PDA

View Full Version : most recorded motown song by motown artist

test

honest man
04-04-2011, 11:56 AM
Hello Gang, was playing marvin songs yesterday,one of the songs i listened to was GONNA KEEP ON TRYIN ....,Excellent of course.been recorded bt TEMPTS EDWIN JIMMY RUFFIN etc.got me thinking about other songs recorded by motown artists, i think the most recorded motown song was WHO'S LOVIN YOU, Any other suggestions, cheers.

kenneth
04-04-2011, 12:19 PM
I don't think it was ever a hit by anyone, but I seem to remember that "Gonna Give Her All The Love I Got," was on almost every late 60s-early 70s Motown album.

Motown_M_1056
04-04-2011, 01:27 PM
Money [[That's What I Want ) would also have to be the in the running.

bradsupremes
04-04-2011, 02:35 PM
Ain't No Sun Since You've Been Gone - [[The Temptations, Gladys Knight & The Pips, Chuck Jackson, Diana Ross & The Supremes, The Undisputed Truth)

For Once In My Life - [[Stevie Wonder, Barbara McNair, Martha & The Vandellas, Gladys Knight & The Pips, The Four Tops, The Temptations, Kiki Dee, Sammy Davis Jr., Jonah Jones, Joe Harnell, Soupy Sales, Smokey Robinson & The Miracles)

Everybody Needs Love - [[Gladys Knight & The Pips, The Velvelettes, Jimmy Ruffin, Mary Wells, The Temptations, The Miracles)

....Mostly any Norman Whitfield song

kenneth
04-04-2011, 02:39 PM
For Once In My Life - [[Stevie Wonder, Barbara McNair, Martha & The Vandellas, Gladys Knight & The Pips, The Four Tops, The Temptations, Kiki Dee, Sammy Davis Jr., Jonah Jones, Joe Harnell, Soupy Sales, Smokey Robinson & The Miracles)

I withdraw my previous suggestion and have to go with "For Once in My Life." Not only was it recorded by almost everyone at Motown, but many others as well. I remember that the publishing company "Stein & Van Stock" was created to give the song additional cachet of an old, established publishing firm.

copley
04-04-2011, 02:54 PM
We've done this before. It was indeed 'For Once In My Life'. Also recorded by Diana Ross & The Ding Dongs.

honest man
04-04-2011, 05:25 PM
HA HA well i forgot for once...of course,ok its been done before send song thats been recorded 3 times or more, it cracks me up to delve through tons of songs trying to find version by someone else, send them in fols . MIDNIGHT JOHNNY keep an eye for fantasy duets.

roger
04-04-2011, 06:59 PM
Ain't No Sun Since You've Been Gone - [[The Temptations, Gladys Knight & The Pips, Chuck Jackson, Diana Ross & The Supremes, The Undisputed Truth)

Everybody Needs Love - [[Gladys Knight & The Pips, The Velvelettes, Jimmy Ruffin, Mary Wells, The Temptations, The Miracles)

....Mostly any Norman Whitfield song

Mostly any Norman Whitfield song indeed!!

"I Heard it Through The Grapevine" .. SMOKEY ROBINSON AND THE MIRACLES, GLADYS KNIGHT AND THE PIPS, THE TEMPTATIONS, MARVIN GAYE, THE UNDISPUTED TRUTH .. probably a few other versions too .. :)

And with "Ain't No Sun" GLADYS KNIGHT AND THE PIPS had two distinctly different versions released .. the one on the "Everybody Needs Love" L.P. is very "60s/Northern/Uptempo", the version on the "Nitty Gritty" L.P. is very "psycho-soul/funky".

Roger

rovereab
04-05-2011, 01:47 PM
The Boy From Crosstown seems to have been cut several times!

Eamonn

tomato tom
04-05-2011, 03:27 PM
I wanna be where you are..Michael Jackson / Thelma Houston / Jose Feliciano / Willie Hutch etc Fab song..Paulo xxx

theboyfromxtown
04-05-2011, 03:59 PM
Eamonn...

You'll have to stop throwing those knives at me!

LOL

luke
04-05-2011, 06:11 PM
I just came across I heard It tghrough the Grapevine, on the internet- by Miss Rosetta Hightower!

sophisticated_soul
04-05-2011, 06:23 PM
I just came across I heard It tghrough the Grapevine, on the internet- by Miss Rosetta Hightower!

It's from her 1971 album "Rosetta Hightower" [[her second and last solo album). Of the 11 tracks on the original album 9 were Motown covers and the other two "Abraham, Martin and John" and "River Deep Mountain High" were songs covered by Motown artist.

luke
04-05-2011, 06:50 PM
Is she doing any performing in UK now?