PDA

View Full Version : Carla Thomas: Let Me Be Good To You – The Atlantic & Stax Recordings [[1960-1968), 4CD

test

Nothing But Soul
09-02-2020, 06:55 AM
https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/carla-thomas-let-me-be-good-to-you-the-atlantic-stax-recordings-1960-1968-4cd-box-set/

reese
09-02-2020, 08:36 AM
This looks like it will be a good one.

Motown Eddie
09-02-2020, 10:20 AM
Wow! Thanks for the news Nothing But Soul.

Nothing But Soul
09-02-2020, 10:58 AM
Wow! Thanks for the news Nothing But Soul.

You're welcome Motown Eddie.

nabob
09-02-2020, 03:07 PM
Does anyone know if the Stax stereo masters from Atlantic's tenure of possession were lost to some type of calamity? Most of the Stax CDs were mastered in mono, with the exception of Otis Redding and Sam & Dave. I remember an 8-track sampler played on a family road trip that had most tracks wide panned in stereo. Very few of the tracks appeared in stereo on CD. Atlantic had exclusive control over work belonging to Otis and S&D. I fear work belonging to the second tier artists may have been lost.

reese
09-02-2020, 03:45 PM
Does anyone know if the Stax stereo masters from Atlantic's tenure of possession were lost to some type of calamity? Most of the Stax CDs were mastered in mono, with the exception of Otis Redding and Sam & Dave. I remember an 8-track sampler played on a family road trip that had most tracks wide panned in stereo. Very few of the tracks appeared in stereo on CD. Atlantic had exclusive control over work belonging to Otis and S&D. I fear work belonging to the second tier artists may have been lost.

I recall reading that a lot of unreleased Atlantic material was destroyed in a warehouse fire but I don't know if that included unreleased Stax material as well.

I vaguely recall reading a lot of their 60s material was done in mono because they didn't have a stereo deck until Tom Dowd brought one in rather late in their agreement with Atlantic.

Motown Eddie
09-02-2020, 05:39 PM

I haven't heard anything over the years of any of the Stax/Atlantic material being lost to a calamity. Several of the albums from that era appeared in stereo when they were reissued during the 1980's & 90s.