PDA

View Full Version : Clarence Burke Sr. [[Father of the Five Stairsteps) Died At Age 90

test

mr_june
08-30-2020, 04:45 PM
He was given a 2 page notice in the Sunday, Chicago Sun-Times.
https://chicago.suntimes.com/2020/8/28/21401640/clarence-burke-sr-five-stairsteps-chicago-police-department-detectiv

midnightman
08-31-2020, 10:47 PM
Oh wow, the dad outlived the son!

RIP Mr. Burke.

I didn't know he was born in 1930... so that means he was only 18 when Jr. was born.

EDIT: Oh wow, I knew of Clarence Jr. and Cubie dying but I had no idea he outlived two other sons.

That pic of him at the end, he aged real well!

splanky
09-02-2020, 07:24 AM
Clarence Burke Sr certainly lived a full productive life and his progeny made an incredible
impact on American popular music and so I celebrate him. His passing is indeed sad but
not tragic still a complete chronicle of the history of the family would still be welcome.RIP...

motony
09-02-2020, 02:07 PM
I saw the 5 Stairsteps LIVE 3 or 4 times in 60's and the last time in '70 or "71. They were GREAT every time. The first time they opened for the Impressions, 2nd time they were on a bill with new Star Tyrone Davis and others like Bettye Swann & the Unifics. The last time they were just the Stairsteps. Cubie was never with them. Daddy Burke was not there the last time I saw them. Their harmonies were fabulous and they had a good stage act with great choreography.

midnightman
09-03-2020, 12:02 PM
If the 5 Stairsteps had gotten with Atlantic instead of being with Curtis, they could've done songs like "Mony Mony" or whatever. I always thought that song fit them like a glove. Can you imagine Clarence Jr. singing the FUNK out of that song?! But either way, they still left behind a great legacy and I'm sure Clarence Sr. was proud of them. :)