PDA

View Full Version : Sing and Perform Funny Girl: Ultimate Edition 2 CD from Real Gone Music

test

carlo
08-01-2020, 09:12 AM
Thanks to another fan named Craig on Facebook, who found this new product listing on Amazon. Looks like we will be getting the physical version of Funny Girl! Finally!!

https://www.amazon.com/Sing-Perform-Funny-Girl-Ultimate/dp/B08DSZ31ZM/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=supremes+funny+girl&qid=1596287147&rnid=2941120011&s=music&sprefix=supremes+funn&sr=1-3

"Nobody ' no, nobody was gonna rain on Diana Ross and The Supremes' parade. With new member Cindy Birdsong joining Miss Ross and Mary Wilson, the group released no fewer than five albums in 1968, all of which showcased their extraordinary versatility. One of those LPs was to be their only full-length tribute to a classic Broadway score ' and what a tribute it was from three of Motown's 'greatest stars.' Diana Ross & The Supremes Sing and Perform Funny Girl featured the group's dynamic renditions of Jule Styne and Bob Merrill's showstoppers including 'People,' 'Don't Rain on My Parade,' 'I Am Woman,' 'Sadie, Sadie,' and 'The Music That Makes Me Dance.' Yet unbelievably, the album became The Supremes' only album to never be released on CD anywhere in the world'until now! Real Gone Music and Second Disc Records are proud to debut Diana Ross & The Supremes Sing and Perform Funny Girl: The Ultimate Edition, a deluxe 2-CD celebration of this Motown-meets-Broadway gem. Greatly building upon the digital-only Expanded Edition issued in 2015, The Ultimate Edition boasts the original U.S. stereo mix, the rare U.K. mono mix [[with an extended version of Diana's tour de force 'People' which composer Styne called 'equal in every way to Streisand's or anyone else's'), The Supreme Mixes reinstating Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong's original vocals not heard in 1968, and bonus tracks including alternate versions of 'Cornet Man,' 'His Love Makes Me Beautiful,' and 'Sadie, Sadie' as well as live performances of 'I'm the Greatest Star' and the Fanny Brice standard 'My Man.' The Ultimate Edition has been produced by the team of Andrew Skurow, George Solomon, and Joe Marchese [[The Supremes' Ultimate Merry Christmas) and freshly remastered by Kevin Reeves who mixed all of the previously unissued bonus tracks. It's all topped off with a sumptuous 32-page full-color booklet. Designed by George Solomon and John Sellards, it's packed with an exclusive introduction by Mary Wilson, two new essays placing the album in the context of Diana Ross and The Supremes' career and tracing the Broadway-to-Hollywood journey of Funny Girl, an interview with Jule Styne, and a host of beautiful, previously unpublished color photos. Diana Ross & The Supremes Sing and Perform Funny Girl: The Ultimate Edition is the definitive tribute to this tuneful treasure from America's most successful vocal group of all time. Hey world, here it is!"

lucky2012
08-01-2020, 09:28 AM
OMG. Can't wait! Thanks for posting.

reese
08-01-2020, 09:31 AM
Great news. I bought the digital version years back but it will be nice to have a copy that is not "homemade."

I hope they do DIANA SINGS SONGS FROM THE WIZ as well.

mowsville
08-01-2020, 11:24 AM
ABOUT TIME......at last something new on CD...I have a bootleg copy but will deffinately be buying a couple of copies of this..well done to all concerned.

vgalindo
08-01-2020, 01:46 PM
This is great news. . I already have the Digital download and printed the case. But still excited about this release.

luke
08-01-2020, 03:51 PM
“Currently Unavailable “ on Amazon.

JohnnyB
08-01-2020, 04:15 PM
“Currently Unavailable “ on Amazon.

September 25th!!!

luke
08-01-2020, 05:23 PM
Oh. Oops! Thanks. Is Flo on any of these recordings?

JohnnyB
08-01-2020, 05:42 PM
Oh. Oops! Thanks. Is Flo on any of these recordings?

This LP was recording in 1968 after Florence’s departure...

daviddesper
08-01-2020, 06:27 PM
Keep em coming!!!

CD's rock for us old timers!!!

thanxal
08-01-2020, 06:45 PM
Keep em coming!!!

CD's rock for us old timers!!!
That’s too funny... “CDs” for “old timers”. Lol! Times have changed.
I’ll be pre-ordering as soon as it goes live.

kenneth
08-01-2020, 06:50 PM
What great news! I too have the bootleg edition, which is really quite excellent, but this will be worth buying if only for the slightly different track listing than the digital version as well as the 32 page booklet. I didn't do a side-by-side comparison, but it appears there's a bit more material on this than on the download LP.

blackguy69
08-01-2020, 08:50 PM
I think the difference is the additional voices were edited out so that it’s only the girls

monicarivers
08-02-2020, 12:20 AM
Thanks to another fan named Craig on Facebook, who found this new product listing on Amazon. Looks like we will be getting the physical version of Funny Girl! Finally!!

https://www.amazon.com/Sing-Perform-Funny-Girl-Ultimate/dp/B08DSZ31ZM/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=supremes+funny+girl&qid=1596287147&rnid=2941120011&s=music&sprefix=supremes+funn&sr=1-3

"Nobody ' no, nobody was gonna rain on Diana Ross and The Supremes' parade. With new member Cindy Birdsong joining Miss Ross and Mary Wilson, the group released no fewer than five albums in 1968, all of which showcased their extraordinary versatility. One of those LPs was to be their only full-length tribute to a classic Broadway score ' and what a tribute it was from three of Motown's 'greatest stars.' Diana Ross & The Supremes Sing and Perform Funny Girl featured the group's dynamic renditions of Jule Styne and Bob Merrill's showstoppers including 'People,' 'Don't Rain on My Parade,' 'I Am Woman,' 'Sadie, Sadie,' and 'The Music That Makes Me Dance.' Yet unbelievably, the album became The Supremes' only album to never be released on CD anywhere in the world'until now! Real Gone Music and Second Disc Records are proud to debut Diana Ross & The Supremes Sing and Perform Funny Girl: The Ultimate Edition, a deluxe 2-CD celebration of this Motown-meets-Broadway gem. Greatly building upon the digital-only Expanded Edition issued in 2015, The Ultimate Edition boasts the original U.S. stereo mix, the rare U.K. mono mix [[with an extended version of Diana's tour de force 'People' which composer Styne called 'equal in every way to Streisand's or anyone else's'), The Supreme Mixes reinstating Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong's original vocals not heard in 1968, and bonus tracks including alternate versions of 'Cornet Man,' 'His Love Makes Me Beautiful,' and 'Sadie, Sadie' as well as live performances of 'I'm the Greatest Star' and the Fanny Brice standard 'My Man.' The Ultimate Edition has been produced by the team of Andrew Skurow, George Solomon, and Joe Marchese [[The Supremes' Ultimate Merry Christmas) and freshly remastered by Kevin Reeves who mixed all of the previously unissued bonus tracks. It's all topped off with a sumptuous 32-page full-color booklet. Designed by George Solomon and John Sellards, it's packed with an exclusive introduction by Mary Wilson, two new essays placing the album in the context of Diana Ross and The Supremes' career and tracing the Broadway-to-Hollywood journey of Funny Girl, an interview with Jule Styne, and a host of beautiful, previously unpublished color photos. Diana Ross & The Supremes Sing and Perform Funny Girl: The Ultimate Edition is the definitive tribute to this tuneful treasure from America's most successful vocal group of all time. Hey world, here it is!"

So exciting. A tour de force from Miss Ross!

Circa 1824
08-02-2020, 07:00 AM
So exciting. A tour de force from Miss Ross!

Indeed !!!!!

jack020
08-02-2020, 07:30 AM
Nothing on the Real Gone website as yet!

mowsville
08-02-2020, 03:54 PM
Although im excited about this release im not a great show tune fan...I guess we have to be grateful for what we get..Like I said earlier I will buy it because its Motown and we dont get anything nowadays just rehash after rehash of Motowns greatest hits..does anyone know whats happened with ACE and KENT?...would have been nice if the powers that be would have informed us as to whats happening....as soon as the releases stop the people disappear and we never hear from them again..shame.

luke
08-04-2020, 03:35 PM
Now available for preorder on Amazon!

thanxal
08-04-2020, 06:28 PM
Link [[https://www.amazon.com/Sing-Perform-Funny-Girl-Ultimate/dp/B08DSZ31ZM/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Sing+and+perform+Funny+Girl+Real+Gone&qid=1596580019&sr=8-1) to Amazon pre-order.

luke
08-04-2020, 07:25 PM
#78 on Amazon r and b CDs!

Ollie9
08-05-2020, 10:14 AM
There appears to be no delivery to the UK!!.

djessie
08-05-2020, 12:42 PM
There appears to be no delivery to the UK!!.
I noticed that too [[I´m in Europe). But there is a listing on Amazon UK so maybe that will work for us, once you can place an order:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08DSZ31ZM/?coliid=I1REG24BSGQ160&colid=IYUTUPOLVK06&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

jobeterob
08-05-2020, 02:33 PM
https://theseconddisc.com/2020/08/05/dont-rain-on-their-parade-diana-ross-and-the-supremes-funny-girl-comes-to-deluxe-cd-from-second-disc-records-real-gone-music/

SatansBlues
08-05-2020, 02:53 PM
Although im excited about this release im not a great show tune fan...I guess we have to be grateful for what we get..Like I said earlier I will buy it because its Motown and we dont get anything nowadays just rehash after rehash of Motowns greatest hits..does anyone know whats happened with ACE and KENT?...would have been nice if the powers that be would have informed us as to whats happening....as soon as the releases stop the people disappear and we never hear from them again..shame.

I feel the same way. I'm not a fan of show tunes or standards. They tend to leave me bored stiff. I think I will order directly from RGM so that they get the maximum amount of revenue from this release. I love Amazon, but I think Jeff has enough of my money already. lol

George Solomon
08-05-2020, 04:10 PM
We are so happy that the good folks at Real Gone Music are interested in putting our expanded/ultimate editions out on CD. We know "Funny Girl" might not have been first choice for a lot of fans. I'm glad some are happy about it and grateful that it is selling [[#17 Amazon R&B). Universal has to clear the tracks for each project. We submitted 6 expanded editions to be approved. Then we waited [[and waited) then got notice that "Funny Girl" was approved so we went for it, no questions asked. It's not like we were going to say no! So you see, we don't have the final say on what the next release is. We are all hoping that another [[whatever it is) gets a green light soon. We've all been anxious and I'm happy that you all have stayed interested. I think this is a great release. I love the Diana, Mary, Cindy mix of the whole album. There are 13 tracks that weren't on the digital release in 2015 including the UK master for the mono album. There was a white label mono US promo that was a fold of our released stereo album so we didn't use that one. We [[and by we I mean Andy) went to great lengths to get the UK master which was not the same as our US. It wasn't easy with the UK offices closed. This is also the first time we've had a 32 page full color booklet! It includes additional essays and photos. Thank you to everyone who contributed. I hope you like it and I ain't too proud to say, I hope everyone buys it!

LoveSupreme
08-05-2020, 04:13 PM
In the CD's description it states: The Supreme Mixes reinstating Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong’s original vocals not heard in 1968

Does this mean that the original LP was released in 1968 with different background singers in place of Mary and Cindy? If so, does anyone know which singers are filling in for Mary and Cindy. Also, why were their vocals removed? Was it because Styne and Gordy did not feel their vocals were suitable and they decided to replace them? If in fact their vocals were replaced by other singers I can't even imagine how that would have made Mary and Cindy feel. It's like they weren't even a group at this point - - - at least not in the recording studio. It seems like aside from the recordings released with the Temptations all the other recorded output released didn't include Mary or Cindy and were essentially Diana Ross solo records labelled as "Diana Ross & The Supremes". I can see why resentment set in within the group, especially with Mary who was an original group member. I don't blame her, I think anyone in her position would have felt the same way. She's only human. It's actually kind of sad.

SatansBlues
08-05-2020, 04:39 PM
We are so happy that the good folks at Real Gone Music are interested in putting our expanded/ultimate editions out on CD. We know "Funny Girl" might not have been first choice for a lot of fans. I'm glad some are happy about it and grateful that it is selling [[#17 Amazon R&B). Universal has to clear the tracks for each project. We submitted 6 expanded editions to be approved. Then we waited [[and waited) then got notice that "Funny Girl" was approved so we went for it, no questions asked. It's not like we were going to say no! So you see, we don't have the final say on what the next release is. We are all hoping that another [[whatever it is) gets a green light soon. We've all been anxious and I'm happy that you all have stayed interested. I think this is a great release. I love the Diana, Mary, Cindy mix of the whole album. There are 13 tracks that weren't on the digital release in 2015 including the UK master for the mono album. There was a white label mono US promo that was a fold of our released stereo album so we didn't use that one. We [[and by we I mean Andy) went to great lengths to get the UK master which was not the same as our US. It wasn't easy with the UK offices closed. This is also the first time we've had a 32 page full color booklet! It includes additional essays and photos. Thank you to everyone who contributed. I hope you like it and I ain't too proud to say, I hope everyone buys it!
Great to hear from you George! Will Real Gone Music also be releasing the Expanded Edition of the Reflections album as well? If so, I'm all onboard!

George Solomon
08-05-2020, 04:43 PM
The story of the back up vocals is explained in much more detail in the essay and Q&A with Jule Styne. Mary and Cindy are on the 1968 release. There were additional voices added [[The Andantes and Blackberries) for a fuller sound sometimes in addition to their voices and sometimes replacing them and sometimes you're only hearing Mary and Cindy even on the 68 release. The new mix gives you a chance to hear the record by the three Supremes. On a few tracks if there were no Mary and Cindy vocals we didn't use any background at all. And you've got the original album in mono and stereo. Certainly choose whatever mix you prefer.

SatansBlues
08-05-2020, 04:44 PM
In the CD's description it states: The Supreme Mixes reinstating Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong’s original vocals not heard in 1968

Does this mean that the original LP was released in 1968 with different background singers in place of Mary and Cindy? If so, does anyone know which singers are filling in for Mary and Cindy. Also, why were their vocals removed? Was it because Styne and Gordy did not feel their vocals were suitable and they decided to replace them? If in fact their vocals were replaced by other singers I can't even imagine how that would have made Mary and Cindy feel. It's like they weren't even a group at this point - - - at least not in the recording studio. It seems like aside from the recordings released with the Temptations all the other recorded output released didn't include Mary or Cindy and were essentially Diana Ross solo records labelled as "Diana Ross & The Supremes". I can see why resentment set in within the group, especially with Mary who was an original group member. I don't blame her, I think anyone in her position would have felt the same way. She's only human. It's actually kind of sad.
If you search this forum there was a thread that discussed all your questions and more. This was around the time of the digital release of this album.

George Solomon
08-05-2020, 04:46 PM
Great to hear from you George! Will Real Gone Music also be releasing the Expanded Edition of the Reflections album as well? If so, I'm all onboard!
I hope so. We are all itching for "Reflections" but as I said, we'll do whatever gets the green light.

SatansBlues
08-05-2020, 04:51 PM
I hope so. We are all itching for "Reflections" but as I said, we'll do whatever gets the green light.

So are you allowed to say what the other FIVE expanded editions albums were that you submitted for approval?

kenneth
08-05-2020, 05:00 PM
So are you allowed to say what the other FIVE expanded editions albums were that you submitted for approval?

I think this is like asking Joe Biden who he's going to pick for VP...you know he won't answer but you're hoping he'll drop a hint or two!

Great news from Mr. Solomon! I have enjoyed this album much more than when I first bought it. It was really quite gutsy of Gordy to release the girls' versions of Streisand's breakout role. I think they do a great job and the arrangements are different enough that you really don't think about Streisand's performance in comparison. Still, a bold move on Gordy's part and while it wasn't a big seller at the time, I think it does a lot to advance the legacy of Diane, Mary and Cindy, and establish just what they were capable of recording.

SatansBlues
08-05-2020, 05:14 PM
I think this is like asking Joe Biden who he's going to pick for VP...you know he won't answer but you're hoping he'll drop a hint or two!

Great news from Mr. Solomon! I have enjoyed this album much more than when I first bought it. It was really quite gutsy of Gordy to release the girls' versions of Streisand's breakout role. I think they do a great job and the arrangements are different enough that you really don't think about Streisand's performance in comparison. Still, a bold move on Gordy's part and while it wasn't a big seller at the time, I think it does a lot to advance the legacy of Diane, Mary and Cindy, and establish just what they were capable of recording.

Well if you think about it the Supremes had been doing songs from Funnygirl since 1964. The Supremes had been doing People and I Am Woman in their live act since '64/65.

George Solomon
08-05-2020, 05:17 PM
[QUOTE=kenneth;585387]I think this is like asking Joe Biden who he's going to pick for VP...you know he won't answer but you're hoping he'll drop a hint or two!

That's really funny. Maybe not quite as important but close!
You're right, I don't feel at liberty to report the specifics but I'm pretty sure whatever is chosen next, it's not going to disappoint. They've all been highly requested.

lucky2012
08-05-2020, 05:23 PM

Your posts here are always so welcome, George. I ordered from Amazon as soon as I read this. Thank you and Andy for all you are doing and everything you have done for Diana Ross and Supremes fans.

TYK1986
08-05-2020, 05:30 PM
Thanks George and much appreciated. It's good to know there are still people who are willing to release these gems in physical form. Although I listen a lot to music online it still feels better to have a CD in your hands and read from a booklet rather than a computer/laptop screen.

thanxal
08-05-2020, 05:40 PM
[QUOTE=kenneth;585387]I think this is like asking Joe Biden who he's going to pick for VP...you know he won't answer but you're hoping he'll drop a hint or two!

That's really funny. Maybe not quite as important but close!
You're right, I don't feel at liberty to report the specifics but I'm pretty sure whatever is chosen next, it's not going to disappoint. They've all been highly requested.
Wow! Five more ready to go. That's fantastic to hear. I'll "reflect" on what might come next. Perhaps a boxed set of all five?

kenneth
08-05-2020, 07:47 PM
Well if you think about it the Supremes had been doing songs from Funnygirl since 1964. The Supremes had been doing People and I Am Woman in their live act since '64/65.

You're right, and I hadn't thought of that. But still, I think recording a whole album as a tribute to the show was a bold marketing move which really enhanced not only the Supremes' but the entire Motown brand.

Recording whole albums of songs from one show wasn't all that unusual back in the 60s, but sometimes they would misfire because the movie everyone thought would be a smash turned out to be a dud. Think, for example, of Sammy Davis doing all the songs from "Dr. Dolittle." There's no one I'd rather hear sing than Sammy but I have to admit I almost never played his "Dr. Dolittle" album. There's not a lot of memorable songs from that musical, though I do love the song "When I Look in Your Eyes," which in the film Rex Harrison sings to a seal.

Another album the singer probably regretted recording was Ed Ames' "Lost Horizon." I think only one side was devoted to the songs from that film [[which also bombed), but obviously the synergy from tying Ames' album to the film was lacking when the film failed.

luke
08-05-2020, 09:05 PM
#17 for a 50 year old album of a broadway show! Yay George and Andy and the Supremes!

DWSheffer
08-05-2020, 09:51 PM
I think I will order directly from RGM so that they get the maximum amount of revenue from this release. I love Amazon, but I think Jeff has enough of my money already. lol

I agree SatansBlues....I just ordered mine from RGM. Thanks to all of those who had a hand in this release. I happen to enjoy the Funny Girl LP and play it quite regularly, so it will be nice to hear it on CD.
Darin

smallworld
08-05-2020, 10:11 PM
There are 13 tracks that weren't on the digital release in 2015 including the UK master for the mono album. There was a white label mono US promo that was a fold of our released stereo album so we didn't use that one. We [[and by we I mean Andy) went to great lengths to get the UK master which was not the same as our US. It wasn't easy with the UK offices closed. Are you saying that Motown made a dedicated mono mix specifically for the UK/Euro market? Or that they did a better fold for the UK market?

sophisticated_soul
08-05-2020, 10:33 PM
I agree SatansBlues....I just ordered mine from RGM. Thanks to all of those who had a hand in this release. I happen to enjoy the Funny Girl LP and play it quite regularly, so it will be nice to hear it on CD.
Darin

I also pre-ordered directly from RGM. They are a great reissue label. Thanks to everyone involved.:)

vgalindo
08-05-2020, 10:49 PM
Thanks George. This is so exciting. I loved the digital release. So I know this will be absolutely beautiful.

Ollie9
08-06-2020, 12:00 AM
Many thanks for continuing to keep us all informed George. Im a little surprised if somewhat delighted that Universal chose Funny Girl as the first to be given the green light.
News of this forthcoming release is extremely welcome at a time that is proving to be very difficult for us all. It sounds a rather special release and one that myself and i’m sure many others are really looking forward to hearing.
I think it a huge shame Flo was no longer in the group at the the time of the Funny Girl recordings. Her voice would have been perfect backing Diana on songs such as “I’m The Greatest Star” and “Cornet Man”.

vgalindo
08-06-2020, 12:18 AM
I also pre-ordered directly from RGM. They are a great reissue label. Thanks to everyone involved.:)
Do you have a link? I don’t see it listed on their website and also would like to order from them.

jack020
08-06-2020, 04:22 AM
https://shop.realgonemusic.com/products/the-supremes-sing-and-perform-funny-girl-2cd-set?_pos=2&_sid=6c75e5298&_ss=r

Jimi LaLumia
08-06-2020, 07:50 AM
just pre ordered this on Amazon..

SatansBlues
08-06-2020, 10:56 AM
I just pre-ordered mine directly from RGM, their list price is just $19.99, plus $3.99 for shipping. It's listed for $27.99 on Amazon.

thanxal
08-06-2020, 11:19 AM
I just pre-ordered mine directly from RGM, their list price is just $19.99, plus $3.99 for shipping. It's listed for $27.99 on Amazon.
Hey! Now that's super helpful info! Thanks for saving me a few bucks.

lucky2012
08-06-2020, 11:37 AM

Hey thanks, I'll order my second copy from RGM.

George Solomon
08-06-2020, 12:11 PM
Are you saying that Motown made a dedicated mono mix specifically for the UK/Euro market? Or that they did a better fold for the UK market?
Motown issued a DIFFERENT stereo master to the UK to be used for their mono master and yes it was folded in the UK. We didn't want to use the US fold of the stereo album. It had to be something special. I have to applaud the folks at Real Gone for persisting that the unique master for the UK be found. So when listening to the mono version on the new CD you can hear subtle differences [[and not so subtle... the long version of "People.") I also have to thank friends in the UK who sent me vinyl rips of their LPs so I could be absolutely sure we got it right.

marybrewster
08-06-2020, 01:34 PM
#5 R & B
#36 CDs & Vinyl

By George, I think you have a hit on your hands!

LoveSupreme
08-06-2020, 03:29 PM
The story of the back up vocals is explained in much more detail in the essay and Q&A with Jule Styne. Mary and Cindy are on the 1968 release. There were additional voices added [[The Andantes and Blackberries) for a fuller sound sometimes in addition to their voices and sometimes replacing them and sometimes you're only hearing Mary and Cindy even on the 68 release. The new mix gives you a chance to hear the record by the three Supremes. On a few tracks if there were no Mary and Cindy vocals we didn't use any background at all. And you've got the original album in mono and stereo. Certainly choose whatever mix you prefer.

Thank you George

LoveSupreme
08-06-2020, 03:31 PM
If you search this forum there was a thread that discussed all your questions and more. This was around the time of the digital release of this album.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll look up the thread.

LoveSupreme
08-06-2020, 03:35 PM
I guess it's safe to say that any new expanded or special editions from Motown are not going to be released by Universal/Motown themselves? It seems they are licensing these out to boutique labels like RealGone music.

Not a complaint, just a curious observation. I'll take the product any way I can get it. These releases are pretty much definitive.

I am really looking forward to a "Reflections" release, although I still believe they should have released that for its 50th anniversary. Missed opportunities....

sup_fan
08-06-2020, 04:49 PM
I guess it's safe to say that any new expanded or special editions from Motown are not going to be released by Universal/Motown themselves? It seems they are licensing these out to boutique labels like RealGone music.

Not a complaint, just a curious observation. I'll take the product any way I can get it. These releases are pretty much definitive.

I am really looking forward to a "Reflections" release, although I still believe they should have released that for its 50th anniversary. Missed opportunities....

i was wondering the same thing. Maybe part of the delay in things is that Universal is no longer interested in releasing these cd sets themselves. so trying to organize and set things up for another group to do so.

djessie
08-07-2020, 10:20 AM
Thanks for all the info George. I am very happy that Funny Girl is finally coming out on CD, and as a deluxe! Hoping to order it from Amazon UK, since the US one does not ship top my country.

I really hope that Ross´78, Reflections, Baby It´s Me and Sings Songs From The Wiz are included in the batch of the other five. In any case, I am just thrilled to see more physical deluxe editions coming out!

WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance
08-07-2020, 10:37 AM
SOLD. You sold me. I was on the fence, but now I'm just fallen off of it on the side of MUST HAVE. I appreciate too that you outlined just what goes on with getting these approved and released. The fact that it's "Funny Girl" that was approved is very interesting and whatever the reasoning behind it, well now, I just may buy two. No, I WILL buy two of 'em.

Ollie9
08-07-2020, 12:00 PM
Thanks for all the info George. I am very happy that Funny Girl is finally coming out on CD, and as a deluxe! Hoping to order it from Amazon UK, since the US one does not ship top my country.

I really hope that Ross´78, Reflections, Baby It´s Me and Sings Songs From The Wiz are included in the batch of the other five. In any case, I am just thrilled to see more physical deluxe editions coming out!

Hopefully Amazon UK will be selling soon. I had forgotten all about Ross 78....

George Solomon
08-07-2020, 05:38 PM
SOLD. You sold me. I was on the fence, but now I'm just fallen off of it on the side of MUST HAVE. I appreciate too that you outlined just what goes on with getting these approved and released. The fact that it's "Funny Girl" that was approved is very interesting and whatever the reasoning behind it, well now, I just may buy two. No, I WILL buy two of 'em.

Thank you for the kind words. It's much appreciated

daviddh
08-07-2020, 06:29 PM
Thank you George ..Andy..Kevin and team.
I'm also sold. Looking forward to hearing this

WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance
08-07-2020, 06:30 PM
Thank you for the kind words. It's much appreciated

See the power you have? I went from 3% interest to "I'm All In!" I'm still grateful for those Marvelettes box sets. You guys really were amazing about asking our input on things, especially the differences in the mono/stereo version of The Pink Album. That meant a lot to me and now knowing the same care is built in to the Funny Girl set, I gotta support all that hard work. I'm actually now very excited about hearing this album.

mysterysinger
08-07-2020, 06:43 PM
Have the digital download and it's great not to have to strain to read the booklet as it can be viewed on the PC. Will deffo buy the CD. Well done and thanks all - something exciting to look forward to.

jack020
08-08-2020, 04:48 AM
Ordered from the RG website. Shipping to Holland 10 $ but still cheaper than ordering from the Amazon US website at the moment:). Lets see how long it will take to get here....

gordy_hunk
08-08-2020, 07:59 AM
I'm really pleased that this is now being issued on CD. Until George wrote about the differences in the versions between UK and US, I had no idea there were any.

George and Andy - many thanks for the information and I appreciate all that you both do for us.

kenneth
08-08-2020, 04:32 PM

I totally agree! To me, the worst thing would be to find out the vaults are empty! As long as we know there's still some hidden treasures, we can hope we get to hear them!

TheMotownManiac
08-08-2020, 06:35 PM
I totally agree! To me, the worst thing would be to find out the vaults are empty! As long as we know there's still some hidden treasures, we can hope we get to hear them!

I feel the same way and it helps greatly with my frustration with the expanded release schedule. I was kind of hoping that they would be releasing more things because of Covid and people being stuck home might be more apt to Purchase music, but evidently that’s not the case.

Funny girl is by far my least favorite Supremes album, even though I love the score, and I love Diana Ross and the Supremes, the project just doesn’t work for me. That being said, I have ordered two copies one for myself that will rarely get played and one as a gift to someone who will rarely play it but still probably play more than I will - [[he wouldn’t ordinarily have bought it,) because I want to be as supportive as possible.

keep nagging them, George! Let us know if there’s anything we can do to help!

jobucats
08-10-2020, 11:31 AM
I was just watching a performance on YouTube of the ladies performing "Cornet Man". From reading the YouTuber's description and many of the comments, it is suggested that Barbra Streisand was unhappy that this project was coming into fruition back in 1968. Through my research, I can find no statements regarding whether Barbara liked it or not or whether she approved of it or not. Can someone direct me to where I might find such documentation other than "I read it somewhere"? Thanks

sup_fan
08-10-2020, 11:38 AM
i've not seen an actual quote from Barbra or a magazine article about it.

In Call Her Miss Ross, Randy mentions that Barbra wasn't pleased and said something like "the world doesn't need two Barbra Streisands!"

His book is quite well annotated. i'm not sure of the source he cites with this story but you could check there

jobucats
08-10-2020, 11:58 AM
i've not seen an actual quote from Barbra or a magazine article about it.

In Call Her Miss Ross, Randy mentions that Barbra wasn't pleased and said something like "the world doesn't need two Barbra Streisands!"

His book is quite well annotated. i'm not sure of the source he cites with this story but you could check there

Hey, thanks. I do have that book and I will be checking for those references. EDIT: I just found that reference on pages 198-199. Randy wrote, "Barbra Streisand reported said of Diana" and then goes on to 'quote her' along with making a statement that she was upset that Gordy had released their album around the same time as her movie. Randy does have an outstanding bibliography of sources; however, I can't pinpoint which one goes with his reference to Barbra Streisand and Funny Girl.

sup_fan
08-10-2020, 12:00 PM
let me know what you find!

nathanj06
08-10-2020, 03:04 PM
Funny Girl huh...and in who's lifetime will Reflections, Love Child, Sunshine and Cream Of The Crop show up. Not to mention TCB, GIT, Farewell and the few early tribute albums. A release every couple years. I for one have lost faith. I see the Jimmy Webb CD on amazon and think how insane that was. The original Supremes could have been done years ago. The fans for these are dwindling.

monicarivers
08-10-2020, 03:29 PM
Hey, thanks. I do have that book and I will be checking for those references. EDIT: I just found that reference on pages 198-199. Randy wrote, "Barbra Streisand reported said of Diana" and then goes on to 'quote her' along with making a statement that she was upset that Gordy had released their album around the same time as her movie. Randy does have an outstanding bibliography of sources; however, I can't pinpoint which one goes with his reference to Barbra Streisand and Funny Girl.

Does anyone know if Diana and Barbra have ever met? Surely they ran/run in overlapping circles and Babs and Brolin were at the Legends Ball. I’d be curious...

Circa 1824
08-10-2020, 04:35 PM
Does anyone know if Diana and Barbra have ever met? Surely they ran/run in overlapping circles and Babs and Brolin were at the Legends Ball. I’d be curious...

In the 70’s, Ross had a party in her California home for Mick Jagger and the Stones. The guest list was tight and enforced. Streisand showed up with friends who were not on the guest list, and the friends were refused entry. Streisand left with her friends.

sup_fan
08-10-2020, 04:50 PM
Funny Girl huh...and in who's lifetime will Reflections, Love Child, Sunshine and Cream Of The Crop show up. Not to mention TCB, GIT, Farewell and the few early tribute albums. A release every couple years. I for one have lost faith. I see the Jimmy Webb CD on amazon and think how insane that was. The original Supremes could have been done years ago. The fans for these are dwindling.

keep in mind George and Andy may or may not have much say in what gets the green light. if i had my choice, i too might pick something else from the vaults. But this does at least have some additional unreleased content so there is some value there. plus the digital book is said to be different

if this release shows strong sales, that could impact future releases. if this release does NOT have strong sales, that too could impact future releases

monicarivers
08-10-2020, 06:40 PM
In the 70’s, Ross had a party in her California home for Mick Jagger and the Stones. The guest list was tight and enforced. Streisand showed up with friends who were not on the guest list, and the friends were refused entry. Streisand left with her friends.

Source please! Thank you!

Circa 1824
08-10-2020, 07:34 PM
Source please! Thank you!

my memory. Lol

Diana’s husband was involved in the Stones management. The party was in all the papers, as was Streisand’s rather angry exit.

daviddh
08-10-2020, 08:16 PM
Diana n Barbara have met.
Both have been to see each other's shows

lakeside
08-11-2020, 09:37 AM
Just ordered mine from RGM. Thanks George, Andy and everyone involved in bringing
this to light. Keep em coming!

nathanj06
08-11-2020, 01:18 PM
keep in mind George and Andy may or may not have much say in what gets the green light. if i had my choice, i too might pick something else from the vaults. But this does at least have some additional unreleased content so there is some value there. plus the digital book is said to be different

if this release shows strong sales, that could impact future releases. if this release does NOT have strong sales, that too could impact future releases

I understand but it's been a slow boat to China. I do appreciate George and Andy's work along with all involved. It's just been so frustrating when you see a hundred re-issues of What's Going On, Beatles all over the place [[which is a good thing), and then there's Elvis. It seems The Supremes somehow lost their status in the history of music. I see so many "odd" releases from Real Gone and other labels which leave you scratching your head. But I know the rest of you are as eager as I am to actually see these expanded editions a bit quicker???

sansradio
08-11-2020, 01:39 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m1GmQJPOY4

sup_fan
08-11-2020, 06:37 PM
I understand but it's been a slow boat to China. I do appreciate George and Andy's work along with all involved. It's just been so frustrating when you see a hundred re-issues of What's Going On, Beatles all over the place [[which is a good thing), and then there's Elvis. It seems The Supremes somehow lost their status in the history of music. I see so many "odd" releases from Real Gone and other labels which leave you scratching your head. But I know the rest of you are as eager as I am to actually see these expanded editions a bit quicker???

agreed. you have the age-old problem of the Sups simply not being respected as artists. That they were a contrived vehicle for Diana. and while they were a platform for her launch into superstardom, it's unfortunate that the industry refuses to recognize their contribution. frankly even DR is slighted to some degree with this. If it wasn't for her massive number of hits, i bet the industry would poopoo her too. The fact that she and the group weren't "black enough" or didn't write their own content.

kenneth
08-11-2020, 06:38 PM

Absolutely...no doubt about it. But when it comes to the Supremes, we have been treated pretty well overall. I keep wondering what a deep dive into some of the other artists' catalogs would result in. The girl groups have been mined pretty thoroughly. We've had the two Marvelettes box sets which supposedly encompassed all their previously unreleased tracks. Martha and the Vandellas, too, have had several releases which included vault tracks [["Spellbound," the 3rd disk of the "50th Anniversary Singles"), but we really haven't had any expanded editions for the Temptations, the 4 Tops and even Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, although they've each had a "Lost and Found" and other tracks which have come out on several various artists packages. But I'd love to see some of the guys get the kind of attention the Supremes have got.

Maybe, after all, this goes to show that the Supremes truly were the flagship act at Motown, and the girl groups in general seem to typify the "Motown Sound." But it'd be great to see some of the guys get some equal time!

khansperac
08-11-2020, 06:51 PM
Mary writing that book and her TV interviews did much harm to the credibility of the Supremes.

Ollie9
08-12-2020, 06:37 AM

I agree that much is appreciated. The fact remains that the market for these expanded releases is not going to multiply as the years pass.. It’s just unfortunate that their fate remains in the seemingly disinterested hands of Universal execs.
With the release of Funny Girl, there is a chink of light that waiting times may start to decrease.....Forever the optimist.

sup_fan
08-12-2020, 11:14 AM
Absolutely...no doubt about it. But when it comes to the Supremes, we have been treated pretty well overall. I keep wondering what a deep dive into some of the other artists' catalogs would result in. The girl groups have been mined pretty thoroughly. We've had the two Marvelettes box sets which supposedly encompassed all their previously unreleased tracks. Martha and the Vandellas, too, have had several releases which included vault tracks [["Spellbound," the 3rd disk of the "50th Anniversary Singles"), but we really haven't had any expanded editions for the Temptations, the 4 Tops and even Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, although they've each had a "Lost and Found" and other tracks which have come out on several various artists packages. But I'd love to see some of the guys get the kind of attention the Supremes have got.

Maybe, after all, this goes to show that the Supremes truly were the flagship act at Motown, and the girl groups in general seem to typify the "Motown Sound." But it'd be great to see some of the guys get some equal time!

i think it's also a matter of the Supremes [[while Diana was in the group) was not only the flagship but also Berry's key focus. he was looking for any and every outlet in which to promote and highlight them. And also constantly searching for any sound, style or song with could be a big hit. When you have a mega hit, it only makes sense to quickly push an album out to accompany it, so you'll need another 10 or so songs.

I'd guess that for every tune MRATV or the Tops or Miracles recorded, the Sups recorded 10. Plus they had so many concept albums being developed or considered. no one else had such a varied discography at motown. also i'm excluding the Christmas albums since EVERYONE in the world has one of those:

Tops - 1 specialty album
Temps - 1 specialty album not counting the tv specials
stevie - 2, tribute to uncle ray and with a song in my heart
Marvin - 3, soulful moods, hello broadway, nat king cole
Miracles - none
MRATV - none
Marvelettes - none

Supremes - 5 that were released

kenneth
08-13-2020, 12:10 PM
@sup_fan, Nice to consider the various specialty albums recorded by the other groups. It's funny, but nowadays I listen more to the specialty albums than I do the hit albums, probably because I've heard the well known songs so many times.

I really love Gaye's "Hello Broadway" and "Tribute to Nat King Cole," and often listen to them together. I think Gaye's "When I'm Alone I Cry" nearly counts as a specialty album because it's so Sinatra-influenced. "Soulful Moods", IMHO, is still a little rough around the edges but "Alone" I think is a great piece.

For the Tempts, I'm assuming "In a Mellow Mood," and for the Tops "On Broadway." Both are excellent albums as well, and I should definitely play them more often.

I love Stevie's "Uncle Ray," but someone on the forum pointed out to me that what I probably don't like about his almost falsetto on "With a Song in My Heart" was because his voice was changing!

Interesting list!

sup_fan
08-13-2020, 12:29 PM
the fact that Motown was pushing this music is stunning, shocking and spectacular. it was so against the pop mentality at the time but it really did add significant career longevity for many of these artists.

i do think though that this added to the problem of why motown artists lack the industry respect. mary referred to something similar in Dreamgirl about a sort of reverse discrimination. That by that later 60s, blacks had to sound like Aretha or sing heavy r&b or gospel. and if they didn't, they were true black artists.

people see Diana Ross or the Supremes as "black women" but with a sound that differs from Patti or Aretha. therefore they much have sold out to the white powers that be within the industry.

mwmr
08-13-2020, 01:52 PM
Mary writing that book and her TV interviews did much harm to the credibility of the Supremes.

or she kept the legacy high and public interest

Ollie9
08-13-2020, 01:58 PM

I think that very much the case whether one likes it or not.

sup_fan
08-13-2020, 02:51 PM

agreed - i do think Mary has helped to keep the Supremes' name in public mind

aarondillon2011@gmail.com
08-15-2020, 12:23 PM
I ordered 2 copies from Real Gone. I also have a question for anyone who has ordered from them before. Do they ship with the USP? With the recent postal service issues/delays was wondering if I should contact them and see if they would be able to use Fedex or UPS?

carlo
08-15-2020, 04:30 PM
I ordered 2 copies from Real Gone. I also have a question for anyone who has ordered from them before. Do they ship with the USP? With the recent postal service issues/delays was wondering if I should contact them and see if they would be able to use Fedex or UPS?

Good question. If they ship with USPS, you can expect delays, especially if you're an international customer. All of my packages from the States to Canada have taken at least a month or two. My latest package arrived this week and took three weeks, so the delays might be getting better? It may also depend where they ship from. I've noticed anything that has come through LAX has taken the longest. I've read that there are huge backlogs. Unfortunately our Canadian mail system has been falling apart for some time now too, even pre-pandemic. Anything being ordered and delivered through the mail right now will require some patience.

benross
08-15-2020, 05:20 PM
Is there a stereo version of the extended version of People on either disc?

George Solomon
08-15-2020, 08:58 PM
Is there a stereo version of the extended version of People on either disc?
Yes, Kevin Reeves did a stereo mix of the extended "People" and it's on disc 2 along with the Diana, Mary, Cindy remix of the whole album.

djessie
08-16-2020, 12:02 PM
Just ordered from Amazon UK:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08DSZ31ZM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ollie9
08-16-2020, 03:57 PM
Just ordered from Amazon UK:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08DSZ31ZM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks djessie. Have also ordered for a 2nd October delivery.

carlo
08-16-2020, 05:58 PM
Now finally available to order through Amazon Canada as well...

https://www.amazon.ca/Sing-Perform-Funny-Girl-Ultimate/dp/B08DSZ31ZM/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=supreme+funny+girl+cd&qid=1597254917&sr=8-3

jack020
09-03-2020, 02:40 AM
Got a shipping notice from RG yesterday!

paul_nixon
09-03-2020, 03:14 AM
Yes, Kevin Reeves did a stereo mix of the extended "People" and it's on disc 2 along with the Diana, Mary, Cindy remix of the whole album.

This set is going to be amazing and deserves our full support - while it may not be my first choice in an expanded edition it is at least something to 'keep the lights on' and will appeal to the girls fans as well as Broadway fans so will have a good chance of being very successful. I can't wait to hear it all - let alone look at that sumptuous booklet.

thanxal
09-03-2020, 07:24 AM
Since I already have the digital version and it's not one of my obsessive favorites, I very well may leave it sealed for posterity [[or my posterior, not sure which!).

johnjeb
09-03-2020, 09:56 AM

Good to know. I just ordered 2 copies last night and was surprised that my order confirmation stated it was being prepared for shipment!

nathanj06
09-03-2020, 03:24 PM
Amazon pre-sell $27.99? Real Gone $19.99? Maybe amazon is free shipping and Real Gone has shipping.

SatansBlues
09-03-2020, 03:33 PM

I got my notice today!!!

johnjeb
09-03-2020, 03:43 PM
Amazon pre-sell $27.99? Real Gone $19.99? Maybe amazon is free shipping and Real Gone has shipping.

With my Real Gone order for 2 CDs I was charged $6.00 for shipping for a total of $46.00.

I have Amazon Prime so even with free shipping my order would have been $59.50, including tax, unless the price goes down to match Real Gone.

Now we'll see how USPS can handle the delivery vs. how Amazon would have shipped, either direct or with USPS.

Edit: Just received my shipping confirmation.

vgalindo
09-03-2020, 05:07 PM
Got my notification and tracking number from Real Gone. So exciting. So glad I didn’t order from Amazon. My shipments from Amazon take forever. I pre ordered Diana Ross’ Supertonic as soon as it was available. Didn’t receive until 3 weeks after the release date.

daviddh
09-03-2020, 07:27 PM
Got my notice.on it's way

monicarivers
09-04-2020, 02:33 AM
Got my notification and tracking number from Real Gone. So exciting. So glad I didn’t order from Amazon. My shipments from Amazon take forever. I pre ordered Diana Ross’ Supertonic as soon as it was available. Didn’t receive until 3 weeks after the release date.

Me too! Very excited!

Laurent
09-04-2020, 03:58 AM
Got my notice too ! It's on the way, I can't wait :). I hope it won't take too long to reach France.
I know it's not the case for many of you but this album is one of the favorite of mine and I'm really glad it's released on CD, and with extra versions... [[sure it was worth the wait:)).

vgalindo
09-04-2020, 05:39 PM
I got my tracking information from the postal service. Will be delivered on Tuesday the 8th. Would have been Monday the 7th but because of the holiday. I can hardly wait. Love this album.

DJMoch
09-04-2020, 05:51 PM
I'm a little confused about the bonus tracks on Disc 2. The 2014 LP remix featured alternate vocals on the same three tracks [[Cornet Man, His Love Makes Me and Sadie Sadie) that are marked as unreleased here [[tracks 11-13, disc 2). Are these the same alternate vocals from 2014 with a new remix, or yet more alternate vocals from the vault? Regardless, I'm so excited to see this have a proper CD release. I just got the shipping notification yesterday.

thanxal
09-04-2020, 06:57 PM
I'm a little confused about the bonus tracks on Disc 2. The 2014 LP remix featured alternate vocals on the same three tracks [[Cornet Man, His Love Makes Me and Sadie Sadie) that are marked as unreleased here [[tracks 11-13, disc 2). Are these the same alternate vocals from 2014 with a new remix, or yet more alternate vocals from the vault? Regardless, I'm so excited to see this have a proper CD release. I just got the shipping notification yesterday.
Wait! There was an LP release in 2014? How'd I miss that?

DJMoch
09-04-2020, 07:04 PM
The remastered album was originally released digitally back in 2014. Along with the original stereo LP, they remixed all the LP tracks to feature Cindy and Mary's backing vocals without the Andantes.

thanxal
09-04-2020, 07:11 PM
The remastered album was originally released digitally back in 2014. Along with the original stereo LP, they remixed all the LP tracks to feature Cindy and Mary's backing vocals without the Andantes.
Ok. I thought I'd have to give my "Supremes Gold Membership Club" card back. I thought you meant Funny Girl was pressed onto vinyl in 2014.

George Solomon
09-04-2020, 08:42 PM

The alternate vocals on Cornet Man, His Love Makes Me Beautiful and Sadie Sadie are the same alternates that were on the 2014 digital release. New to this Ultimate Edition are tracks 7, 8 and 9 on Disc 2 which uses for the first time a new mix of the 1968 released Diana vocal with Mary and Cindy on background vocals. We placed those released vocals back in their proper place on the album and used the 2014 alternates as bonus tracks 11, 12 and 13. Apologies if the press release is confusing. I hope that clears it up and we’re happy you’re excited about this release. We are so happy with the positive response and grateful to the fans who support these releases.

DJMoch
09-04-2020, 10:22 PM
Thank you for clearing that up for me, George. Much appreciated.

09-05-2020, 02:45 PM
Arrived today and listening now. Love the packaging. It is just fantastic to finally have this on CD. Thank you all involved in making this happen. Just one more album to go to get a official CD release.

vgalindo
09-05-2020, 06:26 PM
Arrived today and listening now. Love the packaging. It is just fantastic to finally have this on CD. Thank you all involved in making this happen. Just one more album to go to get a official CD release.
Just got mine today too. It’s so beautiful. Can’t wait to listen tonight.

lakeside
09-05-2020, 06:40 PM
Got mine today. Skipped disc one and went immediately to disc two so I could
finally hear Mary and Cindy. Fond memories of a different time. Great booklet.

sophisticated_soul
09-05-2020, 06:51 PM
Mine arrived today as well. I can hardly believe it, Funny Girl finally on CD! Top to bottom it's a beautiful package. Thank you to everyone involved, with special thanks to Real Gone for picking up the mantle. And hopefully getting us back on track for more Diana Ross/Supremes releases.

There is a lovely and much deserved tribute to John Perrone [[Midnight Johnny) in the booklet. Awesome.

lakeside
09-05-2020, 08:46 PM
Mine arrived today as well. I can hardly believe it, Funny Girl finally on CD! Top to bottom it's a beautiful package. Thank you to everyone involved, with special thanks to Real Gone for picking up the mantle. And hopefully getting us back on track for more Diana Ross/Supremes releases.

There is a lovely and much deserved tribute to John Perrone [[Midnight Johnny) in the booklet. Awesome.
Thanks for mentioning John Perrone. Much deserved and a huge thanks to RGM.

sophisticated_soul
09-06-2020, 12:33 AM
Thanks for mentioning John Perrone. Much deserved and a huge thanks to RGM.

It is such a fitting tribute to John to be included as part of this long awaited release.

JohnnyB
09-06-2020, 01:40 AM
It is such a fitting tribute to John to be included as part of this long awaited release.

I haven’t received my copies yet, but I am so happy to know a tribute to John is included. John and his radio show have been a special addition to these releases. He is truly missed.

sophisticated_soul
09-06-2020, 04:24 AM

. .

carlo
09-06-2020, 04:50 PM
That tribute to John is so nice. He would have been so touched by that. Thank you for sharing, Sophisticated_Soul!

thanxal
09-06-2020, 05:03 PM

. .
That is so nice and so fitting. He is sorely missed.

sophisticated_soul
09-06-2020, 08:05 PM
That tribute to John is so nice. He would have been so touched by that. Thank you for sharing, Sophisticated_Soul!

Your welcome Carlo. It is a wonderful tribute.:)

floyjoy678
09-06-2020, 08:32 PM
John's extended remix for "Someday We'll Be Together" came on my playlist today while I was doing yard work. I thought how much I used to love listening to his radio show and loved when he'd showcase a Supremes expanded edition. He had such warm and relaxing voice. It was made for night time radio. He is missed.

SatansBlues
09-08-2020, 02:41 PM
It came today, my forever came today!
I'm reading thru the liner notes and the interview with J. Styne.

thanxal
09-08-2020, 05:43 PM
Just got mine in the mail and I am so delighted to see it. I'm trying not to open it, but it looks so good on the outside, just like the other EEs. I can't wait to see the remaining albums. I'll buy two of everything else. One for opening and one for keeping sealed. Thanks to George, Andy, Kevin and the entire team behind getting this into our hands!!!

fightingirish46
09-08-2020, 06:08 PM
I haven’t received my copies yet, but I am so happy to know a tribute to John is included. John and his radio show have been a special addition to these releases. He is truly missed.

he is truly missed. Was hoping to meet him when I went to Ptown. You know he surely would have been having a show dedicated to this release.

monicarivers
09-08-2020, 08:35 PM
Mine arrived today! As if today weren't "funny" enough, here's that performance from Ed Sullivan that was uploaded by their channel today!

https://youtu.be/lDO20-rCGS0

marybrewster
09-08-2020, 10:59 PM
I can only echo all of the sentiments above. Am shocked how quickly it shipped at such a great price! Real Gone hit it out of the park with this one!

luckyluckyme
09-09-2020, 07:14 AM
Mine arrived yesterday and I am lovin' it. I hope and pray that Real Gone Music can keep the Motown releases comin'. Although it was disheartening to us die-hard 'oldsters' when the 2014 release was digital only, the interim allowed time for the wonderful team involved to create an even greater product- a 2020 mix of the second disc, 3 restored selections, an expanded booklet with fantastic photos. Tremendous thanks to all involved.
And I bet I'm not the only one who can imagine some of the dialogue/interplay with George & Andy that John Perrone would use to present this collection on Nightflight if he were still on this side of eternity.

nathanj06
09-09-2020, 01:05 PM
Frustrating as it is waiting for Reflections, this Funny Girl edition is just as magnificent as the rest. Once again Andy, George and co. did their magic. Down to every detail including the Motown label. The only thing I don't care for anymore are those awful CD trays. I'd prefer the discs to be slid into a side pocket. Fantastic job guys.

luckyluckyme
09-09-2020, 01:51 PM
....... The only thing I don't care for anymore are those awful CD trays. I'd prefer the discs to be slid into a side pocket. Fantastic job guys.

Your observation reminded me of something. When I went to remove a disc from the tray, it was so tight I feared I would crack the cd in half. No matter how many times I tried, it just didn't seem to loosen up at all. When I looked carefully at the cd packaging, placed flat upon the computer desk, a mental light bulb went on.
Frustrated, I changed my approach. I slid part of the packaging off the corner of the desk but supported it with my hand. With my other hand pushing down on the hub, there was enough flex for the cd to now be removed easily without damage. Others may already do this, but for me it was a new discovery. And if it helps anyone else who is as dumb as me, it is well worth sharing.

johnjeb
09-09-2020, 02:28 PM
Your observation reminded me of something. When I went to remove a disc from the tray, it was so tight I feared I would crack the cd in half. No matter how many times I tried, it just didn't seem to loosen up at all. When I looked carefully at the cd packaging, placed flat upon the computer desk, a mental light bulb went on.
Frustrated, I changed my approach. I slid part of the packaging off the corner of the desk but supported it with my hand. With my other hand pushing down on the hub, there was enough flex for the cd to now be removed easily without damage. Others may already do this, but for me it was a new discovery. And if it helps anyone else who is as dumb as me, it is well worth sharing.

These discs seemed even more difficult to remove than previous discs/sets. In the past I did find it easier to use a flexible surface, like a couch cushion or pillow, rather than a firm surface, such as a table or desk.

Last night I discovered, or rediscovered, that it helped to push down on the center of the hub. I think what is difficult is that the indentations are at the four corners of the tray. Older CD cases allowed you to grab the top or bottom of the CD.

Regardless this Ultimate Edition is wonderful. It's great to have the CD and booklet professionally packaged rather than CD-Rs and loose pages of text from the digital download.

ejluther
09-09-2020, 03:14 PM
And I bet I'm not the only one who can imagine some of the dialogue/interplay with George & Andy that John Perrone would use to present this collection on Nightflight if he were still on this side of eternity.
You are correct! One of the very best things about these releases was always the radio show with John...missing him and his passion and energy...while he can’t be replaced is there any chance we can hear similar stories on a podcast or something? I think Andy, George, etc. could do a terrific podcast just talking about all their experiences in the music biz...how ‘bout it, guys?

carlo
09-09-2020, 05:43 PM
In response to those having trouble getting the discs out of the tight plastic holders, one trick I learned is to use both of your thumbs to lift the edge of the disc, with your thumbs at two different points of the edge, so your two points of contact with the disc form a 90 degree angle, while you use your fingers to press on the middle spindle as leverage. Of course, you will want to do this slowly and as gently as possible, without bending the disc too much. If needed, you can repeat this step and move your thumbs along the opposite edges, still maintaining the 90 degree angle. It should come out safely. I've been through this far too many times and have sadly cracked a disc or two, in the past, using the wrong technique. If you plan to play the CDs often and don't want to deal with the tight tray holders everytime, I recommend temporarily putting the discs in those paper cd envelopes, for easier access.

daviddh
09-10-2020, 07:02 PM
Got my funny girl cd today.
Beautifully done.thx to Andy...George ...harry....Kevin and team.
Not my favorite album but it has grown on me.
Love cd with Mary and Cindy's vocals.no reason why they were not used to begin with.
I like the idea of this album being recorded with a full orchestra. I would have went with jules styne plan but BG had to have it his way.just my opinion.
But then again I always thought of the Supremes singing funny girl was rediculous. Still think so .I would have done a more of a Broadway collection with a few songs from FG.
Even later Diana singing don't rain on my parade just grates my nerves and streisand's from what I heard.
Seems some had a serious affection for Babs.
Anyway. A great job to all.
Thank you for bringing us more Motown gems

nathanj06
09-12-2020, 05:00 PM

You're not dumb at all. Some of these even when you press the hub they won't pop out. Same for DVDs. You shouldn't have to work to get a CD out of it's sleeve. Many digipaks are made with the CD simply slid inside like an LP back when. These trays are horrible. Look, for example, how they packaged The Jean Terrell Years. The same can be done with these tri-fold digipaks which, by the way, are a 100% better than the old plastic jewel cases.

carlo
09-12-2020, 05:14 PM
Look, for example, how they packaged The Jean Terrell Years. The same can be done with these tri-fold digipaks which, by the way, are a 100% better than the old plastic jewel cases.

Agreed, and better for the environment too. I've also had to replace a couple of these cracked plastic trays in these digi-packs, in the past. It's doable but it's a pain.

SatansBlues
09-14-2020, 02:04 PM
I'm just now getting a chance to listen and study the UK mix of the album. What are other folks hearing so far? I think I'm hearing a different track mix and vocal take on I Am Woman and it sounds like a different music mix on The Music That Makes Me Dance and possible vocal take/mix. People is a different track and vocal mix.

09-25-2020, 06:28 PM
Not to sound obsessive, but almost every day I look at the Funny Girl cd. I just still can not believe that it has finally received a cd release and that I have a physical copy in my hands.....LOL. So I just want to say thank you again for everyone that was involved in making this a dream come true :D

lucky2012
09-25-2020, 07:46 PM
Just received my copy today. It is beautiful and wonderfully done. Thanks, George, Andrew, Joe Marchese, Real Gone Music and Second Disc Records. I feel a real sense of some normalcy restored in my life in this pandemic time.

Jimi LaLumia
09-25-2020, 09:08 PM
Got my copy today from Amazon.. like to help influence the Amazon sales chart.. Sounds great great packaging..

drlorne
09-25-2020, 09:35 PM
very helpful Carlo. Thanks

Circa 1824
09-25-2020, 09:37 PM
I just now ordered mine from Amazon, and it will be delivered tomorrow. Now, that’s fast !

marybrewster
09-25-2020, 09:51 PM
I love this release. ♡

franjoy56
09-25-2020, 11:01 PM
Very well said. Mary and cindy appear con t original recording w t andantes. They can be heard on several tracks but even better without t session singers on t 2nd disk

franjoy56
09-25-2020, 11:08 PM
Very well said. Mary and cindy appear con t original recording w t andantes. They can be heard on several tracks but even better without t session singers on t 2nd disk
According to t booklet jules wanted all three girls but berry took t tapes back t Detroit and added t session singers w and w/o Mary and cindy on at least one track.

blkfrost
09-30-2020, 04:53 PM
I brought the digital files when it came out last year. I am very happy to have it in physical format. Now, if we can only get "On Broadway" with the Temptations on CD. I believe that is the last Supremes related album not released.

Ollie9
10-01-2020, 07:31 AM
My copy arrived today and I’m thrilled with it. Went straight to disc 2. The sound quality really is superb. Why BG thought it necessary to add additional singers is a complete mystery to me when Mary and Cindy do a great job. The booklet is informative and contains some stunning pics. I really hope Ross78 or Reflections are ready to go.
Many thanks to all involved.

Circa 1824
10-01-2020, 09:10 AM
I really hope Ross78 or Reflections are ready to go.
Many thanks to all involved.

“Or” ?? How about “and”

:)

Ollie9
10-01-2020, 09:59 AM
“Or” ?? How about “and”

:)

I nearly said it but thought I might be tempting fate. :eek:

Circa 1824
10-01-2020, 10:03 AM
I nearly said it but thought I might be tempting fate. :eek:

I hear you, but none of us are getting any younger. When we are all gone, who will be buying these cd's ??

Circa 1824
10-01-2020, 10:06 AM
BTW, on this current re-release, I am enjoying disc 1 more than disc 2. Diana is brilliant on every cut. She was amazing being so young at the time and doing the entire recording in a few days. She was so under-rated.

Ollie9
10-01-2020, 10:41 AM
I hear you, but none of us are getting any younger. When we are all gone, who will be buying these cd's ??

Excuse me!!. I will have you know i’m celebrating my 21st birthday this Saturday. Your more then welcome to join the party Circa.....Seriously though, i know where your coming from. It’s all very frustrating.

Ollie9
10-01-2020, 10:52 AM
BTW, on this current re-release, I am enjoying disc 1 more than disc 2. Diana is brilliant on every cut. She was amazing being so young at the time and doing the entire recording in a few days. She was so under-rated.

Ive been playing it all day. My neighbours are wondering what’s going on hearing me sing “His Love Makes Me Beautiful” for the tenth time lol. I had forgotten just how good her vocals really are on this album. The fact it was recorded in such a relatively short space of time is amazing.
A lot of people look down on this album, thinking it pales when compared to that of the Streisand soundtrack. To my ears it’s equally as good and certainly deserves as much recognition.

sup_fan
10-01-2020, 10:57 AM

i enjoy both. it's almost as if it's two completely different records. Disc 1 is the solo Diana Ross project where she's backed by a beautiful choir of voices that increase and decrease throughout the material as needed.

Disc 2 is more of a group outing and you can imagine the trio in the studio standing side by side

DWSheffer
10-01-2020, 11:30 AM
I've been sticking mostly to disc 2 myself, as I have with most of these sets, enjoying the stuff I haven't heard over and over as I have the original albums. It's always nice though to hear ALL the material in the clearest, purist format available to us today!
Darin

Bluebrock
10-01-2020, 11:42 AM
Excuse me!!. I will have you know i’m celebrating my 21st birthday this Saturday. Your more then welcome to join the party Circa.....Seriously though, i know where your coming from. It’s all very frustrating.
I'm sure it is equally frustrating for George, Andy and the other guys when they have to wait an eternity for Diana and Universal to approve these releases, and even more frustrating when one or both parties refuse to sanction them. I know just how difficult it is to obtain clearance for products that we all know would be welcomed with open arms by the ever dwindling army of fans. We just need to exercise patience and feel safe in the knowledge that these guys are doing their very best to bring us these magnificent expanded editions. Hopefully our patience and understanding will be rewarded in the not too distant future.

Ollie9
10-01-2020, 12:06 PM
I'm sure it is equally frustrating for George, Andy and the other guys when they have to wait an eternity for Diana and Universal to approve these releases, and even more frustrating when one or both parties refuse to sanction them. I know just how difficult it is to obtain clearance for products that we all know would be welcomed with open arms by the ever dwindling army of fans. We just need to exercise patience and feel safe in the knowledge that these guys are doing their very best to bring us these magnificent expanded editions. Hopefully our patience and understanding will be rewarded in the not too distant future.

Fingers crossed Bluebrock that it will be in this life and not the next. As Circa points out, other then myself none of us are getting any younger........Alas!.

Bluebrock
10-01-2020, 12:24 PM
Fingers crossed Bluebrock that it will be in this life and not the next. As Circa points out, other then myself none of us are getting any younger........Alas!.
Amen to that Ollie!

carlo
10-01-2020, 12:29 PM
I am loving this release, like the rest of you. I am going to have to go back and re-visit disc 2 again, but after listening to it, I had the same thought that I had, back when I was listening to the digital release. I came away from it, noticing that Mary and Cindy did not do nearly as many background vocals for this project, compared to the amount of background vocals that was later added by The Andantes, The Blackberries, etc. Again, going by memory and not really listening 100% as closely as I should have, some of these tracks on disc 2 are more like Diana Ross solo tracks, with no to very little Mary/Cindy background vocals at all, in comparison to those very same tracks on disc 1, that had the Andantes and co. added to them. This is not the case with all of the songs. I will need to go back to it again tonight to re-confirm my observations. Perhaps this occurred due to time constraints with Mary and Cindy's schedules. They logically could not spend as much devoted time in the studio as The Andantes and co. Also, I could have sworn I heard The Andantes singing a line on one of the songs on disc 2. I can't remember which one it was :) Will confirm, unless a Supreme expert here gets around to confirming before I do!

reese
10-01-2020, 01:49 PM
I am loving this release, like the rest of you. I am going to have to go back and re-visit disc 2 again, but after listening to it, I had the same thought that I had, back when I was listening to the digital release. I came away from it, noticing that Mary and Cindy did not do nearly as many background vocals for this project, compared to the amount of background vocals that was later added by The Andantes, The Blackberries, etc. Again, going by memory and not really listening 100% as closely as I should have, some of these tracks on disc 2 are more like Diana Ross solo tracks, with no to very little Mary/Cindy background vocals at all, in comparison to those very same tracks on disc 1, that had the Andantes and co. added to them. This is not the case with all of the songs. I will need to go back to it again tonight to re-confirm my observations. Perhaps this occurred due to time constraints with Mary and Cindy's schedules. They logically could not spend as much devoted time in the studio as The Andantes and co. Also, I could have sworn I heard The Andantes singing a line on one of the songs on disc 2. I can't remember which one it was :) Will confirm, unless a Supreme expert here gets around to confirming before I do!

This past weekend, I listened to the entire release, except for the stereo version. You remember it as I do: it seems there are quite a few background vocals on the original album that aren't on the Mary and Cindy version.

I don't know if that means M & C never did them or maybe some of their vocals were lost? Given that the album was recorded in a couple of days, it is possible that extra vocal arrangements were made for the additional background singers to complete as the album neared release.

In any event, George and Andy, congrats and thanks again for getting these releases out to us. I always know it is going to be a quality set when you guys are involved. And I know you're not taking requests :D, but maybe Real Gone could see about releasing DIANA SINGS SONGS FROM THE WIZ and the expanded BABY IT'S ME. I downloaded them already but it would be nice to have them in an "official" package and not my homemade versions.

drlorne
10-01-2020, 02:25 PM
I just got mine today. I found the the booklet really interesting. I found it interesting that the Blackberries did the background vocals on Funny Girl. I also thought that the background vocals tried to sound like Mary and Cindy, they were't pristine, as I would expect hired session singers would be. Thanks Harry, George, Andy and Joe Marchese and Gordon Anderson for Real Gone Music and anyone involved in this project...thank you.
A very nice tribute to John Perrone, Midnight Johnny, Nightflight on WOMR.

carlo
10-01-2020, 03:30 PM
This past weekend, I listened to the entire release, except for the stereo version. You remember it as I do: it seems there are quite a few background vocals on the original album that aren't on the Mary and Cindy version.

I don't know if that means M & C never did them or maybe some of their vocals were lost? Given that the album was recorded in a couple of days, it is possible that extra vocal arrangements were made for the additional background singers to complete as the album neared release.

Ok glad my memory didn't deceive me. :) Seems there are absolutely no background vocals on the disc 2 versions of the first two tracks, "Funny Girl" and "If A Girl Isn't Pretty". There are also other lines from songs on disc 2 that featured background vocals on the released version of the album, and do not have Mary/Cindy vocals. But then there are other lines with Mary/Cindy vocals that have no background vocal parts on the originally released album. Interesting to think about how these decisions were made to delete certain Mary/Cindy backgrounds on specific parts of songs, and not replace them at all, and then dub in new Andantes backgrounds in new spots of certain songs.

I just finished listening to disc 2 again and I am almost positive that is one of the Andantes I hear at the 1:22 mark of "The Greatest Star", when they sing the line, "Some ain't got it, not a lump, she's a great big clump of talent, laugh, they'll bend in half..." Perhaps George can confirm if that is the Andantes I am hearing on that particular line, on disc 2? If it is indeed the Andantes, then perhaps there was no useable Mary/Cindy vocal for that line and that is why the Andantes were dubbed in for those several seconds?

Love the booklet as well. Lot's of great photos. I especially loved the rare photo of Diana at the Funny Girl movie premiere. I also enjoyed reading Joe's history on the origins of the Funny Girl musical, as there was a lot of interesting information in that piece that I didn't know. This truly is 'the ultimate edition'!

reese
10-01-2020, 03:43 PM
Love the booklet as well. Lot's of great photos. I especially loved the rare photo of Diana at the Funny Girl movie premiere. I also enjoyed reading Joe's history on the origins of the Funny Girl musical, as there was a lot of interesting information in that piece that I didn't know. This truly is 'the ultimate edition'!

I would also tell people who might be completists like myself to keep the digital version of the booklet as it is slightly different from that in the Real Gone release.

carlo
10-01-2020, 03:51 PM
I just finished listening to disc 2 again and I am almost positive that is one of the Andantes I hear at the 1:22 mark of "The Greatest Star", when they sing the line, "Some ain't got it, not a lump, she's a great big clump of talent, laugh, they'll bend in half..." Perhaps George can confirm if that is the Andantes I am hearing on that particular line, on disc 2? If it is indeed the Andantes, then perhaps there was no useable Mary/Cindy vocal for that line and that is why the Andantes were dubbed in for those several seconds?

Ok when I posted this question, I had major deja vu and had a feeling that perhaps we had discussed this before and that I had likely forgotten about it. And yes indeed, my question was already addressed in a previous thread...so there are Andantes in a few spots on the new mixes :)

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread.php?11639-FUNNY-GIRL-extra-voices-on-new-mixes

George Solomon
10-01-2020, 04:02 PM
Good ears Carlo. There is one small spot in "I Am Woman" and one in "I'm The Greatest Star" where it isn't Mary and Cindy. There was no other back up vocal in those spots and it would have really been missed. In other cases if they weren't there, we didn't use them. I wish they had been on the title tune or "If A Girl Isn't Pretty." It's also possible [[and likely) that Mary and Cindy did record more vocals but perhaps when the Blackberries or Andantes recorded the new vocals, they overdubbed on the same track erasing the original vocals. We were very lucky that Mary and Cindy were still present in the places that they were. I too miss hearing some of the backgrounds that we were used to but I think it was more special to have that disc 2 be much more of a Supreme mix making the collection special. You can listen to whatever version you like. Andy always says he wants fans to have it every way on these special editions. Whether it be mono, stereo, original vocals or alternates and new mixes. For some it might be too much of the same song but for others, they want to hear it all! Really grateful for the kind comments about the release and believe me we're trying to have another ASAP!

sup_fan
10-01-2020, 04:33 PM
Good ears Carlo. There is one small spot in "I Am Woman" and one in "I'm The Greatest Star" where it isn't Mary and Cindy. There was no other back up vocal in those spots and it would have really been missed. In other cases if they weren't there, we didn't use them. I wish they had been on the title tune or "If A Girl Isn't Pretty." It's also possible [[and likely) that Mary and Cindy did record more vocals but perhaps when the Blackberries or Andantes recorded the new vocals, they overdubbed on the same track erasing the original vocals. We were very lucky that Mary and Cindy were still present in the places that they were. I too miss hearing some of the backgrounds that we were used to but I think it was more special to have that disc 2 be much more of a Supreme mix making the collection special. You can listen to whatever version you like. Andy always says he wants fans to have it every way on these special editions. Whether it be mono, stereo, original vocals or alternates and new mixes. For some it might be too much of the same song but for others, they want to hear it all! Really grateful for the kind comments about the release and believe me we're trying to have another ASAP!

george - question for you on "overdubbing"

As you mention here, if the A's or B's were overdubbed over what M and C had recorded, then it essentially erased M and C. is that right? so it essentially becomes ONLY the A's or ONLY the B's. as opposed to all of them together

then in regards to another non-Funny Girl song, we've been told that the A's were overdubbed on In And Out Of Love. does that mean M and F were erased? or are they buried in the track but still here?

floyjoy678
10-01-2020, 08:18 PM
george - question for you on "overdubbing"

As you mention here, if the A's or B's were overdubbed over what M and C had recorded, then it essentially erased M and C. is that right? so it essentially becomes ONLY the A's or ONLY the B's. as opposed to all of them together

then in regards to another non-Funny Girl song, we've been told that the A's were overdubbed on In And Out Of Love. does that mean M and F were erased? or are they buried in the track but still here?

I've wondered that too. In the case of In And Out Of Love, there's parts of the song where I feel like I hear Mary and Flo in the mix but then other parts where its just the Andantes.

blackguy69
10-01-2020, 08:52 PM
I think it was all blended together not wiped out.

I've wondered that too. In the case of In And Out Of Love, there's parts of the song where I feel like I hear Mary and Flo in the mix but then other parts where its just the Andantes.

George Solomon
10-02-2020, 11:39 AM
I'm always hesitant to answer technical questions because I'm not an expert and don't want to embarrass myself, especially if my response is read by those who really know, like Ralph or Russ. From my observation it seems if there's an open track they would often record additional background vocals and not erase what Mary/Cindy or Mary/Flo have already recorded. When listening through headphones, there are songs where you can hear Mary/Flo in one channel and Andantes in the other. Or in the case of Back In My Arms Again and others, Mary and Flo recorded two sets of vocals on separate tracks and you are hearing them in both ears. Other times there might have been only one available track so vocals were just erased or possibly the girls never recorded at all and the Andantes were all that was needed. But the explanation gets muddy because they can also create a new multitrack tape by bouncing [[or moving) one track to another, combining them and freeing a track for an additional instrument or voice.
This is getting a little long. Bottom line: Just about anything is possible.

gordy_hunk
10-02-2020, 04:03 PM
My copy arrived this evening, and I'm playing Disc 1. I've always really liked this LP, and having it now on CD is just fantastic. Listening to Disc 1, and after having read the booklet, I would never have known that it wasn't Mary and Cindy singing the background vocals. I've not yet finished listening to Disc 1, so I'll save Side 2 for tomorrow [[together with A Cellarful Of Motown Volume 5).

drlorne
10-02-2020, 09:36 PM
Thank you everyone for an enlightening discussion. Thank you George for your timely comments and attention to questions about the releases.
On a different note...this was a huge gamble for BG, why did he choose Deke to produce it...what did background did Deke have that Berry thought, this is the guy. I know Deke also produced the Farewell Album. I remember from the threads that Deke talked at length about mixing Love Child. Obviously BG held him in high regard. What was his background to have earned this?
Thanks

drlorne
10-02-2020, 10:24 PM
I'm blown away by the technology we have at our finger tips. While trying to research Deke Richards I came across a Soulful Detroit tribute to Deke on his passing by Midnight Johnny [[deceased) that had Andy, George and Harry contributing to the radio show. I think it was March 26, 2013 if anyone wants to read the transcripts. It's great that we have access to these archives still.

10-03-2020, 02:54 PM
Could we possibly get a stripped down mix of "In And Out Of Love" on "Reflections" Expanded? Or would it sound too empty or not good to the ears?

sup_fan
10-03-2020, 03:35 PM
listening to the album this week. Of course i'm enjoying it and hearing all of the magic the girls [[including all the extra girls lol) but still this just isn't my favorite broadway show. Not a dig on the album though

but it made me think when else they might have done. outside of Hair, none of the other contemporary musicals of the time would have been any better. But then got an idea i thought i'd share - see what people think of it

the Millie/Rose/Mame medley was a standout with the girls. the DMF version on Sullivan was spectacular. and then the MDC version on TOTT was wonderful. What if they built an album around that? probably would have worked best with the DMF lineup but what about this:

The album starts with the group's medley but this time each girl is sung by a girl. Diana is Millie, Mary is Rose and Flo is Mama. but rather than the full ending, the song dissolves into some dialog from the girls about their fantasies of being Broadway leading ladies [[no we don't need the Motown Genie for this lol). It would sort of be like Diana's leading lady medley from GIT

Diana would lead off with doing a few songs from Millie. then Mary would do a few Fanny Brice numbers and then Flo does a few from Mame

the album would wrap up with a reprise of their medley

Ollie9
10-04-2020, 05:16 AM
listening to the album this week. Of course i'm enjoying it and hearing all of the magic the girls [[including all the extra girls lol) but still this just isn't my favorite broadway show. Not a dig on the album though

but it made me think when else they might have done. outside of Hair, none of the other contemporary musicals of the time would have been any better. But then got an idea i thought i'd share - see what people think of it

the Millie/Rose/Mame medley was a standout with the girls. the DMF version on Sullivan was spectacular. and then the MDC version on TOTT was wonderful. What if they built an album around that? probably would have worked best with the DMF lineup but what about this:

The album starts with the group's medley but this time each girl is sung by a girl. Diana is Millie, Mary is Rose and Flo is Mama. but rather than the full ending, the song dissolves into some dialog from the girls about their fantasies of being Broadway leading ladies [[no we don't need the Motown Genie for this lol). It would sort of be like Diana's leading lady medley from GIT

Diana would lead off with doing a few songs from Millie. then Mary would do a few Fanny Brice numbers and then Flo does a few from Mame

the album would wrap up with a reprise of their medley

Sounds like it would have been a great idea sup. The Funny Girl album really is is a showcase for Diana Ross. It offered her the chance to spread her vocals wings and prove just what she was capable of. I can imagine her sitting in the film theatre, watching Streisand thinking “i could do that”. Had Fanny Brice been a black woman, Funny Girl would have been the perfect vehicle for Diana.

daviddh
10-04-2020, 12:06 PM
Just a thought.
I have the 80s anthology. ...blue n pink cover....that includes the Funny Girl medley. It is almost same as the bed sullivan show appearance but I think backing vocals may be different.

kenneth
10-16-2020, 08:39 PM
What a great release this is! I just got my copy and have enjoyed it very much already. The second disc with Mary and Cindy on the vocals is just great, and Diane really sings her heart out. The tracks with just Mary and Cindy are sparser overall vocally, some of the tracks are really Diane solo tracks, but it does give her more room to spread out so to speak and when the Supremes come in their sound is unmistakable. I think it’s fantastic.

Now for all you naysayers to the bootlegs that have been around, I must confess I have now bought this album three times in the digital era! First I bought the downloads which were released five or six years ago. Then when our friend from Germany came out with his bootleg version of the album, yes of course I had to have that because I’m not good with downloads. And now here I’ve bought it again. All this for an album which probably on vinyl I may have listened to once.

Still it was worth it. This is a great set and I highly encourage anyone who’s on the fence about it to give it a listen.

PeaceNHarmony
10-17-2020, 08:33 AM
What a great release this is! I just got my copy and have enjoyed it very much already. The second disc with Mary and Cindy on the vocals is just great, and Diane really sings her heart out. The tracks with just Mary and Cindy are sparser overall vocally, some of the tracks are really Diane solo tracks, but it does give her more room to spread out so to speak and when the Supremes come in their sound is unmistakable. I think it’s fantastic.

Now for all you naysayers to the bootlegs that have been around, I must confess I have now bought this album three times in the digital era! First I bought the downloads which were released five or six years ago. Then when our friend from Germany came out with his bootleg version of the album, yes of course I had to have that because I’m not good with downloads. And now here I’ve bought it again. All this for an album which probably on vinyl I may have listened to once.

Still it was worth it. This is a great set and I highly encourage anyone who’s on the fence about it to give it a listen.I agree all-around, Kenneth, on each and every point. Only ur-fans obtain unofficial releases so, ethically sketchy as they are I can't believe they cut into sales of official releases.

kenneth
10-20-2020, 04:13 AM
I agree all-around, Kenneth, on each and every point. Only ur-fans obtain unofficial releases so, ethically sketchy as they are I can't believe they cut into sales of official releases.

No, not with me anyway, but I always have to have everything!

mowsville
10-20-2020, 04:32 AM
Exactly Kenneth..I bought the bootleg too because it was the only way to get it for me....but now there is an official release I will wholeheartedly buy that.

TNSUN
10-20-2020, 06:46 AM
Diana Ross loves to entertain the world.The proof is in this joyous album. In the 60's I bought it on the same day that I bought "The Supremes Greatest Hits"! Just as Fanny Brice, someday someone will write a Broadway Show, inspired by a theme of Diana Ross.

Bluebrock
10-20-2020, 08:44 AM
She is in tip top form on this glorious album. It was never a favorite of mine, but guess what? - it is now! I am enjoying it way more than i could ever have imagined. I would love to hear Ms Ross's thoughts on this release. I have a feeling she will be belatedly proud of it.

drlorne
10-20-2020, 10:08 PM
I agree Bluerock...her voice is spellbinding....there is power, exuberance, phrasing and joy.
And it singable... This was done in a short amount of time, she must have worked really hard. I imagine by this time she had voice coaching in order to perform like this, and continue on doing her concert engagements.

George Solomon
10-23-2020, 03:47 PM
A big thank you to Adam White for this wonderful blog on the release.

https://www.adampwhite.com/westgrandblog/funny-returns

Bluebrock
10-23-2020, 04:39 PM

You already know what i think about this George. Everyone involved in this release should be thoroughly proud of themselves.

lucky2012
10-23-2020, 05:45 PM

Fascinating! Thanks again, George, Andrew, Harry.

kenneth
10-23-2020, 11:55 PM
What a great article that was. Well worth reading. You guys are amazing. How fun to learn how you all came to love this music so much.

daviddh
10-25-2020, 01:30 PM
This was not a favorite of mine but ..wow..amazing all the way around.
Glad to have Mary and Cindy's vocals .and diana's lead vocal shows incredible growth...
More...more...more

daviddh
10-25-2020, 01:34 PM
Booklet says at the end whether On Broadway could be released in the future.
Another album I am not a fan of.to many chopped up medleys but to be fair....I haven't listened to it in years..
I'll take Reflections or love child please

JohnnyB
10-25-2020, 04:03 PM
Booklet says at the end whether On Broadway could be released in the future.
Another album I am not a fan of.to many chopped up medleys but to be fair....I haven't listened to it in years..
I'll take Reflections or love child please

My Christmas wish list - Based on fan response to FG, Real Gone releases both a physical Baby It’s Me and Reflections in time for Christmas!

vgalindo
10-25-2020, 08:39 PM
My Christmas wish list - Based on fan response to FG, Real Gone releases both a physical Baby It’s Me and Reflections in time for Christmas!
That would be great. But I’m still hoping for Ross 78.

JohnnyB
10-26-2020, 12:51 AM

Hmmm, maybe all three? Yes, I’m being greedy...

Bluebrock
10-26-2020, 03:11 AM
I don't think Ross78 is imminent, but hopefully the other two are on the way. Fingers crossed!

Ollie9
10-26-2020, 08:31 AM
From a purely personal perspective and at this point in time, l would prefer to have anything other then G.I.T On Broadway as the next release. Not one of my faves.
I’m really hoping that the next expanded release will be ‘Reflections’, to hopefully include the complete Disney songs on a two cd package. That might be a tall order for Santa to manage this year, but here’s hoping early 2021. ;)

Bluebrock
10-26-2020, 10:17 AM
From a purely personal perspective and at this point in time, l would prefer to have anything other then G.I.T On Broadway as the next release. Not one of my faves.
I’m really hoping that the next expanded release will be ‘Reflections’, to hopefully include the complete Disney songs on a two cd package. That might be a tall order for Santa to manage this year, but here’s hoping early 2021. ;)
We all have our own personal wish lists.
Personally i would settle for anything that Universal will authorise for release.

sup_fan
10-26-2020, 10:44 AM
Personally i would settle for anything that Universal will authorise for release.

personally i'd vote for some Lost & Found sets. of course i don't know what all is in the vault still but I don't know that there's tons of DRATS stuff left. yes there are 3 or so Disney songs that still haven't been released. but rather than rehashing the 10 or so that HAVE been released just to make a "Disney EE" i'd rather get as many new tracks out as possible. so a L&F eliminates having to stick to one album or timeframe.

Also i'd skip the new 2020 mixes of things. they're fine but frankly i'd rather have the original content. Like with Sing HDH, we got a 2020 mix of You Can't Hurry Love. it's fun to listen to but we've yet to receive the original mix of the unedited YCHL with the instrumental break. we got an alt version of it on the previous L&F but with the different lead vocal. the original was released on the US reel to reel version of A Go Go back in the 60s. and i believe on the Japanese Greatest Hits.

Bluebrock
10-27-2020, 03:44 AM
personally i'd vote for some Lost & Found sets. of course i don't know what all is in the vault still but I don't know that there's tons of DRATS stuff left. yes there are 3 or so Disney songs that still haven't been released. but rather than rehashing the 10 or so that HAVE been released just to make a "Disney EE" i'd rather get as many new tracks out as possible. so a L&F eliminates having to stick to one album or timeframe.

Also i'd skip the new 2020 mixes of things. they're fine but frankly i'd rather have the original content. Like with Sing HDH, we got a 2020 mix of You Can't Hurry Love. it's fun to listen to but we've yet to receive the original mix of the unedited YCHL with the instrumental break. we got an alt version of it on the previous L&F but with the different lead vocal. the original was released on the US reel to reel version of A Go Go back in the 60s. and i believe on the Japanese Greatest Hits.
I enjoy the 2020 mixes. They are fun to listen to.
I don't believe there is much in the way of unreleased material left in the vault. We have already had a L&F. Other than the Disney tracks, a few alternate versions and live recordings i don't think there is much in the way of HDH tracks and other vintage tracks.
However there is a substantial amount of 70's Supremes stuff in the vault. A L&F of 70's tracks would be wonderful. If we can get that one day along with Reflections and Love Child expanded i would die a happy man.

Ollie9
10-27-2020, 04:24 AM

I doubt it’s up for negotiation Bluebrock, but still one can wish. :)

Bluebrock
10-27-2020, 08:48 AM
I doubt it’s up for negotiation Bluebrock, but still one can wish. :)

You just may be surprised Ollie.
Don't lose faith. There are people working hard to make these releases happen.

sup_fan
10-27-2020, 10:36 AM
I enjoy the 2020 mixes. They are fun to listen to.
I don't believe there is much in the way of unreleased material left in the vault. We have already had a L&F. Other than the Disney tracks, a few alternate versions and live recordings i don't think there is much in the way of HDH tracks and other vintage tracks.
However there is a substantial amount of 70's Supremes stuff in the vault. A L&F of 70's tracks would be wonderful. If we can get that one day along with Reflections and Love Child expanded i would die a happy man.

it's not that i don't enjoy or like the 2020 mixes. but i don't know that we can count on many subsequent releases. so focusing on a specific album means the can't really utilize material from too far outside of that album's period. a L&F would allow them to gather tracks from any and all projects and lineups. With a 2-cd set, we only have so many tracks to fit in. I'd rather they filled it with as many unreleased tracks as possible rather than 2020 mixes

thommg
11-10-2020, 11:46 AM
A new review of the Deluxe set just out on Talkin' Broadway.
https://www.talkinbroadway.com/page/sound/november1020.html

Ollie9
11-10-2020, 01:25 PM
A new review of the Deluxe set just out on Talkin' Broadway.
https://www.talkinbroadway.com/page/sound/november1020.html

Thanks for posting thommg, l enjoyed reading this.