PDA

View Full Version : The Battle Of The Comedians Redd Foxx -vs- Richard Pryor Who Did You like Better

test

KevLo
08-15-2010, 04:15 PM
Hi this is Kev-Lo

Well Although neither one of these two great comedians are no longer with us I still think they were the two best ever. Redd Fox was great for his stand up act and his T.V. show that took us by storm, Sanford and Son.

Richard Pryor was also great for his stand up act as well and all of his flicks such as The Mack, Which Way Is Up, etc.

So Who did you like better between the two

robb_k
08-15-2010, 04:26 PM
I liked both of them a lot. It's like comparing apples to oranges. There's room for both. It would be like trying to choose which of your Children to save if you could only save one. Their styles of humour were VERY, VERY different from each other.

Personally, I laugh a little more at Richard Pryor's antics and jokes because they seem to come from nowhere, or some very strange [[unexpected) place. He certainly was a very naturally funny person. But, then, so was Red. And he was very clever [[but, then, so was Richard. But, I've known Red's humour since the early '50s. So, I think of him as an old friend. I met him, as well He used to come into my father's stores [[both in Chicago and in L.A.). I've never met Richard. But, I started seeing his act when he started out in the '60s. Wasn't he from Peoria? [[am I remembering this right)? He played some clubs on The South Side of Chicago, and used to make fun of the small town he came from.

sophisticated_soul
08-15-2010, 06:33 PM
Red Foxx. I grew up with Redd. His albums from the late 50s/early 60s were kind of underground. I heard some them at friends homes and that's how I found out about him. There was one album that had him on the cover with a soapy rag washing a donkey and it was called "Everybody's Gotta Wash There Own Ass". LOL. I've never forgotten that!

mark speck
08-15-2010, 10:40 PM
For me, it's Pryor...he did structured routines a la Lenny Bruce. Foxx was more of a guy that knew a lot of dirty jokes [[not that there's anything wrong with that...). Bottom line is I enjoyed them both.

Best,

Mark

paladin
08-15-2010, 10:44 PM
Its good that they are mentioned in the same breath. Redd & his cohorts [[Lawanda Page, Skillet & Leroy, etc) were my parents comedians and yes mine too, Their records were considered underground, but as teenagers we would flock to The Regal Theater to see acts like Redd, Clay Tyson, Moms Mabley, ......when Richard came along, the sixties were gone and he ushered in; a brash in your face comedy that was no longer underground. Yes they were cut from the same cloth and certainly were some of the most famous comedians that ever lived.

I, like Sophisticated Soul will always remember Redd's take on "Fugg"........yeah thats right you got it figured out......

Other comedians that were considered above ground and generally accepted by the masses during their reign were names like Bill Cosby, Nipsey Russell, George Kirby, and to some extent Godfrey Cambridge . Very good funny men all......

arrr&bee
08-16-2010, 10:51 AM
both were comic geniuses but for my money..red foxx was the man.

splanky
08-16-2010, 04:04 PM
I can't really pick between the two because I loved both of thos cats. Redd was better
able to tone down his blue material for television though, still Richard live shows could have you laughing so hard your ribs would ache. Nipsey BTW recorded some blue stuff too. My parents had it and I would sneak and listen to Nipsey talking about his "freinds"
The Bates Family...Mr Bates, Mrs Bates and their son Master Bates. " He was a beautiful
kid, I loved him" :)... Of course Nipsey's stuff was never as raw as Richard's whose album's were not allowed in my house though we heard them anyway elsewhere.
Flip Wilson was another funny mollyfock with his own unique style....

tomato tom
08-16-2010, 04:17 PM
Used to love Flip Wilsons character GERALDINE!

pshark
08-16-2010, 04:32 PM
No disrespect to Mr Pryor, but if he was a natural comedian, then why did he need
Paul Mooney to write his material?
Lets not forget Cheech & Chong, Rodney Dangerfield, George Carlin, John Belushi

GeeTee(HPK)
08-16-2010, 04:49 PM
I like them both,so I can't say one was better than the other.

splanky
08-17-2010, 10:38 AM
Pshark,
Paul Mooney didn't write all of Richard's material and Richard is hardly the first or last comedian to have used collaborators.
In fact many before and after him have. From Jack Benny and George Burns to his friend Lily Tomlin through Bill Murray,
Sinbad and Seinfield. Sorry, I couldn't let such a dismissive comment go unchallenged.

nevertoolate
08-22-2010, 10:33 PM
I would say Redd Foxx..his stuff was very clever without swearing..he would say something..and it would hit you 30 seconds later..as to what he really ment.. you would have to read between the lines. He also had a very offbeat sense of humor..

I like Richard Pryor too, but his stuff was less clever..it was just in your face..but Richard was good at telling preposterous long stories..especially the one "Little Feet"..