bluebrock, I’ve never met you, but it is just fantastic to see you on here again. I really appreciate your personal insights on Diana the person, rather than Diana Ross, the megastar. Welcome back mate.

sansradio
09-16-2020, 07:41 PM
This was a very refreshing and candid interview. His personal foibles aside, Charlie Rose really knew how to disarm the "difficult." He even got the notoriously prickly Faye Dunaway to discuss Mommie Dearest ​without incident! Thanks for posting.

jobeterob
09-16-2020, 11:44 PM
What did Charlie Rose do again - that wasn’t great?

Albator
09-17-2020, 02:07 AM
I like the way she reacts when he tries to coerce her talking about Berry Gordy.
As she says, "if you read between the lines".
From looking at her, I have the impression that she is frank and sincere, but that she knows that there are things that she won't say, because it's her business and her life. As she does not want to lie outright, she lets the vagueness settle in. And mystery too, with is good.

sansradio
09-17-2020, 01:11 PM
What did Charlie Rose do again - that wasn’t great?

Allegedly, he engaged in sexual misconduct with at least 8 women either employed by him or aspiring to.

captainjames
09-20-2020, 12:01 PM
It obvious she is very much in love during this time and it shows so the interview just flows.

Rafalle
09-20-2020, 03:42 PM
Diana’s statement that at 35, she finally understood her sexuality explains everything. From that time on, she would no longer take orders from men: not from Berry, not from big shot Hollywood directors, not from über famous record producers, not from bossy stage directors. Hence: leaving Motown, no more feature films, unless they were low budget enough for her to co-produce, albums where she produced or the producer was sufficiently unimportant to be cowed by her [[Barry Gibb being the exception, and maybe he seemed sufficiently effeminate), no more choreographed stage shows where she had to remember to hit her mark and smile on cue. Now it makes sense! Makes her seem like she was a proto Madonna....Hats off to her: she had been a product, manufactured by men, for long enough.

Ollie9
09-20-2020, 04:10 PM
Diana’s statement that at 35, she finally understood her sexuality explains everything. From that time on, she would no longer take orders from men: not from Berry, not from big shot Hollywood directors, not from über famous record producers, not from bossy stage directors. Hence: leaving Motown, no more feature films, unless they were low budget enough for her to co-produce, albums where she produced or the producer was sufficiently unimportant to be cowed by her [[Barry Gibb being the exception, and maybe he seemed sufficiently effeminate), no more choreographed stage shows where she had to remember to hit her mark and smile on cue. Now it makes sense! Makes her seem like she was a proto Madonna....Hats off to her: she had been a product, manufactured by men, for long enough.

Lucky for her one of those bossy men saw something special in her and decided to make her a star. Sometimes better things can be achieved by simply accepting that someone else might just know a little better then we ourselves.

khansperac
09-20-2020, 04:27 PM
Lucky for her one of those bossy men saw something special in her and decided to make her a star. Sometimes better things can be achieved by simply accepting that someone else might just know a little better then we ourselves.

Do you apply that same logic to Ike and Tina Turner?

Ollie9
09-20-2020, 06:15 PM
Do you apply that same logic to Ike and Tina Turner?

I would imagine Tina was surrounded by many a professional she took advice from. The personal and professional relationship she held with her husband is another thing altogether. He doesn't appear to have been a very nice person. At least to her.
Generally i believe that keeping an open mind and encouraging other to share their thoughts and opinions a positive course of action.

Ollie9
09-21-2020, 01:37 PM
It obvious she is very much in love during this time and it shows so the interview just flows.

This is a really lovely pic of Diana and Arne. She looks head over hills. Oh to be in love again. :D

Albator
09-22-2020, 02:53 AM
Funny how the spoken intro of "swept away", and even the song, are premonitory when it comes to her meeting with Arne.

Ollie9
09-23-2020, 03:44 AM
Funny how the spoken intro of "swept away", and even the song, are premonitory when it comes to her meeting with Arne.

Never thought of it before but your right. Considering the circumstances of their first meeting, the lyrics do appear a little prophetic. “Not Over You Yet” might have summarised how she felt at the end of that relationship.

Albator
09-23-2020, 07:27 AM
You and I are on an island [[Bahamas)
Where I thought the storm would never end
I saw your light on the horizon
And I knew that I was blown away again

The whole EDAND album sums up her feelings