PDA

View Full Version : Martha Reeves 45's Released Other Than Motown label

test

woodward
04-07-2011, 11:27 AM
I am trying to compose a complete discography of Martha Reeves singles [[45's) that were released on other than the Motown affiliated labels. I have some empty spaces that I need completed and am hoping that someone can help me complete the listing.

ARISTA LABEL [[Were these the only 4 singles released?)
124 Love Blind/This Time I'll Be Sweeter
160 Higher and Higher/ ?
211 The Rest Of My Live/ ?
228 You've Lost That Loving Feeling/ ?

FANTASY LABEL [[Were these the only 3 singles released?)
825 ? / ?
868 Dancing In The Street/When You Came
887 Really Like Your Rap/That's What I Want

MCA LABEL [[Were these the only 3 singles released?)
40194 Power of Love/Stand By Me
40274 Wild Night/Stand by Me
20329 My Man/Facsimile

Any help to determine any other singles and the titles of the ? sides will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

chestersong
04-07-2011, 12:32 PM
"Second Chance" was released on one of the FREE SOUL compilations. i will have to check which in my CD pile.

copley
04-07-2011, 02:32 PM
'I've Got To Use My Imagination' was issued as a single in the UK.

RossHolloway
04-07-2011, 02:35 PM
Do we know when these singles were recorded/released? And is there a list of her albums she released post-Motown?

copley
04-07-2011, 03:50 PM
1974: Martha Reeves [[MCA)
197?: Dancing In The Streets aka Rainbow [[Phonarama) not released but I have a copy.
1977: For the Rest of My Life [[Arista)
1978: We Meet Again [[Fantasy)
1980: Gotta Keep Moving [[Fantasy)
2002: Home To You [[Itch) re-issued in 2004

randy_russi
04-07-2011, 03:53 PM
Skating In The Streets was a 12-inch, but I can't remember if it was on Fantasy or Arista.

I've Got To Use My Imagination was on the first solo lp on MCA. It was originally recorded by her too.

BayouMotownMan
04-07-2011, 07:41 PM
As I recall them, and I may miss some, here are her post-Motown releases [[Albums in CAPS)

1974 MARTHA REEVES [[MCA)
Power of Love
Wild Night
My Man [[You Changed My Tune)

1976 THE REST OF MY LIFE [[ARISTA)
Love Blind
Higher and Higher
You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'

1978 or 9 WE MEET AGAIN [[Fantasy)
Love Don't Come No Stronger

1980 [[or thereabouts) GOTTA KEEP MOVING [[Fantasy)
Skating In The Streets
Really Like Your Rap

She did an lp for RONCO in the 80s of her hits and a few others

She had at least a few singles that I know of for MOTORCITY, Step Into My Shoes, a duet with GC Cameron, You're All I Need To Get By and a few others

She did HOME TO YOU herself

One thing about Martha...she never put out a bad lp. She herself was embarrased about the Skating In The Street single but Lamont Dozier did some great tracks for her on that same Fantasy lp

theboyfromxtown
04-08-2011, 04:05 AM
The 1980 album containing "Skating in the Streets [[Dancing In The Streets)" [[both with an added "s" was called "Gotta Keep Moving" [[FANTASY F9591) and contained 6 tracks of which 2 tracks were produced by Lamont Dozier. The remaining 4 tracks were produced by Henry "Hank" Cosby with Phil Jones.

I was disappointed to learn that Martha was embarrassed about her update of the song. It was topical at that time and an excellent production - as would be expected from Henry Cosby. I can think of a whole lot more tracks more embarrassing than that one....mostly those updates of Motown hits that were recorded after she left the company.