PDA

View Full Version : Higher And Higher

test

masterblaster
08-05-2020, 06:31 AM
This Jackie Wilson classic is the most 'non-Motown' Motown record ever and still gets regular radio play here in the UK. It is well known that a lot of Motown session players featured on the recording but is there a definitive list of who actually contributed to the session. Sorry if this has been asked before.

splanky
08-05-2020, 10:23 AM
This Jackie Wilson classic is the most 'non-Motown' Motown record ever and still gets regular radio play here in the UK. It is well known that a lot of Motown session players featured on the recording but is there a definitive list of who actually contributed to the session. Sorry if this has been asked before.

Barbara Acklin and the Chilites, I'm told, backed Jackie on that song. Also others like
You Got Me Walkin'. There's a lot of folks who'd disagree with you as far as Higher being
the most non Motown Motown song, though...The company's sound made a big impact
and influence on a variety of other singers, producers and even musicians. You guys in
the UK were lucky enough to get the USA born Flirtations whose Nothing But A Heartache
remains a contender for the most non-Motown sound alike...

lockhartgary
08-05-2020, 10:46 AM
According to the entry for "[[Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher" in the Billboard Book of Number One Rhythm and Blues Hits, the Motown players are:

James Jamerson - Bass
Robert White - Guitar
Richard "Pistol" Allen - Drums
Johnny Griffith - Keyboards

By the way, former Satintone Sonny Sanders was the arranger.

masterblaster
08-05-2020, 11:10 AM
Barbara Acklin and the Chilites, I'm told, backed Jackie on that song...
Fisrt time I've heard of the Chilites and on backing vocals, always thought it was The Andantes.

jobucats
08-05-2020, 11:39 AM
As a young guy around when "Higher and Higher" was popular, I, as many others, picked up that if this wasn't some of the Motown musicians doing the backing track, it just HAD to be some mighty fine studio musicians. Another song, around the same time frame, was the song "Everlasting Love" which, to me at the time, surely did sound like a Motown song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj45Gk-FDhk

motony
08-05-2020, 01:10 PM
"Whispers[[Gettin Louder)" which I think was Jackies' hit before the release of "Higher...also had a Motown sound & wouldn't doubt the same players are on it. I also always heard it was the Andantes on bg.

Clifton Miller
08-05-2020, 01:58 PM
As lockharygary has mentioned, "Higher And Higher" is written up in The Billboard Book of Number One Rhythm & Blues Hits." Here's where you can also find information, quoting Billy Davis and Sonny Saunders.

https://www.adampwhite.com/westgrandblog/2017/5/26/mr-excitement?rq=billy%20davis

mowsville
08-05-2020, 03:19 PM
I always thought " I Get The Sweetest Feeling" sounded more Motown than "Higher and Higher".

copley
08-05-2020, 03:40 PM
Andantes did indeed sing on 'Higher & Higher'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/[[Your_Love_Keeps_Lifting_Me)_Higher_and_HigherThe

masterblaster
08-05-2020, 05:45 PM
As lockharygary has mentioned, "Higher And Higher" is written up in The Billboard Book of Number One Rhythm & Blues Hits." Here's where you can also find information, quoting Billy Davis and Sonny Saunders.

https://www.adampwhite.com/westgrandblog/2017/5/26/mr-excitement?rq=billy%20davis

So it would appear that The Andantes did provide background vocals on the track, I think Pat Lewis may also be in the mix. Whoever, it was on the session, it included most of the elite musicians from Motown at that time.

edafan
08-05-2020, 09:02 PM
Just to let you know, I loved it when Richard Street of the Temptations led the entire group in singing "Higher & Higher" at Motown Visits the Apollo

ralpht
08-06-2020, 12:08 PM
I found it interesting that Sonny Sanders was the arranger on the song. I was fortunate to work with Sonny when in The Sunliners he was our producer. Incredibly talented guy.